Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Winter Under the Stars

I liked Sandy Dennis in THE OUT-OF-TOWNERS. She played opposite Jack Lemmon very well. She was also good in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (for which she won an Oscar) and THE FOUR SEASONS.

She had a strange, halting way of speaking lines(IMO) but a few minutes into a film I wouldn't notice it anymore.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Oneeyeopen said:

Just happens that Sandy Dennis is on right now, co-starring in Splendor in the Grass with Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood on TCM. It goes off at 2:30 a.m.  

What a happy coincidence!

5 hours ago, cinemaman said:

I  enjoyed  Sandy  Dennis  in  the  films  Sweet  November  and  The  Out of  Towners. One more  good  film  that I  liked ,  is  The  Fox.

She's hilarious with Jack Lemmon in THE OUT OF TOWNERS.

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.51.27 AM.jpeg

• Like 2

WarnerBros.com | Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? | Movies

She won the Oscar for Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf (1966). I love the movie and she is OK in it, but overplays it bit. I prefer her in Up The Down Staircase, she was much more sublte and less "twitchy".

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

WarnerBros.com | Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? | Movies

She won the Oscar for Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf (1966). I love the movie and she is OK in it, but overplays it bit. I prefer her in Up The Down Staircase, she was much more sublte and less "twitchy".

Speaking of twitchy, she's perfectly neurotic in a 1972 TV movie directed by Steven Spielberg.

It's called SOMETHING EVIL. I watched it on YouTube a year ago. It may still be posted there and available for viewing.

I never really warmed up to Sandy Dennis, but I admit I haven't seen a lot of her movies. I get utterly exhausted with her every time I watch Who's Afraid with Virginia Woolf?, but The Out of Towners is really funny. She has a small part in Splendor in the Grass.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Speaking of twitchy, she's perfectly neurotic in a 1972 TV movie directed by Steven Spielberg.

I saw that many years ago, I did not even remebered she was in it. I recall Johnnie Whitaker (Jody from Family Affair) gets possessed in that one.

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I saw that many years ago, I did not even remebered she was in it. I recall Johnnie Whitaker (Jody from Family Affair) gets possessed in that one.

It also features Ralph Bellamy, not long after his turn in ROSEMARY'S BABY. It's a very well-made horror/thriller for television. Sandy Dennis really gets into the extreme pathos of the situation. The story starts slowly and gradually builds.

• Thanks 1

Our third child star is 

DEAN STOCKWELL.

He played Gregory Peck's son in GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT (1947).

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 4.34.28 PM

Then he was THE BOY WITH GREEN HAIR (1948).

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 4.13.05 PM.jpeg

And later he went on a CATTLE DRIVE (1951) with Joel McCrea.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 4.37.42 PM

• Like 4

I liked Dean Stockwell in ANCHORS AWEIGH with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra and THE SECRET GARDEN with Margaret O'Brien. He had a good blend of cute, spoiled and precocious in his acting.

0b0e33cf4ef42bd6b3b9ff0da198a924.jpg

• Like 1

Dean Stockwell is one of a few child actors who managed to have a career after age 40.

Other child stars who were still on film include Jackie Cooper, Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Reynolds, Roddy McDowell who might have been younger than 40 in Planet of the Apes, and Mickey Rooney .

I probably missed a few.

• Like 1

Our third precode star is

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.01.49 PM

GLORIA STUART

She had the  bejeezus scared out of her by Karloff in THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932).

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 2.58.15 PM

She befriended THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933).

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 3.49.28 PM.jpg

She caused trouble with Eddie Cantor in ROMAN SCANDALS (1933).

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.00.04 PM

And she was one of THE GOLD DIGGERS OF 1935 who dug her way into Dick Powell's heart.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.03.15 PM

• Like 2

I love Sandy Dennis. She was a wonderful, versatile actress. My favorite performance of hers is Up the Down Staircase (1967), but I enjoy everything I see her in. 

Dean Stockwell doesn't get the credit he deserves. For his child performances, I like The Green Years (1946) and Gentleman's Agreement (1947).

However, he really shines when he becomes an adult. I think he is excellent in Compusion (1959) and Sons and Lovers (1960). I wish he had done more films in the 1960s because he was talented. Fortunately, he did have a career revival in the 1980s. 

I'll also note I have not seen, but would like to watch Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962) at some point in the future.

Here's a fun fact: Dean Stockwell is one of three actors to receive multiple Best Actor awards from the Cannes Film Festival. He shared the Best Actor award with Bradford Dillman and Orson Welles (one of his best performances) for Compulsion (1959) and shared with Jason Robards and Ralph Richardson for Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962). 

• Like 2

Your intent is to highlight Dean Stockwell as a child star, but I must confess I mostly know him from his adult roles, and he is a rare actor to go on from child stardom to a very long and successful adult career. I suppose I first became aware of him through Blue Velvet and the TV show Quantum Leap, and I'm only still slowly discovering some of his child roles. It was maybe my third viewing of Gentleman's Agreement that I realized he was playing Gregory Peck's son.

Some other movies I've seen him in as a child:
Anchors Aweigh (1945)
The Secret Garden (1949)

And as an adult:
Compulsion (1959)
Sons and Lovers (1960)
Paris, Texas (1984)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Your intent is to highlight Dean Stockwell as a child star, but I must confess I mostly know him from his adult roles 

Some would probably say the same about Jodie Foster if I highlighted her as a child star. Her roles as an adult (earning two Oscars) certainly overshadow her early days as a child/teen star in several Disney flicks.

• Thanks 1
On 1/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, TopBilled said:

Our third precode star is

GLORIA STUART

I liked Gloria Stuart in POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL and REBECCA OF SUNNYBROOK FARM, both with Shirley Temple. She seemed to be cast often in support of child stars, but she was charming in them.

Of course, she was also good as the older version of Rose in TITANIC.

• Like 1
Just now, sagebrush said:

I liked Gloria Stuart in POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL and REBECCA OF SUNNYBROOK FARM, both with Shirley Temple. She seemed to be cast often in support of child stars, but she was charming in them.

Of course, she was also good as the older version of Rose in TITANIC.

Thank you. Yes, she was also in a film with Freddie Bartholomew.

Another excellent choice, TopBilled. I've really enjoyed all the stars you have highlighted.

Gordon MacRae was a sensational singer and created movie magic with Shirley Jones.

Carousel (1956) is my favorite of their two movies and I think MacRae's defining moment is his performance of "Soliloquy". I haven't seen Oklahoma or Carousel in several years, so here's hoping they air some time in the future. 

I also like MacRae in a Fox musical called The Best Things in Life Are Free (1956) with Ernest Borgnine and Dan Dailey.

• Like 1
On 1/10/2021 at 2:32 PM, Oneeyeopen said:

Other child stars who were still on film include Jackie Cooper, Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Reynolds, Roddy McDowell who might have been younger than 40 in Planet of the Apes, and Mickey Rooney .

I probably missed a few.

Natalie Wood!  

And Jodie Foster who was already mentioned.  Anna Paquin springs to mind but she's a bit of a lesser star.

A while back I was watching some of Shirley Temple's later movies.  Various impressions were 1) she grew up to be really good-looking, 2) she was quite bad as a grown-up actress, and 3) the films were terrible, "Fort Apache" excepted and she was sort of an extraneous character in that one.  I watched "That Hagen Girl" with her and Ronald Reagan and it is just weird and bad and creepy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Our fourth musical star is

GORDON MACRAE.

Another couple of good MacRae musicals are THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE with Dan Dailey and THE DESERT SONG with Kathryn Grayson.

• Like 1

Our fourth villain or villainess is

GALE SONDERGAARD.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.23.03 PM

She appeared in A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1942) with Brian Aherne.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.24.03 PM

She wanted to get her hands on THE LETTER (1940).

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.20.14 PM

And Watson & Holmes got tangled in her web in THE SPIDER WOMAN (1943).

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.30.59 PM

• Like 2

And a non-villainous role as Mrs. Dreyfus in "The Life of Emile Zola".

Won an Oscar for "Anthony Adverse" but for the life of me I can't remember what she did in that movie.

• Thanks 1