Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Winter Under the Stars

I love beautiful Gale Sondergaard. She is good in everything. She was very as good as Lady Thiang in ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM (stereotype aside) and wonderful as Tylette the cat in THE BLUE BIRD.  I also liked her in a couple of Bob Hope films: THE CAT AND THE CANARY and MY FAVORITE BLONDE. Also, she was good in THE MARK OF ZORRO, JUAREZ and THE BLACK CAT to name a few.

Sadly, her husband, director Herbert Bieberman, was  one of "The Hollywood Ten", which completely stalled her film career after 1950.

6629059_1027444972.jpg

• Like 1

Gale Sondergaard Was the Original Wicked Witch in The Wizard of Oz! –  (Travalanche)

She was originally cast as The Wicked Witch Of The West in Wizard Of Oz. She was going to be sexy and slinky like the Wicked Queen in Snow White, then the producers decided that bad witches should be ugly, so they cast Margaret Hamilton.

• Like 3

Gordon Macrae, wonderful singer. I sing all the songs from Oklahoma. When they “People Will Say We’re in Love, and Surrey with a Fringe on the Top I melt. Loved with Cagney , Doris Day and Virginia Mayo in West Point Story.

• Like 1

Our fourth character actor is

SYDNEY GREENSTREET.

He made his motion picture debut in THE MALTESE FALCON (1941).

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 7.02.44 PM

He was outfoxed by Zachary Scott in RUTHLESS (1948).

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 5.02.12 PM.jpeg

And he learned that you cannot judge a book by its cover when he investigated Rosalind Russell in THE VELVET TOUCH (1948).

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 6.39.04 AM

• Like 3

My favorite performance from Sydney Greenstreet is in THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS. I also enjoy his comedic role in CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, sagebrush said:

My favorite performance from Sydney Greenstreet is in THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS. I also enjoy his comedic role in CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT.

Have you seen Flamingo Road,  the noir with Joan Crawford.    This is Sydney at his worst (as far a character),  but as his best as an actor.

Crawford and Sydney were made to go at each other!   

Flamingo Road (1949) | Reality Is Scary

• Like 3

Our fourth western star is lovely

BARBARA HALE

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 5.02.36 PM

She taught Hugh O'Brian how to show a bit of leg in SEMINOLE (1953).

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 5.07.00 PM

She interacted with Brod Crawford in LAST OF THE COMANCHES (1953).

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 5.04.45 PM

She married Randolph Scott in 7TH CAVALRY (1956).

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 5.00.27 PM

She felt protected by Joel McCrea in THE OKLAHOMAN (1957).

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 4.58.15 PM

• Like 3
On 1/13/2021 at 4:20 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Gale Sondergaard Was the Original Wicked Witch in The Wizard of Oz! –  (Travalanche)

She was originally cast as The Wicked Witch Of The West in Wizard Of Oz. She was going to be sexy and slinky like the Wicked Queen in Snow White, then the producers decided that bad witches should be ugly, so they cast Margaret Hamilton.

I always loved Margaret Hamilton's story about being cast as the Wicked Witch. She said that when she asked what part they wanted to give her in Wizard of Oz she was told "The Witch, what else?".

• Haha 1

I almost exclusively know Barbara Hale from the Perry Mason TV series.

I thought she was great in THE WINDOW as Bobby Driscoll's mom. Natural beauty, too.

c7e4ed2e8d097f80c9323cca2871d172.jpg

• Like 1

Barbara  Hale   was   good   in  The  Far  Horizons  and  i   enjoyed  the  movie, The  story  of  the  Lewis/  Clark  expedition and  the  movie  had  beautiful  photography. Barbara  had  a  great  cast  to  work  with  Fred  MacMurray ,  Charlton  Heston and  Donna  Reed.

• Like 1

Two things about Barbara Hale: 1) She has one of the most beautiful speaking voices of any actress. 2) I love the scene in A Lion is in the Streets where the swamp gal Flamingo (Anne Francis) wants to feed her to the alligators.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kingrat said:

Two things about Barbara Hale: 1) She has one of the most beautiful speaking voices of any actress. 2) I love the scene in A Lion is in the Streets where the swamp gal Flamingo (Anne Francis) wants to feed her to the alligators.

Totally agree about her speaking voice. She just had so much to offer any role in which she was cast.

Our fourth post-code star is

JACK NICHOLSON

From ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST (1975) 

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 3.56.39 PM.jpeg

To TERMS OF ENDEARMENT (1983)

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 8.02.22 PM.jpeg

To BATMAN (1989) there's only one Jack Nicholson.

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 8.39.20 AM.jpeg

• Like 3

Jack Nicholson is always good, but I think my favorite performance of his is from AS GOOD AS IT GETS. He was creepy, neurotic, abrasive, and yet endearing.  My favorite line from the film is when Carol (Helen Hunt) says to him "When you first entered the restaurant, I thought you were handsome... and then, of course, you spoke." 😄

• Haha 1

Our fourth child star is

VIRGINIA WEIDLER

3f9ce-screen.png?w=660

She had lead roles in GIRL OF THE OZARKS (1936) and BAD LITTLE ANGEL (1939).

b913b-screen2bshot2b2016-06-212bat2b10-38-532bam.png?w=267&h=319

She played supporting roles in THE WOMEN (1939) and THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940).

Screen shot 2015-05-25 at 12.34.17 PM

In every film, on every occasion, she always put her BEST FOOT FORWARD (1943).

d8d24-screen2bshot2b2016-06-212bat2b11-13-272bam.png?w=265

• Like 2

Virginia Weidler's delivery of one liners in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY are only matched by Ruth Hussey's. 

Her scene in THE WOMEN in which Norma Shearer is explaining to her why she is obtaining a divorce is a good example of the range she had.  I think my favorite role of hers is in THE GREAT MAN VOTES with John Barrymore.

tumblr_inline_pa4pv6ChBj1s6lxse_500.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Virginia Weidler's delivery of one liners in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY are only matched by Ruth Hussey's. 

Her scene in THE WOMEN in which Norma Shearer is explaining to her why she is obtaining a divorce is a good example of the range she had.  I think my favorite role of hers is in THE GREAT MAN VOTES with John Barrymore.

tumblr_inline_pa4pv6ChBj1s6lxse_500.jpg

She certainly held her own, opposite legends like Norma Shearer, John Barrymore and Katharine Hepburn.

• Like 1

Our fourth precode star is

handsome RICARDO CORTEZ

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.41.49 PM

Dolores Del Rio got caught up in his charms.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.40.09 PM

So did Kay Francis.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.37.30 PM

He was still charming women a few years later alongside Charlie Chan.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.35.05 PM

That was in Reno. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.34.13 PM

• Like 6

I liked Ricardo Cortez' interpretation of Sam Spade in the 1931 version of THE MALTESE FALCON. I also thought he was good in THE SORROWS OF SATAN with Adolphe  Menjou  and TORRENT, which was Greta Garbo's first American film.

1024px-Poster_-_Torrent,_The_(1926)_01.jpg

• Like 2

Our fifth musical star is

ALICE FAYE

Her most remembered films at 20th Century Fox include

LILLIAN RUSSELL (1940)

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 6.28.31 PM

And THE GREAT AMERICAN BROADCAST (1941)

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 5.43.46 PM

She also tried a non-musical, FALLEN ANGEL (1945).

screen

• Like 3