Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Winter Under the Stars

I like Alice Faye's deep singing voice. A couple of my favorite films of hers are ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND with Don Ameche and Tyrone Power and TIN PAN ALLEY with  Betty Grable.

In the mid 1990s, she made an appearance at the Stanford University Theater to introduce a double feature of her films during a month-long salute to her career. She was funny, engaging, sharp and still beautiful.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpdocRd5Y1o92z5n5J528

• Like 2

I like Randolph Scott. While we are honoring his villainous roles, I think he's great in The Southerner (1945) as the struggling farmer with Betty Field. A most worthwhile film directed by Jean Renoir.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Athos said:

I like Randolph Scott. While we are honoring his villainous roles, I think he's great in The Southerner (1945) as the struggling farmer with Betty Field. A most worthwhile film directed by Jean Renoir.

I think you meant Zachary not Randolph. I agree he's excellent in THE SOUTHERNER showing that he could play sympathetic characters. However, when he signed on at Warner Brothers they quickly typecast him as gangsters and assorted cads. Of course he was wonderful in any role.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I always thought if you looked up the word "smarmy" in the dictionary there would be a picture of Zachary Scott

That's the perfect word to describe his characters!

I mentioned earlier that THE MASK OF DEMETRIOS had  one of my favorite Sydney Greenstreet performances. The same goes for Zachary Scott in the film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I think you meant Zachary not Randolph. I agree he's excellent in THE SOUTHERNER showing that he could play sympathetic characters. However, when he signed on at Warner Brothers they quickly typecast him as gangsters and assorted cads. Of course he was wonderful in any role.

Yes, I don't know what I was thinking at the time. I had the actor's picture and name above me, commented on the film I like, and still wrote Randolph! This is what happens when one doesn't read over their entry! 

I agree, he was always compelling in his performances.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Athos said:

Yes, I don't know what I was thinking at the time. I had the actor's picture and name above me, commented on the film I like, and still wrote Randolph! This is what happens when one doesn't read over their entry! 

I agree, he was always compelling in his performances.

They were both in COLT. 45 (1950).

Our fifth character actor or actress is

AGNES MOOREHEAD.

She was delirious in THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942).

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 12.50.23 AM

She was trouble in DARK PASSAGE (1947).

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 12.54.27 AM

She was 105 in THE LOST MOMENT (1947).

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.43.33 AM

She was a good listener in ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS (1955).

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 12.57.30 AM

• Like 3

The first time I saw Agnes Moorehead on film (she had always been Endora on BEWITCHED to me thus far) was in CITIZEN KANE. I remember thinking to myself that she had the most wonderful eyebrows I had ever seen. 😄 I thought she was also very memorable in THE BIG STREET as Lucille Ball's friend and as Aunt Aggie in JOHNNY BELINDA.

My favorite performance of hers is in MRS. PARKINGTON as Walter Pidgeon's friend Aspasia.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

The first time I saw Agnes Moorehead on film (she had always been Endora on BEWITCHED to me thus far) was in CITIZEN KANE. I remember thinking to myself that she had the most wonderful eyebrows I had ever seen. 😄 I thought she was also very memorable in THE BIG STREET as Lucille Ball's friend and as Aunt Aggie in JOHNNY BELINDA.

My favorite performance of hers is in MRS. PARKINGTON as Walter Pidgeon's friend Aspasia.

I think she had four Oscar nods as supporting actress. For THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, MRS. PARKINGTON, JOHNNY BELINDA and HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE. Each role was quite different. I agree that she's a lot of fun to watch in MRS. PARKINGTON.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Caged (1950) Ruth Benton (Agnes Moorehead) Evelyn Harper (Hope Emerson) –  Wolfmans Cult Film

One of her best and most sympathic roles was as the progressive warden in Caged, playing opposite Hope Emerson as the monstrous prison guard

Yes that’s another great one. I concur. 

7 hours ago, sagebrush said:

That is my favorite as well. Agnes is such an asset to any movie. If you are able to find The Blue Veil online, she is great in a small part as a rich woman who casually destroys Jane Wyman's chance for love.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, kingrat said:

That is my favorite as well. Agnes is such an asset to any movie. If you are able to find The Blue Veil online, she is great in a small part as a rich woman who casually destroys Jane Wyman's chance for love.

Are you sure it wasn't Jane frumpy 50s hairdo?      Agnes is more stylish in this film than Jane.

The Blue Veil, from Left: Jane Wyman, Natalie Wood, 1951' Photo |  AllPosters.comAGNES MOOREHEAD IN THE FILM "THE BLUE VEIL" 8X10 PUBLICITY PHOTO ZZ-409  Actors

• Haha 1

Our fifth western star is Rory Calhoun.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 5.29.14 PM

He steams up the screen with Yvonne De Carlo in RAW EDGE (1956).

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 5.30.39 PM

He gets a kiss from Joanne Gilbert before it's time to RIDE OUT FOR REVENGE (1957).

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 6.24.11 PM.jpeg

And he gets ready for his close-up.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 5.27.38 PM

• Like 2

I think I only recall seeing three films in which Rory Calhoun appeared. There are two musicals with Betty Grable, HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE and MEET ME AFTER THE SHOW, and a film with Susan Hayward, WITH A SONG IN MY HEART.

• Like 1

Although it is not a western, he plays an old time movie cowboy in Angel (1984) an entertaining exploitation film about a high school girl (Donna Wilkes) who moonlights as a Hollywood hooker. Calhoun's character is now an eccentric who hangs around  Hollywood boulevard still clad in his western garb and six guns. He becomes a hero at the end.

Angel Year : 1984 USA Director : Robert Vincent O'Neill Rory Calhoun Stock  Photo - Alamy

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 4:42 AM, sagebrush said:

I think I only recall seeing three films in which Rory Calhoun appeared. There are two musicals with Betty Grable, HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE and MEET ME AFTER THE SHOW, and a film with Susan Hayward, WITH A SONG IN MY HEART.

Yes, those were films from his Fox years...all in Technicolor.

On 1/22/2021 at 7:06 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Although it is not a western, he plays an old time movie cowboy in Angel (1984) an entertaining exploitation film about a high school girl (Donna Wilkes) who moonlights as a Hollywood hooker. Calhoun's character is now an eccentric who hangs around  Hollywood boulevard still clad in his western garb and six guns. He becomes a hero at the end.

Never heard of this one before. Looks interesting.

Love Karen Black in just about everything she did

Karen Black, an iconic actress whose career spans decades

Here she is with Henry Gibson in Nashville, she played a country music singer, after meeting actress Julie Christie, she says "Who's Julie Christie?" Gibson says "She won an Academy Award for one them movies, I don't know which one it was,,,"

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 9:06 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Angel Year : 1984 USA Director : Robert Vincent O'Neill Rory Calhoun Stock  Photo - Alamy

He was also in the 1985 follow-up AVENGING ANGEL  in which he reprised his role.  And, IMHO, though neither could be what you'd call "great film making",  They're fun enough to watch and pass time with.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 3:42 AM, sagebrush said:

He's also quite good in A BULLET IS WAITING, which TCM showed when Jean Simmons was SOTM a few years back. A plane crashes near Big Sur, and the only survivors are an accused murderer (Rory Calhoun) and the lawman taking him back to Utah (Stephen McNally). They manage to get to a ranch owned by Brian Aherne (absent, though he shows up later) and his daughter (Jean Simmons, looking very sexy in blue jeans). It's a kind of "chamber Western" like THE NAKED SPUR, but with a contemporary setting. I like it a lot.

• Like 2

Rory  Calhoun's  biggest  western  he  was in  The  River   of  No  Return   with  Robert  Mitchum  and  Marilyn  Monroe. I liked the  movie  and  have the dvd. Karen  Black  is one most  versatile  actress  in  Hollywood,  she  could  act  in  different  genres .

• Like 1