Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Our Favorite Brunettes

JackFavell

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > Has anyone mentioned Natasha from "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show"?

> >

> > natasha3.jpg

>

> :D So what actress do you think they may have used as a model for Natasha? I loved her heavy Russian accent. Too funny.

I once read that it was a combination of Garbo and Tallulah Bankhead, which is kind of bizarre to me.

Hey Bronxie!

Sorry if I creeped you out with Virginia Leith photos. :(

That is a perfect description of Natasha.... Garbo and Tallulah.

Both Bronxie and Cinemafan,

thanks for posting Anne Bancroft - those are all great photos! I meant to mention how much I love 84 Charing Cross Road. I didn't have much hope for it as a movie after reading the book, but then when I watched it, I thought Bancroft was just super. They really did a great job transferring the book to the screen. What a treat to see a photo from it.

Timothy - Super pictures of Richard Burton, thank you! I love him.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> *timothy* -

>

> that first Richard Burton photo is so beautiful. I've never seen him looking so handsome. :x

>

Ahem! He looks rather like that in Bitter Victory.

Just tempting you. :D;)

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Timothy - Super pictures of Richard Burton, thank you! I love him.

>

> > {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> > *timothy* -

> >

> > that first Richard Burton photo is so beautiful. I've never seen him looking so handsome. :x

> >

>

>

> Ahem! He looks rather like that in Bitter Victory.

>

> Just tempting you. :D;)

It's working..... it's working! :D

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}Are those brunettes in order of preference, or just random? I'm curious if you have a top favorite, and I see from another thread that you like making lists. How about a top ten (or more) list of brunettes? You can do top ten males and top ten females if you like. I'd love to see your preferences.{quote}

The women are in order of favorite actresses. The men aren't in order of anything. I just picked three of my favorite dark men and stuck 'em up there. You saw I like lists, ay? Well, you already know a lot about me then. I would very much like to make a top 10 for both my actors and actresses! I shall get on it in a bit. At the moment I am watching Wuthering Heights and would like to shift my attention back to Olivier. ;)

When I am done with the glossy-eyed stare fest I am currently engaging in, I will get right on that list! Am I to do it like I did previously with the pictures? Or no pictures?

However you want to do it is fine!

I prefer to list without photos myself, since photos take some time for me to post. And I'd love to know your reasons why each person is a favorite, if you have the time to include a short line or two about each choice.

Thanks for joining in!

In the meantime, here are some brunettes with other pets, co-stars and props:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josephine Baker and her pet leopard

Photobucket

Jimmy Stewart and Harvey

Photobucket

Randolph Scott

Photobucket

Gloria Swanson

Photobucket

Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur

Photobucket

Frida Kahlo

Photobucket

Dirk Bogarde

Photobucket

Katherine Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby

Photobucket

Audrey Hepburn

Photobucket

Photobucket

Audrey Hepburn and Ip

target="_blank">Photobucket

Pier Angeli and Danny Kaye in Merry Andrew

Photobucket

Dorothy Lamour and Jiggs

Photobucket

Lucille Ball

Photobucket

Ava Gardner in Mogambo

pippocloseup.jpg

I know the dog show is practically over but I am just now catching up with this thread having been detained by a protracted sojourn In A Lonely Place so I hope you don't mind if I post this wonderful specimen of dogdom. This fella does not belong to me but he has such a remarkable face and I have always thought that he could serve as a poster dog for boxers everywhere. His nose is a little fuzzy but it does nothing to to the view of this remarkable face. His name is Pippo. Thanks.

Very well. I shall do it without photos then; I am not yet so speedy at posting pics.

Now, for this list I will only do my dark haired actresses and actors. Which is pretty close to my all around favorites list, because like I said, I lean more towards the brunettes. I really have no idea why I'm that way. Oh, and I apologize that I am only going to list their names. I at first did have all my reasons for liking them written out, but my computer lost connection, and it all got erased. Then I tried two more times to re-post, and it continued to fail. I haven't the time to rewrite it all, so forgive me for only doing five of each with no reasons.

Actors:

1. Cary Grant

2. Jimmy Stewart

3. Laurence Olivier (A darn fine looking man he was. Good gosh...)

4. Charlie Chaplin

5. Gregory Peck

Actresses:

1. Audrey Hepburn

2. Bette Davis

3. Judy Garland

4. Vivien Leigh

5. Irene Dunne

I have a favorite on screen kiss between two brunettes...Cary & Audrey on that cruise boat on the Seine. Gawsh, I LOVE that scene w/Charade playing in the backround, the twinkling lights and their dialogue as they slip under that bridge. It gets me every time!

You know, I knew I was forgetting someone, so in honor of the first real doggie star, here you go, some Rinty:

Photobucket

Darryl Zanuck, Jack Warner and Lee Duncan with Rin Tin Tin

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rinty with Edward Bellande

Photobucket

Rinty and Rusty

> {quote:title=Edythevanhopper wrote:}{quote}

> I have a favorite on screen kiss between two brunettes...Cary & Audrey on that cruise boat on the Seine. Gawsh, I LOVE that scene w/Charade playing in the backround, the twinkling lights and their dialogue as they slip under that bridge. It gets me every time!

I couldn't find the moment you are talking about, but here are some photos from *Charade*:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

> {quote:title=DramaDamsel wrote:}{quote}

> Actors:

>

> 1. Cary Grant

> 2. Jimmy Stewart

> 3. Laurence Olivier (A darn fine looking man he was. Good gosh...)

> 4. Charlie Chaplin

> 5. Gregory Peck

>

> Actresses:

>

> 1. Audrey Hepburn

> 2. Bette Davis

> 3. Judy Garland

> 4. Vivien Leigh

> 5. Irene Dunne

What a fantastic list, DramaDamsel! I like your addition of Charlie Chaplin into the mix. I see Cary and Audrey are right at the top.... Hope you enjoyed the Charade photos. I am so sorry that you had trouble posting.... it was supposed to be something fun to do, not a chore! Thanks for going ahead and posting anyway.

I love to see what actors and actresses people like, and how they rank them.

Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh are favorites of mine too, they were so lovely together.

I tried going through lots of Charde clips and couldn't find it either. It takes place right after the famous shower scene w/Cary showering in his suit. Audrey replies she needed to go dine where there were lots of people....Thanks for your pictures Jack. I didn't find those either. Still learning.

> {quote:title=Edythevanhopper wrote:} tried going through lots of Charde clips and couldn't find it either.{quote}

I found the scene! Right [here.|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6aLflpPAQ&feature=PlayList&p=9F0D63C659648065&index=52|] Kiss is around :45. Enjoy!

"Well, come on." Love it.

I went to see *Coco Before Chanel* the other night. I have a sort of a fascination with Chanel, mainly because she was unknowable, except through her work.

I don't think it would be off base to post some photos of her here. She worked in Hollywood, though briefly and quite unsuccessfully. Her fashions were too elegant and spare for Hollywood's golden age, and she did not work within the studio system well. To put it bluntly, they did not like her, and she did not like them. However, her fashions influenced Hollywood and the world to a huge extent - she created the signature trends of the twenties and thirties almost single handedly. And of course, the forties suit would never have come into being without Chanel.

Chanel thought herself ugly, and in fact, was considered to be hopelessly unattractive when she was young. Chanel was quite a small woman, straight and slim, like a boy. Her body was not compared favorably to the robust and rounded figures that were popular in the Edwardian era. Most women would try to conform to prevailing styles and fashions. Chanel made fashion come to her, she made her "look" the most fashionable and popular style around the world and she did it within ten years. She must have been a hugely fascinating and remarkable person, to have captured people's imagination so.

Not only did she free women from the torture of corseting and hobble skirts, in the long run, she also made it easier for women with less money to afford decent clothing. When she became sunburned one summer at the Riviera, women all over the world began suntanning, and for the first time in history, dark skin became beautiful.

So excuse me while I veer, maybe not too wildly, astray.

*Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel:*

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I really like Audrey Tautou. She is a fine actress, has done some extremely good movies, and she has a great gamine look. She bears a resemblance to Chanel already, and I liked that she was able to capture some of the hardness of the woman for the movie. She really did a good job with what she was given. Chanel had a brutal early life, and she tried hard to hide her real background and feelings from everyone. She was a strict and some thought, an obdurate person. She was also a liar, at least about her background. She protected herself and her business at all costs. I felt the movie tried too hard to make us "understand" or "like" her. Somehow, I think Chanel was more complex, enigmatic and far more exciting in real life.

*Coco Before Chanel* played like a Lifetime movie... and in fact, there was a Lifetime movie made not too long ago starring Shirley MacLaine. I was expecting more from this film. So why turn one of the most unapproachable and mysterious figures in history into just another person exactly like you or me? She certainly wasn't just like everyone else. She would have scoffed at the thought. The woman did not want to be known. Let's allow Chanel, like her clothing and her perfume, to remain INDEFINABLE.

*Audrey Tautou:*

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket