Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Our Favorite Brunettes

JackFavell

Well, let's move on.

Someone mentioned John Hodiak to me - this person noticed that he had a killer smile..... let's find out. Yes! He does!

Personally, my favorites are the ones where he is curly headed and messy, like in Lifeboat. It makes him look so he-man.... I also love the tender ones with Lana Turner (and her braids) and sweet little Connie Marshall.

Oh, and this one. Yeah. Killer smile:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

With Lana Turner

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

With Lizabeth Scott and Mary Astor in *Desert Fury*

Photobucket

Photobucket

With Clark Gable in *Command Decision*

Photobucket

With Ava Gardner and Robert Taylor in *The Bribe*

Photobucket

With Charles Laughton in *The Bribe*

Photobucket

From the stage play of *The Caine Mutiny*

Photobucket

With Preston Foster,Angela Lansbury, and Judy Garland from *The Harvey Girls*

Photobucket

With Judy Garland from the Harvey Girls

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

From *Lifeboat*

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

*Somewhere in the Night* with the beguiling Nancy Guild (pronounced like wild)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

with Rafael Campos in *The Trial*

Photobucket

Photobucket

With Anne Baxter, 1947

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

With Connie Marshall

Hey there Ms Favell.... I have been too busy lately to travel around this board much... but I took a quick look in here today, and WOW. You've got a LOT going on.

First, I wanna say I know NOTHING about Coco.. but wow was she something (at least in those pics you posted) and thanks for the comments you made about her life and her "fashion". It was an interesting read. (and that gal that played her in the new film... gee... she is a VERY close resemblance)

And then NEXT...ha... the other day I was reading SOMETHING on here somewhere and the name John Hodiak came up. And I am thinking to myself... who the heck is John Hodiak.. ha. And then I look in HERE and I said, OH, so THAT'S John Hodiak.. ha. I even watched the Harvey Girls the other night (again) and was trying to recall WHO that was playing Judy's love interest... (and I just never had the time to go in to look it up for myself.) So THANKS for solving THAT little mystery for me. Ha. I have not seen too many of his films, but I did enjoy him in THG the other night. (and wow.... watta BRUNETTE!!) ha.

And finally... MISS G!! Great pics of Tyrone Power... oh me, oh MY! ha. And ha.. as I was scrolling down I was just wondering to myself... I wonder what he would look like without his hair all combed back (a la Hollywood 40's and 50's style) and more "natural looking" like men wear their hair today.... and then BINGO..ha. there was the pic of him (the black and white) down toward the bottom of your list... FABULOUS!) ha.

Great job gals. Thanks for the fun "view". :-)

Thanks Ro! I am glad that you were interested in the Chanel post, because I thought that I had pretty much bored everyone to tears.....

As for the John Hodiak photos, I'm glad I could be of service. I always liked him in *The Harvey Girls*, but never paid much attention to his name. I knew there was a John Hodiak, and that he had a mustache, but any more than that was out of the question. But then I realized he was in *Lifeboat*, which I really love, and I love him in it. I guess I have to catch up with the noirs (I know Maven is going to jump in and tell me to immediately find a copy of The Arnelo Affair).

I have to admit, in that one photo of the four leads walking toward the camera, I could not bring Preston Foster's name to memory.....I knew I knew him.... but.....couldn't get that name. I spent five minutes staring blankly at the screen trying to figure out who he was and had to look up the cast list, because for the life of me I could not even remember he was in the movie! My bad.....so we all have our little moments.....

Maybe the more modern hair was what caught my eye in that one photo of Ty. I just know that he looks GOOD!

Edited by: JackFavell on Nov 20, 2009 1:16 PM

Hey Jackaaaaaaay, looking at your Hodiak pictures, you know...he reminded me of John Travolta. Squint, you'll see the resemblance.

And as for Tyrone Power, if ayone is interested in seeing him 24 frames per second, see:

Saturday, Nov. 21st 2009

"THE LONG GRAY LINE" (1955)

A gorgeous brunette (Tyrone Power) and a gorgeous redhead (Maureen O'Hara) directed by a sly old fox (John Ford).

Something to watch when you first wake up or...just coming in. ;-)

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Then it's one I must see b'cuz I've never seen it in its entirety. But tell me, what do you mean by "authentic performance"?

I mean he's so natural and free of having to be confined by his looks or the romantic hero. He's just a simple man, plain spoken, small-scale. I never would have credited he could pull such a character off. It's like Thomas Mitchell was playing the role, not one of the greatest "matinee idols" in movie history! He deserved an Oscar.

Just contrast he and Maureen here to their earlier pairing in the very entertaining swashie, The

Black Swan, and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, and he's very funny, too. :)

"I mean he's so natural and free of having to be confined by his looks or the romantic hero. He's just a simple man, plain spoken, small-scale. I never would have credited he could pull such a character off. It's like Thomas Mitchell was playing the role, not one of the greatest 'matinee idols' in movie history! He deserved an Oscar." - MissGoddess.

I see what you mean, having watched the film this morning. Tyrone Power gives a very under-

stated performance. I didn't realize his resume included John Ford. What a heart-breaking burden it must have been for Power to have lost many roles he wanted to explore, b'cuz of his blindingly good looks. He was very under-rated.

By the by, "The Black Swan" will air on the Fox Movie Channel on Wednesday, November 25th, at 10:00AM.

Thanxx again for those gorgeous photos of a gorgeous man who just wanted to do good roles.

Archived