Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

Our Favorite Brunettes

First to MissGoddess: I never thanked you for the full length color photo of Elizabeth Taylor in that pink Giant dress. It's my all-time favorite costume because even though the time frame is the 1920'sor so I could see myself wearing it in modern times-of course not as well as she did.

R/O talked about the contoversary over Scarlett Street's "immoral" storyline. Johnny does get the chair for a murder he did not commit and Chris appears to best the rap for Kitty's but the end shows this not to be true. Having to live with what he's done and knowing he's virtually non-existant is worse than execution. Johnny has killed in his heart so often it's hard to be sympathetic to his fate. This is real life with everything not neatly wrapped up at the end yet justice is served in a better way than most Law & Orders ever end. Good film.

I couldn't agree more, wouldbestar, and I am glad you got to see it.

I suppose justice is not really served in Scarlet Street per se, but each gets their own special brand of retribution. In the end, the slate is wiped clean for everybody.

As far as I am concerned, Dudley Nichols, the writer, was a genius. And I'll ditto this for Lang. For me, this is noir at it's best, and in the top three of my Fritz Lang list.

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh

The swimming trunks, HAVE MERCY

No one can touch him.

Every woman WANTS to touch him.

No equal.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jun 5, 2011 7:12 PM

Shhhh. don't say anything about the trunks... I don't want that pic to get censored overnight.

Wait...I have to go look again.

God! Just looking through those pics again.... he was perfection. PERFECTION. Sexiest, best looking man ever? I think so.

Pics from *Blood and Sand* for Bronxie:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The photos you posted below of Valentino are great! The very last one, with the headdress is stunning. That is my fav'rite shot of him. It says it all! Thanxx girl! Ha! We're keeping Rudy's memory alive single-handedly.

I know he practiced several disciplines in his exercise routine but most of the great physique probably had to due with boxing. He certainly was ahead of his time. That is why we continue admiring him today. By the way, anyone knows what film he appeared in as a Native American?

0007photo.jpg

Rudolph_Valentino_12.jpg

2607835240101587001HZtByd_fs.jpg

Edited by: metsfan on Jun 6, 2011 5:40 PM

Interesting article, thanks Wendy. I can't leave out the man of a thousand faces. Later on I will add more of my favorite silent actors.

pic.JPG

Oooh, I can't wait! That photo really captures Chaney so well - the expressive hands, the power and gracefulness he had, and his sad eyes. I never really noticed before, except maybe in *Tell it to the Marines*, but he has the most rugged, perfect jaw I think I've ever seen. He was such a good looking man, and he spent his life covering it up.

?Now is not the time to tell you I don't like Jean Simmons either, is it? I know. I'm a freak of nature.? - << ( JACK FAVELL ) >> - 6/10/11

Why?

Wendy, you've described Lon Chaney so perfectly! Thanks for admiring him as much as I do. I think he was adept at conveying emotions so well from observing his own parents. Growing up in silence must've forced him to learn many things on his own and communicating with them through sign language gave him the sensibility he needed for his characters. He was just naturally gifted and amiable with everyone.

Antonio Moreno

Antonio_Moreno_actor%20hispano.jpg

Temptress-110.jpg

I was drawn by his portrayal in "The Temptress". Here was a man losing his dignity to a woman that did not value or deserve his love. The whip fight was dramatic! Then I thought he was great in "Mare Nostrum". His character didn't have much to do in "It" but I enjoyed the film. Antonio had a love for wood carving which I find interesting and he was very good at it.

AMCR.jpg

Poor Porter Hall - surrounded by all these good looking men!

It's funny you mentioned Antonio Moreno, since I just saw him in a clip yesterday, which made me want to go back to watch him in The Temptress and It. I haven't seen Mare Nostrum. He had such a long career - I'd like to see some of his Spanish language films of the thirties.

I'm not that familiar with Porter Hall but he looks like an animated character. He probably came out in some films I've watched but my mind is bad. I'll have to go back and check.

Porter Hall's in everything. You probably won't remember him - he comes and goes quickly most of the time. For me the standout roles are as the southwestern newspaper boss Jacob Q. Boot in *Ace in the Hole*, and as the Justice of the Peace in *The Miracle of Morgan's Creek.* "BOLT THE DOOR, MARIAH!"

His voice is gruff and twangy and that's how I usually notice him in a movie first.

Hmmmmmmm...Antonio is good with his hands, Rudy is good with his hands...I think, but don't quote me, that I see a pattern here.

Tony Curtis is a favorite brunette, and Some Like it Hot is a lot of fun, Misfit!

I have posted pics of him before but I have no idea how to find them. When I try to get to that page, I find nothing there.

Isn't it funny?

I have a few pictures of my gangster sweetheart *Joseph Calleia*, looking like other actors. He was so good, he could literally make himself look like Hollywood's other character actors. :D

Calleia as Brian Donlevy:

Photobucket

Calleia with Paul Muni makeup job:

Photobucket

Calleia with another Paul Muni makeup job (yikes!):

Photobucket

Calleia as Akim Tamiroff:

Photobucket

Calleia as Reginald Gardiner:

Photobucket

Calleia as Richard Whorf in Yankee Doodle Dandy

Photobucket

Calleia as John Gilbert:

Photobucket

OK, OK, it really IS John Gilbert. I had this picture in my Joseph Calleia file and thought I'd have a little fun with you.

Calleia as John Hodiak (sorry for the blurry screencap - there's the shadow of a strategically planted bush in front of his face since he is supposed to be roughing it in "the wild" here.)

Photobucket

Calleia as Wallace Ford (OK I know it's a stretch... but I think his pits are waaaay better)

Photobucket

Calleia as Calleia (sigh...I heart him so much):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Great pics! It's funny how makeup or a different hairstyle can transform a person. I don't know if these have been mentioned but I'll add them anyway.

Conrad Veidt - The tall, gaunt man with hypnotic eyes that first captured audiences in a German theater.

catphoto.jpg

tumblr_lgbx1n3lOU1qf9hteo1_500_large.jpg?1297282164

46-conrad-veidt.jpg

146378b.jpg

Ramon Novarro - Talented actor with a great voice that deserved a better fate.

ca5nnxy6mo02oy0x.jpg

flying-fleet-novarro.jpg

Ramon_Novarro-02.jpg

John Gilbert - The man who should have never suffered a broken heart by Garbo.

4135-1.jpg

3279802.jpg

Ian Keith - An underrated actor whom I enjoy watching on screen.

loylonghairthegreatdividekeith.jpg

CHRISTINE_OF_THE_HUNGRY_HEART.jpg

Clive_Brook_R13-422x600.jpg