Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Had My First Experience Ever of Being Denied Access to a TCM Movie on a Streaming Service

3 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Just saw your message TB. When did Paramount put the Cheaters out on DVD? I looked on Ammy and other places and I only see public domain/individuals selling what are probably bootlegged copies. Now if you meant THIS ...

The Best of Cheaters Too Hot for Broadcast 4

...now there are PLENTY of copies of THAT kind of Cheaters! :)

Just funning with you TB. Merry Christmas.

Except I really couldn't find a legit DVD/Blu release of Cheaters (1945) anywhere. 

You're right. Wow. I thought this one had been released by Paramount/Olive. 

It's good TCM has been airing it.

Incidentally, THE MIRACLE OF THE BELLS (1948) was an RKO release that was bought by Republic (probably because they were planning to do a remake). It is now controlled by Paramount. And it definitely did have a DVD release by Paramount's subsidiary Olive Films. I know, because I purchased a copy of it.

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You're right. Wow. I thought this one had been released by Paramount/Olive. 

It's good TCM has been airing it.

Incidentally, THE MIRACLE OF THE BELLS (1948) was an RKO release that was bought by Republic (probably because they were planning to do a remake). It is now controlled by Paramount. And it definitely did have a DVD release by Paramount's subsidiary Olive Films. I know, because I purchased a copy of it.

I've got a copy of that one too, and a bunch of other Olive releases that were originally Paramount. Very good transfers. 

• Like 1
On 12/24/2020 at 1:00 PM, midwestan said:

I waffled for many years before I cut the cord last year.  Even as  I endure the disappointment of not being able to watch programs on TCM, there are plenty of other stations I can watch to pass the time, or listen to music, or surf the web, or even read!  I watch movies on other stations I can add to my Roku system.  Granted, many of these films are not high-quality in content or technical aspects.  Some people refer to them as 'B' movies.  I'd go further and say they're more like 'C- or D+' movies!  You can find plenty of stuff though that can range from the categories of "Better Than Expected" to "So Bad, It's Good" to "What In The Hell Did I Just Watch"!  There are no channel numbers to memorize or punch into your remote when you switch stations, which can be a bit tedious, but by and large, you're paying less money per month and there's a lot LESS CRAP to navigate through.   I might be getting only a third of the stations available to me since I ditched cable television in 2019, but I'm paying half the price to watch TV that I used to, so that's a win in the financial column for me.

I also considered 'bundling' too, but after talking to other people who had done it, the cost to have my internet, television, and phone service with one company would have cost as much, if not more than the combination of bills for all 3 services from separate companies after the 6-month trial offer expired.  A relative of mine had all 3 with the same company.  Two years ago, a tornado damaged the nearest cable television transfer station and I was without cable television for 46 hours, but I still had phone and internet service, which were with a different company.  The relative lost all their service for more than a couple of days, so they couldn't make or receive phone calls on their landline, nor watch television or surf the web either!

I have Directv and they have TCM on their second cheapest package (I think the cheapest is just locally available TV networks).  I have to renegotiate the price every so often, in order for that to work out for me.  The Internet connection is separately through my cable company, just Internet only, 3 MB/s.  That is the lowest speed I am willing to tolerate, and I have been at that speed for a very long time.  It is good enough for downloading audio or video podcasts, then watching on that computer.  A 2 GB podcast (2 hours or so of video in HD) downloads in typically 10-12 min or so.  I usually watch video this way if I can, rather than stream live, as downloading first completely eliminates playback glitches due to transient Internet quality.

There was someone on here who recommended Pluto.tv to me.  It is a free ad-based Internet streaming service with some old TV shows.  I tried that and realized it had some issues (on their end).  After some investigation I found out that others have documented that their website creates a memory leak, which in my case based on the amount of memory installed on one of my machines (4 GB), crashes the browser after about an hour and a half of viewing.  They have it heavily weighted down with Javascript, so you watch it the way they want you to watch it.  I had my computer's system resource meter up at the same time and was watching the memory usage increase over time.  That problem is unique to Pluto.tv for me, it has never happened to me with YT or any other like websites.  Someone even mentioned that this happens on their Roku or Smart TV.  So that is about the extent of my streaming experiences for now.  Caveat emptor.

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I have Directv and they have TCM on their second cheapest package (I think the cheapest is just locally available TV networks).  I have to renegotiate the price every so often, in order for that to work out for me.  The Internet connection is separately through my cable company, just Internet only, 3 MB/s.  That is the lowest speed I am willing to tolerate, and I have been at that speed for a very long time.  It is good enough for downloading audio or video podcasts, then watching on that computer.  A 2 GB podcast (2 hours or so of video in HD) downloads in typically 10-12 min or so.  I usually watch video this way if I can, rather than stream live, as downloading first completely eliminates playback glitches due to transient Internet quality.

There was someone on here who recommended Pluto.tv to me.  It is a free ad-based Internet streaming service with some old TV shows.  I tried that and realized it had some issues (on their end).  After some investigation I found out that others have documented that their website creates a memory leak, which in my case based on the amount of memory installed on one of my machines (4 GB), crashes the browser after about an hour and a half of viewing.  They have it heavily weighted down with Javascript, so you watch it the way they want you to watch it.  I had my computer's system resource meter up at the same time and was watching the memory usage increase over time.  That problem is unique to Pluto.tv for me, it has never happened to me with YT or any other like websites.  Someone even mentioned that this happens on their Roku or Smart TV.  So that is about the extent of my streaming experiences for now.  Caveat emptor.

I have a smart TV with Roku built-in, and a Roku stick on another older set.  Neither has shown problems with Pluto.   I've never watched Pluto on my laptop or desktop, so I can't comment on its performance on those.   About the only thing I watch on Pluto is Sky News, whenever there's a UK story breaking.  I'll toggle between that and BBC World News.

Most of the entertainment programming on Pluto is from the CBS/Viacom family.

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

I have a smart TV with Roku built-in, and a Roku stick on another older set.  Neither has shown problems with Pluto.   I've never watched Pluto on my laptop or desktop, so I can't comment on its performance on those.   About the only thing I watch on Pluto is Sky News, whenever there's a UK story breaking.  I'll toggle between that and BBC World News.

Most of the entertainment programming on Pluto is from the CBS/Viacom family.

Everything's always changing, so it could be that issue has been mitigated for certain stand-alone device(s) since that report I read, which would be good.

It was a repeatable thing though on my computer, independent of browser, and only ever happened with that website.  That is the machine that i use for watching all Internet media, so it sees a bunch of different sources.

This problem seems to be getting worse for 'streamers'.  There are 3 offerings from TCM that I won't be able to watch today; "The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry", "A Little Romance", and "Overboard".  Oh well, I'll find other ways to entertain myself, but it's no less frustrating that the first and third films on this list are ones I've never seen before.  In the meantime, I'll dream of better days according to the title of the Judy Collins song, "Someday Soon" 😊

On 1/3/2021 at 9:22 AM, midwestan said:

This problem seems to be getting worse for 'streamers'.  There are 3 offerings from TCM that I won't be able to watch today; "The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry", "A Little Romance", and "Overboard".  Oh well, I'll find other ways to entertain myself, but it's no less frustrating that the first and third films on this list are ones I've never seen before.  In the meantime, I'll dream of better days according to the title of the Judy Collins song, "Someday Soon" 😊

This is an odd one.  YouTube TV didn't allow me to watch Overboard live as it aired on TCM, but it did allow me to record it and watch it later.

• Like 1