Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Obscure Christmas movies of the past

Welcome NICK.  And I remember that one.  I thought it was pretty good.  And my daughters too, liked it as well.  They were 10 and 7 years old (respectively) when we were watching it while making one of those long chains out of construction paper one afternoon.  It was on our cable service's TMC(The Movie Channel) in '72.

Thanks for reminding me of it.  Maybe now I'll finally get around to looking for a copy of it somewhere.  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Yes, I remember when "The Gathering" first aired. It was a made for TV movie. I recorded it many years ago on a VHS tape when it aired on a local channel.

A few other obsure Christmas films come to mind. There was "It Happened One Christmas" with Marlo Thomas which was a remake of "It's A Wonderful Life" with Marlo as the female version of George Bailey. That was from 1977.  Then there was "Christmas Eve" in 1986 with Loretta Young about a dying woman wanting to reunite her family for Christmas. These were also made for TV movies. 

• Thanks 1

The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) is somewhat a movie. It's before cable when you were held hostage by bad Christmas specials no matter what channel you turned to. Here is the whole thing if you want to watch it. The worst thing to happen to Star Wars until Disney got hold of it. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Santa Claus (1959)

Oh, I have got to see this!

Unfortunately, the movie's cult reputation on MST3K (yep, I watch it every year) makes it too easy to confuse when I tell people I sit down with the criminally under-appreciated Santa Claus: the Movie (1985):

santaclausthemovie1985.0111.jpg
Which most folks know absolutely nothing about except for parroting old pop-cult Howard-the-Duck "big-budget flop" jokes from the 80's, despite the fact that David "But we don't want the Irish!" Huddleston makes an absolutely fantastic Santa.  🎅

(...Two Blazing Saddles quotes in one day?  I better take a break. )

Believe me, my fourth grade self was planted squarely in front of the den TV for the Star Wars Holiday Special which I was pretty sure was the most important television program ever. I came away from it a little underwhelmed.

I probably saw this Bob Hope special too if the Star Wars parody was part of the promo commercials, and certainly it was. If it had anything to do with Star Wars at that time, I was on it.

The Man in the Santa Claus Suit (1979)

The mysterious owner of a costume shop rents a Santa Claus suit to three very different men: a math teacher trying to get the nerve to propose, a homeless restaurateur trying to hide from the mob, and a harried political speech writer visiting with his estranged wife and son. Their lives are inexorably changed by their experience of playing Santa Claus.

A Christmas Without Snow (1980)

This is a very simple quiet holiday movie about a diverse group of people, many of them extremely lonely, who come together as a choir to learn and sing Handel's Messiah for a church Christmas performance. Micheal Learned plays Zoe Henson, the central character. John Houseman plays the choir director, Ephraim Adams, and is basically doing his Professor Kingsfield act from the Paper Chase - extreme discipline and brutal honesty tempered with compassion.

First aired on the day after John Lennon was murdered in 1980.

• Like 1