Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can You ID These People Please?

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

edit: You all did a good job!  OZZIE was the only face I recognized - all were too small...

Yes, everyone did such a great job!  A signed picture of Bob Cummings was in that pile also.  There were some old articles.  A small article on James Cagney.  A small picture of the Dead End Kids (but without Leo Gorcey).  Other pictures also that I can't recall right now.  A few people I never heard of, but were labeled.

Lori

1 hour ago, Lori Ann said:

Yes, everyone did such a great job!  A signed picture of Bob Cummings was in that pile also.  There were some old articles.  A small article on James Cagney.  A small picture of the Dead End Kids (but without Leo Gorcey).  Other pictures also that I can't recall right now.  A few people I never heard of, but were labeled.

Lori

I knew LEO GORCEY's nephew, Lloyd, who was a wonderful generous person who spoke well of LEO

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

A signed picture of Bob Cummings was in that pile also

He was in a play at the Country Dinner Playhouse in Austin many, many moons ago.  My grandmothers, one from Indiana & one from Florida, were visiting and we went to the show.  He must have been like a teen idol to them 'cause they certainly were awe-struck. 🤣

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dianedebuda said:

He was in a play at the Country Dinner Playhouse in Austin many, many moons ago.  My grandmothers, one from Indiana & one from Florida, were visiting and we went to the show.  He must have been like a teen idol to them 'cause they certainly were awe-struck. 🤣

Bob Cummings was a good looking guy who aged nicely, as I recall.  I first remembered watching him on television shows and TV movies in the 60's.  I had no idea he made so many films for the silver screen until I started watching TCM in the late 90's.  I thought he was a good actor with a smooth delivery of lines which seemed to come naturally to him.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, midwestan said:

Bob Cummings was a good looking guy who aged nicely, as I recall.  I first remembered watching him on television shows and TV movies in the 60's.  I had no idea he made so many films for the silver screen until I started watching TCM in the late 90's.  I thought he was a good actor with a smooth delivery of lines which seemed to come naturally to him.

Same here:    I didn't know he was one of those "old time" actors since my first exposure to him was on T.V. and he, while in his 50s (he was born in 1910),  looked younger.  

He received his first credit in a film,  So Red the Rose, in 1935.      Always found him charming and best suited in romantic comedies.    Cummings was in my favorite Jean Arthur film, The Devil and Miss Jones,   and the Olivia DeHavilland film Princesses O'Rourke (1943).  

Some knock him for his performance in the serious film,  Kings Row (1942),   but I think he holds his own in the film (maybe because this clearly was the best work done by Ronald Reagan as the other male lead?).

Hitchcock must have felt he was a sound actor,  casting him twice in Saboteur (1942) and 12 years later in Dial M for Murder.   

He was in other dramas such as The Accused with Loretta Young (1949) and Paid in Full with Liz Scott.   

During the 60s he made a silly beach kids farce.  Beach Party(1963)   but even here,  he helped ground the film as the older-dude,  will fellow vet Dorothy Malone.  

The photo with Julie Newmar is from the T.V. sitcom My Living Doll (1964).   

Devilmissjones.jpgPrincess O'Rourke - Wikipedia220px-Bob_Cummings_Julie_Newmar_My_Living_Doll.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I had to guess, probably my introduction to Bob Cummings was as one of the hosts for Disneyland's grand opening in 1955.

Disneyland Opening Day | THE CAVENDER DIARY

I recently saw "Saboteur" on TCM.  That was fun, because it had been a long time since I last saw that movie.

Saboteur (1942) - Photo Gallery - IMDb

Lori

On 12/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Don't need a signature to ID Billy Hallop. He was a Dead End Kid, was in Angels With Dirty Faces. Very familiar teenage actor

His sister was Florence Halop, who made a few movies and appeared on countless television shows.

v1.bjs3NzgxNDM7ajsxODYzOTsxMjAwOzMwMDs0N

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Swithin said:

His sister was Florence Halop, who made a few movies and appeared on countless television shows.

v1.bjs3NzgxNDM7ajsxODYzOTsxMjAwOzMwMDs0N

I loved "Night Court".  It was an underrated comedy, in my book.  Besides Florence Hallop, Selma Diamond, and Marsha Warfield also played the roles as the female bailiff (Warfield replaced Hallop who replaced Diamond after the first two actresses died) and their comedic timing and delivery of lines was laugh-inducing in their own ways😀