Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lord Love a Duck (1966)

I saw this a year or so ago in the midst of a "fall in love with Tuesday Weld" period. (She's still with us! Living comfortably in her Hollywood Hills home at age 77.) 

I like this movie for it's 60s vibe, and it's sometimes sly, sometimes corny cultural jabs. It is uneven not only in the caliber of humor, but in focus (George Axelrod said he meant to ridicule everything, but I get the feeling he was simply scatter-shooting and hoping something would get hit) and tone. It turns awkwardly, uncomfortably, somber at one point, but then, oh well ... back to the fun! 

The trailer is not an honest preview, and much of the criticism I read after seeing both the trailer and the movie indicated strongly that some reviewers saw only the trailer. Hell I'm not even sure Axelrod watched the final cut based on some of the things he said. 

But it's got Tuesday, and her friend Roddy, with Lola Albright and Max Showalter as Tuesday's divorced mom and dad, and Ruth Gordon (who provides one of the bigger laughs I took from it with her line about how her husband died) and many other familiar faces of the era..