Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you could program list of films TCM Shows New Year's Eve/New Year's, What would they be?

This was prompted by the groans I imagined myself hearing when several posters voiced negative opinions about another That's Entertainment (and sequels).  Personally, would rather not watch it again.  So, I'm asking you to share what you movies, etc. you would like to watch that night.

I am more interested in seeing your picks before sharing my ideas.

The obvious answer would be films where New Year's is part of the plot.  "The Gold Rush".  "The Apartment".  The original "Ocean's 11".  "When Harry Met Sally".  If they wanted to get really creative they could run the Russian movie "The Irony of Fate". 

• Thanks 1

People want something light on TCM (so not the TCM premiere of Shoah, my first choice if I had ten hours of programming to play with).  But they also don't want something they've seen over and over again.  My compromise, have a poll of the best comedies from 1966 to 2000, and have TCM run the winners.

21 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

More films set at New Years: The Poseidon Adventure, Old Aquaintance, Radio Days.

All of the above plus The Time Machine (1960), which starts out on New Year's Eve 1899.

(Although it would clash with our local station's tradition of showing two hours of Three Stooges as background-party fodder.)

21 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

More films set at New Years: The Poseidon Adventure, Old Aquaintance, Radio Days.

Radio Days  !  YES  !  Perfect for New Year's Eve,  it's funny and sweet and very entertaining.  And it ends on New Year's Eve.  My husband and I have often chosen to watch Radio Days  (which we own on DVD) on New Year's Eve.

A couple of other suggestions:   Three Strangers.    Technically, it's not set on New Year's Eve.  Well, not New Year's Eve in Western culture...I believe it's set on the eve of the Chinese New Year.  So still a New Year's Eve setting, in a way.  It's an unusual story, involving a beautiful,  superstitious woman who recruits two strangers,  Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre, to assist her in making a Chinese New Year's Eve wish.   Greenstreet and Lorre are great fun, as usual.  Lorre in particular plays a character against type.  It's quite a different little film,  some categorize it as a noir.  Well, maybe.  Doesn't matter, it's a cool little pic,  and stands apart from most movies set on New Year's Eve.

Another oddball suggestion:  200 Cigarettes.  It was made in 1999, and features a lot of young actors from that time.  I really like it, I think it's a lot of fun, but it may not be for all tastes.  Basically,  a young woman throws a New Year's Eve party and then is disappointed when it appears that no one's going to show up.  The film follows the stories of some of the guests she'd invited.  It's set and shot in New York City, which also makes it kind of exciting.  Again, those who only like traditional movies from the classic era might not be crazy about it, but hey, I like movies from the classic era, but I also really enjoyed 200 Cigarettes.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

A couple of other suggestions:   Three Strangers.    Technically, it's not set on New Year's Eve.  Well, not New Year's Eve in Western culture...I believe it's set on the eve of the Chinese New Year.  So still a New Year's Eve setting, in a way.

Nice suggestion of Three Strangers.   TCM could show that film along with The Shanghai Gesture.

Another noir-ish oldie is Repeat Performance.  I think Eddie Muller actually did air this for his Noir Alley New Year's Eve show.  It has a slightly Groundhog Day story, but darker.  And of course it was made years before Groundhog Day,  in 1947.  (Also, it's set on January 1st,  not February 2nd.)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Another noir-ish oldie is Repeat Performance.  I think Eddie Muller actually did air this for his Noir Alley New Year's Eve show.  It has a slightly Groundhog Day story, but darker.  And of course it was made years before Groundhog Day,  in 1947.  (Also, it's set on January 1st,  not February 2nd.)

Saw Repeat Performance for the first time when Muller showed the film.     It was nice to see Joan Leslie in such a film.

Here is Eddie's into:

• Thanks 2
14 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I mean, when Bill Murray starts trying to kill himself in multiple ways, it gets pretty dark!

Ok,  full disclosure:  although I have (of course)  seen Groundhog Day,  twice, I believe,  both times were many years ago, and I've obviously forgotten some key details.

Still, I do recall that Groundhog Day is essentially a comedy, with a happy ending.  Bill just has to keep trying until he gets it right.

The "darker" aspects of Repeat Performance involve shades of murder.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ha ha ha ha "one of the few that wasn't annoying".

Yea,  that complement reminded me of my avatar message line of:  There is nothing as bad as something not so bad.

I do like Shearer in a few more pre-code films like the one mentioned but otherwise,   she falls in the middle-of-the-pack when it comes to actresses I favor.

• Like 1

Never been able to get on the Norma Shearer train.  I liked "The Divorcee", and "The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg" is a legit classic, and "The Women" was interesting.  The rest, meh.  She was the worst Juliet ever.

We could have less appreciated musicals:  Absolute Beginners, The Young Girls of Rochefort, Bugsy Malone, The Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach, Help!, One from the Heart, Stop Making Sense, Topsy-Truvy, Yellow Submarine.  All but the first two would be premieres, and most of them are pretty light.  Perhaps we could have a classic Disney animated movie.  I liked some of the concert films premiered back in September.