Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

YAY! Good-bye to 2020 (year end reviews)

Why 2020 really was the worst year ever-

"When 2020 passes into the history books, it will carry more superlatives than a high school yearbook — and none of them good. Most deadly, hottest, most stressful, worst.

It is not your imagination: By a host of measures, 2020 was the worst year many Americans will have experienced in their lifetimes. It was a year of loss, of anxiety, of poverty and of disease. Recovering from the last 12 months is likely to define the entire decade ahead...........

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/531279-why-2020-really-was-the-worst-year-ever?fbclid=IwAR3e7VJAP21_gZWorbh4yORtsSarXo0AWqELFd9qL3yI0pC4u_u0ezLjvRk

:(

28 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

"When 2020 passes into the history books, it will carry more superlatives than a high school yearbook — and none of them good. Most deadly, hottest, most stressful, worst.

It is not your imagination: By a host of measures, 2020 was the worst year many Americans will have experienced in their lifetimes. It was a year of loss, of anxiety, of poverty and of disease. Recovering from the last 12 months is likely to define the entire decade ahead...........

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/531279-why-2020-really-was-the-worst-year-ever?fbclid=IwAR3e7VJAP21_gZWorbh4yORtsSarXo0AWqELFd9qL3yI0pC4u_u0ezLjvRk

I lived through 1968 and I thought it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

But it's a tragic reflection on the lack of progress this country has made considering 2020.

And really the last 4 years--

Have been worse for the United States in terms, not only of its International image, but also in terms of its level of civilization--

Seeing it leaning toward Behavior Tendencies You See usually only in a 3rd World developing country.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I lived through 1968 and I thought it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

But it's a tragic reflection on the lack of progress this country has made considering 2020.

And really the last 4 years--

Have been worse for the United States in terms, not only of its International image, but also in terms of its level of civilization--

Seeing it leaning toward Behavior Tendencies You See usually only in a 3rd World developing country.

I was going to say 1968 was no picnic, though I was only 4.  But I do remember the convention protests, probably because that was all that was on TV on all 3 networks for a week.  I don't remember the assassinations.  I was not allowed to watch the news back then, primarily due to the war coverage.

It's not just here either.  Quite a few places around the world, to varying degrees, became more inward looking and nationalistic in the last few years, especially in Europe.   I think what you're seeing in a lot of places reflects a panic over the globalization that has occurred in the world economy, and the "haves" worrying that they are sliding into (or have already slid into) the "have-not" category.   The global economic pie has been cut differently than it was before western corporations and manufacturers realized they can produce goods cheaper by exploiting new labor markets.  If your market sector has its blue collar jobs exported, that labor force is now vulnerable and ripe for exploitation by nationalistic politicians, who can blame your problems on others.   No real solutions have been offered from what I can tell, but it might make you feel better if you can commiserate with people in the same situation and you're listening to someone who tells you everything you want to hear.

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I was going to say 1968 was no picnic, though I was only 4.  But I do remember the convention protests, probably because that was all that was on TV on all 3 networks for a week.  I don't remember the assassinations.  I was not allowed to watch the news back then, primarily due to the war coverage.

It's not just here either.  Quite a few places around the world, to varying degrees, became more inward looking and nationalistic in the last few years, especially in Europe.   I think what you're seeing in a lot of places reflects a panic over the globalization that has occurred in the world economy, and the "haves" worrying that they are sliding into (or have already slid into) the "have-not" category.   The global economic pie has been cut differently than it was before western corporations and manufacturers realized they can produce goods cheaper by exploiting new labor markets.  If your market sector has its blue collar jobs exported, that labor force is now vulnerable and ripe for exploitation by nationalistic politicians, who can blame your problems on others.   No real solutions have been offered from what I can tell, but it might make you feel better if you can commiserate with people in the same situation and you're listening to someone who tells you everything you want to hear.

Indeed, and you're too young to remember the 1950s. But take my word for it that they were good times for many people.

Many people who did not have a Higher Education could find jobs that gave them enough money to consider themselves to be on a middle-class level without a college education.

Today the workplace needs and demands individuals who have some kind of post- High School technical, professional, or academic Education and/or Training.

Those who do not have this educational background, and expect things to be the way they were in the 1950s and 60s have been left by the wayside.

Their bitterness and you might also say laziness--

or refusal to accept reality is what has in part left us in such a bad situation.

Life goes on, just like many may have been displaced during the Industrial Revolution or and any other technical revolutionary phase.

You can blame who you want to blame, but eventually you have to get with progress and get off your butt and decide what you're going to do with your life and not blame other people for your problems--

Or drown in resentment of those who are qualified for this new employment venue.

8 hours ago, mr6666 said:

"History's Most Deadly Events": Influenza pandemic (1918-19) 20-40 million deaths;

The United States lost 675,000 people to the Spanish flu in 1918

(oh I forgot, just the flu - doesn't count :wacko:)

By the way...what about that quack earlier this year whom said we will have between 2 to 2.2 MILLION deaths in the U.S. from covid-19!  Thought I FORGOT??!!

4 Ways 2020 Changed Media: The Consumer Has Never Had More Power

"......With today's fragmented, social media-fueled pop culture environment, the consumer has never had more power.

A random tweet can derail a blockbuster movie; a stream of clever TikTok videos can create a star. And all the biggest media companies are chasing viewer tastes more intensely than ever, focusing on their streaming platforms as consumers create an increasingly personalized, fractured media diet.

Here's how all that adds up to the four biggest ways 2020 transformed media........

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/30/949269201/4-ways-2020-changed-media-the-consumer-has-never-had-more-power?utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr

:huh:

The Worst. But Not Just That.

Understanding the pain of 2020 and the promise of 2021.

"...........The idea that 2020 has been the worst year in living memory has become a cliché. And clichés, like stereotypes, mostly exist for a reason.

This year was so awful for so many people that even if you escaped it unscathed—all of your friends and family healthy and employed; your home value rising and your 401k doing well—you would still have to be a sociopath not to be heartsick for the tens of millions of people for whom this is decidedly not the case. People who lost spouses, or parents, or friends. People who lost their jobs, their homes. People who couldn’t even come together to mourn their dead or share their burdens.

Even spates of ersatz togetherness have felt lonesome. The friendzooms that began as joyful novelties in spring became, by autumn, a chore to be avoided. Our usual escapes from life’s routines became constant reminders of what we were missing...........

How can you not look back at all this misery—and at all the assholes who compounded and inflamed it—and not believe or think anything but The Worst about 2020. How can you avoid wrapping yourself around internal axles of guilt, or self-pity, or rage, or despondency? 

It’s hard. 

But human life is complicated. It is adaptable. It lingers. And we need to allow the space for that too. ........

This is also the story of 2020. Underneath everything that was The Worst were triumphs and connections and lessons and humor—and yes, happinesses that need to be acknowledged and fostered alongside the guttural desire to damn it all to hell...........

Most importantly, 2020 will always be the year that we joined together and toppled the greatest threat that our fragile union has faced in many decades. Turning out more people to vote against the president-strongman than had ever voted against anyone in American history. Turning out large enough numbers to ensure the victory was clear, to thwart his—and his party’s—attempt to overturn our democracy. 

2020 will always be loss. But it will always be that victory, too.............

Yes, we all bring the wreckage from The Worst along with us. Yes, the first weeks of 2021 will be some of the darkest we’ve seen. And no, there is no magical cure for the wounds that have been inflicted on society or those that led to us having such a cruel madman at the helm. 

You don’t have to be pollyanna. You can recognize all of this and have a very clear-eyed view of what comes next.........

s ee:  https://thetriad.thebulwark.com/p/the-worst-but-not-just-that