Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

why today's Hollywood film stars are lost on older people

simple. when these losers made it big in their first hit movies they were films a lot of americans had no interest in seeing.

for instance, what was alec baldwin's first big hit? The Hunt for Red October. I tried to sit thru it once and I couldn't even figure out why sean connery was playing a russian sub commander.

:lol:

leave deep sea adventure to the professionals.

I guess it depends on who you consider to be "today's stars". My favorite actor still current is Denzel Washington. I've seen most of his movies and really enjoy them.  I also like Matt Damon, Tom Hanks, George Clooney and Morgan Freeman.  I think they're all north of 50 . As for the "current" women; I like Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts and Jodi Foster.  They too, have been around for a while.  As for actors new to the scene, I've been impressed with Jennifer Lawrence and Jake Gyllenhaal.  Do these stars measure up to Bogart, Cagney, Hayworth or Lupino? Frankly, it's not for me to say. I'm just glad (thanks to TCM and others) we can watch them all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know Nip. Are you saying Alec Baldwin is one of "today's Hollywood stars"? He is, but he is older.  Baldwin was born the same year I was - 1958. I personally loved "Hunt for Red October".  I wouldn't say today's stars are lost on this older person, but the actual films are.  There are some politically correct rules that must be followed. One is that a person of color can never be the bad guy.  If it is  a rom com involving a family then the  father figure is often a clone of Homer Simpson - overweight, lazy, stupid. The wife of said father figure is together, attractive, smart.  What is she doing with this loser? In every single film?  I'll echo the admiration of Denzel Washington - and he is actually older than I am! Born in 1954. 

But maybe a big problem with the films of today are, for me, that they simply lack heart. Lots of them are action packed comic book films. Others are Disney films - Mulan, and their atrocious sequels to the Star Wars films. Disney of even 25 years ago could make great films. The animated Mulan was terrific. This year's live action remake is  so wooden you could make a bonfire out of it. 

Speaking of Alec Baldwin, do you know the first memory I have of ever seeing him act anywhere? He was playing a psycho preacher on Knot's Landing in the middle 80s. That's another trope of Hollywood - all preachers are either psycho, or if they are sane, they are corrupt. Eventually these PC stereotypes just get tiresome for this old woman. 

• Like 1

Well, I'm an older person not into today's stars. I even have difficulty telling some of them apart.

But I must echo what two of the posters said about Denzel Washington, who I regard as a great actor and try to watch as many of his films as I can. Denzel has been in more than his share of action films, movies lifted immeasurably by his tremendous screen presence. He plays all of the big action scenes small, with barely a hint of emotion, like a deadly cool professional in command of the moment. While he is usually a good guy, the one time he played an immoral villain in Training Day he delivered one of his greatest performances. This actor can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

But he is the exception for me when it comes to modern actors (and, at that, this "modern" actor has been around for 40 years in the business).

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

He was also a villain in American Gangster.

I forgot about that one and, truth is, I have difficulty recalling it that well. Thanks for mentioning it, though.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

simple. when these losers made it big in their first hit movies they were films a lot of americans had no interest in seeing.

for instance, what was alec baldwin's first big hit? The Hunt for Red October. I tried to sit thru it once and I couldn't even figure out why sean connery was playing a russian sub commander.

:lol:

leave deep sea adventure to the professionals.

You associate Sean Connery too much with the Jame Bond character only.  He's a great actor period regardless the type of film he's in especially "The  Hunt For Red October". Uh didn't he DEFECT in the film?

connerymain.jpg

Movie reminder the theatrical version of "Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea" starred Walter Pidgeon 

pidgeon-333333.jpg

Today the plot is ludicrous but when the film came out, the Van Allen Belt was just discovered and people in general knew very little about it.

• Like 1

That looks like a good movie! I love slow-burn detective thrillers.

And yeah, Denzel is still the lead, but he and Alec Baldwin are both past 60, right? So, yes, they are still technically "stars of today", but I think young people probably think more of Rami Malek and Jared Leto as "stars of today".

And yeah, Denzel is still the lead, but he and Alec Baldwin are both past 60, right? So, yes, they are still technically "stars of today", but I think young people probably think more of Rami Malek and Jared Leto as "stars of today".

Yes, that is probably true. And, while I hate to say it, at his age, Washington is undoubtedly in the twilight of his career.

I'm looking forward to seeing his next release, though. I hope this actor can keep going for a while yet.

• Like 1

Agreed.  To teenagers, who make up a prime market for Hollywood, Baldwin and Washington are gramps.

• Haha 2

I'm 36 and really have no interest in today's actors, or their movies/shows.  I do like Tom Hanks, John Travolta, Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Melissa Joan Hart.  I like the lovey dovey Hallmark & Lifetime movies.  I like the disaster genre.  I like the James Bond movies.

But my favorite actors?  James Stewart, Errol Flynn, Steve McQueen, Doris Day, Shirley Temple, Fred & Ginger, Red Skelton, Glenn Ford, James Cagney, Leslie Caron, Gene Kelly, James Garner, Rock Hudson.  I likes westerns, musicals, romantic comedies, gangsters.

A couple years ago, while working & listening to Sirius radio, I heard the DJ talk about an upcoming award show.  He said something like, "I don't know why I watch award shows anymore; everyone I know is in the memoriam".  I feel the same way!  I like watching award shows on fast forward, looking at the gowns, the jewelry, & then there's the memoriam.  I might know some names of the actors (presenting or being awarded), but I don't know their movie or TV show.  Either I had no interest in seeing it, or it was on a channel we don't get.

There's no movie today like "Yankee Doodle Dandy".  Nothing like "The Great Escape".  Nowhere near close to "The Wizard of Oz".  No actor today could match Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelly, or Cyd Charisse.  There will never be another James Cagney.  Even the directors!  No one can match Alfred Hitchcock, John Ford, Michael Curtiz, or Stanley Donen.  No one today does choreography like Gene Kelly or Busby Berkeley.

One thing, for me, that's a major turn off from today's movies & TV shows is the modern technology.  Also too much teen drama.  Did you act like that when you were a kid?  I know I didn't.

Lori

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

"Today's stars" changes about every 10 years.

To a teenager Clark Gable is so old, needs to be carbon dated.

That was the case for most of my cohort as well, and I'm approaching 60. He passed away before we were born.  He was born before 3 of my 4 grandparents.  When I was a teenager, most of the other kids only knew him from GWTW.

Thanks for this topic.  I'm amazed when Greta Garbo is an answer on Jeopardy (or a question) and no one gets it (even after the name is revealed).  The same with old movies.  I watch the Today Show, and they are obviously not fans of TCM.  Maybe Gloria Swanson's character (did she have an affair with Kennedy Sr.?) says it best when she said that they had faces back them.  I like some of the newer and older actors and actresses.  Unfortunately, social media and huge egos on the part of celebrities (and the ones from reality shows) have made them feel that they should dictate how others feel on politics, diet, etc.  I do not want to hear about poopy diapers and poor parenting from Mr. Clooney.

Most people,  especially Americans,  don't take the time to discover any actors or musicians that were at their peak before they were born.   A lot of that has to do with the media which promotes what is current (pop).      There are some exceptions of course,  but with actors the most famous ones are iconic for reasons outside of their film legacy (e.g. Audrey Hepburn as a fashion icon,  Monroe as the blonde bombshell of her era and her dealings with the JFK,  Sinatra etc...,   James Dean,,,  etc...

The good thing is that in the jazz world younger folks from day one are encouraged to seek the works of the "masters".   The sad thing is that few wish to explore jazz at all, ,,,, old-or-new musicians.   

"Stars" in the age of the superhero movie really don't count for much.  Does it matter who wears the Captain America costume?  Would it have mattered if they'd picked some different good-looking brunette to play Wonder Woman?  How often are these Marvel stars headlining non-Marvel movies that turn into big hits?  

Just now, Vidor said:

"Stars" in the age of the superhero movie really don't count for much.  Does it matter who wears the Captain America costume?  Would it have mattered if they'd picked some different good-looking brunette to play Wonder Woman?  How often are these Marvel stars headlining non-Marvel movies that turn into big hits?  

I'd say Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man is an example of someone who did his superhero role well and in a unique way. I actually enjoyed that one and mainly for his performance. But then he was a star before that role. 

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The good thing is that in the jazz world younger folks from day one are encouraged to seek the works of the "masters".   The sad thing is that few wish to explore jazz at all, ,,,, old-or-new musicians.   

This almost reminds me of when Leonardo DiCaprio finally got his first Oscar, and gave such a great speech.  He said, I don't remember exactly, maybe talking to young people wanting to be actors, that you have to look back to the classics.  When you think about it, today's actors were inspired by people before them, and before them, and before them.  You should look back on who inspired your idols.  I kinda flubbed all that, but maybe search YouTube for the 2016 Oscars.  It was a great speech!

Lori

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, I gotta say after watching Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Chadwick Boseman could have been a major and lasting star.

I was just about to mention him when you brought him up! He had such presence. Such a shame he died so young. And of a disease - colon cancer - that mainly gets people over 50. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1