Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

why today's Hollywood film stars are lost on older people

I agree that a lot of the movies made today don't measure up to those from decades ago. For instance most of my favorites were made well before  2000. A look back at the recent  Academy Awards for Best Picture proves that point. In my opinion other than GREENBOOK and THE KING's SPEECH , the other winners from this decade were just OK. However, I don't blame the actors for this.  They have to take what's out there or not work. There are a hand full of great films made each year, but they don't seem to draw at the box office like the Marvel action flicks and re-makes of old TV shows.  I do think the direct to cable and streaming services trend is helping.  Also, the extended series are improving the quality.  Shows like Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Yellowstone and Homeland (just to name a few) are really well made and have provided today's actors vehicles to show their talents.  I keep thinking due to COVID we will experience a drought of good material any day now, but so far that hasn't happened.  Hopefully, the hits will keep coming even though they are few and far between. 

the films of yesteryear were fun escapist journeys into often times the fantastic...and I think that is the way irwin allen approached it.

if allen should be faulted for anything it should be for the overuse of those paper mache monster heads and that irritatingly used iguanadon stock footage of his.

irwin maybe needed a pet iguana.

:D

pidgeon-333333.jpg

This post to me, reads as another "get off my lawn" type post.  There are stars of all eras, Classic Hollywood included, whose popularity is lost on me.  Most Classic Hollywood stars benefitted from being part of the studio system.  Their employer continually created and pursued parts with their star in mind. That's one of the reasons why a lot of these films still resonate today.  They are iconic and a symbol of how things "used to be" or rather, a romanticized version of how things could have been.   I wasn't alive during this period, so I don't have nostalgia for this time.  I enjoy Classic films for the escapism factor and getting to see an idea for how things were before I was born.  I  love the 90s and early 00s teen movies, because those are nostalgic for me.  I also love the teen movies from the 50s-80s because they're so  much fun.  The teenagers seem so much more mature than I feel like I was at that age, but yet they make dumb decisions and have feelings that any teenager would identify with.  I cannot relate to the more recent teenager movies, because I don't have childhood nostalgia for that era and these kids just seem so horribly immature and whiny that they aren't fun to watch.  However, for kids closer in age to the characters, they might enjoy these films.

Today's stars are all freelance employees, free to pursue whatever projects they desire.  Stars that are successful (financially) are those who luck into becoming part of a popular franchise.  Other stars, who are more interested in the acting craft are those who take more risks and are more interesting, imo.  Some stars, like Scarlett Johannson (sp?), are able to successfully appear in both blockbusters and more independent features. There are more actors pursuing their pet projects, many of which turn out to be very good (e.g. Motherless Brooklyn). There's more room for creativity and risk taking.  I like a lot of the "newer" actors in Hollywood, e.g. Saorise Ronan, Cate Blanchett, Sarah Paulson, Ewan McGregor, John C. Reilly... are the ones I can think of at the moment. 

• Like 2

I can't think of that many "new" stars.  Some of the older current ones I find to be ok.

Here is an exception.

My neighbors had me over, I fixed something on their car, and we watched a movie on some streaming service she gets.

Another neighbor from Cornwall who is familiar with the very area where this movie was set recommended this to us.  I had never heard of any of these actors before, and best of all, didn't have a damn idea of what any of their politics are.  Exactly the way it should be.  Nice bit of escapism with an uplifting plot, far from the usual modern fare that is designed to slowly grind away at the audience.

Fisherman's Friends (2019)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648186/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

James Purefoy and Daniel Mays in Fisherman's Friends (2019)

James Purefoy in Fisherman's Friends (2019)

Tuppence Middleton and Meadow Nobrega in Fisherman's Friends (2019)
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

This post to me, reads as another "get off my lawn" type post.  There are stars of all eras, Classic Hollywood included, whose popularity is lost on me.  Most Classic Hollywood stars benefitted from being part of the studio system.  Their employer continually created and pursued parts with their star in mind. That's one of the reasons why a lot of these films still resonate today.  They are iconic and a symbol of how things "used to be" or rather, a romanticized version of how things could have been.   I wasn't alive during this period, so I don't have nostalgia for this time.  I enjoy Classic films for the escapism factor and getting to see an idea for how things were before I was born.  I  love the 90s and early 00s teen movies, because those are nostalgic for me.  I also love the teen movies from the 50s-80s because they're so  much fun.  The teenagers seem so much more mature than I feel like I was at that age, but yet they make dumb decisions and have feelings that any teenager would identify with.  I cannot relate to the more recent teenager movies, because I don't have childhood nostalgia for that era and these kids just seem so horribly immature and whiny that they aren't fun to watch.  However, for kids closer in age to the characters, they might enjoy these films.

Today's stars are all freelance employees, free to pursue whatever projects they desire.  Stars that are successful (financially) are those who luck into becoming part of a popular franchise.  Other stars, who are more interested in the acting craft are those who take more risks and are more interesting, imo.  Some stars, like Scarlett Johannson (sp?), are able to successfully appear in both blockbusters and more independent features. There are more actors pursuing their pet projects, many of which turn out to be very good (e.g. Motherless Brooklyn). There's more room for creativity and risk taking.  I like a lot of the "newer" actors in Hollywood, e.g. Saorise Ronan, Cate Blanchett, Sarah Paulson, Ewan McGregor, John C. Reilly... are the ones I can think of at the moment. 

You know - yes there were teen movies in the 50's and 60's - the rock and roll films, the beach films, and some serious films. And yes there were teen films in the 80s and 90s. But I can't remember one film from the 70s, when I was a teen, that was a teen movie. The 1970s were full of serious downright depressing stuff, and the actors were playing 30 somethings and the script was tailored to 30 somethings. 

Reply to  MOVIECOLLECTOR concerning FISHERMAN'S FRIEND'S

Seeing as it's a British production, it's easy to guesss why you're unfamiliar with these actors.  But not easy to see what bearing it has in this thread, which so far has yet to answer the basic query of it.  

I suppose there are "older people" who are still avid movie goers(at least were before COVID came along)  and know who many of these new "stars" are.  But too, seeing as any fool can become a "star" of some sort by just posting something(or anything) unimpressive on some pissant "social media" outlet, being a "star" has lost it's sense of glamour.  

In my case, time seems to be flying by so fast that most of the "new" stars I was aware of are now passe.   In fact, I'm STILL wrestling with the correct pronunciation of BENEDICT BUMBLESNATCH(or whatever)'S name.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Reply to  MOVIECOLLECTOR concerning FISHERMAN'S FRIEND'S

Seeing as it's a British production, it's easy to guesss why you're unfamiliar with these actors.  But not easy to see what bearing it has in this thread, which so far has yet to answer the basic query of it.  

I suppose there are "older people" who are still avid movie goers(at least were before COVID came along)  and know who many of these new "stars" are.  But too, seeing as any fool can become a "star" of some sort by just posting something(or anything) unimpressive on some pissant "social media" outlet, being a "star" has lost it's sense of glamour.  

In my case, time seems to be flying by so fast that most of the "new" stars I was aware of are now passe.   In fact, I'm STILL wrestling with the correct pronunciation of BENEDICT BUMBLESNATCH(or whatever)'S name.

Sepiatone

I rather enjoyed this recommendation for a recent film I have never heard of that is a competently made (I assume) feel good film. 

15 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I rather enjoyed this recommendation for a recent film I have never heard of that is a competently made (I assume) feel good film. 

If you're referring to THE FISHERMAN'S  FRIENDS,  Well, maybe it is a good movie, maybe not.  I'm not recommending  nobody watch it, but was commenting on it's irrelevance to the topic at hand.  ;) 

Sepiatone

There's nothing about "The Hunt for Red October" to complain about. I watch it every chance I get. Great, great scenes. One after the other.

Baldwin, Connery,  James Earl Jones, Scott Glen, Richard Jordan, ...and Stellan Skaarsgard was perfectly menacing in a relatively small role. Great great actors and perfectly cast. 

I can't get enough of Stellan Skaarsgard....except in "Mamma Mia" (what were they thinking?)....ugh. 

I echo the feelings of many here. There are a ton of tremendous actors out there right now. Amy Adams. Emma Stone. The late Chadwick Bozeman. 

The movies are definitely different these days. The older movies appeal because they were acting/dialogue driven....compared to so many today that are visual/action driven.

I'm going to stream "Mank" tonight. Black and white period piece from the 30's about the making of Citizen Kane starring one of my favorites, Gary Oldman.  Maybe the best of both worlds...a modern movie with an old movie feel.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Hi LsDoorMat, yes this film is competently made.  There was one "jump-cut" near the end to account for the passage of some time, stitched together with just one sentence.  So if you miss what is said, you might get a bit confused.  Other than that though, it is well made.

I definitely recommend it.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

You know - yes there were teen movies in the 50's and 60's - the rock and roll films, the beach films, and some serious films. And yes there were teen films in the 80s and 90s. But I can't remember one film from the 70s, when I was a teen, that was a teen movie. The 1970s were full of serious downright depressing stuff, and the actors were playing 30 somethings and the script was tailored to 30 somethings. 

Animal House

Corvette Summer

Rock n Roll High School

Roller Boogie

Cooley High

Grease

Hollywood High

Carrie

Rocky Horror

Seems like there were a bunch of car & disco movies in the 70s, but I'm drawing a blank on most of them.

14 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Animal House

Corvette Summer

Rock n Roll High School

Roller Boogie

Cooley High

Grease

Hollywood High

Carrie

Rocky Horror

Seems like there were a bunch of car & disco movies in the 70s, but I'm drawing a blank on most of them.

The 70s teen fare has some more comedic films like Animal House and Grease.  Then there are the roller disco films like Roller Boogie that I love.  Teenagers seemed to be terrorized a lot in the 70s with Carrie and Halloween.  I also loved The Last Picture Show though it definitely portrayed a more bleak portrayal of teenagers' lives.  The 70s also featured a lot of nostalgia for the 50s, with Grease and American Graffiti.  Even Animal House takes place (if I remember right) in the early 60s. 

While the 70s teen-centric films aren't as silly as the Beach movies, I like the more serious stories in the 70s.  Even films like The Bad News Bears, though I think the characters are primarily pre-teen, and Smile which satirized teenage beauty pageants, have serious as well as comedic themes and scenes. 

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

the films of yesteryear were fun escapist journeys into often times the fantastic...and I think that is the way irwin allen approached it.

if allen should be faulted for anything it should be for the overuse of those paper mache monster heads and that irritatingly used iguanadon stock footage of his.

(See, folks, here is Nip basically rubbing in our face the fact that this is NOT a thread about 21st-cty. actors, but one long, looping, inscrutable self-giggling running-gag excuse to post about Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Why?...Just be glad it isn't the freakin' 50 Foot Woman again.

Here, Nip, I'll post the big nonsensical "Only I know why this is supposed to be funny" graphic of the Seaview plastic-model for you, so you don't have to:

plzmoe707_0__25189.1591321827.1280.1280.

We now return you to ACTUAL movie discussion.)

Actually, I don't think there WERE any disco movies in the 70's:
Basically just "Thank God It's Friday",  "Can't Stop the Music", and the cheaper two of the Roller-disco trilogy  - "Saturday Night Fever" was a Brooklyn drama with a soundtrack, "Car Wash" was a black comedy with a soundtrack, "Xanadu" didn't have any disco music in it, and "Grease" was Broadway trying to be the 50's.

And I only mention that here, because it's more interesting than trying to fall willing sucker for Nip's MST3K "Richard Basehart, Richard Basehart!" act.  Mods, if we can't pull him, can we at least change the title to get rid of his giggling bait-and-switch joke?

Older people (all of us really ), see the past through rose colored glasses. They forget their favorite stars also appeared in duds just like other actors. But, we only remember the great films they were in. And we just every film by those great ones. But today, we see every film. The good and the bad.

And those stars of yesteryear have been honored for decades. They are ingrained in our memory. No film made today can match a film that's been shown for 70 years.

Older people don't get out to the theaters anymore. So the good dramas (like Ma Rainey, that was mentioned earlier), are appearing on TV. And for some reason, people don't rate TV the same as they do the big screen.

Even when the films on TV would be more what an older person is looking for in a movie.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The 70s teen fare has some more comedic films like Animal House and Grease.  Then there are the roller disco films like Roller Boogie that I love.  Teenagers seemed to be terrorized a lot in the 70s with Carrie and Halloween.  I also loved The Last Picture Show though it definitely portrayed a more bleak portrayal of teenagers' lives.  The 70s also featured a lot of nostalgia for the 50s, with Grease and American Graffiti.  Even Animal House takes place (if I remember right) in the early 60s. 

While the 70s teen-centric films aren't as silly as the Beach movies, I like the more serious stories in the 70s.  Even films like The Bad News Bears, though I think the characters are primarily pre-teen, and Smile which satirized teenage beauty pageants, have serious as well as comedic themes and scenes. 

Like you said,  Animal House  was about college kids in the 1960s.  American Graffiti was about high school kids in the 1960s . Grease was about high school kids in the 50s. Last Picture Show was set in the early 1950s.  Then there are the terrorized teens you speak of in Carrie and Halloween that were "present day" - 1970s.  I guess I was looking for movies about normal teen experiences in the 1970s in movies made in the 70s. Something close to a cinematic "70s Show", which was a TV show about being a teen in the 1970s except it was airing in the 1990s.  One movie I can think about that featured trouble teens of the 1970s was "Over The Edge", but it was made at the very end of the decade, 1979. 

• Like 1

But...but...but...what about "Rollerball"?!!!!! (1975)

"In the future, there will be no wars. But there will be Rollerball".

It sort of involved roller derby which was a 70's phenomenon. James Caan. John Housman. 

Not exactly teenagerey.....but.....still......

Two current actors under the age of 40 whom I really like are Dev Patel and Anna Kendrick. Actually, I adore Anna Kendrick. I think she can pretty much conquer any type of role.

I really like Hugh Jackman, too (and might I add I've never seen a WOLVERINE film.) He also falls into my category of multi talented.

• Like 2

I think there are so many different streaming platforms and film opportunities available these days that it can be quite hard to tell people apart. There are so many people "in the business" as some call it, that it can sometimes be overwhelming. That being said, I think there are a few people I can get behind calling true "stars;" something that is quite reassuring is a lot of the young people in my film club are familiar with the classics and even have been known to praise some excellent examples of film released pre-1970. 

46 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Two current actors under the age of 40 whom I really like are Dev Patel and Anna Kendrick. Actually, I adore Anna Kendrick. I think she can pretty much conquer any type of role.

I really like Hugh Jackman, too (and might I add I've never seen a WOLVERINE film.) He also falls into my category of multi talented.

i love anna kendrick! i think she is quite gifted, especially comedically. 

5 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

pidgeon-333333.jpg

Oh, I dunno. I'd also fault Irwin Allen and this TV show for basically become as big a joke after its first fairly good season and where it just became a case of each new episiode being the adventures of Admiral Nelson and his crew of the Seaview battling some different "monster/alien of the week", and something of which even as kid who was a regular viewer of this program recognized this show's waning quality during its initial run.

(...and speaking of "Admiral Nelson" here...I've always wondered if such a talented actor as Richard Basehart might have been bit embarrased about wasting his talents with his involvement of such a cheesy TV show...I'll bet he was, and especially after I happen to catch Basehart's work in some of his earlier excellent theartrical films such as He Walked By Night, House on Telegraph Hill, La Strada and Moby Dick)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oh, I dunno. I'd also fault Irwin Allen and this TV show for basically become as big a joke after its first fairly good season and where it just became a case of each new episiode being the adventures of Admiral Nelson and his crew of the Seaview battling some different "monster/alien of the week", and something of which even as kid who was a regular viewer of this program recognized this show's waning quality during its initial run.

(...and speaking of "Admiral Nelson" here...I've always wondered if such a talented actor as Richard Basehart might have been bit embarrased about wasting his talents with his involvement of such a cheesy TV show...I'll bet he was, and especially after I happen to catch Basehart's work in some of his earlier excellent theartrical films such as He Walked By Night, House on Telegraph Hill, La Strada and Moby Dick)

Dargo--

Until I saw Richard Basehart in "Portrait in Black" and "Repeat Performance" in recent years--

and I really don't want to say this, but I'll have to--

I didn't know that he was such a good actor from what I had seen of him on TV.

But a guy's gotta eat, hasn't he?

10 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Dargo--

Until I saw Richard Basehart in "Portrait in Black" and "Repeat Performance" in recent years--

Yeah, and there's a couple of other performances of Basehart's which are quite good too, Princess. In fact and as you might know, his work in Repeat Performance was his very first screen credit.

(...and yep as you note, I'll bet the primary reason he took the role on the Irwin Allen show was for the paycheck)

29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, and there's a couple of other performances of Basehart's which are quite good too, Princess. In fact and as you might know, his work in Repeat Performance was his very first screen credit.

(...and yep as you note, I'll bet the primary reason he took the role on the Irwin Allen show was for the paycheck)

39 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Dargo--

I didn't know that Richard Basehart was in a television show.  I looked it up and I hadn't even realized that Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was a TV Show.  The Irwin Allen  show that I am familiar with is The Time Tunnel which I really enjoy.  Though I'll admit that I first watched it for James "Moondoggie" Darren.  Lol.  I didn't really know who Whit Bissell was until I watched The Time Tunnel, now he pops up everywhere for me because apparently he was in a lot of classic films.  It's funny that I didn't recognize him before seeing him in The Time Tunnel

I thought Richard Basehart was great in He Walked by Night.  I loved him in Tension, where he played an anti-hero. He's also pretty good in Cry Wolf with Flynn and Barbara Stanwyck. 

• Like 1

the late David Hedison had said his willingness to attach himself to something like vttbots was largely due to an outstanding actor like Basehart being a part of it and expressed gratitude that he was part of it.

the earlier seasons were better with at least some seriousness applied to the stories but the latter episodes sport some terrific melodramatic acting and irwin's patented the-aliens-are-holding-all-the-cards mentality.

just once I wish irwin had let the men of the seaview kick some alien butt with no problems or drawbacks but irwin always insisted in having his malevolent aliens leagues ahead of the hapless humans in all his shows.