Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

why today's Hollywood film stars are lost on older people

NipkowDisc

10 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

Stewart will always be a GOAT for me just because of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. A SHOP AROUND THE CORNER as well.

I was never overwhelmed by his westerns. I've never heard Ron Howard talk about the fact that he was in a movie with John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lauren Bacall and Richard Boone (in fact, Ron Howard shoots Richard Boone!). THE SHOOTIST.

I did not find THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALENCE all that convincing. He was too old to be the young Ransom Stoddard. Likewise, in HOW THE WEST WAS WON, he seemed oddly old to be wooing Karl Maulden's daughter (Carrol Baker). But then so was Gary Cooper to Grace Kelly in HIGH NOON.  Again, I know I'm preaching blasphemy. 

FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, his Hitchcock work, and I just saw BORN TO DANCE (cuz I love Eleanor Powell and Buddy Ebsen ) are all part of my favorite JS films.

I got that wrong. I misremembered about Ron Howard shooting Richard Boone. Howard shot the guy who shot Boone. 

1 hour ago, MrMagoo said:

I got that wrong. I misremembered about Ron Howard shooting Richard Boone. Howard shot the guy who shot Boone. 

You still have it wrong.    The young man played by Ron Howard shot the bartender that shot the Wayne character.    The Wayne character shot the Boone character.

Here is the ending scene.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You still have it wrong.    The young man played by Ron Howard shot the bartender that shot the Wayne character.    The Wayne character shot the Boone character.

Here is the ending scene.    

Third base...

On 12/29/2020 at 9:11 AM, Hoganman1 said:

I guess it depends on who you consider to be "today's stars". My favorite actor still current is Denzel Washington. I've seen most of his movies and really enjoy them.  I also like Matt Damon, Tom Hanks, George Clooney and Morgan Freeman.  I think they're all north of 50 . As for the "current" women; I like Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts and Jodi Foster.  They too, have been around for a while.  As for actors new to the scene, I've been impressed with Jennifer Lawrence and Jake Gyllenhaal.  Do these stars measure up to Bogart, Cagney, Hayworth or Lupino? Frankly, it's not for me to say. I'm just glad (thanks to TCM and others) we can watch them all. 

If We are to Look at, ...Performers.. .....as opposed to performances,..

Joaquin Phoenix.

..CANT be Beat... ., .

. ..

*though Wilhelm Defoe has been (Freaking) +++ACING His Performances Lately..,

Id Even Pay to watch (either of) him butter toast... .

_

On the Actress Side of the Coin...

Robin Wright.

Noomi Rapace.

Rooney Mara.

Naomi Watts.

Saoirise Ronan (sp.)... . ..

Are GEMS.. in the Rough.....

🌈💎🌈💎🌈💎🌈💎🌈💎

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 10:33 PM, NipkowDisc said:

simple. when these losers made it big in their first hit movies they were films a lot of americans had no interest in seeing.

for instance, what was alec baldwin's first big hit? The Hunt for Red October. I tried to sit thru it once and I couldn't even figure out why sean connery was playing a russian sub commander.

:lol:

leave deep sea adventure to the professionals.

You obviously never read the book by Tom Clancy did you? If you had you would have been taken in to a world that many people never knew existed. The life aboard nuclear powered submarines, and the inner workings of the CIA. The film does not even come close to the detail presented in the book. But then again, if a movie was made about the book showing as much info that was presented and explained in the book, then the movie would have been over five hours in length.

The Hunt for Red October was a thrilling tale of how a legendary Russian submarine commander decided to defect along with his officers to the United States and how one CIA analyst became involved with their defection. Showing as much as they did about life aboard nuclear submarines was really well presented. It also featured a great cast of actors.

The film grossed $122 million in the US with a world wide total of over $200 million. Not too shabby for a film from 1990. I would say that the film was seen by many filmgoers who were interested in this type of film.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:33 PM, NipkowDisc said:

for instance, what was alec baldwin's first big hit? The Hunt for Red October.

:lol:

Funny, but I thought  BEETLEJUICE, MARRIED TO THE MOB and WORKING GIRL , all earlier movies than "Red October, AND bigger "hits"  made Baldwin more of a "name" in the biz.

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, fxreyman said:

You obviously never read the book by Tom Clancy did you? If you had you would have been taken in to a world that many people never knew existed. The life aboard nuclear powered submarines, and the inner workings of the CIA. The film does not even come close to the detail presented in the book. But then again, if a movie was made about the book showing as much info that was presented and explained in the book, then the movie would have been over five hours in length.

The Hunt for Red October was a thrilling tale of how a legendary Russian submarine commander decided to defect along with his officers to the United States and how one CIA analyst became involved with their defection. Showing as much as they did about life aboard nuclear submarines was really well presented. It also featured a great cast of actors.

The film grossed $122 million in the US with a world wide total of over $200 million. Not too shabby for a film from 1990. I would say that the film was seen by many filmgoers who were interested in this type of film.

I read all of Clancy's earlier works, but then they got too long and I got bored with them.  However, do have a few of the movies on DVD.

Clancy's books re: the military are very well researched and accurate.  At least the ones I read.

The later Red Storm Rising is similar to The Hunt for Red October, but does not feature Jack Ryan although the protagonist is similar.  Supposedly the first draft showed the US losing a world war to the USSR because of Soviet's superior fighting capabilities.  Clancy then rewrote it so US would win.

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Funny, but I thought  BEETLEJUICE, MARRIED TO THE MOB and WORKING GIRL , all earlier movies than "Red October, AND bigger "hits"  made Baldwin more of a "name" in the biz.

Sepiatone

Agreed. And they are still some of the best films Baldwin ever appeared in. I wouldn't call him a favorite, but he keeps popping up in a lot of films I've seen. He also had a supporting part in a fourth film in 1988, She's Having a Baby, but that wasn't a large part and the film wasn't a box office hit. Before all that though he had a stint on Knots Landing for a year playing Julie Harris' son, a Elmer Gantry like televangelist who killed himself when he found out his wife was getting more fan mail than he was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

His parts in all three of those movies aren't exactly leads. Beetlejuice was an ensemble cast, I guess. They were all very successful films, true.

Thing is,  I remember when WORKING GIRL was out, most of the talk about it surrounded BALDWIN'S appearance.   And he was, when young, a noticeably good looking guy.  And too remember.....

Not a lot of the ladies became fans of BRAD PITT after his limited role in THELMA AND LOUISE because of his ACTING TALENT..  ;)    And we all know "stars" don't always become so because of their THESPIAN qualities.  Several do become better as they go along and gain experience, but by the time they're "good" or "great" actors they're no longer "stars" because they aged out of the thing that made them "stars" to begin with.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings