Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A panoply of 80's stars.

For six years in the 1980's Shelly Duvall produced and acted in a series called "Faerie Tale Theatre."  These were dramatizations of famous fairy tales from the Grimm Brothers, Hans Christian Anderson, folklore from around the world and literature.  It became a grand central station of stars and actors current at the time.  Stars from an earlier day, stars of the day, and stars of days to come.  I don't know how she got them all.  Judging from the sets, the budgets weren't lavish.  But maybe the money saved on sets went to get the actors.  Or maybe it's her connections in the entertainment industry that helped get her the names.  She was a favorite of Robert Altman, and perhaps through him made connections.  Oh, the stars?  Well, here:

Jean Stapleton, Bud Court, Vincent Price, Gregory Hines, Tim Conway, Anjelica Huston, Jerry Hall, Mick Jagger, Ben Vereen, Robin Williams, Pam Dawber, Eric Idle, Teri Garr, Dick Shawn, Brock Peters, Liza Minnelli, Ned Beatty, James Coburn, Malcolm McDowell, Beverly D'Angelo, Karen Black, Tatum O'Neal, Carrie Fisher, Klaus Kinski, Melissa Gilbert, Jennifer Beals, Elizabeth McGovern, Ellen Barkin, Elliot Gould, Christopher Lee, Bernadette Peters (who's singing is lovely), Joan Collins, Vanessa Redgrave, Carl Reiner, Art Carney, Matthew Broderick, . . . .

(breath)

Jeff Goldblum, Helen Mirren, Harry Dean Stanton, Burgess Meredith, Barbara Hershey, Christopher Reeve, Gena Rowlands, Alex Karras, Alan Arkin, Valerie Perrine, James Earl Jones, Leonard Nemoy, Lee Remick, Treat Williams, Roddy McDowall, Edward James Olmos, Katherine Helmond, Lainie Kazan, Eve Arden, Diane Ladd, Lauren Hutton, Mako, Jim Belushi, Jeff Corey, Carole King (yes, that Carole King), Brain Denehy, Leslie Ann Warren, John Lithgow, John Schuck, Sally Kellerman, Keye Luke, Vitto Scotti, Fred Willard, Laraine Newman, Avery Schrieber, Frank Zappa (!), Michael Tucci, Talia Shire, William Daniels, Timothy Dalton, Jeff Bridges, Carol Kane, Beatrice Straight, Susan Sarandon, Valerie Bertinelli, Tom Conti, David Hemmings, Sofia Coppola, Howie Mandell, Ed Begley, Jr., Paul Rubens, . . . .

Justaminit, lemmie catch my breath . . . .

I'm sure I've misspelled a name somewhere.

Also, catch the directors and writers:

Oh, here's the IMDB page, you can look for them yersels:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199214/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Miscellaneous comments:  The shows are more or less,  some of them way less.  Or maybe it's because I watched them all in the span of a week or so.  If there were weeks or months between the shows, I might have enjoyed them more generally.  Some are funny, some are spoofy, some are serious.  Some work, some don't.  Some you can tell they had to work hard to stretch the material out to fill an hour.  Some take liberties with the tales, some are actually more faithful to the original than in the popular consciousness.  You will notice a gradual increase in production values as the series goes along (though not a great difference).  There was lots of use of green screen in the first season or two, even for the most basic of settings.  But you know, it was done well, and it works, even today.

The shows are all available on YouTube, or (gulp!) you can buy them.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

For six years in the 1980's Shelly Duvall produced and acted in a series called "Faerie Tale Theatre."  These were dramatizations of famous fairy tales from the Grimm Brothers, Hans Christian Anderson, folklore from around the world and literature.  It became a grand central station of stars and actors current at the time.  Stars from an earlier day, stars of the day, and stars of days to come.  I don't know how she got them all.  Judging from the sets, the budgets weren't lavish.  But maybe the money saved on sets went to get the actors.  Or maybe it's her connections in the entertainment industry that helped get her the names.  She was a favorite of Robert Altman, and perhaps through him made connections.  Oh, the stars?  Well, here:

Jean Stapleton, Bud Court, Vincent Price, Gregory Hines, Tim Conway, Anjelica Huston, Jerry Hall, Mick Jagger, Ben Vereen, Robin Williams, Pam Dawber, Eric Idle, Teri Garr, Dick Shawn, Brock Peters, Liza Minnelli, Ned Beatty, James Coburn, Malcolm McDowell, Beverly D'Angelo, Karen Black, Tatum O'Neal, Carrie Fisher, Klaus Kinski, Melissa Gilbert, Jennifer Beals, Elizabeth McGovern, Ellen Barkin, Elliot Gould, Christopher Lee, Bernadette Peters (who's singing is lovely), Joan Collins, Vanessa Redgrave, Carl Reiner, Art Carney, Matthew Broderick, . . . .

(breath)

Jeff Goldblum, Helen Mirren, Harry Dean Stanton, Burgess Meredith, Barbara Hershey, Christopher Reeve, Gena Rowlands, Alex Karras, Alan Arkin, Valerie Perrine, James Earl Jones, Leonard Nemoy, Lee Remick, Treat Williams, Roddy McDowall, Edward James Olmos, Katherine Helmond, Lainie Kazan, Eve Arden, Diane Ladd, Lauren Hutton, Mako, Jim Belushi, Jeff Corey, Carole King (yes, that Carole King), Brain Denehy, Leslie Ann Warren, John Lithgow, John Schuck, Sally Kellerman, Keye Luke, Vitto Scotti, Fred Willard, Laraine Newman, Avery Schrieber, Frank Zappa (!), Michael Tucci, Talia Shire, William Daniels, Timothy Dalton, Jeff Bridges, Carol Kane, Beatrice Straight, Susan Sarandon, Valerie Bertinelli, Tom Conti, David Hemmings, Sofia Coppola, Howie Mandell, Ed Begley, Jr., Paul Rubens, . . . .

Justaminit, lemmie catch my breath . . . .

I'm sure I've misspelled a name somewhere.

Also, catch the directors and writers:

Oh, here's the IMDB page, you can look for them yersels:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199214/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Miscellaneous comments:  The shows are more or less,  some of them way less.  Or maybe it's because I watched them all in the span of a week or so.  If there were weeks or months between the shows, I might have enjoyed them more generally.  Some are funny, some are spoofy, some are serious.  Some work, some don't.  Some you can tell they had to work hard to stretch the material out to fill an hour.  Some take liberties with the tales, some are actually more faithful to the original than in the popular consciousness.  You will notice a gradual increase in production values as the series goes along (though not a great difference).  There was lots of use of green screen in the first season or two, even for the most basic of settings.  But you know, it was done well, and it works, even today.

The shows are all available on YouTube, or (gulp!) you can buy them.

One of the early day attempts at original programming on a premium cable channel.  These were produced for Showtime.  I'd imagine their budgets weren't very lavish.

• Like 1

I am only aware of this program because I recently read a biography of Robin Williams, and his appearance on the show was mentioned in it. I had Showtime as part of my cable subscription for a few years but only long after this program had ended its run.

I love FAERIE TALE THEATRE, so glad my library has several of them. Although somewhat inconsistent, each episode shows cleverness & artistry in the writing, performances & production values. It was a great thing for Shelly Duvall to do and seems to only get better as time goes on. Thanks for the YT tip! 

tumblr_msjss4lyd41qixaveo1_500.gif

tumblr_m10m5eOphH1rnimpto2_400.gif

• Like 1