Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dawn Wells (1938-2020)

15 hours ago, cinecrazydc said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Dawn at the Mid Atlantic Nostalgia Convention in Maryland a few years back.   She was charming.  ...

I was there too. It was great meeting her. She was just as nice as everyone said she would be!

Very sad to hear that she gone.

• Like 1

Yeah, in spite of both young women(Ms. Wells and Tina Louise) being gorgeous, I too was a "Mary Ann" when that "Ginger or Mary Ann?" debate arose.  Just heard this  last night on the news.  One of the biggest bummers of the year.  Damned COVID!  :angry:

Rest In Peace Ms. Wells  :wub:

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Someone informed me that she passed in Woodland Hills so, naturally, I thought of the Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital.

From that down note, Dargo and jamesjazzguitar, I hope your 2021 is much more upbeat...

6 hours ago, midwestan said:

I liked the episode in "Gilligan's Island" when Mary Ann gets conked on the head and thinks she's Ginger.  Later, when the Professor tries to hypnotize Mary Ann to get her back to normal, Gilligan, who was eavesdropping on the session, becomes hypnotized himself.  Later, it causes Mr. Howell to quip, "We've got 3 Mary Anns, but we're fresh out of Gingers and Gilligans."!

Most of us who were fans of the show can quote a lot of funny dialogue between characters, despite the corniness of it.  It was a nice diversion from the rigors of daily life.

There are several interviews on YouTube with Dawn Wells about how she got involved in show business, her experiences on the set of "Gilligan's Island", and how she came to run for Miss Nevada when she was a student at the University of Washington.

I like this episode too.  I just watched it last night as part of a mini tribute to Ms. Wells.  With Gilligan's Island, you just have to look past everything that doesn't make sense (why do the Howells, Ginger, and Mary Ann have so many clothes for a 3-hour tour? Why did the Howells pack their bathrobes? How does that radio get such good reception on an uncharted island? Just how long do those batteries last anyway?  Re: the battery question, I've decided that there were rechargeable batteries in the radio and The Professor built some sort of recharging machine out of bamboo, coconuts and a paperclip or something) and just go with it. 

I also watched the episode where Phil Silvers shows up as the great musicals producer, Harold Hecuba, and he insults Ginger when he makes fun of her attempts to audition for him.  The castaways decide to put on a musical version of Hamlet (because they just happen to have Shakespearean costumes and wigs with them) to show Hecuba the extent of Ginger's acting abilities.  Phil Silvers has a funny scene where he (in an attempt to show the castaways how a musical Hamlet should be done) acts out all the parts in the play.  Later, he leaves without taking the castaways and steals their musical Hamlet idea.  Because of course, on an uncharted desert island outside of Hawaii, one would get the Hollywood News on the radio.

I also like the episode where Mary Ann's boyfriend back in Kansas gets married.  Somehow Mary Ann had been sending him messages in a bottle.  I have no idea how the bottles were supposed to get to Kansas (maybe through a very complicated tributary and river system), but maybe sending these bottles gave Mary Ann hope.  I'm going to give Mary Ann the benefit of the doubt that she knew that these bottles would never reach her boyfriend, but they gave her some hope or something.  Anyway, because their radio is amazing, the castaways learn that Mary Ann's boyfriend has married and they try to keep the news from reaching Mary Ann.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I like this episode too.  I just watched it last night as part of a mini tribute to Ms. Wells.  With Gilligan's Island, you just have to look past everything that doesn't make sense (why do the Howells, Ginger, and Mary Ann have so many clothes for a 3-hour tour? Why did the Howells pack their bathrobes? How does that radio get such good reception on an uncharted island? Just how long do those batteries last anyway?  Re: the battery question, I've decided that there were rechargeable batteries in the radio and The Professor built some sort of recharging machine out of bamboo, coconuts and a paperclip or something) and just go with it. 

I also watched the episode where Phil Silvers shows up as the great musicals producer, Harold Hecuba, and he insults Ginger when he makes fun of her attempts to audition for him.  The castaways decide to put on a musical version of Hamlet (because they just happen to have Shakespearean costumes and wigs with them) to show Hecuba the extent of Ginger's acting abilities.  Phil Silvers has a funny scene where he (in an attempt to show the castaways how a musical Hamlet should be done) acts out all the parts in the play.  Later, he leaves without taking the castaways and steals their musical Hamlet idea.  Because of course, on an uncharted desert island outside of Hawaii, one would get the Hollywood News on the radio.

I also like the episode where Mary Ann's boyfriend back in Kansas gets married.  Somehow Mary Ann had been sending him messages in a bottle.  I have no idea how the bottles were supposed to get to Kansas (maybe through a very complicated tributary and river system), but maybe sending these bottles gave Mary Ann hope.  I'm going to give Mary Ann the benefit of the doubt that she knew that these bottles would never reach her boyfriend, but they gave her some hope or something.  Anyway, because their radio is amazing, the castaways learn that Mary Ann's boyfriend has married and they try to keep the news from reaching Mary Ann.

I never was a big fan of it, but this show was the first thing I saw when our new color set was delivered, airing on KTVT, Channel 11 in Ft. Worth-Dallas on their mid-afternoon, after school schedule.  Unfortunately, it was one of the B&W episodes!

I do remember, though the Harold Hecuba episode (one of my favorite character names).  Neither a borrower nor a lender be!  Good thing someone happened to have LPs with them on that 3 hour tour.  My first exposure to Bizet.

Re: clothes, if any of the seven would have had a change of clothes with them, it would have been Gilligan and the Skipper, since it's their boat.  Yet they wore the same thing day in and day out, and it was always clean, and not tattered or faded, after 3 years of harsh daily wear (24 hours a day, apparently) in the tropics.  What did they wear on laundry day?

• Haha 3
27 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I never was a big fan of the it, but this show was the first thing I saw when our new color set was delivered, airing on KTVT, Channel 11 in Ft. Worth-Dallas on their mid-afternoon, after school schedule.  Unfortunately, it was one of the B&W episodes!

I do remember, though the Harold Hecuba episode (one of my favorite character names).  Neither a borrower nor a lender be!  Good thing someone happened to have LPs with them on that 3 hour tour.  My first exposure to Bizet.

Re: clothes, if any of the seven would have had a change of clothes with them, it would have been Gilligan and the Skipper, since it's their boat.  Yet they wore the same thing day in and day out, and it was always clean, and not tattered or faded, after 3 years of harsh daily wear (24 hours a day, apparently) in the tropics.  What did they wear on laundry day?

"...To be or not to be..." Lol. I had their Hamlet song stuck in my head all last night.

I used to watch 'Gilligan' in the mornings before school it was on the USA channel or the Family Channel or something like that (I don't remember).  It used to air right after my mom's morning show, Little House on the Prairie (consequently, I've seen almost every episode of that show too).  At some point, I think 'Gilligan' was briefly on Nick at Nite before the channel went by the wayside. Now it's on Sunday afternoons on Me-TV in a 3-hour block.  It's called the "Gilligan's Island 3-Hour Tour" or something like that.  I actually have the complete Gilligan's Island  series on DVD.  I found it used somewhere for only like $20 and it was practically brand-new.  Even though Gilligan sometimes gets on my nerves, the show is entertaining--it was worth the $20. 

Yes. I always wondered what Gilligan, Skipper and The Professor wore when their clothes were being washed.  I also found it amazing that The Professor's white shirt was always bright white and never dirty or torn.  Then, I swear that Ginger had different evening gowns all the time.  While we did see some duplicate outfits, it seemed like she was also acquiring new gowns too.  I've decided that The Professor somehow designed a loom and they were able to produce their own fabrics.  Then, they somehow created dyes with things found in the lagoon. Then Mary Ann sewed these gowns for Ginger and they repurposed some beads from somewhere to add some flair.

I also like that The Professor didn't seem to be knowledgeable in a specific science (like most professors are), he seemed to just know everything.  And, if he didn't know, he had his full set of scientific encyclopedias to which he could refer.  

For some reason, I always loved the episodes that featured the little bamboo car.  I just watched one of those last night.  I think it was in the episode where Mary Ann thinks she's Ginger.   Mary Ann was my favorite character and then I loved Mr. Howell.  He was hilarious.  I loved the episode when Mr. and Mrs. Howell set up an exclusive country club on the other side of the island.  They hired Gilligan to be their cabana boy. Then, at some point, Mr. Howell makes a mistake by saying that other members could invite people to join the club and somehow Gilligan was considered to be a member.  Before Mr. Howell knows it, all the other castaways are also members of the club--so now, they're basically just hanging out on the other side of the island.

I've decided that all the ridiculous things that they do is just their attempts to entertain themselves on the island. 

• Like 1

Very sad news. Especially to hear she died of Covid. She was in town here maybe 20 years ago touring in Chapter Two, but I didn't go. From what I've read she was as nice in real life as her character and aged very well from pictures I've seen.. R.I.P.

• Like 1

I first saw GILLIGAN'S ISLAND  when it aired on TBS.  As others have said, it's a show that requires a lot of  suspension of disbelief,  but once you do that it's a fun show to watch.

My favorite character was Ginger, but Mary Ann was my second favorite.  Since the two of them shared a hut, they had a lot of scenes together, and Tina Louise and Dawn Wells had great on-screen chemistry.

One of my favorite episodes (and apparently a favorite of other posters here) was "The Second Ginger Grant"  otherwise known as the episode where Mary Ann thinks she's Ginger.      Ginger pretends to be Mary Ann to avoid shocking Mary Ann . 

latest?cb=20141010142843 

• Like 3

Another episode I remember was when Gilligan was keeping a journal or a diary about the castaways' experiences on the island.  When Ginger suggests that Gilligan's memoir could be turned into a movie once everyone is rescued, everyone gets excited about the prospect, then pushy, then freaked out about how they might be portrayed based on Gilligan's version of events.  So, they start to write their own accounts about things Gilligan remembers well, but they certainly do not.  In the end, Gilligan chucks the diary/journal out of frustration with the way everyone is behaving toward him and each other.  When Mary Ann finds the diary at the end of the episode, she reads what Gilligan has actually written about everyone and recites it to them.  The way she read the words was so touching that the other castaways were ashamed that they had jumped to conclusions about what Gilligan really thought about them.  I thought that was quintessential Mary Ann, and by extension, Dawn Wells.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I first saw GILLIGAN'S ISLAND  when it aired on TBS.  As other have said, it's a show that requires a lot of  suspension of disbelief,  but once you do that it's a fun show to watch.

My favorite character was Ginger, but Mary Ann was my second favorite.  Since the two of them shared a hut, they had a lot of scenes together, and Tina Louise and Dawn Wells had great on-screen chemistry.

One of my favorite episodes (and apparently a favorite of other posters here) was "The Second Ginger Grant"  otherwise known as the episode where Mary Ann thinks she's Ginger.      Ginger pretends to be Mary Ann to avoid shocking Mary Ann . 

latest?cb=20141010142843 

Mary Ann's alterations of Ginger's gowns could have gone a lot worse.  At least Mary Ann knew how to sew.

Not a Mary Ann-centric episode, but I loved the episode where Gilligan's mercury dental fillings started picking up different radio stations.  At one point, the castaways are able to learn about a massive storm headed their way, so they're able to fortify the huts and protect themselves. 

As an aside, I really hope that when they were rescued in the 1970s film, that The Professor was able to get a patent for all of his bamboo and coconut inventions.  He could have had a whole second career marketing his line of sustainable, environmentally friendly inventions.  A bamboo bicycle-powered washing machine; bamboo pedal car; some sort of Geiger counter that he displays in the radioactive vegetable episode; Mary Ann's bamboo sewing machine... A lot of these inventions are engineering marvels.  The only thing he made that I don't think was entirely effective was the jail, because the bamboo bars were pretty far apart. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Mary Ann's alterations of Ginger's gowns could have gone a lot worse.  At least Mary Ann knew how to sew.

Not a Mary Ann-centric episode, but I loved the episode where Gilligan's mercury dental fillings started picking up different radio stations.  At one point, the castaways are able to learn about a massive storm headed their way, so they're able to fortify the huts and protect themselves. 

As an aside, I really hope that when they were rescued in the 1970s film, that The Professor was able to get a patent for all of his bamboo and coconut inventions.  He could have had a whole second career marketing his line of sustainable, environmentally friendly inventions.  A bamboo bicycle-powered washing machine; bamboo pedal car; some sort of Geiger counter that he displays in the radioactive vegetable episode; Mary Ann's bamboo sewing machine... A lot of these inventions are engineering marvels.  The only thing he made that I don't think was entirely effective was the jail, because the bamboo bars were pretty far apart. 

But he couldn't fix a hole in a boat...

• Haha 5
36 minutes ago, uncle charlie said:

But he couldn't fix a hole in a boat...

Lol. I know.  He wasn't a boat builder, ok?

20 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Those are the episodes they'll never show on any channel(except maybe CINEMAX)  and can only have DVD copies ordered through a website that'll sent them to you in a plain brown wrapper.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

And somehow by the next episode Ginger's dresses had been restored to their original length.

1 hour ago, HoldenIsHere said:

And somehow by the next episode Ginger's dresses had been restored to their original length.

Lol.  Maybe Mary Ann was able to expertly sew the bottom parts of the dresses back on?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.  Maybe Mary Ann was able to expertly sew the bottom parts of the dresses back on?

Tina Louise is: 5' 8.5" tall. Dawn Wells was: 5'4" tall. An evening gown merely lopped off at the bottom would be disproportionate and the depth of the neckline might be wholly inappropriate. A 2" tuck in the shoulder seam and raising the hem 2.5" would better accommodate the difference. Both are such that a seamstress would likely not cut the excess material until the gown is worn so as to judge if the amount is correct or needs to be adjusted.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:56 AM, skipd55 said:

So sad to hear of the passing of Dawn Wells. I liked "Mary Ann" so much more than "Ginger." May she rest in peace.

I liked that Dawn wrote the late 90's tell-all book (in the wake of the Brady and Batman rerun tell-all bestsellers) with good things to say about the rest of the cast.

However, the above post has rooted that obnoxious hipster 90's Budweiser commercial out of my subconscious:
"Ginger, or Mary Ann?....Okay, tough one, this time:  Jeannie, or Mary Ann?"   😡

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, EricJ said:

However, the above post has rooted that obnoxious hipster 90's Budweiser commercial out of my subconscious:
"Ginger, or Mary Ann?....Okay, tough one, this time:  Jeannie, or Mary Ann?"   😡

But in the latter case, it was----

"JEANNIE or SAMANTHA?"     

;)  Sepiatone

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised at what a fine inside look SURVIVING GILLIGAN'S ISLAND  turned out to be. The three cast members who participated, Dawn Wells, Bob Denver and Russell Johnson, it was good to see them again and, Dawn Wells, well, she still looked like Mary Ann.

And the actors who played the roles of the seven original cast members were all fine in their roles, with a couple of them doing remarkable voice impersonations, in particularly those playing Jim Backus, Alan Hale, Tina Louise and Natalie Schaeffer. This doc is also honest enough to give us a glimpse at some of the behind the scenes conflicts and, most surprisingly, I wasn't expecting to be as touched as I was, particularly in the portrayal of Jim Backus' final appearance, as well as Natalie Schaeffer's medical secret. The latter was a reminder that these weren't just comedy actors in a silly, slapstick series but human beings who stoically carried on despite personal traumas.

• Like 2

Thanks for Jeannie versus Samantha.  Samantha and Elizabeth all the way - Jeannie was a Genie (subservient) while Samantha was married to Darren and both had to make accommodations for each other.

Slightly off topic, I can't find the Obituary Thread for today and I was sad to see that Joan Micklin (sp?) Silver passed away.  She was Jewish and a woman and suffered because of it.  I recently saw Crossing Delancey and would love to see TCM run Hester Street or some of the other movies mentioned.

As for Dawn Wells, she didn't even get billing (along with Russel Johnson (sp?) until later on in the series - they were and the rest.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Thanks for Jeannie versus Samantha.  Samantha and Elizabeth all the way - Jeannie was a Genie (subservient) while Samantha was married to Darren and both had to make accommodations for each other.

Slightly off topic, I can't find the Obituary Thread for today and I was sad to see that Joan Micklin (sp?) Silver passed away.  She was Jewish and a woman and suffered because of it.  I recently saw Crossing Delancey and would love to see TCM run Hester Street or some of the other movies mentioned.

As for Dawn Wells, she didn't even get billing (along with Russel Johnson (sp?) until later on in the series - they were and the rest.

Actually, if you watched the show close enough, Jeannie wasn't as subservient as her "master" would have found helpful.  ;)      And for a bit of chauvinist "pigism" .......

Many might have voted in favor of Samantha, at least until they caught this rerun of an ANDY GRIFFITH episode----

;) Sepiatone

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

I was pleasantly surprised at what a fine inside look SURVIVING GILLIGAN'S ISLAND  turned out to be. The three cast members who participated, Dawn Wells, Bob Denver and Russell Johnson, it was good to see them again and, Dawn Wells, well, she still looked like Mary Ann.

The same (Fox) TV-movie producers also did adaptations of the aforementioned "Growing Up Brady" and "Return to the Batcave" with surprising faithfulness (although "Batcave" used the surviving actors and was from the days when they were only allowed to use footage from the '66 bigscreen movie).

And no, the Budweiser quote was "Jeannie vs. Mary Ann?"--The ad about "Stuff your parents said" ("Wear clean underwear!") was the one on the golf course, although why we believed 90's Gen-X'ers played golf or remembered vintage-TV reruns was never explained.  And if Woof-woof believes that Jeannie was "subservient", boy, does HE need to watch a few vintage episodes...  😂