Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MeTV Saturday Morning Cartoon Shows

On 1/8/2021 at 12:21 PM, Sepiatone said:

???   Terrytoons are cool.

I agree. And I have scores of them on 16mm, from the 20's through the early 50's (including some of those Commonwealth prints). But still - not sure about a New Years resolution!

4 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Here are some good ones I saw this morning:

POPEYE AND PALS HOUR;

She Sick Sailors (1944) a color Popeye cartoon, one I can recall from years ago. Olive Oyl is obsessed with the Superman comic book, so Bluto shaves his beard and puts on a Superman costume and steals her away from Popeye. There is a quick clip of the Superman music from the Max Fleischer cartoons.

Hello How Am I (1939) a funny B&W Popeye one, another one I saw many years ago. Olive invites Popeye for a hamburger dinner, Wimpy overhears and disguises himself as Popeye and scarfs down all the burgers.

Poor Cinderella (1934) This one is Betty Boop and a first time viewing for me. It's in color (the only color one with Betty) and she has red hair in this. It follows the fairy tale fairly closely but since it is Pre Code, it gets a little risque as Betty is changed into her new gown. There are some good original songs also.

MGM CARTOONS:

Cue Ball Bat (1950) Tom is alone in a pool hall shooting a game while Jerry has set up residence in one of the pockets. Some good violent stuff as cue sticks and billiard balls get thrown around. One of the funniest things in these cartoons are Tom's screams in pain or in terror.

House Of Tomorrow (1949) a funny animated version of the future. Automatic sandwich makers  and a machine that takes care of annoying kids that ask too many questions. My favorite part is  a television that is geared to whoever is watching, the wife, the kids and the tired businessman. The images turn from animation to live action, the businessman's TV show is a pretty blond in a bathing suit. She is played by Joi Lansing, who never became a major star but had some small roles in movies and TV. She was one of the sexiest of the blond bombshells of the time.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS:

Rabbit Of Seville (1950)  A hilarious classic. Bugs is chased by Elmer Fudd into an opera house. Bugs puts him in the Barber of Seville chair and gives him the works.

A Bone For A Bone (1951) An interesting one which features the Goofy Gophers, an overly polite pair who are bothered by tough talking dog who wants to bury a bone. I always used to think they were Chip N Dale but it turns out they were entirely different pair of chipmunks from Disney.

The Case Of The Stuttering Pig (1937) A good new find for me, a B&W Porky Pig cartoon spoofing mystery/horror films. Porky and family are gathered for a reading of a will and their lawyer takes a Jekyll/Hyde portion and tries to kill them. He also threatens the audience, especially one guy in the third row.

You left out the cartoon where Sylvester is singing on the back fence, keeping Elmer Fudd awake at all hours. I especially love this short when Sylvester does Angel in Disguise via Spike Jones. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

That's about the time when the only thing going for Saturday mornings was SESAME STREET  ans ELECTRIC COMPANY and the cartoons were getting lame and lamer.  As for your "HE-MAN", that cartoon series was created to help sell a line of "action figures", actually, really only infomercials for gullible and impressionable young "minds".  :rolleyes:

Sesame Street and Electric Company were afternoons (and PBS), and all we had, apart from the aforementioned Cheapo-PD fests, the afternoon-shift game shows, housewife reruns of Jeannie or Gilligan, and whatever one station was cool enough to have gotten Bugs Bunny, The Flintstones, and/or Monkees and Batman reruns.  There was always one station that got the classics, one station that got the new stuff, and one station still showing Casper and Popeye because it was all that was left.

He-Man at least opened the industry up for new original syndication, thanks to the new FCC rules that toy commercials could show only ten seconds of animation in their ads, thus requiring half-hour backstories to go elsewhere.

15 hours ago, EricJ said:

Sesame Street and Electric Company were afternoons (and PBS), and all we had, apart from the aforementioned Cheapo-PD fests, the afternoon-shift game shows, housewife reruns of Jeannie or Gilligan, and whatever one station was cool enough to have gotten Bugs Bunny, The Flintstones, and/or Monkees and Batman reruns.  There was always one station that got the classics, one station that got the new stuff, and one station still showing Casper and Popeye because it was all that was left.

He-Man at least opened the industry up for new original syndication, thanks to the new FCC rules that toy commercials could show only ten seconds of animation in their ads, thus requiring half-hour backstories to go elsewhere.

Wow.  Was mostly thinking when MY kids were watching some of those.  Yeah, SESAME STREET was PBS, but still in mornings 'round here( and in the '70's, when the older daughter started watching)  and THE ELECTRIC COMPANY still had MORGAN FREEMAN in the cast.  And think......

Cartoon shows and other television shows don't GO into syndication until several years have passed and the episodes in syndication are  much older ones.  As there is such a thing as "first run" syndication, in He-Man's case, and due to the new FCC rules you mention,  the manufacturer decided, since they couldn't advertise their product by having animation included in their TV ads, to make a cartoon show, with commercial interruptions,  that were essentially  1/2 hour toy commercials anyway.    And THAT my friend, is what I call lame.

Sepiatone

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Cartoon shows and other television shows don't GO into syndication until several years have passed and the episodes in syndication are  much older ones.  As there is such a thing as "first run" syndication, in He-Man's case, and due to the new FCC rules you mention,  the manufacturer decided, since they couldn't advertise their product by having animation included in their TV ads, to make a cartoon show, with commercial interruptions,  that were essentially  1/2 hour toy commercials anyway.    And THAT my friend, is what I call lame.

It depends on the show:
My Little Pony's first incarnation, yeah, that was lazy.  Care Bears' TV incarnations away from their movies, almost non-existent.

GI Joe and Transformers, OTOH, put a little effort into their product--with the help of a little pre-anime Japanese action-animation outsourcing--and Thundercats gloriously, loonily, swung for the epic fences.   😄

On 1/10/2021 at 10:23 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yes, I think it is one of the few times Wimpy played a villain, he was usually just Popeye's pal.

Like when he traded a baby for a sack of hamburgers.

e2883325e3bcd2a16423b123fc7faf93.jpg

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:rolleyes:  Sorry......

But "Japanese action animation" always struck me as an oxymoron.  ;) 

You used that joke before, I posted the "Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer" GIF, and the Mods didn't know whether to allow it--

But now you're using it with the "Action" joke, so I'll have to use the Project A-Ko clip (now on Amazon/Tubi) instead...Figure they'll allow that one:

On 1/4/2021 at 10:42 AM, Sepiatone said:

MeTV also shows an hour of cartoons starting at 7:00 am weekdays. Replacing GILLIGAN'S ISLAND  and moving MY THREE SONS to 6:30 am.

Sepiatone

"The Hannah & Fred Show (1-10-21)" (Facebook video) 

(note: description of video directly below this note)

We start this week "cartooning around" with Neal Sabin, the creator of MeTV's "Toon In With Me," and show host Bill Leff about combining sketch comedy and cartoons on a new nationally broadcast program. 

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

You used that joke before, I posted the "Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer" GIF, and the Mods didn't know whether to allow it--

But now you're using it with the "Action" joke, so I'll have to use the Project A-Ko clip (now on Amazon/Tubi) instead...Figure they'll allow that one:

:rolleyes:  I rest my case.  ;)   Compare the flow of that "animation" to that of the average Disney, Looney Toon or  Terry Toon  and you should see it's way outclassed.  

Sepiatone

I missed most of the Popeye hour this morning, but here are some that I liked:

POPEYE AND PALS

The Adventures Of Popeye (1935) This was mostly clips of other Popeye cartoons but I always liked this one when I was a kid, It combines some live action with a little kid who is buying a Popeye comic book and then is knocked down by a bully. Popeye comes to life out of the comic book and tells the little boy how he handles bullies and shows him scenes of him beating up Bluto and wild animals when he eats his spinach. The boy gets his own can of spinach, wallops the bully and sings the Popeye The Sailor song.

TOM AND JERRY/MGM SHOW

Heavenly Puss (1949) Tom gets killed by a piano falling on him. He has an after death experience and can only get into heaven if Jerry signs a document of forgiveness to him. If not he will go down in flames with an evil looking Devil-dog. Many funny scenes as he tries to get Jerry to sign.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Bewitched Bunny (1954) Bugs meets Hansel and Gretel and the witch in this one. He warns the two kids and they have a funny line for the witch "Aw, ya mudder rides a vacuum cleaner!" The witch decides Bugs will be her dinner. Another one that I loved as a kid, especially the scenes where the witch would run off and leave some bobby pins flying in the wind.

My Favorite Duck (1942) Porky is trying to relax on a fishing and camping trip but is tormented by Daffy who keeps reminding him it's not duck season. Porky sings "On Moonlight Bay" and Daffy does a bit of "Blues In The Night" ("my mama done tol' me").

10 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I missed most of the Popeye hour this morning, but here are some that I liked:

POPEYE AND PALS

The Adventures Of Popeye (1935) This was mostly clips of other Popeye cartoons but I always liked this one when I was a kid, It combines some live action with a little kid who is buying a Popeye comic book and then is knocked down by a bully. Popeye comes to life out of the comic book and tells the little boy how he handles bullies and shows him scenes of him beating up Bluto and wild animals when he eats his spinach. The boy gets his own can of spinach, wallops the bully and sings the Popeye The Sailor song.

TOM AND JERRY/MGM SHOW

Heavenly Puss (1949) Tom gets killed by a piano falling on him. He has an after death experience and can only get into heaven if Jerry signs a document of forgiveness to him. If not he will go down in flames with an evil looking Devil-dog. Many funny scenes as he tries to get Jerry to sign.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Bewitched Bunny (1954) Bugs meets Hansel and Gretel and the witch in this one. He warns the two kids and they have a funny line for the witch "Aw, ya mudder rides a vacuum cleaner!" The witch decides Bugs will be her dinner. Another one that I loved as a kid, especially the scenes where the witch would run off and leave some bobby pins flying in the wind.

My Favorite Duck (1942) Porky is trying to relax on a fishing and camping trip but is tormented by Daffy who keeps reminding him it's not duck season. Porky sings "On Moonlight Bay" and Daffy does a bit of "Blues In The Night" ("my mama done tol' me").

The first Popeye this morning was one of the two-reel Technicolor shorts based on Arabian Nights: Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp (1939).  MeTV ran the full short uninterrupted.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin_and_His_Wonderful_Lamp

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

The first Popeye this morning was one of the two-reel Technicolor shorts based on Arabian Nights: Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp (1939).  MeTV ran the full short uninterrupted.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin_and_His_Wonderful_Lamp

That sounds familiar, is it the one where Popeye says "Open, sez me!"

35 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Not this one.  There's a wraparound story that has Olive Oyl toiling away as a scriptwriter for Surprise Pictures, and it's her idea to cast herself as the princess and Popeye as Aladdin.  It has a slightly campy blue genie with a European accent and a laugh like Ed Wynn.

It's in the public domain, from what I read.  There's a decent copy on YouTube:

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

It's in the public domain, from what I read.  There's a decent copy on YouTube:

That was very good, never saw it before. The longest Popeye cartoon I ever saw. Early Technicolor as Popeye says "I never made love in Technicolor before"

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

That was very good, never saw it before. The longest Popeye cartoon I ever saw. Early Technicolor as Popeye says "I never made love in Technicolor before"

Believe that's the longest one ever made.

There were only 3 Technicolor Popeyes made by the Fleischers, and they were all two-reelers based on 1001 Tales.    This one was made in Miami, after the studio was moved from NYC.  

After Paramount bought out the Fleischers and renamed it Famous Studios, they continued doing B&W cartoons until late 1943.  

7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

No, you're thinking of the much better Popeye Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves.  (Obviously, as that phrase wasn't in Aladdin.)

Also in the public domain, as all three Technicolors were:

• Thanks 1

So, just when was it Popeye went from being  a nondescript merchant marine to a sailor in the all white U.S. Navy uniform, and BLUTO changed his name to BRUTUS?

And why?

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

So, just when was it Popeye went from being  a nondescript merchant marine to a sailor in the all white U.S. Navy uniform, and BLUTO changed his name to BRUTUS?

And why?

Sepiatone

The Bluto/Brutus change came about for the TV version of Popeye in the 1960s.  Paramount/Famous Studios stopped producing  Popeye theatrical shorts in 1957.  Once these started airing on TV, King Features Syndicate wanted to capitalize on the new-found popularity and started making new Popeye cartoons for TV, as King Features didn't make any money off the syndication of the theatrical shorts.

When they started producing new cartoons, they thought that Paramount owned the rights to the Bluto character, so they created a near copy and called him Brutus in the TV cartoons.  In reality, King Features owned the rights to Bluto, so they could have used him in the new cartoons as well.  

I believe his costume change was due to enlisting in the US Navy during WW II.

• Thanks 2

At any rate, IMHO the newer ones were no way as good as the older ones.   And one thing I learned from watching those cartoons was......

Never eat spinach.  As it might make you stronger does no good when it might be ruining your eyesight to the point you wind up being attracted to and marrying a girl that looks like Olive Oyl! :blink:

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Never eat spinach.  As it might make you stronger does no good when it might be ruining your eyesight to the point you wind up being attracted to and marrying a girl that looks like Olive Oyl! :blink:

(disagrees with this paragraph; feels offended for the "Olive Oyl" mentioned in the paragraph) 

On 1/16/2021 at 4:19 PM, EricJ said:

No, you're thinking of the much better Popeye Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves.  (Obviously, as that phrase wasn't in Aladdin.)

Also in the public domain, as all three Technicolors were:

Yeah well, tell ya what here, Eric.

When you hear MeTV is getting around to showing what's by far THE best and THE funniest cartoon take on this whole 40 Thieves thing, namely Ali Baba Bunny (1957), gimme a heads-up here, would ya?!

(...in the interim, I'll be dreaming of lounging under the warm Pismo Beach sun with all the clams I can eat)

• Like 1