Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MeTV Saturday Morning Cartoon Shows

On 1/17/2021 at 12:42 PM, txfilmfan said:

When they started producing new cartoons, they thought that Paramount owned the rights to the Bluto character, so they created a near copy and called him Brutus in the TV cartoons.  In reality, King Features owned the rights to Bluto, so they could have used him in the new cartoons as well.  

Thought it was Brutus in the original Segar comic strip, and no one quite knows how it became "Bluto" in the Fleischer cartoons.

A better question is how the hulking town-bully Bluto of Fleischer's cartoons and Segar's strip became a mere wolf-whistling horn-dog in Famous's 50's cartoons.

20 hours ago, Mario500 said:

(disagrees with this paragraph; feels offended for the "Olive Oyl" mentioned in the paragraph) 

:rolleyes:  Well, I'll apologize, but only when she comes to my house PERSONALLY to demand one.

Oh!  WAIT!!

She's ONLY A CARTOON!  ;)

Gotta wonder what's up with Mario if he "Feels offended" for someone who doesn't actually exist.  Unless, he eats a lot of spinach and actually HAS a girlfriend(or wife) who closely resembles Olive.  ;)

Sepiatone

I missed the Popeye hour and most of the Tom and Jerry show, here are some that I liked today:

TOM AND JERRY/MGM CARTOONS

Wild Honey (1942) An entertaining war time cartoon. Barney Bear is looking to get some honey from the bees since there is a sugar ration during WWII. He tries to attract the bees with a mechanical Queen bee that looks like Veronica Lake.

Who Killed Who (1943)  a very funny murder mystery which starts with a live action host setting the scene. It is in a haunted mansion and the cop who investigates is a bulldog modeled on character actor Frank Kelsey (he played a similar role in The Laurel And Hardy Murder Case (1930). There are some funny Red Skelton references too, he was an MGM star at the time.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Tortoise Wins By A Hare (1943) Bugs is tired of hearing how the tortoise always wins the race, so he challenges Cecil Turtle to another one. Now Bugs wears a steel tortoise shell, thinking it will help him. A bunch of rabbit gangsters think that Bugs in the shell is the tortoise so they beat him up, Cecil puts on a bunny suit. One the gangsters find out they were wrong they commit suicide, this scene would sometimes be cut from TV, but was intact on the one this morning.

Red Riding Hoodwinked (1955) a funny version of the fairy tale, Red is bringing Grandma a present of Tweety in a cage. She is followed by Sylvester and the Big Bad Wolf (he has memory problems in this one). Granny acts like Ralph Kramden at the end.

Cinderella Meets Fella (1938) funny early WB cartoon, Cinderella is a cute little blonde with kind of a Betty Boop voice, the Fairy Godmother needs to be pulled out of a beer joint by the police and Prince Charming turns out to be goofy Egghead. 

• Like 1
On 1/23/2021 at 10:46 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Cinderella Meets Fella (1938) funny early WB cartoon, Cinderella is a cute little blonde with kind of a Betty Boop voice, the Fairy Godmother needs to be pulled out of a beer joint by the police and Prince Charming turns out to be goofy Egghead. 

Guards:  "Cinderella's carriage approaches!"

(sound of hoofbeats)

"...o/` 'She'll be driving six white horses when comes, la de da, she'll be driving six white horses when she comes' o/`"

• Haha 1

Anyone remember the kids show, "The New Zoo Revue?" Freddy the Frog, Henrietta Hippo and Charlie the Owl? And the two humans, Doug and Emmy Jo?

Never missed it. Right along with "The Banana Splits!"

22 minutes ago, KidChaplin said:

Anyone remember the kids show, "The New Zoo Revue?" Freddy the Frog, Henrietta Hippo and Charlie the Owl? And the two humans, Doug and Emmy Jo?

Never missed it. Right along with "The Banana Splits!"

Only because my younger brother watched it every day.  I had aged out of it by the time it started.

There's an R-rated gag reel of it on YouTube.

Here were some good ones from this morning:

POPEYE AND PALS

On With The New (1938) A cute Betty Boop cartoon, she leaves her stressful job as a short order cook to work in an automated nursery. Funny scenes of Betty giving the babies a bath and putting them on a conveyor belt where  machines diaper and clothe them. Betty puts them to bed when they get into mischief, sending her back to her old job.

Balmy Swami (1949) Funny color Popeye short, Bluto is a magician who hypnotizes Olive. I recall this one as a kid, funniest scene for me was when Popeye tells Bluto "Ya can't makes a jackass outta me!" He puts up sign that says "Oh No?" and then Popeye ends up with a donkey head.

Screwball Squirrel (1944) Funny one about an obnoxious squirrel and a dimwitted birddog called Meathead. Many asides to the audience in this one. It starts with a cute squirrel saying he is the lead in this picture, but the Screwy one takes care of that. A sign of Tex Avery being the "anti" Disney, no cute characters allowed here.

The Cat And The Mermouse (1949) Tom is trying to get a suntan on the beach and Jerry wants to do some fishing. They both end up at the bottom of the sea, Jerry has a mermaid tail and they are chased by a swordfish and an octopus, Tom has some great screams.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Awful Orphan (1949) A hilarious cartoon with Brooklyn accented Charlie Dog advertising himself. Porky orders a canary from the pet shop but Charlie shows up in the cage. Many funny scenes of Porky trying to get rid of him, he even sends him to Siberia! But he comes back with the big furry hat and Russian accent. The roles are reversed by the end.

Case Of The Missing Hare (1942) A magician puts up adverts all the the place including Bugs' home, he hits Bugs with a pie and so "This means war!". Bugs then disrupts his magic act, funniest moment is when Bugs poses as a little boy coming on stage to assist with trick with swords.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Screwball Squirrel (1944) Funny one about an obnoxious squirrel and a dimwitted birddog called Meathead. Many asides to the audience in this one. It starts with a cute squirrel saying he is the lead in this picture, but the Screwy one takes care of that. A sign of Tex Avery being the "anti" Disney, no cute characters allowed here.

I like to think of it more as an attack against the long MGM years of adorably high-end faux-Disney Harman-Ising cartoons--

How short a time was it between the second remake of "Peace on Earth", and the first Tex Avery Droopy cartoon?

Case Of The Missing Hare (1942) A magician puts up adverts all the the place including Bugs' home, he hits Bugs with a pie and so "This means war!". Bugs then disrupts his magic act, funniest moment is when Bugs poses as a little boy coming on stage to assist with trick with swords.

I'm pretty sure that's actually the first time we hear Bugs slowly declare "Of course you realize..." as we know it today, after being bullied to the limit.

The first time, Bugs wasn't even Bugs yet, in "Elmer's Pet Rabbit", and when he quotes "Of course you know, this means war!" to Elmer, he's citing Groucho Marx's line from A Night At the Opera.

• Like 1

Here some good ones that were on today:

POPEYE AND PALS

I Likes Babies And Infinks (1937) Swee-pea keeps crying so Olive asks Popeye and Bluto for help. They try to get the baby to laugh but nothing works. This is one time Popeye is not helped by a can of spinach, but a can of onions.

Taking The Blame (1935)- Betty Boop brings home a cat playmate for her puppy Pudgy, but the cat gets him into trouble.

Magical Maestro (1952)- a hilarious cartoon about a bull dog opera singer who kicks a magician out of his theater. The magician poses as the conductor and with his magic wand keeps turning the singer into different things. He ends up a cowboy singer, a little boy singing "A Tisket A Tasket" , Carmen Miranda and the funniest was a Polynesian dance routine.

The Shooting Of Dan McGoo (1945)- a great Tex Avery classic. The slobbering Wolf pops his eyes out at the sexy saloon singer, Droopy saves her.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Broomstick Bunny (1956) One of my childhood favorites. Bugs is trick or treating and wearing an ugly witch mask. He goes to the door of wacky Witch Hazel, her mirror on the wall tells her she is no longer the ugliest of them all. She drinks a beauty potion at the end.

Rabbit Hood (1949) Another hilarious favorite from my childhood days. Bugs is caught by the Sheriff of Nottingham trying to steal the King's carrots. Many funny scenes as Bugs drives the Sheriff crazy with his pranks. Dimwitted Little John keeps saying "Robin Hood will soon be here", Errol Flynn does show up at the end

Carrotblanca (1995) this was not from the classic era (Mel Blanc had passed away in 1989) but this is a surprisingly good spoof of Casablanca. Bugs in the Bogart role and Tweety does a funny Peter Lorre impression. Nearly every WB cartoon character makes an appearance, the voices sound very close to the originals. The only one that doesn't is  Yosemite Sam, you can tell that  one is definitely a different voice.

• Like 2

Yeah, Yosimite obviously had the  Conrad Veidt role in that 'toon.  And a German accent in that Sam voice would have been hilarious, but why it wasn't done I don't know.  It tickles me when you state TWEETY did the Lorre  impression.  :D   I thought it was who did Tweety's voice that did it.  ;)  And really voice actor Bob Bergen.

But yeah, likely (and IMO) the better of any other Casablanca send up.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I missed the Popeye hour, here are some I liked today:

Little Tinker (1948) A very funny one about a skunk looking for love. All the cute female animals run from him as soon as they get a whiff. Cupid gives him a how-to book on love. He tries several different personas, the funniest one is when he imitates Frank Sinatra singing "All Or Nothing At All". Great ending when he finds another skunk.

Jerry And The Goldfish (1951) Jerry makes friends with a goldfish and Tom wants to make a fish dinner out of him. Jerry has to keep saving the fish getting him back into water each time.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

People Are Bunny (1959) A hilarious spoof of 1950s TV shows. Daffy hears about a $1000 prize to bring in a rabbit to a TV show. He brings in Bugs but keeps getting beat up on different shows. Funniest is a parody of Art Linkletter and "People Are Funny"

Daffy Dilly (1948) Daffy is a sidewalk pitchman who finds out about a millionaire offering a million dollars if someone can make him laugh. Daffy has to get by a dog butler with an exaggerated English accent before he finally gets to rich guy (another dog).

• Like 1
On 1/19/2021 at 8:25 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

My favorite also, "HASSAN CHOP!"

Bugs to Daffy: What's with you anyway?

Daffy: I can't help it. I'm a greedy slob. Save me!

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for Rabbitson Crusoe.  "Twenty years of coconuts! I can't stands coconuts! A rabbit! A stewing rabbit!"

And Sahara Hare. Riff Raff Sam rants and raves to Bugs about getting his footy prints all over his desert. Bugs hears all the raving and simply says, "Your slip is showing".

• Like 1

Some good ones from today:

POPEYE AND PALS

Shape Ahoy (1945) Popeye and Bluto are on a deserted island and are the best of friends in this one. Then Olive comes to shore on a raft and they compete for her. It has a great ending when she snubs both of them when a crooning Frank Sinatra shows up.

So Does An Automobile (1939) Betty Boop in charge of a hospital for cars, they all have human characteristics. Betty is covered up with mechanic coveralls and is much taller than usual.

Slicked Up Pup (1951) Lots of laughs as Spike the dog gives his son a bath, than Tom knocks him in a mud pile while chasing Jerry. Spike tells Tom he better make sure the pup is clean. Funniest scene is when Tom disguises the pup as a chicken.

Lonesome Lenny (1946) A rich woman buys Screwy Squirrel as a playmate for her dog Lenny. Lenny is a parody of the Lon Chaney Jr character from Of Mice And Men. He names the squirrel George and chases him all around the house.

Timid Tabby (1957) An interesting change of pace with Tom's lookalike cousin George visiting, but George is afraid of mice. He also has the same voice as Droopy Dog. Many funny scenes as Jerry is faced with scaredy cat George and then old nemesis Tom, and he can't tell them apart.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

A Hare Grows In Brooklyn (1947) One of Bugs' best as he is interviewed in his Hollywood home about his childhood. We see him as a kid skipping down the street singing "Daughter Of Rosie O'Grady", he is chased by a street gang of dogs. He is saved in the end by the book A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. 

• Like 1

I missed most of the Popeye hour but here are some good ones shown today"

POPYEYE AND PALS

Mess Production (1945)-Olive gets a wartime job as a welder, she gets conked on the head and sleep walks around the factory. Popeye and Bluto fight over saving her from some dangerous situations.

Switchin Kitten (1961) This is from the later Tom and Jerry era, after they reached a peak in the 1950s. This was interesting as Tom ends up in the castle of a cackling mad scientist who switches the brains of a cat and dog. The cat beats up Tom and protects Jerry.

Dumb Hounded (1943) A hilarious cartoon and an early appearance of Droopy. The Wolf escapes from Swing Swing Prison and is pursued by bloodhounds, one of which is Droopy. There is a funny gag as Droopy passes behind a fire hydrant and comes out red faced and embarrassed. A great running gag as the Wolf keeps running into Droopy everywhere he goes, even when he takes trains, boats and planes to get away.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Boobs In The Woods (1950) Porky tries to paint landscapes but keeps getting interrupted by Daffy. This was when Daffy was a total looney, before he became the jealous, greedy rival of Bugs. Funniest scene is when Daffy asks Porky if he has licenses for what he is doing, he keeps coming up with them. Finally he asks for a marriage license but Porky is not married. Daffy jumps into his arms and says "Whaddya say you and me go steady?"

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Boobs In The Woods (1950) Porky tries to paint landscapes but keeps getting interrupted by Daffy. 

10thumb.jpg

"You can't go around painting other people's lakes!  At least have the decency to ask me first!"

"Okay, may I please paint your lake?"

"No, I don't want my lake painted! (wipes it out of picture) The mountains are okay, I don't own them."

(comes back in old-timer outfit)

"Hey there, sonny!  I'm the Old Man of the Mountains, and I don't want them painted!..."

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Jim, are you watching Toon In with Me on weekday mornings? I'm enjoying it, when I'm still up at sunrise anyway. Lots of classics. 

Occasionally I see some of it, there is a lot of live action comedy skits and not enough cartoons. I like Saturday mornings better since it is purely cartoons.

3 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Occasionally I see some of it, there is a lot of live action comedy skits and not enough cartoons. I like Saturday mornings better since it is purely cartoons.

I like the interstitials mostly. The guy is a little stiff but the girl, Leila Gorstein, really gets into her characters.