Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MeTV Saturday Morning Cartoon Shows

I missed the first hour, best ones were on the second hour.

TOM AND JERRY/MGM CARTOONS

Southbound Duckling (1955) The little duck Quacker wants to fly south for the winter, but Jerry keeps telling him domestic ducks do not do that. Quacker keeps being pursued by Tom. The final scene is one of the most memorable as Tom finally gets the last laugh on Jerry and the duck.

The Hungry Wolf (1942) It's the dead of winter during a blizzard, a starving wolf is hallucinating with no food in the house. A cute little bunny visits him and asks if he will be his daddy. The wolf of course would rather roast him but it ends on a surprising note. An interesting blend of cuteness and dark humor.

Pecos Pest (1955) A very funny T&J cartoon. Jerry's Texas uncle Pecos shows up to rehearse for a TV appearance singing a nonsensical version of "Froggy Went A Courtin". He keeps breaking the strings on his guitar and replacing them with Tom's whiskers.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Beanstalk Bunny (1955) One of WB funniest versions of a fairy tale. Daffy Duck is Jack and Elmer Fudd is the giant. Bugs is along for the ride when the beanstalk grows out of his rabbit hole. Daffy is in his greedy persona in this one, wanting to steal the giant's gold. Giant Elmer can't decide which one he wants to grind it's bones.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Beanstalk Bunny (1955) One of WB funniest versions of a fairy tale. Daffy Duck is Jack and Elmer Fudd is the giant. Bugs is along for the ride when the beanstalk grows out of his rabbit hole. Daffy is in his greedy persona in this one, wanting to steal the giant's gold. Giant Elmer can't decide which one he wants to grind it's bones.

He's more infamous for his "MINE MINE MINE" than I realized.

H19799-L90349235.jpg

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Pecos Pest (1955) A very funny T&J cartoon. Jerry's Texas uncle Pecos shows up to rehearse for a TV appearance singing a nonsensical version of "Froggy Went A Courtin". He keeps breaking the strings on his guitar and replacing them with Tom's whiskers.

Tex Ritter, IIRC, who voiced MGM cartoons on occasion.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Always found this one the funnier of the Bugs-vs-Daffy's-greed cartoons, than the wildly cultural-overexposed Ali Baba Bunny or Abominable Snow-Rabbit.

For years, growing up in our house, "...He's Jack" would crack us up on citation.  😆

13thumb.jpg

("It's a lie, it's a lie, my name is uh, uh, Aloysius!  His name is Jack!...Jack Rabbit!")

• Like 2
22 hours ago, EricJ said:

For years, growing up in our house, "...He's Jack" would crack us up on citation.  😆

13thumb.jpg

("It's a lie, it's a lie, my name is uh, uh, Aloysius!  His name is Jack!...Jack Rabbit!")

I hadn't seen this one in a long, long time. Laughed like heck when Daffy says, "His name is Jack!" There's the slightest hesitation as though Daffy needs a second and then suddenly realizes.. yeah... "Jack Rabbit!" Hilarious.

• Haha 1

I missed the Popeye hour and some of the second hour.

Poor Little Me (1935) Stinky the skunk is sad because no one wants to get near him. He sings "I Ain't Got Nobody" This is one of the "cute" MGM cartoons by Hugh Harman but still has some good laughs. Stinky is befriended by a little bunny who has a cold. They are pursued by a bobcat with a Cab Calloway type voice, he sings "You Rascal You".

Hic Cup Pup (1954) Tyke gets the hiccups when his dad Spike puts him down for a nap. Tom makes too much noise chasing Jerry. Tom has some of his great screams when caught by Spike.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Rabbit's Feat (1960) A later but very funny Bugs cartoon. Wile E Coyote wants to cook him. Wile E speaks in his posh accent here, I always thought he was funnier when he spoke. Bugs is very wacky here, calling Wile E his "Daddy", when Wile E falls into the cooking pot, Bugs says "Why Daddy! You're stewed again!"

Dough For The Do Do (1949) There is millions being offered for the capture of the last Do Do bird, Porky decides to look for it. He goes to Wackyland to find him, there are many crazy screwball characters here, including a three headed beast that seems to be based on The Three Stooges.

A Feud There Was (1938) This is one I recall from childhood and it has many significant and interesting things about it. Two feudin' hillbilly families, one with black beards the other with red beards encounter a Peacemaker who wants them to stop the fighting. The Peacemaker looks like Egghead but is called Elmer Fudd, the first time that name is used.

The Hare Brained Hypnotist (1942) A hilarious Bugs/Elmer cartoon, one of their best. Elmer has a book on hypnotism and tries it on Bugs. Elmer tells him "Look into my eyes" and Bugs says "Eh, Dracula!" Bugs then turns the tables on him and makes Elmer act like a rabbit.

• Like 1

Was wondering why( in A FEUD THERE WAS)  all them "hill billies" have red noses.  :huh:

And didn't "Wackyland"  make you think of some kind of acid trip?  ;) 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

And didn't "Wackyland"  make you think of some kind of acid trip?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Yes, definitely surreal. I had read that much of it was inspired by Salvador Dali paintings.

8 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Rabbit's Feat (1960) A later but very funny Bugs cartoon. Wile E Coyote wants to cook him. Wile E speaks in his posh accent here, I always thought he was funnier when he spoke. Bugs is very wacky here, calling Wile E his "Daddy", when Wile E falls into the cooking pot, Bugs says "Why Daddy! You're stewed again!"

It wasn't until listening to the commentary on the recent Blu-ray set that I was able to clear up the mystery of why the later Chuck Jones cartoons (particularly the Bugs-vs.-posh-genius-Wile-E. toons) were so arch, precious and talkity-talk:  Most of the great Jones classics had been gag-written by Warren Foster & Michael Maltese, and when Hanna-Barbera started up in the late 50's with the decline of the theatrical cartoon short, Maltese & Foster defected to write the Huckleberry Hound and Snagglepuss toons, Jones had to write most his last few late-50's Bugs and Road Runner toons himself, and...Jones was no writer.

In case you've ever watched this toon wondering why the heck Bugs is annoying Wile E. (and us) with some weird and disturbing "childlike" act, and when he's going to drop it, move on, make some knowing this-means-war aside to the camera.  🤨

A Feud There Was (1938) This is one I recall from childhood and it has many significant and interesting things about it. Two feudin' hillbilly families, one with black beards the other with red beards encounter a Peacemaker who wants them to stop the fighting. The Peacemaker looks like Egghead but is called Elmer Fudd, the first time that name is used.

...Did it ever strike anyone that "Elmer Fudd" SOUNDED like a hillbilly name?  🤔

This is my absolute favorite Tex Avery toon, even over the wild MGM toons, for some of his most creative Warner gags, two in particular:
One, where the hillbillies are dozing on the porch, instantly break into a jug-band song when a radio mike pops down out of the ceiling, and briefly doze again while an announcer does a commercial.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQie8ggRWWF62u0K9sQ63o

And the other, a 40's reference that absolutely NO ONE gets nowadays:
(Hillbilly checks out basement with rifle):  "Who's down thar?"
(Voice from basement: ) "My name is Non-Stop Corrigan...I thought I was headed for Los Angeles!  It was a mistake!  My compass broke!"
("Wearin' of the Green" musical sting)  

😂.......eh, just Google it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Corrigan

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

And the other, a 40's reference that absolutely NO ONE gets nowadays:
(Hillbilly checks out basement with rifle):  "Who's down thar?"
(Voice from basement: ) "My name is Non-Stop Corrigan...I thought I was headed for Los Angeles!  It was a mistake!  My compass broke!"
("Wearin' of the Green" musical sting)  

😂.......eh, just Google it.

🤣I never heard of Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan, a pilot who wanted to fly from NY to CA, and ended up in Ireland! Apparently he never lived it down, though he lived to the ripe old age of 84.

some good ones this morning:

POPEYE/PINK PANTHER PARTY

A Little Soap And Water (1935) I haven't seen a Betty Boop cartoon in awhile and this one was OK. Betty tries to give her little dog Pudgy a bath and she sings a song. Interesting thing about this is it shows their shadows on the floor while they walk around.

Super Pink (1966) One of the funniest Pink Panther cartoons. Pink is reading a Super Guy comic book and decides to be a super hero himself. He constantly tries to help a little old lady but she ends up with pianos falling on her or getting run over by trains. She turns the tables at the end.

The Little Orphan (1948)  An Oscar winning T&J cartoon. Jerry has to look after Nibbles, an orphan mouse for Thanksgiving. Nibbles is always hungry, which sets up many funny gags. Jerry has some funny screams. He and Nibbles dress as Pilgrims while Tom puts on an Indian headdress and chases them.

Downhearted Duckling (1954) A duckling reads "The Ugly Duckling" and becomes depressed and suicidal. He even begs Tom to eat him! Jerry keeps saving him.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Porky's Duck Hunt (1937) A B&W cartoon as Porky looks to hunt duck and meets up with an early version of Daffy. A funny scene where some fish get drunk and sing "On Moonlight Bay". A couple of funny scenes of Daffy doing his loony routine.

Yankee Dood It (1956) This seems like an educational short about learning the modern way of running a business. However this is one of my favorites from childhood. Elmer Fudd is King of the Elves and is trying to get his elves from working for the old shoemaker. Every time the shoemaker says "Jehoshaphat" it turns an elf into a mouse. He then gets chased by Sylvester. To this day the word "Jehoshaphat" cracks me up.

Fair Haired Hare (1951) A hilarious Bugs/Yosemite Sam cartoon. Sam builds a house over Bugs' rabbit hole. He takes it the highest court in the land and the judge says they have to share the land until one passes away. Sam has an evil chuckle and makes plans. Funny final joke as Sam's house gets blown sky high. "I got a cabin in the sky!"

On 8/7/2021 at 10:34 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yankee Dood It (1956) This seems like an educational short about learning the modern way of running a business. 

There were three educational school shorts on economics that somehow got mixed in with the "regular" Friz Freleng cartoons--

Heir Conditioned (1955), where Sylvester inherits a fortune, but Elmer demonstrates the value of investment, and By Word of Mouse (1954), which demonstrates the market system:

(There was a need for economic information in the 50's, since postwar years worried about inflation, as the economy re-adjusted itself.)

• Like 1

There were three educational school shorts on economics that somehow got mixed in with the "regular" Friz Freleng cartoons

This was an odd cartoon.   I do remember watching this when I was a kid.  It turns out these three cartoons were underwritten by the Alfred P Sloan Foundation (I assume to promote an agenda...).  Anyway a very interesting "time capsule" of the era.  

I missed the first two hours, but many great ones in the third.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Rabbit Fire (1951) This is the classic "Duck Season" "Wabbit Season" one. So many funny scenes and classic lines. Elmer is hunting wabbits but Bugs and Daffy confuse him about what hunting season it is. The funniest part for me was  when the effeminate elephant shows up and threatens Elmer with giving him "such a pinch!" The final gag with Bugs and Daffy hunting Elmers is great too.

The Wise Quacking Duck (1943) A hilarious Daffy cartoon, maybe his greatest solo short. Mild mannered Mr Meek has to get a duck dinner for his wife Sweetie Puss. Daffy is at his craziest here. He makes Mr Meek think he has his head cut off, pushing his head under his neck and throwing ketchup around. Daffy sings a crazy version of "Shortnin' Bread" and Mr Meek says "It's that Daffy Duck!" Daffy comes back with "YOU AIN'T JUST WHISTLIN' DIXIE!" and "Splat" with a pie in the face.

Polar Pals (1939) Porky is living in the North Pole with a family of polar bears in this B&W cartoon. A fur trapper named I. Killem wants to turn all the artic animals into fur coats.

Martian Through Georgia (1962) A unusual and very interesting Chuck Jones cartoon, his animation style is very noticeable. A bored little Martian wants some excitement, he even ignores the sexy female Martian who comes on to him. He goes to Earth and is treated like a monster, some funny scenes with his encounters with Earthlings.

10 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I missed the first two hours, but many great ones in the third.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Rabbit Fire (1951) This is the classic "Duck Season" "Wabbit Season" one. So many funny scenes and classic lines. Elmer is hunting wabbits but Bugs and Daffy confuse him about what hunting season it is. The funniest part for me was  when the effeminate elephant shows up and threatens Elmer with giving him "such a pinch!" The final gag with Bugs and Daffy hunting Elmers is great too.

Growing up I thought the elephant was a spoof on Joe Besser's persona.  This is the first of the Bugs/Daffy feud storylines.

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Growing up I thought the elephant was a spoof on Joe Besser's persona.  This is the first of the Bugs/Daffy feud storylines.

I think you're right. Besser had become famous for his whiny character on radio and films around that time. The next year he would be Stinky on The Abbott And Costello Show.

17 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

The Wise Quacking Duck (1943) Mild mannered Mr Meek has to get a duck dinner for his wife Sweetie Puss.

An obvious homaging of Bill Thompson's "Wallace Wimple" character on radio's Fibber McGee & Molly.

This is early extra-manic Daffy in this one:  He pours Meek a coffee and does the “How many lumps” joke we can see coming.  Meek is ahead of the gag, showing he’s already gotten one “lump” from his wife…”Well, here,” Daffy replies, “have another lump! (bash!)  And some cream, too! (pours pitcher over head)😅

(And yes, the elephant was supposed to be Joe Besser:  “You do and I’ll give you such a pinnnch!”)

• Thanks 1

Some good ones today:

POPEYE AND PINK PANTHER PARTY

Nurse Mates (1940) Popeye and Bluto baby sit Swee'Pea while Olive is at the beauty parlor. Many funny scenes, Bluto washes the baby on an old washboard. Popeye finds Swee'Pea putting ink spots on his own face, Popeye uses spot remover but it erases his whole face.

Pink A Boo (1966) Funny Pink Panther one as a mouse steals food and he invites his pals to party and play music. An exterminator sprays Pink by mistake.

Cellbound (1955) Hilarious Tex Avery cartoon with an Irish accented bull dog in Sing Song Prison for 500 years. He decides to tunnel out but ends up inside the warden's TV set. He uses various disguises to make the warden think it is different TV shows. Funniest scene is where the bull dog has his own dance band and the warden does a wild dance routine.

The Blue Danube (1939) Interesting Hugh Harman short done a year before Disney's Fantasia. There is beautiful animation done to title Strauss waltz. Some risque moments with a nearly naked water fairy. Also some naked (though not anatomically correct) babies.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Little Red Walking Hood (1937) One of many Looney Tunes versions of the classic fairy tale and this is a good one. Little Red is a cute little blond with a Katherine Hepburn voice. The Wolf is more lecherous than hungry, following her in a convertible. Egghead keeps showing up for a running gag.

Greetings Bait (1943) A worm (based on Jerry Colonna) uses clever ways to entice fish to the hook. He has a funny encounter with a dim witted fish as he does a trapeze act. Also he fights with a crab and gets him to remove his shell.

Not remembering the title(but not on purpose) but the one with Sylvester and Tweety which has Granny threatening to give Sylvester to the violin string factory if he doesn't leave Tweety alone tickled each time I've seen it.    I had to explain to my kids(when they got to seeing it) that violin strings were once made of a material from various animal intestines and called catgut, but never was the intestines from cats ever used.  There still seems to be some debate as to where the name comes from.  But it did become the impetus for a gag by FRED ALLEN about pseudo rival JACK BENNY'S violin playing.   The schtick of Benny's was him thinking he was a great violinist while he didn't play well at all(in reality, Benny was a very competent violinist and his dismal playing was done for laughs)   Fred Allen once quipped;

"Benny plays the fiddle like the strings are still in the cat!"  :D 

Sepiatone

Not remembering the title(but not on purpose) but the one with Sylvester and Tweety which has Granny threatening to give Sylvester to the violin string factory if he doesn't leave Tweety alone tickled each time I've seen it.

That was Tweet And Sour from 1956. Yes, that was funny too, especially when Sylvester hears that funeral dirge from both Granny and Tweety.

• Thanks 1

Not remembering the title(but not on purpose) but the one with Sylvester and Tweety which has Granny threatening to give Sylvester to the violin string factory if he doesn't leave Tweety alone tickled each time I've seen it. 

Me, I'm trying to remember the cartoon where a slightly senile Granny, on the farm, tells the bulldog "Hector?  Don't let anything happen to Tweety, or 'a-a-a-a-a-a!' (mimes machine gun)"  The dog cringes but signals "coo-coo" to the audience.

• Like 2

I missed some of the first hour, some good ones today:

POPEYE/PINK PANTHER PARTY

Les Miserobots (1968) The Commissioner  replaces The Inspector with a robot policeman. Funny scenes as the Inspector tries to kill off the robot, in the end the Commissioner gets replaced too.

Little Rural Riding Hood (1949) Another of Tex Avery's Red Riding Hood spoofs. A country wolf is pursuing a gawky buck toothed Red but his city cousin invites him  to see the sexy showgirl Red in his city. The country cousin has the usual eye popping reaction.

Little Johnny Jet (1953) Airplanes are given human characteristics in this good short. John, a B29 can't find a job because everyone wants jets now. His wife Mary is expecting a little airplane. He turns out to be a jet. Junior ends up saving his dad in the end.

Posse Cat (1954) A funny T&J cartoon set in the West. Tom's rancher owner will not feed him unless he gets rid of Jerry. Many funny scenes as the rancher keeps shooting at Tom.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

She Was An Acrobat's Daughter (1937) An entertaining short set in a movie theater, the customers are various animals. There is Gooftone News with Dole Promise (probably based on Lowell Thomas). There is a sing a long on the title song with some wacky lyrics. Best of all is a spoof of The Petrified Forest with some animated versions of Leslie Howard and Bette Davis.

Bedtime For Sniffles (1940) Sniffles the mouse tries to stay awake when Santa Claus comes. This is one of the cute Sniffles cartoons but has some funny moments as he drinks coffee and listens to the radio to stay up. A nice one for Christmas time.

Hare Conditioned (1945) Early but funny Bugs cartoon. He is employed in a department store window display. The smarmy store manager (based on The Great Gildersleeve) wants to have him stuffed for the taxidermy department. Funniest scenes as they run through every department of the store, including the lingerie.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:42 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

She Was An Acrobat's Daughter (1937)   Best of all is a spoof of The Petrified Forest with some animated versions of Leslie Howard and Bette Davis.

tumblr_m6t782qbI51rw6lx6o1_r1_500.gif

"I'm a poet, after a fashion:  'Mary lad a little ham'..er, 'Mary mad a bit of mam'....oh, she had a GOAT."

On 8/28/2021 at 10:42 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Hare Conditioned (1945) Early but funny Bugs cartoon. He is employed in a department store window display. The smarmy store manager (based on The Great Gildersleeve) wants to have him stuffed for the taxidermy department. Funniest scenes as they run through every department of the store, including the lingerie.

I remember when Disney's Tarzan (1999) came out, animation wags said that when villain Clayton first appears onscreen with his rifle, they expected him to say "Heheheh...Kind of outsmarted you, eh, little chum?"

mkay25sasdm41.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Like 2
3 hours ago, EricJ said:

"I'm a poet, after a fashion:  'Mary lad a little ham'..er, 'Mary mad a bit of mam'....oh, she had a GOAT."

LOL, I wish they would have done an animated Bogart as well.

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

LOL, I wish they would have done an animated Bogart as well.

Oh, they did that, later, when they did the animated Lauren Bacall cartoon:

• Haha 1

I missed the first hour, here are some I liked this morning:

Ah Sweet Mouse Story Of Life (1965) A later but very funny T&J cartoon from Chuck Jones. Tom chases Jerry along the ledge of their high rise building. Some surreal moments as Jerry uses a question mark to hook onto a pole. He also gets daggers out of his thought bubbles to throw at Tom.

Scat Cats (1957) Spike and Tyke get a cartoon to themselves without T&J for a change. Their owners leave Spike in charge and the family cat calls up some buddies to have a party. One of the cats has an Art Carney/Ed Norton type voice. Many funny scenes as the cats try to sneak into the house.

BUGS BUNNY AND FRIENDS

Odor-able Kitty (1945) An interesting and significant cartoon. An alley cat (he has a Lou Costello imitation voice) is constantly chased away and beaten up so he paints himself black and white and covers himself with Limburger cheese and onions to appear to be a skunk. A real and amorous skunk falls in love with him, this is the first appearance of the character later known as Pepe Le Pew. One of the funniest things here is his French accent turns out to be a fraud.

Rabbit Romeo (1957) Elmer Fudd's uncle sends him Millicent, a female rabbit from Slobovia. He captures Bugs to keep her company. The huge and lovesick Slobovian rabbit chases after Bugs. Millicent's voice is suppled by June Foray, in a Russian accent similar to the one she would use for Natasha in Rocky And Bullwinkle.

Wackiki Rabbit (1943) One of my favorite Bugs cartoons, in my top five. We get a Mutt and Jeff pair of castaways who end up on a South Seas island. The pair have most of the laughs here, the taller one is only slightly smarter than the short one. I have read that their appearance is based on WB cartoon writers Ted Pierce and Michael Maltese, they also supply the voices. Bugs is on the island and the two guys start singing "We're gonna have roast rabbit!" They are constantly outsmarted by Bugs, one of the funniest scenes is a wacky dance sequence that Bugs tricks them into performing.

• Like 1