Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Overboard" (scheduled for later today)

it coulda been better but the ending was too sappy. I would have liked to have seen the kids get on board the yacht and throw water on her mother.

doan look for a remake as it is just too politically incorrect for Hollywood.

Overboard (1987) vs. Overboard (2018)

OVERBOARD (1987): A cruel but beautiful heiress screws over a hired  carpenter, who later is the first one to find her wh⦠| Overboard movie,  Love movie, Goldie hawn

The movie had quite a bit of language, even if there weren't any of the really strong words that usually get films Rs, although there is one scene where one man says a foreign-language word twice and a news anchor starts panicking because it sounds like the f-word. Plus Goldie Hawn's swimsuit toward the beginning leaves very little to the imagination. Those are the only things I can think of to explain the TV-MA. As for the film, it's very cute, but somebody once wasn't happy that I liked it, calling the most sexist movie ever made. :unsure: (dare I point out the 1987 film was written by a woman?)

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

doan look for a remake as it is just too politically incorrect for Hollywood.

Actually, they DID do a 10's remake, because abandoned out-of-copyright 80's MGM movies are free for the taking (and cheap-remaking).

And, because they thought Ghostbusters would be a hit, it's the petty politically-correct power-fantasy of a female dumping her overbearing male boss.

maxresdefault-3-2-816x459.jpg

(But at least they didn't change the title, like the cheap PD-MGM power-fantasy female 10's remakes of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and "Back to School".)

it is a great comedic performance by Goldie Hawn. she gives us this great mentally vacuuous bimbo stare and the hilarious way she arranges chicken wings in a pot.

"HUHHHzzzzz"

Goldie Hawn As A Joanna/Annie (From Overboard) (1987) - YouTube

Halloweek 2016: Family Halloween Costumes

o.k. - sounds like a lot of variables under 1 title. perhaps we were actually shorted w/ only 2 conflicting ratings? not that they're (audience suitability ratings) engraved in stone anyway.  probably better not get into how the "uncut and unedited" endeavor may &/or should affect the rating, huh?

* April 7: saw this when they ran it again a few weeks ago  - being in front row when it started rolling.  which i guess i sumwut wasn't b4, az Goldie strutting the deck wearing not much more than a long string was a new discovery for me.

need to inventory "the Goodbye Girl" later today - seemed it had taken a bit of a beating last time it ran.  

I think the real question is why TCM showed this lousy movie.  I saw it on cable back when it was fairly new, and I didn't like it then.  What I saw of it last night didn't change my mind -- it still seemed like a lousy movie.

If others like this movie, I'm glad they enjoyed watching it again last night.  But if Hallmark had still been showing Christmas movies, I would have turned over for a superior viewing experience.  (Actually, I did change channels, to PBS.)  I feel like TCM let me down.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, BingFan said:

I think the real question is why TCM showed this lousy movie.  I saw it on cable back when it was fairly new, and I didn't like it then.  What I saw of it last night didn't change my mind -- it still seemed like a lousy movie.

If others like this movie, I'm glad they enjoyed watching it again last night.  But if Hallmark had still been showing Christmas movies, I would have turned over for a superior viewing experience.  (Actually, I did change channels, to PBS.)  I feel like TCM let me down.

I assume the showing of Overboard relates to Goldie Hawn and the aging of the TCM and the audience.  

Hawn is now a "classic" movie star????     Hey she did the film Cactus Flower with Ingrid Bergman and Walter Matthau and Goldie won an Oscar for the film.  (as well as Butterflies are Free with Eileen Heckart).     

Not defending TCM's decision (I don't feel such a film "fits" TCM's branding),    just laying down a possible reason.

I can only think it was to draw the viewership from other channels as CMT shows it quite regularly.  But of course, with commercial interruptions.  

Sepiatone

13 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I can only think it was to draw the viewership from other channels as CMT shows it quite regularly.  But of course, with commercial interruptions.  

Sepiatone

The theme for the two primetime movies that night was "Man Overboard".  

Note:  I had to correct the post.  I double-checked the actual theme listed by TCM.    

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

The theme for the two primetime movies that night was "Man Overboard".  

Note:  I had to correct the post.  I double-checked the actual theme listed by TCM.    

I love this film but I can see why people will have issues with TCM airing this. But it does fit the theme of the night.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LorenzoL said:

I love this film but I can see why people will have issues with TCM airing this. But it does fit the theme of the night.

While I also enjoy the film (when the kids are not in the scenes, since I find them just annoying),   TCM could have aired many other 30s, 40s, 50s or 60s films related to the theme.

Oh, well.     Time to move on.

I was surprised to find this film on the schedule, but it’s the first time I’ve seen the full film including parts cut for network showings of the movie.  I don’t see it as a great film but it is absolutely entertaining and the humor is very enjoyable.  Goldie Hawn is hilarious in all her incarnations and offers some wonderful lines (“I didn’t marry very well did I?” And “Shut up and eat your checkers.”) .  Those are just two examples.  Her vocal tone, her body language and herfacial expressions absolutely enrich the story line.  

• Like 2

I always thought the movie as entertaining a bit, not necessarily a "have to watch it again and again" meaning once was enough for me.  And DEFINITELY  not "TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES  material as I don't consider it a "classic" in any sense.  

Sepiatone

13 hours ago, Trylon said:

I was surprised to find this film on the schedule, but it’s the first time I’ve seen the full film including parts cut for network showings of the movie.  I don’t see it as a great film but it is absolutely entertaining and the humor is very enjoyable.  Goldie Hawn is hilarious in all her incarnations and offers some wonderful lines (“I didn’t marry very well did I?” And “Shut up and eat your checkers.”) .  Those are just two examples.  Her vocal tone, her body language and herfacial expressions absolutely enrich the story line.  

My favorite line was when she was looking in the mirror at the ridiculously oversized clothing they got from a thrift store and claimed were hers to perpetuate their fraud. (Skeptically) "I'm a short...fat..s*lut?" I'm happy to go against the grain here because I think Goldie, especially once she started producing as well as acting, was part of a mini-golden age of female-centric comedy in the 1980's, along with many of the Disney Bette Midler comedies. As well as her well-honed comedic skills she brought some real smarts to the roles and created believable arcs for the evolution of her characters. Big fan. I personally don't feel as though 80's pop culture in general has aged all that well (Any incoming?) but even though Overboard bears the stamp of its era, it still tickles me and I admire Goldie and Kurt for what they achieved with that film.

• Like 2
On 1/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume the showing of Overboard relates to Goldie Hawn and the aging of the TCM and the audience.  

Hawn is now a "classic" movie star????     Hey she did the film Cactus Flower with Ingrid Bergman and Walter Matthau and Goldie won an Oscar for the film.  (as well as Butterflies are Free with Eileen Heckart).     

Not defending TCM's decision (I don't feel such a film "fits" TCM's branding),    just laying down a possible reason.

Probably. It seems according to MovieCollector's archive that Overboard had aired on TCM three times before this, although there was a 15 year gap between the third time and Sunday's airing. Goldie probably is considered to be at least a semi-classic name now, given that she made her first big splash in show business in 1968, and (aside from narration on one and a cameo in another) all but 5 of the films she appeared in were released at least 25 years ago. But, Overboard also has a small role for Roddy McDowell; McDowell of course was a long-time Hollywood player, and was one of the biggest members on the Hollywood scene (he was friends with practically everyone), and as it so happens, he also produced the picture. So that might be an in.

• Like 1

With regards to if Overboard is a sexist film;    I don't really think so.    To me it is more about a spoiled rich brat that had been pampered all their lives and therefor don't know how to deal with the so called lesser-class of folks  (from their POV).    As noted,  the genders could be switched and most of the plot would still work,  other than the kids and Goldie as a mom.    

I don't think Kirk as a father was a sexist backward type roadkill husband.   That was just an act to teach Goldie's spoiled brat character a lesson.    If the genders were reversed that could have played out as the women is the one that goes to work and the man is the house-husband.    That could lead to some great scenes as the spoiled man,  that has never had to do any domestic work (or yardwork),   is at home all day having to do those chores.    (since men are generally a lot more clueless in this regard,  spoiled or not).