Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please cancel this years Oscars

As everyone knows, Covid has taken its toll on California, and this years Oscars are really insignificant compared to the chance of spreading Covid due to an awards ceremony. So to be cautious and not have the awards is a small sacrifice compared to the chance that many could possible get very ill or even die due to Covid.

Therefore the 2021 Oscars should be cancelled.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

As everyone knows, Covid has taken its toll on California, and this years Oscars are really insignificant compared to the chance of spreading Covid due to an awards ceremony. So to be cautious and not have the awards is a small sacrifice compared to the chance that many could possible get very ill or even die due to Covid.

You haven't been paying attention, have you? The post-Covid-19 awards shows have been virtual. 

Even Dua Lipa's amazing levitation bit at the American Music Awards in November was done at another site in London. What makes you think the Oscars won't be able to do the same thing?

• Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I mean, not all the awards ceremonies have been virtual. Charley Pride died from COVID just weeks after accepting a Lifetime Achievement Award at the crowded CMAs.

The CMA spokespeople and Pride's manager said proper precautions were taken for the country great's appearance at the awards show. It's just possible that Pride deteriorated afterwards as fast as Dawn Wells did. 

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

If memory serves, the Oscar ceremonies were never cancelled during the war years, 1942 to 1945. And that would have been a major event to avoid considering the entire world was engulfed one way or another in war. But, many of the English language films being made back then were highly propaganda/flag waving-like films meant to show how the allied forces were beating back fascism. And many of those films were nominated for Oscars.

10 hours ago, jakeem said:

You haven't been paying attention, have you? The post-Covid-19 awards shows have been virtual. 

And so, reportedly, will be the Oscars.

Even so, considering the new looser eligibility standards for '20-'21,  we should change the header title to "Please do not give a nomination sweep to Tenet for being the biggest mainstream 'real' film to show up in a glut of made-for-streaming".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Schadenfreude (/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/; German: [ˈʃaːdn̩ˌfʁɔʏ̯də] (About this soundlisten); lit. 'harm-joy') is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.

Well Tom, I DO have to admit that just about a month ago, I myself experieced this very feeling after...

(...well after...ah, YOU know!)  ;)

LOL

• Haha 3

OH, and btw...the above would ALSO apply to any and all "movie stars" TOO!

(...here in an effort to steer this baby back to the topic of the Academy Awards, ya see!)

LOL

15 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, of course here, James ol' boy!

I mean, isn't one of the definitions of a "moron" somebody who'd be a part of a gathering with its purpose being the rabid support of a single solidary individual (who takes a crap just like the rest of us and is just as fallable as the rest of us) and instead of somebody who'd gather for a justifiable cause? And, whether they're wearin' a freakin' mask or NOT?!

(...well dude, ANYBODY who'd attend a freakin' rally for ANY "single solidary individual" has always been "defined" as a "moron" in MY book, anyway...and ya know WHY?...well, it's because I always remember that thing about THEM takin' a crap like I do, and so this sort'a keeps me from ever placin' 'em on any sort'a pedestal, THAT'S why!)

LOL

I didn't use the term "moron" because of the nature of the protest (or any reason to gather in any number over 10,  or now in So Cal,  any contact with anyone outside one's household) but only to describe anyone that goes to a gathering of that size, during a pandemic,  PERIOD.

So,  yea,  even if John and George came back from the heavens,  and joined Paul and Ringo,   for a concert,    I would still say anyone that went was a moron.

Of course I feel BLM protest were much, much more important,  as well as legit,  than the misguided Trumper protest that the election was stolen,  but all of that is irrelevant to my point and the use of "moron" in the context I used it in.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Vidor said:

Wacky idea: hold the Oscars outside.  See if you can book Dodger Stadium.

Dodger Stadium is already being used as a facility for vaccinations.    It was being used for testing,  but was just changed this week for vaccinations.  

So it is your idea that is beyond wacky.

Personally, The Oscars lost their Golden Glow a long time ago.  Too many award shows, too many categories.  Ten films but five directors.  And, while I believe in equity, I believe awards should be given on merit.  I am also unhappy with the way streaming has taken away from the joy of watching a movie at a cinema.  Due to the pandemic, many of these cinemas are being forced to close.  While physically difficult for me, it is fun/interesting/fill in the blank to see a movie at a drive-in or a movie theater.

4 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Personally, The Oscars lost their Golden Glow a long time ago.  Too many award shows, too many categories.  Ten films but five directors.  And, while I believe in equity, I believe awards should be given on merit.  I am also unhappy with the way streaming has taken away from the joy of watching a movie at a cinema.  Due to the pandemic, many of these cinemas are being forced to close.  While physically difficult for me, it is fun/interesting/fill in the blank to see a movie at a drive-in or a movie theater.

Mention "drive-in" to most youth these days and they'll only think of "fast food" or root beer.  ;)   The now defunct TV comedy THE MIDDLE once did an amusing episode about it.  Tried to find a clip but couldn't.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
9 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

The drive-ins have been used during the pandemic (not just for movies).  When we used to return from Canada to WNY, there was a drive-in on the way home and some people got distracted watching the film.

The return of the Drive-In (now in state parks, with FM radio and inflatable screens, and not cement parking lots) and the fall of AMC...Never say the Pandemic never brought great things to the movies.  😄

We don't have any of the makeshift drive-ins in our area, though, so I've had to make do with that collection of "Drive-In Concession Ads" on Amazon Prime, and run a 10-minute countdown before my Blu-ray movies while running for Coke, bathroom and microwave popcorn.  🍿😎

1 hour ago, Vidor said:

Eh, the Rose Bowl then.  Any large outdoor venue.

The Rose Bowl would be a good place.     No football played there since the L.A. college football teams stink! 

On 1/12/2021 at 10:57 AM, NipkowDisc said:

all Trump has to do is say it should be canceled and it will be on for sure!

:lol:

Sounds like you want to impeach Oscar.

• Haha 1

The Oscars are done. As are most televised awards show. Politics have ruined these once genuine and viewable awards show. Which have become nothing but left wing propaganda platforms. This year's Oscars will begin a whole new criteria centered upon identity politics and so few areas rewarding true artistic merit. I stopped watching years ago. Sadly this event will also die a slow painful death!

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, reneex said:

The Oscars are done. As are most televised awards show. Politics have ruined these once genuine and viewable awards show. Which have become nothing but left wing propaganda platforms. This year's Oscars will begin a whole new criteria centered upon identity politics and so few areas rewarding true artistic merit. I stopped watching years ago. Sadly this event will also die a slow painful death!

Maybe done for you but the left wing loves them! 

Since that wing grows day in and day out the Oscars will not die.       

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Vidor said:

No one cares.

I still watch, even though the Oscar committee themselves destroyed the Best Picture race in 2004 and 2009, because of Harvey Weinstein and "Dark Knight" fans, respectively.

And although both are still evil, can we at least repeal the '04 changes, now that the bad man isn't around anymore?