Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lowering TCM standards?


Recommended Posts

Love TCM for the variety and quality of films and documentaries.  I strongly question the decision to broadcast the movie "Pepi, Lucy.../see attached.  The description on cable mentions how 3 women's lives interact... The attached should have been posted especially 'the masochistic wife...' as a warning..  Couldn't watch past 10 minutes of this crude film. Scene of rape and  a woman peeing on the wife's face, which she enjoys, places this film in a different movie channel, definitely not TCM.   It had a 1.5 stars yet it definitely should not been broadcast.  

Screenshot_20210104-164052_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The other film shown late Sunday as part of TCM Imports, Labyrinth of Passion (1982), is pretty far out there as well.  Both are early works of director Pedro Almodóvar, so that was the justification for showing them on TCM.

If that wasn’t enough, TCM is featuring Almodóvar on TCM Imports all month long.  The remaining lineup is:

10th - Dark Habits (1983), What Have I Done to Deserve This? (1984)
17th - Matador (1986), Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)
24th - Kika (1994), The Flower of My Secret (1995)
31st - Live Flesh (1997), All About My Mother (1999)

All of these are TCM premieres, so perhaps TCM is showing them as some kind of a package deal.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

The other film shown late Sunday as part of TCM Imports, Labyrinth of Passion (1982), is pretty far out there as well.  Both are early works of director Pedro Almodóvar, so that was the justification for showing them on TCM.

If that wasn’t enough, TCM is featuring Almodóvar on TCM Imports all month long.  The remaining lineup is:

10th - Dark Habits (1983), What Have I Done to Deserve This? (1984)
17th - Matador (1986), Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)
24th - Kika (1994), The Flower of My Secret (1995)
31st - Live Flesh (1997), All About My Mother (1999)

All of these are TCM premieres, so perhaps TCM is showing them as some kind of a package deal.

BUT, do they get any better???????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Almodóvar

:unsure:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jeg said:

Love TCM for the variety and quality of films and documentaries.  I strongly question the decision to broadcast the movie "Pepi, Lucy.../see attached.  The description on cable mentions how 3 women's lives interact... The attached should have been posted especially 'the masochistic wife...' as a warning..  Couldn't watch past 10 minutes of this crude film. Scene of rape and  a woman peeing on the wife's face, which she enjoys, places this film in a different movie channel, definitely not TCM.   It had a 1.5 stars yet it definitely should not been broadcast.  

Screenshot_20210104-164052_DuckDuckGo.jpg

TCM has always shown equally degrading pictures.  I remember one in which Judy Garland appeared in blackface (Everybody Sing, 1938):

blackgarland.jpg

And in the movie Female (1933), Ruth Chatterton plays the capable president of a successful car company who delivers it into the hands of a man and retires into housewifehood just because he talks disrespectfully to her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mr6666 said:

BUT, do they get any better???????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Almodóvar

:unsure:

The IMDB rating is one way to get an indication of a film’s popularity.
Here are the scores for the Almodóvar films this month:

6.2    Pepi, Luci, Bom (1980)
6.2    Labyrinth of Passion (1982)

6.6    Dark Habits (1983)
7.2    What Have I Done to Deserve This? (1984)

7.0    Matador (1986)
7.6    Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)
         (Oscar nominee for best foreign language film)

6.5    Kika (1994)
7.0    The Flower of My Secret (1995)

7.4    Live Flesh (1997)
7.8    All About My Mother (1999)
         (Oscar winner for best foreign language film)

So there are more highly regarded films coming up in the weeks ahead.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So are you telling me that you are not a fan of Almodovar films? 😀

It's not any different with some of the film choices TCM Underground airs and is not like it aired during Primetime.

I love Almodovar films but it's not for everybody especially his early films which Pepi, Luci, Bom and Labyrinth of Passion were.

Different strokes for different folks.

Lowering standards! That's laughable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't the first time that TCM Imports (or Underground) has aired a film that goes over the top and provoked controversy, I remember the controversy around Maitresse last year. It is true though that Pedro Almodovar, director of this particular film that started this thread, started his career with outrageous, over-the-top films designed to create controversy (Matador opens with a man pleasuring himself while watching slasher movie clips of women getting killed, a scene which get the film an NC-17 for aberrant sexuality), but he grew a bit more restrained as the years passed. Women on the verge of a Nervous Breakdown is the tamest of his pre-1995 works and it was up for an Oscar; some of his later ones (All About My Mother, Talk to Her, Volver, and Pain and Glory) were also Oscar-nodded. He's definitely not for everyone, but its easy to say that this appeared on TCM as part of a retrospective of his work, given that he is now considered one of the master directors of world film.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

This isn't the first time that TCM Imports (or Underground) has aired a film that goes over the top and provoked controversy, I remember the controversy around Maitresse last year. It is true though that Pedro Almodovar, director of this particular film that started this thread, started his career with outrageous, over-the-top films designed to create controversy (Matador opens with a man pleasuring himself while watching slasher movie clips of women getting killed, a scene which get the film an NC-17 for aberrant sexuality), but he grew a bit more restrained as the years passed. Women on the verge of a Nervous Breakdown is the tamest of his pre-1995 works and it was up for an Oscar; some of his later ones (All About My Mother, Talk to Her, Volver, and Pain and Glory) were also Oscar-nodded. He's definitely not for everyone, but its easy to say that this appeared on TCM as part of a retrospective of his work, given that he is now considered one of the master directors of world film.

I can't wait the reaction that some of you will have when you watch "Kika". I have yet to watch Dark Habits, What I have Done to Deserve This? and Matador so I can't speak for those films.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there are many students of film who are interested in the early work of certain directors or the quality of the light in some  film's final scene, or whether or not the director was a woman,  but I have COVID right now which has made me even crankier than usual, so when I got up at five the other morning and turned on TCM to shake the nightmares and found several people performing oral sex on each other in Labyrinth of Passion, I was not best pleased because, you know, if I had wanted hard core porn I would have bought a different channel.

Not speaking for anyone else,  just putting my vote in.😉

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

I'm sure there are many students of film who are interested in the early work of certain directors or the quality of the light in some  film's final scene, or whether or not the director was a woman,  but I have COVID right now which has made me even crankier than usual, so when I got up at five the other morning and turned on TCM to shake the nightmares and found several people performing oral sex on each other in Labyrinth of Passion, I was not best pleased because, you know, if I had wanted hard core porn I would have bought a different channel.

Not speaking for anyone else,  just putting my vote in.😉

Andrea, hoping that you're feeling much better asap. Sorry to read you're ill.  I didn't watch the film, can't blame you for feeling that way about the programming.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

I'm sure there are many students of film who are interested in the early work of certain directors or the quality of the light in some  film's final scene, or whether or not the director was a woman,  but I have COVID right now which has made me even crankier than usual, so when I got up at five the other morning and turned on TCM to shake the nightmares and found several people performing oral sex on each other in Labyrinth of Passion, I was not best pleased because, you know, if I had wanted hard core porn I would have bought a different channel.

Not speaking for anyone else,  just putting my vote in.😉

I understand your POV.     Not sure what you mean by "would have bought a different channel".

E.g.  you pay a fee just for TCM?   i.e. a direct TCM fee?    (for me it is part of a cable bundle of channels).

If yes,   just because a channel might show some content you don't desire,  that means you would cancel the entire service?    

I assume that most of TCM's programming is content you do desire.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well no, I didn't say I would cancel TCM because of a few shows.  I adore TCM.

The channel "I would have bought" if I wanted to watch people have sex would have been the Playboy channel or whatever.

Not really, you take me too literally, James.

Yes, I do pay a special fee for TCM it's part of a deal I made to stay with Spectrum when I was thinking of switching one time.

Thanks @ Lavenderblue19.  I'm much better now, a week ago I never would have been able to sit up and put my two cents in which shows you how desperately ill I was!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

Well no, I didn't say I would cancel TCM because of a few shows.  I adore TCM.

The channel "I would have bought" if I wanted to watch people have sex would have been the Playboy channel or whatever.

Not really, you take me too literally, James.

Yes, I do pay a special fee for TCM it's part of a deal I made to stay with Spectrum when I was thinking of switching one time.

Thanks @ Lavenderblue19.  I'm much better now, a week ago I never would have been able to sit up and put my two cents in which shows you how desperately ill I was!

Sorry,  I clearly misread the "brought" comment as related to TCM.      I also love TCM and some of the programming "lately"  (say the last 6 months),  hasn't been the type of programming I desire,  but as long as TCM continues to show mostly American Studio-Era films (30s - 60s).

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

Well no, I didn't say I would cancel TCM because of a few shows.  I adore TCM.

The channel "I would have bought" if I wanted to watch people have sex would have been the Playboy channel or whatever.

Not really, you take me too literally, James.

Yes, I do pay a special fee for TCM it's part of a deal I made to stay with Spectrum when I was thinking of switching one time.

Thanks @ Lavenderblue19.  I'm much better now, a week ago I never would have been able to sit up and put my two cents in which shows you how desperately ill I was!

You're welcome Andrea, so glad that you're on the mend :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2021 at 3:45 PM, CinemaInternational said:

This isn't the first time that TCM Imports (or Underground) has aired a film that goes over the top and provoked controversy, I remember the controversy around Maitresse last year. It is true though that Pedro Almodovar, director of this particular film that started this thread, started his career with outrageous, over-the-top films designed to create controversy (Matador opens with a man pleasuring himself while watching slasher movie clips of women getting killed, a scene which get the film an NC-17 for aberrant sexuality), but he grew a bit more restrained as the years passed. Women on the verge of a Nervous Breakdown is the tamest of his pre-1995 works and it was up for an Oscar; some of his later ones (All About My Mother, Talk to Her, Volver, and Pain and Glory) were also Oscar-nodded. He's definitely not for everyone, but its easy to say that this appeared on TCM as part of a retrospective of his work, given that he is now considered one of the master directors of world film.

Ah well........I always have recordings or Netflix

-_-

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...