Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trump Insurrection: Takeover of the Capitol of the United States

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

MHoeMF7d_bigger.jpg

One of the men photographed carrying zip-tie handcuffs on the Senate floor unmasked as a decorated Air Force veteran. My latest for :

According to a news story in The Dallas Morning News, he is no longer working for Hillwood Airways, which is a Perot company (just about anything named Hillwood in this area is associated with the Perots).  According to the DMN  story, Hillwood wouldn't comment on when his employment ended, but the original story in the New Yorker stated he was currently employed.

18 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yep. I can't imagine houses in Palm Springs come cheap either.

And with a cement pond too. This was in 2016 after the easy to get a mortgage era. I forgot for a minute

she had a son, so I assume she was married at some time. Leaving my Palm Springs house to.....go work

part-time at the drug store. I still feel very sorry for that woman. Like many of these cases it was a story

of bad luck, this time the wrong person showing up to answer to an ad.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hamradio said:

January 20 is one safeguard, the certification on Capital Hill is regarded "ceremonial".

Another safeguard is the Electoral College itself  prevents abuse of power by which Biden won by a large margin.

How is it an abuse of power for the person who received the most votes to be elected to the office, as happens

in elections for every other office in the U.S. All recent events show is that it's time to get rid of this creaky old

outdated procedure.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

You would have to ask him what he meant by this but JakeHolman recently posted this ...

“Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

Great words, contemporaneous... 250 years ago.  WE law abiding loyal Americans are on the tempestuous sea of Liberty!  The "timid men" are the looters, ran-sackers, thieves, thugs, liars, killers, and that one DEMAGOGUE.  They are all afraid. 

51 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Great words, contemporaneous... 250 years ago.  WE law abiding loyal Americans are on the tempestuous sea of Liberty!  The "timid men" are the looters, ran-sackers, thieves, thugs, liars, killers, and that one DEMAGOGUE.  They are all afraid. 

This quote is wrong, as it's from a letter, originally written in English, translated to French and then back again into English and was indeed from Thomas Jefferson, in 1797 when he was Vice President.  The translated quote is:

all timid men who prefer the calm of despotism to the boisterous sea of liberty

Note: Boisterous became tempestuous when it got translated from English to French and back to English.

In context in the letter, Jefferson is writing a friend who now is living in Italy, and is catching him up on current events of spring 1797.  He is  listing people/groups who he believes are aligned to model the new US Government along the lines of the British, and the "timid men..." etc. is just one of a list of people he's worried about, including, in this order:

• Executive Power (the President)
  • Judiciary Power
  • All the officers of government
  • All who are seeking offices
  • The timid men in the quote above
  • British merchants and the Americans trading on British capitals
  • speculators and holders in the banks and the public funds

It had nothing to do with the Revolutionary War.  It was purely political hyperbole to make a point in his debate about the nature of the government they just created 10 years earlier, and how to navigate foreign relations with Britain and France.   

He felt the US was cozying up to Britain, embracing Federalism, and modeling economic systems more along British lines.  This is the whole states vs. Federal government issue (and partly what the musical Hamilton is about).  Jefferson eventually resigned from Washington's cabinet over disagreements with the Federalists.

This letter was written a couple of years later, when he was VP.  The letter was translated and reprinted in the New York Minerva (published by Noah Webster), a Federalist newspaper.

So it's not a call to arms, or an exhortation to fight.  He's listing people who he believes are Federalists, a position which he doesn't like.

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/01-29-02-0054-0004

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

It was purely political hyperbole to make a point in his debate about the nature of the government they just created 10 years earlier, and how to navigate foreign relations with Britain and France.   

Yes'm. 

There is a much deeper issue people are overlooking, we as a society have set ourselves up to hate losing, which is a recent occurrence (past couple of generations).  This applies to BOTH sides of the political aisle., sports, war (Vietnam), etc.

Parents don't teach losing defines a person much as winning.

2016, 2020 - virtually no difference.

Children witness this, guess what's in store. :(

There are winners and losers - that's part of life - deal with it!  I dread to think how the next generation will behave.

8 hours ago, hamradio said:

There is a much deeper issue people are overlooking, we as a society have set ourselves up to hate losing, which is a recent occurrence (past couple of generations).  This applies to BOTH sides of the political aisle., sports, war (Vietnam), etc.

There are winners and losers - that's part of life - deal with it!  I dread to think how the next generation will behave.

You were very big on posting pictures of young women crying the night when Hillary Clinton lost the election.  You ridiculed them for not being able to handle losing.

How do you think those young women stack up against the thousands of Trump supporters who tried to overthrow the government this week?

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I think an argument could be made either way; the reality is that every conflict starting with Vietnam and since were a waste of the best of American lives, lost with no resolve. 

27 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

You ere very big on posting pictures of young women crying the night when Hillary Clinton lost the election.  You ridiculed them for not being able to handle losing.

How do you think those young women stack up against the thousand of Trump supporters who tried to overthrow the government this week?

I have stated several times the shock and awe from that defeat came from putting too much faith in the POLLS. Voting counts NOT poll numbers.  Believe from this election people finally learned that! (hence record turn out)

And it takes a LOT more than 1 group of rioters to overthrow the government. 

Rioters vs National Guard and the Armed Forces whom took an oath to defend this country from all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC!

(Yeah we are THAT vulnerable to toppling. :lol:)

3 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I think an argument could be made either way; the reality is that every conflict starting with Vietnam and since were a waste of the best of American lives, lost with no resolve. 

Why Biden need to get us out of Afghanistan once and for all. This September will make 20 years!!! :angry:

4 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

yeah, all Hillary's supporters were gutsy enough to do was cry.

:lol:

• Haha 1

cona.png

Greeson looked quite harmless in that pink shirt. (note he used Parler)

https://parler.com/profile/KevinDGreeson/posts

Greeson's family, in their statement, noted that he was "an advocate of President Trump and attended the event on January 6, 2021 to show his support." They added, "He was excited to be there to experience this event—he was not there to participate in violence and rioting, nor did he condone such actions."

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

yeah, all Hillary's supporters were gutsy enough to do was cry.

What's Hillary got to do with it?  It was intense dislike for her that got trump in in the first place.  Looting and rioting and vandalism and threatening and murder and suicide are all wrong.  I think it best you cry. 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Much as I revile them, I feel sorry for them, in a way. They are of another age: the jobs they did are largely no longer necessary; the world they were familiar with has changed; so it's understandable that they take refuge in the fantasies of a madman who gives them something.  A story online about one of the rioters who died said that he accidentally tasered himself in his privates. That's probably apocryphal; nevertheless there is some poetic truth to it. These men have been emasculated by the modern world: there is no place for them, they're lost souls; and what they are enacting now is a sort of dance macabre.

800px-Nuremberg_chronicles_-_Dance_of_De

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Is the moderator laid up with covid?

I am beginning to suspect that the contract ended on: January First and no one with the authority to renew it has noticed.

That is the only explanation why my thread concerning the Danish animated character has remained. No one has used any bad words but far tamer things have disappeared quite quickly.

5 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I am beginning to suspect that the contract ended on: January First and no one with the authority to renew it has noticed.

That is the only explanation why my thread concerning the Danish animated character has remained. No one has used any bad words but far tamer things have disappeared quite quickly.

Was referring to post with obscene word.  Also noticed the word filter isn't working.  Did they decide not to censor anymore? :huh:

8 hours ago, hamradio said:

Why Biden need to get us out of Afghanistan once and for all. This September will make 20 years!!! :angry:

Just remember that there are a lot of other nations in Afghanistan at the behest of America.  Where Trump got it wrong was he was going to pull out without consultation and leave his NATO Allies holding the bag.  That is what is so wrong about it and will only lead to all countries distrusting the United States going forward.

• Thanks 2
16 hours ago, Vautrin said:

And with a cement pond too. This was in 2016 after the easy to get a mortgage era. I forgot for a minute

she had a son, so I assume she was married at some time. Leaving my Palm Springs house to.....go work

part-time at the drug store. I still feel very sorry for that woman. Like many of these cases it was a story

of bad luck, this time the wrong person showing up to answer to an ad.

WHO Are you guys talking about?

12 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Actually, the Gulf War was resolved with a fairly limited loss of American and allied lives.  The mission was to get Iraq out of Kuwait and remove the threat to other Arab nations along the Gulf.  We did that.  Removing Saddam Hussein would have been a plus, but that was not the mission.

• ElCid changed the title to Trump Insurrection: Takeover of the Capitol of the United States