Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trump Insurrection: Takeover of the Capitol of the United States

5 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I'm sure the people in the Capitol other than the Trump Insurrectionists believed it was very violent.  I know I would have.

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Actually, the Gulf War was resolved with a fairly limited loss of American and allied lives.  The mission was to get Iraq out of Kuwait and remove the threat to other Arab nations along the Gulf.  We did that.  Removing Saddam Hussein would have been a plus, but that was not the mission.

Yes, argument either way.  Some feel that conflict was not resolved at all.  It's as if you're arguing with yourself.  You are something of a contrarian.  :)

• Confused 1
9 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Yes, argument either way.  Some feel that conflict was not resolved at all.  It's as if you're arguing with yourself.  You are something of a contrarian.  :)

Don't understand how I am arguing with myself or being a contrarian re: the Gulf War.

Since I was there and read a lot of books and articles after the war, I think my post was clear and accurate.

The mission was to remove Iraqi forces from Kuwait and relieve the threat to Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries.  We did that.  

Getting rid of Saddam Hussein was not a mission of the war itself.  It was a hoped for expectation of some in government, but not a military mission.  

Those in military leadership positions at the highest levels KNEW that going after the head of state of an Arab nation and making regime change a mission would have been a huge problem.  Most of our allies would have withdrawn their troops, especially Arabs.  Saudi Arabia and other Arab nations would have told us to go home. 

Is this clearer?

It turns out this guy was a hero.

YRxweKJT_bigger.jpg

This thread offers a whole new light on that officer holding back/overwhelmed by the mob on the steps in the senate. He distracted the first guy and led the whole pack up the stairs — away from the Senate chamber entrance.
Quote Tweet

L-HC1VG6_mini.jpg

Igor Bobic

@igorbobic
· 13h
Just now realizing how much of a close call it was in the Senate. Literally seconds. https://washingtonpost.com/politics/inside-capitol-siege/2021/01/09/e3ad3274-5283-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html
Show this thread

L-HC1VG6_bigger.jpg

Looking again at the video I took of the mob storming the Senate, there’s a moment when the lead rioter looks right for a second, before continuing to follow the officer left, away from the immediate entrance to the Senate. This happened at 2:14.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, hamradio said:

I have stated several times the shock and awe from that defeat came from putting too much faith in the POLLS. Voting counts NOT poll numbers.  Believe from this election people finally learned that! (hence record turn out)

And it takes a LOT more than 1 group of rioters to overthrow the government. 

Rioters vs National Guard and the Armed Forces whom took an oath to defend this country from all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC!

(Yeah we are THAT vulnerable to toppling. :lol:)

Not if they had all gotten into those chambers and killed all those people.

What happened on January 6th was a full-scale coup attempt. You need to take a look at some of the videos.

Among these people were trained tactical guerrillas. Insurrectionist are not rioters.

College students fighting at a football game are rioters.

When you go into the nation's Capitol with the goal of overthrowing / assassinating/ kidnapping duly elected officials, that makes it a coup attempt.

The reason the whole thing was allowed to get out of hand was because trump would not allow the National Guard to step in. They had to get Federal approval because it was DC and he held it up for two hours or more.

You are trump supporter--

Or you were for the last five years on this website.

What did you think of those trump supporters at the Capitol last Wednesday?

Are you surprised that trump and his supporters ended up like this?

Do you regret having been part of that movement?

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Not if they had all gotten into those chambers and killed all those people.

What happened on January 6th was a full-scale coup attempt. You need to take a look at some of the videos.

Among these people were trained tactical guerrillas. Insurrectionist are not rioters.

College students fighting at a football game are rioters.

When you go into the nation's Capitol with the goal of overthrowing / assassinating/ kidnapping duly elected officials, that makes it a coup attempt.

The reason the whole thing was allowed to get out of hand was because trump would not allow the National Guard to step in. They had to get Federal approval because it was DC and he held it up for two hours or more.

You are trump supporter--

Or you were for the last five years on this website.

What did you think of those trump supporters at the Capitol last Wednesday?

Are you surprised that trump and his supporters ended up like this?

Do you regret having been part of that movement?

Even if one could nuke Washington, the country will go on.  Our system isn't set up to be that vulnerable.

There is a framework for  Continuity of Government which has been strengthen since the Cold War and 9/11.

Coup attempt, try clown attempt.

The Washington Post
The Post Most

bd216f0445b1ce1d627f5d7aa2a391f6-TI2RQWSQOEI6XOLOBZKEI6ZDUE-600-0-70-8.jpg

(Amanda Voisard for The Post)

Inside the Capitol siege: How barricaded lawmakers and aides sounded urgent pleas for help as police lost control

During the rampage, rioters came perilously close to penetrating the inner sanctums of the building while lawmakers were still there.

By Karoun Demirjian, Carol D. Leonnig, Paul Kane and Aaron C. Davis   Read more »

4ce4c35b8407f11ccf3735375eae7cc9-LRMGF2CRZMI6XIPV7WXSRT6KSA-500-0-70-8.jpg
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Even if one could nuke Washington, the country will go on.  Our system isn't set up to be that vulnerable.

There is a framework for  Continuity of Government which has been strengthen since the Cold War and 9/11.

Coup attempt, try clown attempt.

If you had been inside the building you would have known it was a coup attempt by the Trump insurrectionists.  The insurrectionists goal was to stage a "coup" and overthrow the Biden administration before it could take office.   They believed they could force Congress to reject the Electoral College votes and substitute ones favorable to Trump.  Thereby illegally continuing the Trump administration for four more years.  That is a coup.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, ElCid said:

If you had been inside the building you would have known it was a coup attempt by the Trump insurrectionists.  The insurrectionists goal was to stage a "coup" and overthrow the Biden administration before it could take office.   They believed they could force Congress to reject the Electoral College votes and substitute ones favorable to Trump.  Thereby illegally continuing the Trump administration for four more years.  That is a coup.

Any such attempt would had failed 7 ways to Sunday.

Biden's victory is sealed!  January 20 WILL happen!

• Confused 1
6 minutes ago, hamradio said:

It was a clownish coup attempt.  

Most coup attempts have military backing and these traitors didn't have that. 

16 hours ago, hamradio said:

There is a much deeper issue people are overlooking, we as a society have set ourselves up to hate losing, which is a recent occurrence (past couple of generations).  This applies to BOTH sides of the political aisle., sports, war (Vietnam), etc.

Parents don't teach losing defines a person much as winning.

2016, 2020 - virtually no difference.

Children witness this, guess what's in store. :(

There are winners and losers - that's part of life - deal with it!  I dread to think how the next generation will behave.

El Cid, this I perceived as your pov.  I was actually agreeing with you... or was it Hamradio?    I thought the subject was grace in defeat, not the Gulf War.  I expect you'd know more about that. 

18 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

El Cid, this I perceived as your pov.  I was actually agreeing with you... or was it Hamradio?    I thought the subject was grace in defeat, not the Gulf War.  I expect you'd know more about that. 

Well the point is grace in defeat which many Americans don't seem to have any more.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, hamradio said:

The issue is that it was a coup attempt and the insurrectionists thought they would be successful.  Stupid, clownish, sure to fail is not the issue.

38 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It was a clownish coup attempt.  

Most coup attempts have military backing and these traitors didn't have that. 

Depending on the coup and country some require very little from the military.  Although most are done by senior military officers.

35 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I'm getting confused as Ham's post does not seem to relate at all to what we were discussing.  As I recall, you said US had not won a war since WW II and I replied that we won the Gulf War.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, ElCid said:

The issue is that it was a coup attempt and the insurrectionists thought they would be successful.  Stupid, clownish, sure to fail is not the issue.

And my bet is that most of them thought that a President Donald Trump would reward them for what they were doing.

On another note, his upcoming pardons are going to look a helluva lot sleazier now.  As are his medals to Devon Nunes and Jim Jordan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, ElCid said:

As I recall, you said US had not won a war since WW II

I did not "say" that, though one reading what I wrote could certainly construe it. 

I admit this forum is often difficult to keep up with.  Sorry for misunderstanding.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Allhallowsday said:

Who is "we" and how isn't it?  Confused too.

We is you and I and our posts.  I was not referring to Ham's posts, at least not intentionally.

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Well the point is grace in defeat which many Americans don't seem to have any more.

hillary-clinton-donald-trump.jpg

I know a lot of people didn't like her but you have to say this about Hillary Clinton ... when the time came she had class and guts.

Trump has neither class or guts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I know a lot of people didn't like her but you have to say this about Hillary Clinton ... when the time came she had class and guts.

Trump has neither class or guts.

Dig it!  Exactly.  I admire all kinds of people these days, like MITT ROMNEY, that I had previously thought little of. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • ElCid changed the title to Trump Insurrection: Takeover of the Capitol of the United States