Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, yeasandi said:

Idk about ya'll but I love the international ending compared to the crap ending they showed us in theaters.  What about you???

This is from Wiki:

The print that has aired on TCM since 1999[3] shows the international ending and briefly displays The End followed by a title card that reads: “You have just seen the original ‘International’ 1939 ending of MGM’s ‘Idiots (sic) Delight’ which is spiritual and optimistic in tone. We now present the original ‘domestic’ theatrical ending that seems to ignore the fact that the rest of the world is at war.” However, the second ending does include Irene’s line, “The whole world has gone to war!” Dramatic music plays while this card is displayed.

 

Domestic[edit]

The ending shown to the domestic (U.S., Canadian) audience replaced the hymn from the play with Harry and Irene talking about their plans for the future in hopes of diverting their minds from the bombs exploding outside the lobby windows. Harry rehearses with her the secret code Irene watched him use with his "mind-reader" partner in Omaha. As the bombing stops and the Alpine valley turns serene once more, Irene excitedly describes their future act together while Harry begins to play the damaged piano. The film's ending does not go as far as the original in sounding the knell of destruction, it takes a lighter and more romantic course in dealing with the menaces of bombings.[4]

International[edit]

In the ending intended for international audiences, Harry plays the piano as together they sing a hymn ("Abide with Me") from Harry's youth in hopes of distracting their minds from the bombs exploding outside the hotel windows. They embrace after the Alpine valley turns serene once more. The studio's marketing goal with the more solemn bombing sequence failed. After the trouble to which the producers went to make this palatable for the totalitarian states, it seems all the more futile that it was banned in those nations despite the hazy geographical location and the scrupulous use of Esperanto.[5]

***

Curious how you were able to see the "crap ending"  (called the domestic ending)  in a theater.      Revival theater?    (or if you saw the film in a theater back in 1939 ]\1940, bravo to you!).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 1/7/2021 at 7:26 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

This is from Wiki:

The print that has aired on TCM since 1999[3] shows the international ending and briefly displays The End followed by a title card that reads: “You have just seen the original ‘International’ 1939 ending of MGM’s ‘Idiots (sic) Delight’ which is spiritual and optimistic in tone. We now present the original ‘domestic’ theatrical ending that seems to ignore the fact that the rest of the world is at war.” However, the second ending does include Irene’s line, “The whole world has gone to war!” Dramatic music plays while this card is displayed.

 

Domestic[edit]

The ending shown to the domestic (U.S., Canadian) audience replaced the hymn from the play with Harry and Irene talking about their plans for the future in hopes of diverting their minds from the bombs exploding outside the lobby windows. Harry rehearses with her the secret code Irene watched him use with his "mind-reader" partner in Omaha. As the bombing stops and the Alpine valley turns serene once more, Irene excitedly describes their future act together while Harry begins to play the damaged piano. The film's ending does not go as far as the original in sounding the knell of destruction, it takes a lighter and more romantic course in dealing with the menaces of bombings.[4]

International[edit]

In the ending intended for international audiences, Harry plays the piano as together they sing a hymn ("Abide with Me") from Harry's youth in hopes of distracting their minds from the bombs exploding outside the hotel windows. They embrace after the Alpine valley turns serene once more. The studio's marketing goal with the more solemn bombing sequence failed. After the trouble to which the producers went to make this palatable for the totalitarian states, it seems all the more futile that it was banned in those nations despite the hazy geographical location and the scrupulous use of Esperanto.[5]

***

Curious how you were able to see the "crap ending"  (called the domestic ending)  in a theater.      Revival theater?    (or if you saw the film in a theater back in 1939 ]\1940, bravo to you!).

 

 

Don't be a butt please.  I am new to watching TCM. Yea my dad watched it but I was to young to appreciate them.  So I wasn't correct in wording something, I'm sorry and maybe saying crap ending was wrong  I was just commenting on how I responded to each of the endings and wondered on how others reacted to them also.  The one ending was very touching for me where the other one was more detached,  If (hope) I  am saying this right.           I wish I could've watched it in a theater in 1939, maybe actually living in that time my feelings towards each ending may have differed greatly than watching it 80 years later.  

Thank you for real on posting what you did because now I know more on the reasons for the two endings.   

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I was wondering why our newbie here apparently thought that James was in any way ever being a "butt" at any point in his reply, and when all I saw in said reply was a simple, courteous and straightforward answer to his/her question???

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Actually, I was wondering why our newbie here thought that James was being a "butt" at any point in his reply, and when all I saw in said reply was a simple, courteous and straightforward answer to his question???

 

He also thanked him at the end.  It's an all-purpose type of reply - usually used for evaluation purposes, one which opens itself to the mindset of the reader and where they are at in life, without the poster having to make this judgement call and tell them where they should be at.  The reader naturally will take one part in jest and the other to heart.  Since the poster isn't telling the reader how to respond, this could really flip either way.  However I just don't see the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

He also thanked him at the end.  It's an all-purpose type of reply - usually used for evaluation purposes, one which opens itself to the mindset of the reader and where they are at in life, without the poster having to make this judgement call and tell them where they should be at.  The reader naturally will take one part in jest and the other to heart.  Since the poster isn't telling the reader how to respond, this could really flip either way.

Sorry MCOH, but I'm still unclear as to why our newbie here began their reply to James with the line "Don't be a butt please"?

Are you saying that it's an "all-purpose type of reply" which is now a commonplace prefacing expression used in order help faciliate understanding between two parties?

(...and kind'a like how it seems every freakin' millennial out there today AND every freakin' person you hear on NPR always starts out every freakin' one of their replies to another with the word "So"???)  ;)

LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Sorry MCOH, but I'm still unclear as to why our newbie here began their reply to James with the line "Don't be a butt please"?

Are you saying that it's an "all-purpose type of reply" which is now a commonplace prefacing expression used in order help faciliate understanding between two parties?

(...and kind'a like how it seems every freakin' millennial out there today AND every freakin' person you hear on NPR always starts out every freakin' one of their replies to another with the word "So"???)  ;)

LOL

Perhaps, I am still trying to figure it out too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Perhaps, I am still trying to figure it out too.

The only reason I can think of as to why our newbie here began their reply to James with that whole "butt" thing was because James offered up the idea at the end of his reply that the newbie might have been old enough to have watched this movie upon its initial release back in 1939, and so possibly took offense to the suggestion of being that old.

I'll bet that's what it was.

(...hopefully yeasandi will return to clarify)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

The only reason I can think of as to why our newbie here began their reply to James with that whole "butt" thing was because James offered up the idea at the end of his reply that the newbie might have been old enough to have watched this movie upon its initial release back in 1939, and so possibly took offense to the suggestion of being that old.

I'll bet that's what it was.

(...hopefully yeasandi will return to clarify)

 

I also assumed the newbie felt I was cracking wise about anyone having seen a 1939 film in a theater that wasn't a revival  theater (so say in the early 40s).    I was sincere when I said "bravo"  if that was the case;  bravo for still being around (since one would have to be in their late eighties \ early 90s even if they saw the film as a child). 

My dad that passed away last year at 90 would tell me stories of seeing initial releases of films.     His favorite memory was seeing Treasures of the  Sierra Madre when he was 19.      One of his favorite expressions for over 70 years was  "We don't need no stinking badges"! 

  

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I also assumed the newbie felt I was cracking wise about anyone having seen a 1939 film in a theater that wasn't a revival  theater (so say in the early 40s).    I was sincere when I said "bravo"  if that was the case;  bravo for still being around (since one would have to be in their late eighties \ early 90s even if they saw the film as a child). 

My dad that passed away last year at 90 would tell me stories of seeing initial releases of films.     His favorite memory was seeing Treasures of the  Sierra Madre when he was 19.      One of his favorite expressions for over 70 years was  "We don't need no stinking badges"! 

  

 

The story of your dad's favorite expression here James, reminds me of my dad's frequent use of the word "Swordfish" whenever the topic of a password would come around. Like say if I arrived home and the front door was locked and he'd be inside the house, I'd ring the doorbell and Pop would call out, "What's the password?"

For years as a kid I had no idea why he had chosen that particular word for such a thing, but then one day when I was about 15 and while watching the Marx Bros' Horse Feathers on TV, it all became apparent to me.

(...seems Pop had been as big a Marx Bros fan as his son would turn out to be)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

To ALL that had such a hard understanding of WHY I first commented please don't be a butt, maybe I am not as smart as the rest of ya'll, but yes me being a newbie what he/she said (sorry for labeling one for another cause who knows) in one aspect I was very appreciative of the information they posted, very appreciative. But also it hurt kinda like a jab at my inexperience/lack of knowledge.  Am I not supposed to have feelings on the forum?????? I guess the ones who do not understand have never known what it is like be not be as knowledgeable and have always known what is what.  Have you never posted something that was all about feeling and nothing about knowing and someone who as I said did give me a lot of information I did not know but also in a way hurt by the last snide remark, which is why I asked politely not to be a butt because anyone knows I would have to be at least in my nineties or hundreds of age to have been able to see it in theaters .  But we are allowed to have our own thoughts and feelings right???? Without supposed judgement from others??? If not then I am not in the America i thought I was in.  Freedom of speech, religion etc etc. (Apologize for any future remarks for that statement)               And what is this Flame War?????  I'm sorry but I have not scanned through past or older posts.  

 

I thought this was a forum for the new and old lovers of classic film not alot of rudeness because one is not as smart as the rest. Or because one actually has feelings that get hurt because of their inexperience and knowledge of such things.    I LOVE classic movies and I will continue to post how I FEEL about ones when I decide to post regardless of your sticks and stones.  So throw away.  I am sorry I am not a smart Arizonian but just a dumb Arkansan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 11:45 AM, Dargo said:

The only reason I can think of as to why our newbie here began their reply to James with that whole "butt" thing was because James offered up the idea at the end of his reply that the newbie might have been old enough to have watched this movie upon its initial release back in 1939, and so possibly took offense to the suggestion of being that old.

I'll bet that's what it was.

(...hopefully yeasandi will return to clarify)

 

You are exactly right but not in the thought it offended me to being that old for I wish I could have watched it at that time in theaters to fully appreciate the two endings.  I just know how I felt in this time to the two different endings.  But yes it felt like a jab at my inexperience/knowledge of such things 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 1:56 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I also assumed the newbie felt I was cracking wise about anyone having seen a 1939 film in a theater that wasn't a revival  theater (so say in the early 40s).    I was sincere when I said "bravo"  if that was the case;  bravo for still being around (since one would have to be in their late eighties \ early 90s even if they saw the film as a child). 

My dad that passed away last year at 90 would tell me stories of seeing initial releases of films.     His favorite memory was seeing Treasures of the  Sierra Madre when he was 19.      One of his favorite expressions for over 70 years was  "We don't need no stinking badges"! 

  

 

I am so sorry for replying not to be a butt but it kinda hurt ya know,  Also my husband ALWAYS says that "We don't need no stinking badges"  

 

Maybe I posted in haste but it did hurt that  last remark.  And I tried to post  it in a nice way i thought.  It makes me so happy that YOU understood why I replied that, Thank you.  

 

You are so knowledgeable on these movies and I just post how I FEEL so please I will welcome any reply from you to any post I do and promise not to call you a butt anymore lol. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 10:22 AM, Dargo said:

Actually, I was wondering why our newbie here apparently thought that James was in any way ever being a "butt" at any point in his reply, and when all I saw in said reply was a simple, courteous and straightforward answer to his/her question???

 

Is that a gun in your mouth???? Because even us dumb Arkansans KNOW not to stick a gun in their mouths. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yeasandi said:

Is that a gun in your mouth???? Because even us dumb Arkansans KNOW not to stick a gun in their mouths. 

Yep, yeasandi. As Tex just explained up there, that is indeed a gun that the one and only Groucho is holding between his teeth and just below his famous mustache.

And one made of licorice, I might add. And with that being a salient point.

(...btw, I have to say I've never noticed Arkansans being any more "dumb" than those from other parts of this country...well, except for maybe those from California...like me)  ;)  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...