Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maybe someone here knows the answer--I've seen The Bad Seed (the '50's Patty McCormack version) more than once, but each time I viewed it, it seemed like the endings were different. In one, little Rhoda keeps lying to everybody and you get the feeling she will go off into the sunset with her oblivious dad, and I think mom died? But another time I saw it and Rhoda runs off in the last scene to re-visit the pier where her classmate drowned and a giant lightning bolt streaks out of the sky right on top of Rhoda! Did I make all this up? So confused....

15 minutes ago, Twokeets said:

Maybe someone here knows the answer--I've seen The Bad Seed (the '50's Patty McCormack version) more than once, but each time I viewed it, it seemed like the endings were different. In one, little Rhoda keeps lying to everybody and you get the feeling she will go off into the sunset with her oblivious dad, and I think mom died? But another time I saw it and Rhoda runs off in the last scene to re-visit the pier where her classmate drowned and a giant lightning bolt streaks out of the sky right on top of Rhoda! Did I make all this up? So confused....

The original Broadway play ending had little Rhonda surviving and her mother dying. 

According to IMDb (which is crowd-sourced, so it may not always be accurate), three different endings were shot for the film.   I don't know how they'd ever get the Broadway ending passed by the Production Code, since Rhonda would seem to escape punishment for being naughty.   I've only seen the version with justice dispensed from the sky above, but maybe there are other versions lurking out there?

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

The original Broadway play ending had little Rhonda surviving and her mother dying. 

According to IMDb (which is crowd-sourced, so it may not always be accurate), three different endings were shot for the film.   I don't know how they'd ever get the Broadway ending passed by the Production Code, since Rhonda would seem to escape punishment for being naughty.   I've only seen the version with justice dispensed from the sky above, but maybe there are other versions lurking out there?

In the 1985 remake the mother dies and the daughter lives (like in the play).

I guess the OP saw both versions since the 1956 one didn't have two different endings (as far as I can find).

As for the Production code in 1956:    I would have preferred that the mother dies,  Rhoda lives,  but is sent to a mental institution.    Such an ending would have left an opening for a sequel,  which could have been released at any time,  with another actress playing a more grown-up Rhoda that the doctors believe is cured.    The Sprouted Seed?

15 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

the only ending I've ever seen is when she gets fried by the lightning bolt.

:)

Her grandmother, Bessie Denker was fried by electric chair.

The producers saved people from seeing Patty smoking till well done in one.

d8gdh-93dd39da-1dbf-4b15-a466-da5955917d

• Sad 1

It's interesting how so many people don't know that the original Broadway show had a different ending.  I once  saw a local production of the stage version which kept the original ending and the audience, who obviously were only use to the movie, was visibly upset at how the show ended. Some even wrote angry letters to the newspaper chastising the theater group for daring to "change" the ending.

• Thanks 1
On 1/9/2021 at 4:08 PM, txfilmfan said:

..."for being naughty"  ?  is that what deliberately killing people is called ?   Ok, I'm guessing you were being tongue-in-cheek with that phrase, sorry if I'm being too literal.  But honestly, this kid really was evil, hence the title of the film.  "Naughty" is when a kid raids the cookie jar behind their mother's back.  Slight difference.

3 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

..."for being naughty"  ?  is that what deliberately killing people is called ?   Ok, I'm guessing you were being tongue-in-cheek with that phrase, sorry if I'm being too literal.  But honestly, this kid really was evil, hence the title of the film.  "Naughty" is when a kid raids the cookie jar behind their mother's back.  Slight difference.

Yes, I was being tongue-in-cheek.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Yes, I was being tongue-in-cheek.

Sorry,  I always hate it when people take something I say ironically, or "tongue-in-cheek", or whatever you want to call it  (in this case, maybe sardonic understatement)  and go all poe-faced and reprimand me.  Guess I haven't had enough coffee yet today.

Also, full disclosure, and this is "just me"...I know The Bad Seed is a good film, and I've seen it a couple of times, but I just have a personal dislike of movies where innocent people get murdered by someone who's just having a hissy fit.  Of course, Rhoda  actually, eerily, is about a lot more than just throwing a hissy fit.

7 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

This is punishment for the in between naughty (murder and cookie jar.)

:P

• Haha 1