Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who should have won Best song?

16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Its ironic in a respect because the Oscars in the 80s turned down a lot of eligible songs that were top 40 hits.

Namely:
"Magic", "Xanadu",  "All over the World", "I'm Alive", and "Suddenly"/Xanadu (Olivia Newton-John or Electric Light Orchestra)
"I'm Alright"/Caddyshack (Kenny Loggins)
"Call Me"/American Gigolo (Blondie)
"It's My Turn"/It's My Turn (Diana Ross)
"Making Love"/Making Love (Roberta Flack)
"Cat People/Putting Out Fire"/Cat People (David Bowie)
"Heaven"/ A Night in Heaven (Bryan Adams)
"All Time High"/Octopussy (Rita Coolidge)
"The Heat is On"/Beverly Hills Cop (Glen Frey)
"When Doves Cry","Purple Rain", "Let's Go Crazy" /Purple Rain (Prince)
"We Don't Need Another Hero" & "One of the Living" /Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Tina Turner)
"A View to a Kill"/A View to a Kill (Duran Duran)
"Rhythm of the Night"/The Last Dragon (DeBarge)
"Crazy for You"/Vision Quest, "Into the Groove"/Desperately Seeking Susan, "Who's That Girl"/Who's That Girl  and "Live to Tell"/At Close Range (Madonna)
"Don't You Forget About Me"/The Breakfast Club (Simple Minds)
"Coming Around Again"/Heartburn (Carly Simon)
"If You Leave"/Pretty in Pink (OMD)
"Danger Zone"/Top Gun (Kenny Loggins)
"In Too Deep"/Mona Lisa (Genesis)
"Hungry Eyes"/ Dirty Dancing (Eric Carmen)
"Wild Wild Life"/True Stories (Talking Heads)
"Kokomo"/Cocktail (The Beach Boys)
"On Our Own"/Ghostbusters II (Bobby Brown)

They may have been "eligable"(as in appearing in movies) but the majority of those on the list( andIMHO) weren't good enough to be worthy of oscar nomination.  ;) Even the ones that might have been.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On 1/12/2021 at 9:55 AM, Swithin said:

I hate that song. I agree that "Come Saturday Morning" should have won, with "Jean" a close second.

UGH. I feel just the opposite. HATE Come Saturday Morning (not fond of the film either).

14 hours ago, kingrat said:

Instead of 1977's "You Light Up My Life," just about ANYTHING. Oh, what about "New York, New York" or "Staying Alive," eligible but not nominated?

Worst lyrics of an Oscar-winning song ever: strong contenders are 1978's "Last Dance"  and 1971's "Theme from Shaft."

"New York, New York" would have been a much better choice.

• Like 2

1957 was an interesting year, "All The Way" from The Joker Is Wild was the winner, a good song but I always preferred "Tammy" from Tammy And The Bachelor, Debbie Reynolds sings it beautifully when she performs it looking out the window in that one scene.

Other nominees that year:

title song from An Affair To Remember

title song from April Love

title song from Wild Is The Wind

This was also the year of Elvis Presley in Jailhouse Rock. There were many songs which were eligible, the one I liked the most was the poignant "Young And Beautiful".

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

1957 was an interesting year, "All The Way" from The Joker Is Wild was the winner, a good song but I always preferred "Tammy" from Tammy And The Bachelor, Debbie Reynolds sings it beautifully when she performs it looking out the window in that one scene.

Other nominees that year:

title song from An Affair To Remember

title song from April Love

title song from Wild Is The Wind

This was also the year of Elvis Presley in Jailhouse Rock. There were many songs which were eligible, the one I liked the most was the poignant "Young And Beautiful".

I particularly like the bridge section of "Tammy" ("When the night is warm, soft and warm. . .").

• Like 1

For 1937, I would prefer "That Old Feeling" or "They Can't Take That Away from Me" over "Sweet Leilani." Both have lasted well. I don't know "Remember Me" or "Whispers in the Dark," the other nominees. But what a wealth of songs not nominated:

"A Foggy Day," "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm," "September in the Rain"--just pick your favorite kind of weather. Also Cole Porter's "In the Still of the Night," "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off," "Nice Work If You Can Get It," "They All Laughed," "Too Marvelous for Words," "Hooray for Hollywood," "The Folks Who Live on the Hill." Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs gave us "Someday My Prince Will Come" and "Whistle While You Work."

On 1/14/2021 at 2:14 PM, kingrat said:

For 1937, I would prefer "That Old Feeling" or "They Can't Take That Away from Me" over "Sweet Leilani." Both have lasted well. I don't know "Remember Me" or "Whispers in the Dark," the other nominees. But what a wealth of songs not nominated:

"A Foggy Day," "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm," "September in the Rain"--just pick your favorite kind of weather. Also Cole Porter's "In the Still of the Night," "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off," "Nice Work If You Can Get It," "They All Laughed," "Too Marvelous for Words," "Hooray for Hollywood," "The Folks Who Live on the Hill." Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs gave us "Someday My Prince Will Come" and "Whistle While You Work."

Wow,  all those fine songs from 1937.      Many are jazz standards,  still played fairly often by jazz musicians all over the world.    Since I can't play music with others I have learned a few of these in the last 6 months,  like A Foggy Day,  Nice Work if You Can Get It,  That Old Feeling and Too Marvelous for Words.         

• Like 1

In 1941, I always thought "Baby Mine" from Dumbo should have won, I thought it was the most poignant song to ever come out of Disney studios. The winner that year was "The Last Time I Saw Paris" from Lady Be Good, I was not familiar with it so I looked it up on Youtube, a nice song but I still go with the Disney classic.

These are the other nominees from that year:

1. "Be Honest With Me" from Ridin' On A Rainbow

2. Title song from Blues In The Night

3. "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy Of Company B" from Buck Privates

4. "Chattanooga Choo Choo" from Sun Valley Serenade

5. "Dolores" from Las Vegas Nights

6. "Out Of The Silence" from All American Co-ed

7. "Since I Kissed My Baby Goodbye" from "You'll Never Get Rich"

I already knew #s 2, 3 and 4. To be fair I looked up the rest on Youtube but none of them made much of an impression on me.

14 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

In 1941, I always thought "Baby Mine" from Dumbo should have won, I thought it was the most poignant song to ever come out of Disney studios. The winner that year was "The Last Time I Saw Paris" from Lady Be Good, I was not familiar with it so I looked it up on Youtube, a nice song but I still go with the Disney classic.

These are the other nominees from that year:

1. "Be Honest With Me" from Ridin' On A Rainbow

2. Title song from Blues In The Night

3. "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy Of Company B" from Buck Privates

4. "Chattanooga Choo Choo" from Sun Valley Serenade

5. "Dolores" from Las Vegas Nights

6. "Out Of The Silence" from All American Co-ed

7. "Since I Kissed My Baby Goodbye" from "You'll Never Get Rich"

I already knew #s 2, 3 and 4. To be fair I looked up the rest on Youtube but none of them made much of an impression on me.

"The Last Time I Saw Paris" is a classic, and in 1941 it had the resonance of France having fallen to the Nazis. It's a beautiful song and would have been my choice, although "Blues in the Night" is a great song, too.

• Like 2