Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 Golden Hollywood Scandals That Were Covered Up

On 1/11/2021 at 7:16 PM, Dargo said:

Say! This sounds like it would make for a pretty good movie! Like maybe about a "fixer" for the studios whose job it was was to make sure the public would never know about their stars' little "piccadilloes".

"But you know how these stars are, sir, they'll have their little eccentricities and scandals..."
"They have little peccadillos?"
(pause) "...THAT could be one reason."

- Benny Hill

7 William Randolph Hearst Tried To Shoot Charlie Chaplin (And Killed Someone Else Instead)

Each one of these scandals reads like a movie script, so no wonder they were so successful.

And, in the case of Peter Bogdanovich's The Cat's Meow (2001), became one.  I've still heard it debunked, though.

23 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

No disrespect of you intended, but when was this covered up? That Playboy interview that pops up every few years has never been denied or discredited. And his war record, or lack thereof, has been common knowledge from the start.

No disrespect of you intended, I was simply answering another poster.

But if you're a fan of his,

ainsi soit-il.

I'm gonna say Raft, Crawford, and Hearst above are total nonsense.  As far as Errol Flynn goes "pervert" is a loaded word and what was supposedly "covered up" when he very publicly stood trial for statutory rape?

• Like 2

For a 1950s TV show FKB was fairly realistic, though that's a relative concept. I always got a kick

out of how Jim Anderson would come home and take off his suit jacket and put on a jacket with

patched sleeves. One cool hepcat. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Vautrin said:

For a 1950s TV show FKB was fairly realistic, though that's a relative concept. I always got a kick

out of how Jim Anderson would come home and take off his suit jacket and put on a jacket with

patched sleeves. One cool hepcat. 

If you ever listen to the radio version of FTB, you'll find that the kids were a lot more sarcastic, as a joke-a-minute driver.  When Young took the show to TV, he deliberately steered the show away from the practice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/12/2021 at 6:15 AM, UMO1982 said:

Most of these "scandals" are outright BS

The thread title is badly worded,  not covering them up would had created a scandal.

Some other actors lifestyle people were unaware of at the time they occurred.

Joan Crawford an alcoholic, child abuser only exposed later by Christina.  Joan thought she had the LAST WORD in her Last Will.

44420cf550de865ed97302f76457f507.jpg

Rock Hudson being  gay, only admitted it while dying of AIDS during the 1980's.

Humphrey Bogart unzipped his pants and expose himself to stop the cameras.

Source....

510KSlLujgL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hope her mom slugged him! :angry:

On 1/11/2021 at 7:29 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Incest is certainly taboo and certainly a scandal wherever it happens.

But, we're discussing CELEBRITIES here, and not MM's family!  ;)   And it's obviously not taboo in HIS neck of the "backwoods".

But as to John Wayne, racist he may have been, but that's certainly no kind of "scandal" worth the bother of covering up,  and his  not serving in WWII was not due to any "cowardice" but a lot to do with him being in his mid 30's by the time Pearl harbor was attacked.  AND his movie studio's efforts to maintain his 4-F status .

And what's with this attack on the lack of "realism" in "Father Knows Best" TV series?   I thought LEAVE IT TO BEAVER was the "go to" show in those kind of discussions.  But then too, you could also throw BACHELOR FATHER into that discussion.  ;) 

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

But, we're discussing CELEBRITIES here, and not MM's family!  ;)   And it's obviously not taboo in HIS neck of the "backwoods".

But as to John Wayne, racist he may have been, but that's certainly no kind of "scandal" worth the bother of covering up,  and his  not serving in WWII was not due to any "cowardice" but a lot to do with him being in his mid 30's by the time Pearl harbor was attacked.  AND his movie studio's efforts to maintain his 4-F status .

And what's with this attack on the lack of "realism" in "Father Knows Best" TV series?   I thought LEAVE IT TO BEAVER was the "go to" show in those kind of discussions.  But then too, you could also throw BACHELOR FATHER into that discussion.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Some feel Wayne's hawkish views post-war were some sort of over-compensation for his war years record. 

He was classified 3-A (family deferment) .   John Ford was 12 years older and served.  Jimmy Stewart served and was just a year younger.   Apparently he volunteered for the OSS (John Ford's assignment, and a precursor to today's CIA), and was accepted, but he never personally received the letter.  It is true Republic didn't want it's big star going anywhere.

There was a difference between Ford filming for propaganda purposes, and Wayne fighting on the front lines.   As for Stewart:

Stewart became the first major American movie star to enlist in the United States Army to fight in World War II.[110] His family had deep military roots: both of his grandfathers had fought in the Civil War,[111] and his father had served during both the Spanish–American War and World War I.[112] After first being rejected for low weight in November 1940, he successfully enlisted in February 1941.[113][N 1] As an experienced amateur pilot, he reported for induction as a private in the Air Corps on March 22, 1941.[115] Soon to be 33 years old, he was over the age limit for Aviation Cadet training—the normal path of commissioning for pilots, navigators and bombardiers—and therefore applied for an Air Corps commission as both a college graduate and a licensed commercial pilot.[116] Stewart received his commission as a second lieutenant on January 1, 1942.[117]

Sepiatone

27 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

There was a difference between Ford filming for propaganda purposes, and Wayne fighting on the front lines.   As for Stewart:

Stewart became the first major American movie star to enlist in the United States Army to fight in World War II.[110] His family had deep military roots: both of his grandfathers had fought in the Civil War,[111] and his father had served during both the Spanish–American War and World War I.[112] After first being rejected for low weight in November 1940, he successfully enlisted in February 1941.[113][N 1] As an experienced amateur pilot, he reported for induction as a private in the Air Corps on March 22, 1941.[115] Soon to be 33 years old, he was over the age limit for Aviation Cadet training—the normal path of commissioning for pilots, navigators and bombardiers—and therefore applied for an Air Corps commission as both a college graduate and a licensed commercial pilot.[116] Stewart received his commission as a second lieutenant on January 1, 1942.[117]

Sepiatone

I agree re: Ford vs Wayne, and never implied Wayne had to be sent to the front, but there's no reason why Wayne couldn't do the same as Ford, and he reportedly volunteered for Ford's unit.

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

and his  (Wayne) not serving in WWII was not due to any "cowardice" but a lot to do with him being in his mid 30's by the time Pearl harbor was attacked. 

It had to do with the Republic studio and Wayne being selfish.  Doing what was best for them and the bottom-line and for Wayne,   NOT,   his country.

The cowardice issue only comes in play because Wayne called out those that went to Canada to avoid the draft during the Vietnam war.

My view is those young men had a lot better reason NOT to go overseas than Wayne had for staying in Hollywood making movies.    

7 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

If you ever listen to the radio version of FTB, you'll find that the kids were a lot more sarcastic, as a joke-a-minute driver.  When Young took the show to TV, he deliberately steered the show away from the practice.

I've never heard the radio version, but I've read that it had more of a hard edge than the TV version.

The kids still get off some good shots in the latter, but they're on the lighter side. I think the parents

were also given a softer tone on the TV show. 

4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Some feel Wayne's hawkish views post-war were some sort of over-compensation for his war years record. 

He was classified 3-A (family deferment) .   John Ford was 12 years older and served.  Jimmy Stewart served and was just a year younger.   Apparently he volunteered for the OSS (John Ford's assignment, and a precursor to today's CIA), and was accepted, but he never personally received the letter.  It is true Republic didn't want it's big star going anywhere.

And MGM wanted Clark Gable and Jimmy Stewart to go?

They went because they wanted to.

Wayne's star was on the rise, after years of making "B" westerns, when America went to war and, it's my understanding, a huge reason he was reluctant to enlist was because he was afraid it would impact his career after the war was over. I can understand his making that decision.

The problem for me is how he over compensated afterward (undoubtedly due to guilt) by turning himself into a Super Patriot and, in particular, how he blasted American draft dodgers during the Vietnam War. Wayne's spectacular hypocrisy is stomach turning.

Well, none of us were there at the time, and all I can go by is how WIKI posted it}

America's entry into World War II resulted in a deluge of support for the war effort from all sectors of society, and Hollywood was no exception. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status (classified as 3-A – family deferment). Wayne repeatedly wrote to John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford's military unit.[36] Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him since he was their only A-list actor under contract. Herbert J. Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract,[37] and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment.[38]

U.S. National Archives records indicate that Wayne, in fact, did make an application[39] to serve in the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), precursor to the modern CIA, and had been accepted within the U.S. Army's allotted billet to the OSS. William J. Donovan, OSS Commander, wrote Wayne a letter informing him of his acceptance into the Field Photographic Unit, but the letter went to his estranged wife Josephine's home. She never told him about it. Wayne toured U.S. bases and hospitals in the South Pacific for three months in 1943 and 1944.[40] with the USO.[41][42][43] During this trip, he carried out a request from Donovan to assess whether General Douglas MacArthur, commander of the South West Pacific Area, or his staff were hindering the work of the OSS.[20]:88 Donovan later issued Wayne an OSS Certificate of Service to memorialize Wayne's contribution to the OSS mission.[

Doesn't seem like a reluctance to enlist to me.

Sepiatone

Now, it's not that I'm now coming to the defense of John Wayne here, as the idea of some damn verbose so-called "super-patriot" has always induced a BIG roll of the eyes in me, but yes, because by the time this country was thrust into WWII, the then 34 y/o Wayne had fathered 2 children and thus his draft classification of 3-A was indeed proper and warranted.

And I bring this up solely because the names of Clark Gable and Jimmy Stewart, two men who it could rightly be said did their patriotic duty during WWII, BUT who I'm sure would have BRISTLED at the thought of being called a "super-patriot",  were brought up earlier in this thread.

And, it's now my contention that this would be an unfair practice to compare these two and their circumstances with that of Wayne's, as both Gable and Stewart at this time were NOT "family men". Clark Gable as we know had been newly widowed with no children after his wife Carole Lombard had died in a plane crash, and Jimmy Stewart at this time was known as one of Hollywood's "most eligible bachelors".

(...bottom line here...while I can certainly understand the reasons for some to call Wayne "hypocritical" in this regard, I would never assume the man to have been a "coward" for how his life played out during this wartime era)

I recently read the story about the disappearance of little known dancer/actress Jean Spangler in 1949.

She had  a small role as a dancer in the Kirk Douglas movie YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN (1949).  She mysteriously disappeared and her body was never found. Her purse was found in L.A.'s Griffith Park several miles from where she had been last seen. In it there was a note addressed to a "Kirk" about going to see a doctor to solve a problem....presumably an unwanted pregnancy.

Rumors were that Douglas might have been the father. He denied it and told police he was in Palm Springs the night she disappeared. Police accepted the alibi.

Ms. Spangler was divorced and had some associations with unsavory characters. 

Nevertheless, the rumors involving Kirk Douglas persisted.

It remains a Hollywood unsolved murder/disappearance.