Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for the title of a movie

Looking for the title of an old black & white movie I saw years ago. Basically what I remember was that whenever the main character had a milestone birthday there was a celebration, but another character (the main character's children I believe) would upstage the event with news of their own.

I don't remember much else and I don't even know why I need to know what the name is, I just do; thanks in advance!  😃

On 1/11/2021 at 1:45 PM, amylyn2775 said:

Looking for the title of an old black & white movie I saw years ago. Basically what I remember was that whenever the main character had a milestone birthday there was a celebration, but another character (the main character's children I believe) would upstage the event with news of their own.

I don't remember much else and I don't even know why I need to know what the name is, I just do; thanks in advance!  😃

Kings Row (1942) does begin that way, sort of, with children's birthday parties. But they are the main characters as children, not the main characters' children.

On 1/11/2021 at 1:45 PM, amylyn2775 said:

I'm a little confused...is the main character male or female?  so...a mother, or father's, kids upstage their birthdays on more than one occasion?

47 minutes ago, shutoo said:

I'm a little confused...is the main character male or female?  so...a mother, or father's, kids upstage their birthdays on more than one occasion?

Has to be a man.    Most woman wish to ignore milestone birthdays   (so they can have the same one,,,,  5 years later). 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Most woman wish to ignore milestone birthdays   (so they can have the same one,,,,  5 years later). 

Ah, the male wit of the 1950s...quaint...😎

• Like 1
20 hours ago, shutoo said:

Ah, the male wit of the 1950s...quaint...😎

So true.    I was only trying to reflect the possible POV of the film since,  if it was B&W,   it likely was made in an era when such a view was common.

I should have also added that it is men that are generally complaining about not getting enough attention.    Women tend to grin-and-bear-it.   I can think of many movies where this is a  theme with Life with Farther (William Powell and Irene Dunne)  likely the most famous one.

21 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So true.    I was only trying to reflect the possible POV of the film since,  if it was B&W,   it likely was made in an era when such a view was comment.

I should have also added that it is men that are generally complaining about not getting enough attention.    Women tend to grin-and-bear-it.   I can think of many movies where this is a  theme with Life with Farther (William Powell and Irene Dunne)  is likely the most famous one.

Meet Me In St. Louis has a bit of this flavor too, with the father of the family not too happy that the kids are ruling the roost (a nod to emerging teenage trends at the time the film was made, I think). 

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Meet Me In St. Louis has a bit of this flavor too, with the father of the family not too happy that the kids are ruling the roost (a nod to emerging teenage trends at the time the film was made, I think). 

Correct.    When I read the description of the film in the OP,  Meet Me In St. Louis came to mind,  so I looked it up,  and while that is a theme there wasn't a birthday party.