Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

T.C.M has this message hows it's important to  exposes the racist past that reflect our bigotry of the past rather than  banning and censoring them and yet since 2000 they no longer intorudce any more films made during the third Reich and only occasionally repeat  the three individual title s ,Munchhausen, titanic and Olympia .Shouldn't we be confronting more than that too? Already Kino lorber has gotten the message in the past two years about this and has released on Blu-ray Parasalius  and in the future going to release the american debut of Louise Trencher the Kaizer of Kalifornia .Worst they will occasionally  show a film made in the communist Russian regime  and yet they are way to precautious   about that genre too  .If Time Warner truly wants to promote that message they need to explore classic films more equally that reflect intolerance e ,bigotry and dictatorship as a mean of confrontation the past .This would include more third Reich cinema,Communist regime cinema ,more of our own bad past too.When they don't do this they are promoting  that the movies are poison and can't make an audience.When t.c.m. occasionally show Birth of a nation it's no different  than if they were playing Viet Harlan's Jude **** .This seems to be the double standard here .

I'm sorry sir ,but , I'm just not  a fan of what t.c.m. decides for me .I'm a fan of what I want to see too. I'm super serious .What t.cm as taught me is not to depend on it so much .I'm not time Warner's definition of s serious classic film fan ,fan of popular classic only .

2 hours ago, 28Silent said:

I'm sorry sir ,but , I'm just not  a fan of what t.c.m. decides for me .I'm a fan of what I want to see too. I'm super serious .What t.cm as taught me is not to depend on it so much .I'm not time Warner's definition of s serious classic film fan ,fan of popular classic only .

I assume most people are like you in that they don't need to depend on TCM to be their teacher.    I.e. They realize it is an entertainment network where one can learn things about history,  intolerance, film history,   etc....     but that is NOT any part of TMC's "mission". 

If we agree on that,   why are you making comments like this:   "If Time Warner truly wants to promote that message,,,,,".

They don't,  they don't need to,  and that's all folks!

42 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume most people are like you in that they don't need to depend on TCM to be their teacher.    I.e. They realize it is an entertainment network where one can learn things about history,  intolerance, film history,   etc....     but that is NOT any part of TMC's "mission". 

If we agree on that,   why are you making comments like this:   "If Time Warner truly wants to promote that message,,,,,".

They don't,  they don't need to,  and that's all folks!

I think this may be a thinly veiled political thread. It seems as if the OP's objection is that TCM is being too liberal, too politically correct, and making the viewer feel uncomfortable if he or she happens to like something that abounds in stereotypes.

Plus the OP seems to be supporting cancel culture, to cancel out what TCM does by saying one does not need it or need to depend on it.

5 hours ago, 28Silent said:

T.C.M has this message hows it's important to  exposes the racist past that reflect our bigotry of the past rather than  banning and censoring them and yet since 2000 they no longer intorudce any more films made during the third Reich and only occasionally repeat  the three individual title s ,Munchhausen, titanic and Olympia .Shouldn't we be confronting more than that too? Already Kino lorber has gotten the message in the past two years about this and has released on Blu-ray Parasalius  and in the future going to release the american debut of Louise Trencher the Kaizer of Kalifornia .Worst they will occasionally  show a film made in the communist Russian regime  and yet they are way to precautious   about that genre too  .If Time Warner truly wants to promote that message they need to explore classic films more equally that reflect intolerance e ,bigotry and dictatorship as a mean of confrontation the past .This would include more third Reich cinema,Communist regime cinema ,more of our own bad past too.When they don't do this they are promoting  that the movies are poison and can't make an audience.When t.c.m. occasionally show Birth of a nation it's no different  than if they were playing Viet Harlan's Jude **** .This seems to be the double standard here .

I have the Nazi "Titanic" (1943), surprisingly not one bit offensive.  Matter of fact it's tamer than the American newspapers of 1912.  Joseph Goebbels whom endorsed it's production had it banned in Germany.

It was symbolic of it's Captain (Hitler) going down with the sinking ship (Germany)

(Got that from the documentary about the movie)

Titanic(1943).jpg

Was even a bit humorous in that pathetic excuse of an iceberg sank it.

Not joking that's it bottom right. :lol:  Did Herbert Selpin KNOW what an iceberg is?? :wacko:

titanic-nazi.png

(the lookouts would had needed the 200 inch Palomar telescope to see that!)

• Haha 1

Not sure what the OP's point is here, it seems to be some kind of attempt at whataboutism. Not sure if the OP is saying they should be airing nazi films or saying they shouldn't be airing racist classic Hollywood films because they don't air nazi films. Or it could be some kind of veiled "Jewish agenda in Hollywood" thread.

Regardless, there is little interest in Nazi propaganda films because outside of a couple rare exceptions like Triumph of the Will or Olympia they were mostly trash with no artistic value. Not the case with classic Hollywood films which were great movies even if they contained some negative depictions of black people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, TheGrandMaster said:

Not sure what the OP's point is here, it seems to be some kind of attempt at whataboutism. Not sure if the OP is saying they should be airing nazi films or saying they shouldn't be airing racist classic Hollywood films because they don't air nazi films. Or it could be some kind of veiled "Jewish agenda in Hollywood" thread.

Regardless, there is little interest in Nazi propaganda films because outside of a couple rare exceptions like Triumph of the Will or Olympia they were mostly trash with no artistic value. Not the case with classic Hollywood films which were great movies even if they contained some negative depictions of black people. 

May need to search the 1930's - 40's  German film vaults, there are films not propaganda oriented.

Will need to be subtitled.

Examples

"The Man Who Were Sherlock Holmes" (1937)

Dr Watson seems to be armed with a BB gun. :lol:

220px-Sherlockgerman.jpg

"Who's Kissing Madeleine?" (1939)

220px-Who's_Kissing_Madeleine%3F.jpg

"The Great Love" (1942)

220px-The_Great_Love_(1942_film).jpg

This would have been a better thread if it had just been titled "Nazi Cinema".  Overall Nazi cinema wasn't very good for the obvious reason that their best artists mostly left.  

I watched "Opfergang" just a couple of days ago, actually.  It kind of felt like Douglas Sirk somehow managed to sneak back into Germany and make one of his big dumb melodramas under an assumed name.  It was decent and that Kristina Soderbaum sure was good looking.

There's an interesting movie called "The Four Companions" from 1938 about four young ladies who start an advertising business.  Because it's a Nazi movie three of them wind up being happy housewives, although the one who doesn't is subtly coded as a lesbian.  The main reason it's interesting is that it stars a young Swedish ingenue named Ingrid Bergman, who was smart enough to go to Hollywood right after.

"Titanic" would have been OK if they hadn't stuck a German officer into the movie and made him the hero.  It was surreal to see the story of the Titanic played out in German.  Probably still better than the Barbara Stanwyck version.

I didn't find "Triumph of the Will" boring at all.  Fascinating, actually.  Riefenstahl was decades ahead of her time in understanding how to use film to move emotions.

The best Nazi film I've seen yet is "Munchausen".  It really is fun and if you can forget for a moment where and when it was made it's legitimately entertaining.

• Like 2

Thanks for your opinion ,but, since they did premiere some times back early Romy Schneider films,except her first, it's typical of t.c.m. to put a limitation on variety since it's control by a big corporation ,Time Warners ,that don't serve all film fans ,new and old , in general since  big corporations have had the licence since the late 70's not serve all classes of consumers  if they don't want to. Usually it's my side they avoid cause we want choices and variety. For them it means spending more ,especially with those copyright s. It means for the big business a slow down I'm  big profit ,combining immediate and long run. The corporate arts have gotten more selfish against the consumer and greedy against their employees. In Hollywood this is normal as Actress Shirley McCain has had to go to court three times to get the rest of her paycheck from greedy producers who lied to her. T. C. M. reflects this deregulations ,although Ben M. Alicia Malone , and Mr. Noir and Ms. Silent Sunday nights and the rest of the staff would defend this against critical classic film consumers , since the latter works for Time Warner and are fans of what business has got to offer than choices . This is the mainstream consumer. Although T. C. M. is a lot better than A. M. C. ,they have been downhill for years.

• Confused 1
3 hours ago, 28Silent said:

Thanks for your opinion ,but, since they did premiere some times back early Romy Schneider films,except her first, it's typical of t.c.m. to put a limitation on variety since it's control by a big corporation ,Time Warners ,that don't serve all film fans ,new and old , in general since  big corporations have had the licence since the late 70's not serve all classes of consumers  if they don't want to. Usually it's my side they avoid cause we want choices and variety. For them it means spending more ,especially with those copyright s. It means for the big business a slow down I'm  big profit ,combining immediate and long run. The corporate arts have gotten more selfish against the consumer and greedy against their employees. In Hollywood this is normal as Actress Shirley McCain has had to go to court three times to get the rest of her paycheck from greedy producers who lied to her. T. C. M. reflects this deregulations ,although Ben M. Alicia Malone , and Mr. Noir and Ms. Silent Sunday nights and the rest of the staff would defend this against critical classic film consumers , since the latter works for Time Warner and are fans of what business has got to offer than choices . This is the mainstream consumer. Although T. C. M. is a lot better than A. M. C. ,they have been downhill for years.

Well clearly TCM tries to cater to a fan base, as well as grow that fan base.     You have a different POV than the majority of that fan base (what you define as mainstream consumer).   

Hey,  I feel the same way as an amateur jazz musician and lover of that art form.   E.g. even the top US jazz radio station here in So Cal  has now watered down their product to appeal to the "mainstream consumer" of music (E.g. adding blues,  and easy-listening which isn't jazz in my book).     But with the Internet there are now  many options for both musical content as well as movies.     Can't you find one that is more in-line with your taste?

Complaining about TCM at the TCM forum isn't going to get you what you desire.     

• Like 1
21 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well clearly TCM tries to cater to a fan base, as well as grow that fan base.     You have a different POV than the majority of that fan base (what you define as mainstream consumer).   

Hey,  I feel the same way as an amateur jazz musician and lover of that art form.   E.g. even the top US jazz radio station here in So Cal  has now watered down their product to appeal to the "mainstream consumer" of music (E.g. adding blues,  and easy-listening which isn't jazz in my book).     But with the Internet there are now  many options for both musical content as well as movies.     Can't you find one that is more in-line with your taste?

Complaining about TCM at the TCM forum isn't going to get you what you desire.     

Sorry, but I too am a little confused about the OP's complaint here, James. And so, lets see if I'm readin' you right.

Are you sayin' that 28Silent here probably also doesn't like Kenny G's music???

(...hey, I SAID I was "confused" here, now didn't I)  ;)

LOL

• Haha 1
On 1/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, hamradio said:

Maybe TCM don't air films i.e. "Triumph of The Will" because they're boring as hell.

The triumph is not to fall asleep.

That's funny, but I actually own TRIUMPH OF THE WILL on VHS and DVD (never looked at the DVD).  I think it is a fascinating and often beautiful film and not boring.  I understand why it looks the way it does. 

On 1/11/2021 at 9:20 PM, TopBilled said:

Plus the OP seems to be supporting cancel culture, to cancel out what TCM does by saying one does not need it or need to depend on it.

I don't know if I read that TopBilled, it seems that the OP wants more diverse cinema of multiple historical and political contexts.  I can't claim to understand exactly what the OP is espousing. 

3 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I don't know if I read that TopBilled, it seems that the OP wants more diverse cinema of multiple historical and political contexts.  I can't claim to understand exactly what the OP is espousing. 

Re-read it. The OP wants non-politically correct films, which is what conservatives want. They want to cancel liberal culture.

The OP is a conservative.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Re-read it. The OP wants non-politically correct films, which is what conservatives want. They want to cancel liberal culture.

The OP is a conservative.

As someone stated above, "I need a translator"!  I've also read another post of the OP, so it's troubling. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Allhallowsday said:

As someone stated above, "I need a translator"!  I've also read another post of the OP, so it's troubling. 

Anyone who wants Nazi films on air is espousing racism, homophobia and the like.

No translation necessary.

Hey! I wonder if maybe a showing of The Producers here might help satisfy the OP's complaint???...

producers2.png

Okay sure, so maybe it's not actually a "Nazi" movie per se, but anytime you can catch the late great Dick Shawn in ANYTHING is always a big plus, wouldn't ya say?!

(...hey, it's just a suggestion here, that's all)  ;)

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Hey! I wonder if maybe a showing of The Producers here might help satisfy the OP's complaint???...

producers2.png

Okay sure, so maybe it's not actually a "Nazi" movie per se, but anytime you can catch the late great Dick Shawn in ANYTHING is always a big plus, wouldn't ya say?!

(...hey, it's just a suggestion here, that's all)  ;)

Especially if one is interested in Hitler's lighter side.

hqdefault.jpg

;)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Anyone who wants Nazi films on air is espousing racism, homophobia and the like.

No translation necessary.

In the initial post, that's not what I read, but I did not find that post particularly clear.  As I had written, I own a copy of Leni Riefenstahl's film for decades, only because I found it fascinating film-making.  As far as "nazi" cinema; I don't expect to be interested in any of that crap.  I've seen some of the propaganda films of course. 

I don't have a good copy of Triumph Of The Will, but for quite some time I've been chipping away at a sound version of Metropolis, complete with "borrowed" synth music, in lieu of any of my own, and lots of sound effects.  Would probably give Giorgio Moroder a splitting headache.  I'm approaching it from a different angle by going through it scene by scene backwards.  So I have most of the action scenes done.  I'm way behind schedule though.  No word in Triumph Of The Will.  😁

On 1/11/2021 at 5:17 PM, 28Silent said:

more third Reich cinema,Communist regime cinema ,more of our own bad past too.

This is where I saw a certain logical insight.  The OP says "our own bad past" so, I read the initial remarks as a person interested in all forbidden cinema...