Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know it’s been on Broadway.  But was there also a movie of Anything Goes and has it ever been here on TCM and does everybody remember the opening of Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom where Willy Scott?  Played by Cate Capshaw?  Steven Spielberg’s wife is singing the title song from it?

IMDb says...

There were two versions filmed - one in 1936 and another in 1956.  The 1956 version is so different from the original Broadway show that to call it the same is almost laughable. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027302/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048954/

Both starred Bing Crosby.  Both films had new songs written for them that weren't in the Broadway show.  Some of the lyrics to the Porter songs would have been too racy for either film.

According to https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm , the 1956 version was shown once on TCM in November 2011.  The 1936 film hasn't been shown.

The Broadway show itself has several versions.  The original premiered in 1934.  In the 1980s, the book was significantly reworked, and Porter songs from other shows were added and the song order was shuffled.   Most productions since the 80s have used the 1987 rewrite, as many of the jokes and some of the lyrics from the original have early 1930s cultural references and slang that are all but lost on most modern audiences.

• Like 1

It's hard to figure out what you're really focused on: Anything Goes  or the song itself as used in Temple of Doom? As txfilmfan mentioned, the 1956 version has been shown on TCM. I recorded it and was really looking forward to it because I'm a fan of widescreen musicals in general, since there's a relatively small number of them due to the fact that musicals were phasing out as widescreen processes were phasing in. There were some outstanding examples as directors, choreographers and cinematographers learned to use its potential, but Anything Goes wasn't one of them. I still have the recording but haven't watched it since, even though I'm a HUGE fan of both Donald O'Connor and Mitzi Gaynor. Kind of a mess.

1 hour ago, DougieB said:

It's hard to figure out what you're really focused on: Anything Goes  or the song itself as used in Temple of Doom? As txfilmfan mentioned, the 1956 version has been shown on TCM. I recorded it and was really looking forward to it because I'm a fan of widescreen musicals in general, since there's a relatively small number of them due to the fact that musicals were phasing out as widescreen processes were phasing in. There were some outstanding examples as directors, choreographers and cinematographers learned to use its potential, but Anything Goes wasn't one of them. I still have the recording but haven't watched it since, even though I'm a HUGE fan of both Donald O'Connor and Mitzi Gaynor. Kind of a mess.

Yea,  I don't understand the OP either.    All I know is that almost 70 years later this version of Anything Goes by Tal Farlow is a must-study item for anyone wishing to play jazz guitar.    I listen to it to inspire me and to keep-on,  but sometimes it also gives me the feeling of what-the-sam-am-I-doing,,,,  I'll never get to this level in 4 lifetimes!

• Like 1