Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Before TMC.. American Movie Classics during Black History Month would have some good Classics.. They would come on and they would be so relaxing and good.. One of the movies were St. Louis Blues with Nat King Cole.. The other movies were older like 1939..

During Black History month American Movie Classics would have a month where they would show good movies. One of them were St.Louis Blues with Nat King Cole. The other movies would be about Family and the movies were made from 1939 to 1959.  Is there anyway that I can find out any of the movies. I tried to contact AMC....

• Confused 1
6 hours ago, Wbetts said:

During Black History month American Movie Classics would have a month where they would show good movies. One of them were St.Louis Blues with Nat King Cole. The other movies would be about Family and the movies were made from 1939 to 1959.  Is there anyway that I can find out any of the movies. I tried to contact AMC....

Are you sure that such films like St. Louis Blues with Nat King Cole where shown during February (Black History month)?     I ask because February is TCM's Oscar month and typically the vast majority of the programing is Oscar related:  TCM only shows films that have an Oscar connection (e.g.  were nominated or won an Oscar).

Are you trying to find if another T.V. station features films with African-American themes during February?     If yes,  sorry I can't help you there,  especially if one is interested in Studio-Era films (1929 - 1968), since TCM is my only trusted option for films from this era. 

29 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are you sure that such films like St. Louis Blues with Nat King Cole where shown during February (Black History month)?     I ask because February is TCM's Oscar month and typically the vast majority of the programing is Oscar related:  TCM only shows films that have an Oscar connection (e.g.  were nominated or won an Oscar).

Are you trying to find if another T.V. station features films with African-American themes during February?     If yes,  sorry I can't help you there,  especially if one is interested in Studio-Era films (1929 - 1968), since TCM is my only trusted option for films from this era. 

I think OP was saying these films were on AMC back in the day, NOT TCM. AMC never had an Oscars Month. I do recall seeing St. Louis Blues on AMC and I wonder why it has disappeared from the face of the earth. It's a great old film. 

21 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I think OP was saying these films were on AMC back in the day, NOT TCM. AMC never had an Oscars Month. I do recall seeing St. Louis Blues on AMC and I wonder why it has disappeared from the face of the earth. It's a great old film. 

You're correct.   Man,  I read that twice and still saw "TCM"  when it clearly said AMC.    My only lame excuse is that this is the TCM forum.    I.e. why would someone ask about AMC at a TCM forum??????  

Anyhow,  TCM has also shown St. Louis Blues,   and while Nat King Cole is my #1, "if I was stuck on an island,  who would I want as the only musician \ singer, it would be Nat"),  I don't think the movie was very good,  or his acting.  

12 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You're correct.   Man,  I read that twice and still saw "TCM"  when it clearly said AMC.    My only lame excuse is that this is the TCM forum.    I.e. why would someone ask about AMC at a TCM forum??????  

Anyhow,  TCM has also shown St. Louis Blues,   and while Nat King Cole is my #1, "if I was stuck on an island,  who would I want as the only musician \ singer, it would be Nat"),  I don't think the movie was very good,  or his acting.  

I have a soft spot for it because it takes me back to my own upbringing in the deep South where God is a being who strikes you blind if you do something you are  not supposed to do even if there is really nothing wrong with what you are doing. I relate to the tale. 

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

If a tree falls at the AMC forum, is there anyone over there who will hear it?  Here there are at least about 25 people.  😁

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I think OP was saying these films were on AMC back in the day, NOT TCM.  ...

The original post is still confusing where it says "Before TMC..." . Not sure what channel he's talking about - maybe The Movie Channel? Unless he meant to type TCM but it came out TMC.

9 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

The original post is still confusing where it says "Before TMC..." . Not sure what channel he's talking about - maybe The Movie Channel? Unless he meant to type TCM but it came out TMC.

I often see people type "TMC" when I can determine by context that they mean "TCM".  I haven't watched TMC in years, but when I did, it was much like HBO/Showtime except with hosts. Robert Osborne was a host there for several years. 

I noticed that.  Perhaps dyslexia is  a more common problem than we realized.  Whatever...   When I saw it all I thought was that in my case, TMC came WAY before TCM.   But to the issue at hand....

It seems that TCM spreads out it's tribute to black film history with many small vignettes over the remainder of the year so as to not ruin their insessant and stale "31 Days Of Oscar" feature.  And seeing as how the Oscar thing has deteriorated into them showing movies, regardless of how obscure(and generally unheard of) that was nominated in at least one category that the majority of movie goers never cared about or paid any mind to I'd rather see the month filled with films that exemplify what African-American film history is all about.  

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

Since the pandemic delayed our Oscar month suffering, TCM is doing something for Black History Month this year. It will be on Wednesdays. TCM expanded their MLK Day programming, too. Some of the movies they showed on those days will still be on Watch TCM, if you didn't catch them live.

• Like 1