Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In criticism of tribute to fox


Recommended Posts

The other night 01/12/21, they had a tribute to fox studio.It was half baked cause they only played the movies they have played before. They could of have taken opportunity to introduce never before broadcast fox classic films  .There are many Janet Gaynor films that have not seen the light of day on cable t.v,they could have introduced.Daddy Long Legs,the man who came back ,servants entrance ,another spring ,Paddy the next best thing ,Tess of the storm country and so fourth.Other classic they could have introduce,the long restored Fox Movie Tone Follies of 1930-31, Happy days ,1929. The problem with corporate arts is that they don't believe in choices and variety .So they show the same familiarity for the instant audience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 28Silent said:

The other night 01/12/21, they had a tribute to fox studio.It was half baked cause they only played the movies they have played before. They could of have taken opportunity to introduce never before broadcast fox classic films  .There are many Janet Gaynor films that have not seen the light of day on cable t.v,they could have introduced.Daddy Long Legs,the man who came back ,servants entrance ,another spring ,Paddy the next best thing ,Tess of the storm country and so fourth.Other classic they could have introduce,the long restored Fox Movie Tone Follies of 1930-31, Happy days ,1929. The problem with corporate arts is that they don't believe in choices and variety .So they show the same familiarity for the instant audience.

Fox is now owned by Disney.   So blame the mouse.

Free download image Cute Mickey Mouse PC Android iPhone and iPad Wallpapers  [480x800] for your Desktop, Mobile & Tablet | Explore 48+ Cute Mickey Mouse  iPhone Wallpaper | Mickey Mouse Wallpaper Desktop,

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Fox is now owned by Disney.   So blame the mouse.

Moreover, TCM was probably burning off Fox movies that had been licensed before Disney acquired assimilated acquired the Fox catalogue. I'd love to see the titles you mention and other surviving pre-1935 Fox titles. But Disney appears to have put these films--at least for now?--in the vault alongside Song of the South.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 28Silent said:

It was half baked cause they only played the movies they have played before. They could of have taken opportunity to introduce never before broadcast fox classic films 

Another poster who does not understand broadcast "packaging" of films. Networks don't always have control of what they are licensed to broadcast by availability, cost & "bundled" packages offered by distributors.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Another poster who does not understand broadcast "packaging" of films. Networks don't always have control of what they are licensed to broadcast by availability, cost & "bundled" packages offered by distributors.

A lot of people think they just buy the DVD or Blu-Ray at Wal-Mart, pop it in a player and send it out over the airwaves or down the cable to their TV, not realizing how complicated lawyers and legislatures have made it.

One TCM lawyer talked for a few minutes before a showing of a film at the TCM Film Festival that their legal department had been working for several years to be able to get the rights, as it was tied up in probate hell.

Edit to clarify: The TCM lawyers had to work so long just to figure out exactly who had the rights, and then negotiate to get them.  The first part took a long time to unravel, as the rights had been neglected by various heirs through the years.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

A lot of people think they just buy the DVD or Blu-Ray at Wal-Mart, pop it in a player and send it out over the airwaves or down the cable to their TV, not realizing how complicated lawyers and legislatures have made it.

While performing some restoration work on a 1925 classic movie theater, I overheard the new owner saying exactly that, "I want to show a 3 Stooges short, then a WB Bugs Bunny cartoon then a classic feature film like TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, just like going to the movies used to be like. I have a huge collection of Blue Ray disks-it'll be GREAT!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TikiSoo said:

While performing some restoration work on a 1925 classic movie theater, I overheard the new owner saying exactly that, "I want to show a 3 Stooges short, then a WB Bugs Bunny cartoon then a classic feature film like TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, just like going to the movies used to be like. I have a huge collection of Blue Ray disks-it'll be GREAT!"

Obviously the owner didn't do his or her homework...

Neal Sabin (MeTV exec) was interviewed recently about their new cartoon show with WB, MGM and Popeye properties.  He's been working for many years trying to get the rights to show these cartoons.  It's not an easy process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

While performing some restoration work on a 1925 classic movie theater, I overheard the new owner saying exactly that, "I want to show a 3 Stooges short, then a WB Bugs Bunny cartoon then a classic feature film like TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, just like going to the movies used to be like. I have a huge collection of Blue Ray disks-it'll be GREAT!"

:D  Man!  The equipment used to project that medium onto a big screen must be FANTASTIC, and costly too!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Man!  The equipment used to project that medium onto a big screen must be FANTASTIC, and costly too! 

There is no comparison watching a WB cartoon on 35mm projected by a carbon arc light and digital projected Blu-Ray. I think most theaters have installed the costly DVD conversion only to have been replaced by "streaming" movies. I much prefer seeing a beautiful film print, even with flaws, it always looks more "real".

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me at least, the evening of Fox films had some merit, as I had not seen Down Argentine Way (1940) with Betty Grable (last shown on TCM in 2014), or Connecticut Yankee (1931) (last shown on TCM in 2010 per MCOH’s records).

One comment I would make on the material that Alicia Malone presented with 2 other guests discussing the studio system: In general I appreciate the contributors, but I would prefer to not hear the details of what a casting couch predator Darryl Zanuck was right before watching a film.  This is not something I can just shrug off and then immediately try to enjoy the movie.  I am not questioning the validity of what was said, just the timing.  If the material being presented is to the detriment of viewing the film, perhaps it should be kept as a completely separate segment.  (I know, TCM doesn’t really do that.)

And to clarify, I don't think this is a case of the comments providing ‘context’ for the film.  I don’t think the specific failures of the studio executives have much to do with the content of a 70 or 80-year old musical.

I really hope these comments don't kick off a firestorm against me.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

tcm has had years to show Hot Spell and they haven't.

Anthony Quinn, Shirley Booth and Shirley MacLaine fans would have a ball watching it.

but I doan expect anything from slackers but slackness.

:)

Hot Spell Movie Cast - Photograph Signed co-signed by Shirley Booth,  Shirley Maclaine at Amazon's Entertainment Collectibles Store

Hot Spell 1958 NTSC Region 0

"now don't you let me catch you tomcattin' around."

"now alma, you know me. I'm one of the good ones."

Hot Spell | Movies ala Mark

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

 

Hot Spell 1958 NTSC Region 0

 

Enough birthday candles on that cake? Looks like a forest fire.

7 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

And to clarify, I don't think this is a case of the comments providing ‘context’ for the film.  I don’t think the specific failures of the studio executives have much to do with the content of a 70 or 80-year old musical.

I agree. It just goes to show our society still considers this predatory behaviour as a typical topic for discussion. It's not unlike calling out long dead actors as "racist" in their private lives.  Not much we can do about it now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

For me at least, the evening of Fox films had some merit, as I had not seen Down Argentine Way (1940) with Betty Grable (last shown on TCM in 2014), or Connecticut Yankee (1931) (last shown on TCM in 2010 per MCOH’s records).

One comment I would make on the material that Alicia Malone presented with 2 other guests discussing the studio system: In general I appreciate the contributors, but I would prefer to not hear the details of what a casting couch predator Darryl Zanuck was right before watching a film.  This is not something I can just shrug off and then immediately try to enjoy the movie.  I am not questioning the validity of what was said, just the timing.  If the material being presented is to the detriment of viewing the film, perhaps it should be kept as a completely separate segment.  (I know, TCM doesn’t really do that.)

And to clarify, I don't think this is a case of the comments providing ‘context’ for the film.  I don’t think the specific failures of the studio executives have much to do with the content of a 70 or 80-year old musical.

I really hope these comments don't kick off a firestorm against me.

I see your point.    I could see someone wanting such non-movie related comments being "saved" for after the film,  if they are mentioned at all.

Such non-movie comments don't change how I view a film.   All I ask is that there are no spoilers.    

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

Any bets on whether Disney will pony up to clear the domestic rights to BULLDOG DRUMMOND STRIKES BACK?

The Cult of the Mouse is much like my Scottish relatives. Anything of value they bury in the backyard. That being said, "Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back" is pretty easy to find on youtube as are other older Fox films.  If  Disney can't cram it into DisneyPuss (no I did not misspell that!) they are really not interested in it.  That doesn't mean Disney wouldn't sue over copyright violation anyways, for the pure joy of pushing people around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

Any bets on whether Disney will pony up to clear the domestic rights to BULLDOG DRUMMOND STRIKES BACK?

Star Wars novelist says Disney won’t pay him royalties it owes him

“If we let this stand, it could set precedent to fundamentally alter the way copyright and contracts operate in the United States,” Kowal wrote. “All a publisher would have to do to break a contract would be to sell it to a sibling company.”

More likely they'd try to declare that the transfer of BDSB and other Fox properties to Disney nullified any outstanding rights issues. 😡

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

The Cult of the Mouse is much like my Scottish relatives. Anything of value they bury in the backyard. That being said, "Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back" is pretty easy to find on youtube as are other older Fox films.  If  Disney can't cram it into DisneyPuss (no I did not misspell that!) they are really not interested in it.  That doesn't mean Disney wouldn't sue over copyright violation anyways, for the pure joy of pushing people around. 

Or as I have heard, there are some who squirrel it away in the walls or in the floor joists, such that it is not discovered until future owners do some remodeling.

As for the D, it sounds as if there might be someone with anger management or control issues in their ranks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know several people who have worked for the Mouse Nazis who are stiffed, or more often short changed. A typical M.O. is for them is to demand changes on the finished product and then not pay for the cost incurred by said changes, sometimes amounting to thousands of dollars. Disney is a corporation and creates very little itself, almost everything artistic is "farmed" out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

 That being said, "Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back" is pretty easy to find on YouTube as are other older Fox films. 

The only problem with BULLDOG is that nearly every online version emanates from a VHS copy of a BBC Channel 4 telecast. I was able to track down the closest to the original copy but I'm surprised there has been no U.K. home video release. Unless even U.K. rights have been tied up since that Channel 4 presentation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I know several people who have worked for the Mouse Nazis who are stiffed, or more often short changed. A typical M.O. is for them is to demand changes on the finished product and then not pay for the cost incurred by said changes, sometimes amounting to thousands of dollars. Disney is a corporation and creates very little itself, almost everything artistic is "farmed" out.

Oh the irony. So The Mouse is all SJW when making a Star Wars film, but when it comes to paying out they are pure Donald "Stiff Em" Trump! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...