Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am not sure who this actress is?  The number on the lower right indicates the film might be WINGS (i saw it a long time ago, but do not remember this scene), or BAD MAN OF BRIMSTONE, or GREEN HELL (1940).  ideas?

srp0008.JPG

I don’t recognize the woman but I don’t think it’s from any of the movies you listed. I think it’s a silent film or a very early talking film. I know that’s not much help. The reason I don’t think it’s Wings is because the two leading ladies in that film were Clara Bow & Jobyna Ralston and it’s neither of those women. Bad Man of Brimstone is a western and this looks like a war film. I definitely don’t think it’s a film from the 1940’s.

Hello all:

I did a little more research, and I got an answer.........  Yes, it is from WINGS.  The actress is Margery Chapin, William Wellman's  wife  (at that moment).  Itis thescene in the french farmhouse where Richard Arlen crashes and then dies.  Good stuff, huh?

• Like 1

I purchased a huge collection of silent photographs from a private collector.  Nice stuff; i can identify (usually) the ones I do not know with the production codes.  However,  I have not seen this film in such a long time, I did not remember the scene.  The only film that had a war theme with that code (1017) was WINGS, but I knew the actress was not Clara Bow so I had to do a little more research.  

May I ask, which 'photo finder' apps do you use?  Thanks!

• Like 1

One called simply Image Search, and then the old standby google search, which I activate on my tablet by long pressing an image to activate pop up options. There are many available for free download. 

Hello Lucky Dan:

My apologies for asking again, however, I am not having good luck in searching finding any of the image search sites.  I looked for a site "imagesearch.com" with no results.i did a google search, but apparently I am not searching properly.  May I ask,   Can you perhaps be a little more specific for sites that might help identify these photos?   thanks!

9 hours ago, DickLindsay said:

Hello Lucky Dan:

My apologies for asking again, however, I am not having good luck in searching finding any of the image search sites.  I looked for a site "imagesearch.com" with no results.i did a google search, but apparently I am not searching properly.  May I ask,   Can you perhaps be a little more specific for sites that might help identify these photos?   thanks!

Not sites, but apps. I use an android tablet for my internet activities. The apps are available in the Google store. A smartphone can also be used, of course. If a photo is available online, the search apps will find the locations. 

I'm interested in how you decipher production code numbers. If you'd care to expound or refer me to a concise source. 

hi Dan:

I have a 'bible' type book that has almost all the production codes for every film as well as many publicity photos.  I sat down once and made a PDF of the book (hand-scanned about 600 pages) and now I can search for IDs and titles.  I can provide more info if you like.

Well, I downloaded GOOGLE LENS to my iphone and I got an immediate result;  I had a very nice portrait of LINA BASQUETTE.  I only knew that because she is identified on the back of the photograph.  It came right up!  Thanks again; message me privately if you'd like more info on the 'bible' id book.

• Like 1

Funny. I used the standard google search option, but NOT google lens. I assume the portrait of Lina that came up was not the Wings shot. 

Production code numbers for TV movies and recordings, like ISBNs (any coding system) seem like puzzles waiting to be solved to me.

You seem to have an archivist's patience and love for your subject. Congrats on your database and I'm happy I could help you find another tool to use for your photo identification needs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 3:10 PM, DickLindsay said:

I am not sure who this actress is?  The number on the lower right indicates the film might be WINGS (i saw it a long time ago, but do not remember this scene), or BAD MAN OF BRIMSTONE, or GREEN HELL (1940).  ideas?

Just seeing this, and could have confirmed it's from WINGS, so I'm glad you got it figured out. Just by the way the still number is printed I know it's a Paramount. That's one thing you'll notice as you get deeper into still identifying - that some studios had distinctive ways they printed their letter and number codes, and you sometimes can tell which studio it is just from the way the letters or numbers are printed.

By the way, what is the book you mentioned with the production codes for identifying stills? If it's the one by Ed & Susan Poole (2013 edition), I helped with that one, submitting thousands of numbers for him. I'm one of those credited in there for "tremendous help" with the project.  The book is highly recommended for anyone interested in researching and identifying still photos.

• 1 month later...

hi Musicalnovelty:

My apologies for this late response from your 1/29 post.  Yes, the book i use is the ED and SUSAN POOLE.  It is very very helpful.  While it is not 100% complete, it is an excellent tool and works for me about 95% of the time so thank you for your work with it.