Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stupid lines from movies.

A lot of stupid things are said in movies.  Some are great.  I don't know if it's that they are so stupid they are great, or if they are great because they are stupid, or despite they are stupid.  My favorite, and one of my favorite lines of any comes in The Big Combo (1955), a sadly overlooked film noir (which I don't make the mistake of underestimating), with Cornel Wilde, Jean Wallace, and Richard Conte.  Lt. Diamond (Wilde) comes home only to find the stripper he's used for sex and information has been mistakenly murdered in his place while waiting for him in his darkened apartment.  Diamond is duly remorseful:

She came to see me in her best shoes.  Sublime.  (Funny, that's the only stupid line I can think of.)

The movie has another good line, maybe quasi stupid.  It's said by Richard Conte, in one of his best roles as the gangster Mr. Brown:  First is first, second is nobody.

(In his defense, Joss Whedon claimed he had tried to write it as a sarcastic Buffy-style "Huh, that's what happens..." wisecrack.  Unaware that Storm in the Marvel comics never makes Buffy-style wisecracks, or any other kinds.)

The Tiki Family laughed out loud during THE BAD SEED '56 when someone was running around screaming outside & the Mother (I think) had her head on the table & listlessly punched it with her fist, repeating, "You're NOT HELPING, NOT HELPING"

The-Bad-Seed-1956-7.jpg

Sorry, can't recall the exact scene, it's been years since that viewing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

(In his defense, Joss Whedon claimed he had tried to write it as a sarcastic Buffy-style "Huh..." wisecrack.  Unaware that Storm in the Marvel comics never makes Buffy-style wisecracks, or any other kinds.)

Wow, that's stupid. 

Re: Love means (from Love Story), the movie was terrible and so was the book (unintentionally funny in places). My English teacher said that Yale wanted to disown Erich Segal after that.

As for funny but stupid lines, I like Robert Redford in Butch and Sundance claiming he can't swim and Newman responding that the jump from the precipice will probably kill them.

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

As for funny but stupid lines, I like Robert Redford in Butch and Sundance claiming he can't swim and Newman responding that the jump from the precipice will probably kill them.

That's not stupid at all.  That's brilliant screenwriting.

As for stupid lines, you could go with the whole screenplay of "The Conqueror".

The Conqueror?  Mighty armies cannot stop him.  But one touch of my lips... Yes, he captured me--but he cannot tame me.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Vidor said:

That's not stupid at all.  That's brilliant screenwriting.

As for stupid lines, you could go with the whole screenplay of "The Conqueror".

Magnificent. 

743db43353e00b792bd4af95e55145d1.jpg

We are protected by the enormity of your stupidity, for a time.

Well, at least, it's a line about stupidity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed," is exactly the same principle as "The same thing that happens to everything else" in X-Men as quoted above.  Lines that would have worked if they had been delivered with snark/sarcasm, but land with a thud when they're delivered straight.

Here's an example of a line which I thought was great but which a lot of people thought was dumb.  In "Vanilla Sky" Tom Cruise is asking Penelope Cruz--something, I guess, and she says "I will tell you in another life, when we are both cats."  Of course, Cruz being naked when she said it helped.

• Haha 1

"Star Wars Episode II - Attack of The Clones"

Anakin Skywalker.....I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

maxresdefault.jpg

What a strange planet, oceans with no beaches. :wacko:

• Like 1

"Casablanca" is one of the best scripts ever written but it has one line that just clangs.  During the Paris flashback Rick and Ilsa hear the German artillery and she says "Is that the sound of cannon fire...or my heart pounding?"  Or something like that anyway.  Just a dreadful line in a film that is filled with magnificent lines from beginning to end.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SansFin said:

I have never been able to firmly establish if this 'line' is brilliant or idiotic:

S5kTCTw.gif

Speedy (1928)

MAGNIFICENT Comedy ..

👍👍👍👍👌👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

One Of the Funniest Films Ever*.

+10/10

8 hours ago, Fedya said:

We are protected by the enormity of your stupidity, for a time.

Well, at least, it's a line about stupidity.

Well, in THAT case, I'd say it's sure hard to beat THIS one then...

OIP.sVUw2NhrneFZcCHULGOVRAAAAA?pid=Api&r"

"You see? You SEE?! Your stupid minds! STUPID! STUPID!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Well, in THAT case, I'd say it's sure hard to beat THIS one then...

OIP.sVUw2NhrneFZcCHULGOVRAAAAA?pid=Api&r"

"You see? You SEE?! Your stupid minds! STUPID! STUPID!"

Pure genius.

6 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Pure genius.

That's true! Ya know slayton, this guy came THIS close to taking over the world, ya know!

(...and, I've always wondered if Plan 10 just might've worked)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1