Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stupid lines from movies.

17 hours ago, Vidor said:

No, no,  no.  That is a *great* line.

SHAUN OF THE DEAD is full of these great lines. Great, stupid lines. So stupid they make milk come out my nose. 

RAISING ARIZONA and THE BIG LEBOWSKI  have so many great, stupid lines the whole movie is stupid. Stupid funny.

Why can't these comedies ever get academy awards. They are just so damn entertaining. They are artistic. They are well acted, edited, directed. Set designs. Costumes. Everything about them are award worthy.

I getcha.  Particularly in RAISING ARIZONA.  But those stupid lines were intended t be stupid lines.  And what's being searched for here are lines the writers didn't think were stupid(at the time) but after so many years it's clear just how stupid they really are.  Like the earlier mentioned "Love is never having to say  you're sorry".

At the time, most who loved the movie( Heh!) thought it was profound.  But I always wondered how many takes were needed to get it in due to my not being able to imagine anyone saying it with a straight face.  ;) 

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I getcha.  Particularly in RAISING ARIZONA.  But those stupid lines were intended t be stupid lines.  And what's being searched for here are lines the writers didn't think were stupid(at the time) but after so many years it's clear just how stupid they really are

I am looking for greatness in stupidity. But I will take all kinds of stupidity, even stupid stupidity. 

• Like 1
On 1/28/2021 at 5:41 PM, Vidor said:

A lot of people liked Kevin Costner's monologue from "Bull Durham" but I've always thought it was terrible.

I found the entire movie terrible- Costner can't act but who could with such awful dialogue?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

And, while it is not from a film, when Serena asks if she is being fired because she is a lesbian (quite contrived because there were no clue).

Ha.  There was no clue either.  ;)   But actually there were a few very subtle hints.  But----

It might help some here not familiar with the character of Serena Southerlyn, an assistant D.A.  on the long running series LAW & ORDER brilliantly played by actress Elisabeth Rohm if you mentioned that.    ;) 

Sepiatone

Sepia:   There were cases involving lesbians and other cases where she talked about having boyfriends or dates to the prom.  Actually, Serena was fired because she was too liberal for Arthur Branch (who, like Abby (Angie Harmon - probably in rea life also) had no problem with things like seeking the death penalty.  

Yeah, I seem though, to recall her firing was due to that(a bit) and her reckless act of almost blowing a case due to her telling a suspect holding a knife to a woman's throat that she was a lawyer so he'd let the woman go, but never informed him she was with the DA's office.  Remember, she went before the disciplinary board because of it.  ;) But I might be mixing one episode with another.

I'm a fan of the show too, Chaya! ("bong-bong!")  :D 

Sepiatone

9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I found the entire movie terrible- Costner can't act but who could with such awful dialogue?

I found bull Durrham to be quite dull, and the script to be pat, but Susan Sarandon managed to be quite good in it in spite of it all. Otherwise, its the very definition of a lukewarm, throwaway film that is utterly forgettable.

I think that "Bull Durham" is the best baseball movie ever made and the rest of that movie is filled with great dialogue.  

Candlesticks make a great gift.

That one monologue however is pretty bad.

7 hours ago, Thenryb said:

"Every family has its ups and downs."  The Lion in WInter (a film I cannot bear to watch).

I assume you're not a fan of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf then.

32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume you're not a fan of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf then.

That assumption would be wrong. I see no connection between the two movies.

On 1/17/2021 at 1:37 AM, TomJH said:

Love means never having to say you're sorry.

Isn't that the most ridiculous comment ever. If I never apologized again to my wife, I would be an arrogant fool. I know it is only a line from a movie, but many in our society unfortunately get doctrine from movies, video games, etc.