• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Programming Challenge #44 -- "Battle of the B's"

On 2/10/2021 at 9:01 PM, SansFin said:

SansFin's Schedule for January 9th to January 15th, 2022

General Theme: A week of days.
All daytime themes are a nationally or internationally recognized 'Day.'

Russian Ark, Andrei Rublev, The Flowers of Saint Francis, Ozu, a three hour Russian movie I've never heard of before.  There's a lot to like here.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, skimpole said:

Russian Ark, Andrei Rublev, The Flowers of Saint Francis, Ozu, a three hour Russian movie I've never heard of before.  There's a lot to like here.

I thank you for your kind words. I generally try to avoid scheduling many foreign movies because they are not the classic Hollywood which is so much loved. I relaxed my rules a little because they are so appropriate here.

The Irony of Fate, or Enjoy Your Bath! (1975) was originally a two-part television movie which was liked so much that some theatres did arrange to show it. It was quite popular. 

• Like 2

Having never heard of the Durango Kid film series (westerns are not my thing) I was intrigued to learn a bit more about it after Lonesome Polecat featured it as his series in Challenge #44.  One actor played the Durango Kid in ALL of the films (and there were quite a few!) and he was a very interesting guy!  Read a bit more about Charles Starrett here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Starrett

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Overeasy’s Schedule   --  Challenge #44: “Battle of the B’s”

Week of September 25 – Oct. 1, 2022

SOTM:  Edmond O’Brien

TCM Spotlight:  Gas, Food & Lodging

Silent Sunday Night:  Pandora’s Box (1929)

TCM Imports:  The 400 Blows (1959) and The Magician (1958)

TCM Underground:  The Dark Background (1991) & Living in Oblivion (1995)

The Essential:  Baby Face (1933)

Noir Alley:  Pick-Up on South Street (1953) SUN. & The Reckless Moment (1949) SAT.

Challenge #1:  Warner Brothers B Movies

Challenge #2:  Best Movie Bad Guys (And They’re All Women)

Challenge #3:  Ben’s Picks

Challenge #4:  Film Series  --  Boston ****

Challenge #5:  1944 Guest Programmer  -- Bessie Clary of 1944’s “Laura”

Premieres:

Falkenau, The Impossible (1988)

The Intruder (1995)

Ambassador Bill (1931)

Ten North Frederick (1958)

You Came Along (1945)

Forest Gump (1994)

Morals (1921)

The Witching Hour (1921)

Crazy to Marry (1921)

At the Earth’s Core (1976)

Warlords of Atlantis (1978)

Humanoids from the Deep (1980)

Exempt Premieres:

Body Heat (1981)

Fatal Attraction (1987)

Out of Sight (1998)

Spotlight (2015)

The Dark Background (1991)

Living in Oblivion (1995)

Decades:

1910s:  2

1920s:  6

1930s:  22

1940s:  32

1950s:  18

1960s:  7

1970s:  5

1980s:  7

1990s:  7

2000s:  1

2010s:  1

I have been an infrequent poster and have never done a schedule before, but I took up Lydecker’s challenge this time.  The process was far harder than I imagined, but I’m already thinking about my next one!  I hope you enjoy it.

Sunday starts with a Sam Fuller, an iconoclastic hyphenate, who wrote, acted and directed. Strangely enough, as a 17-year old newspaper reporter, he broke the story of silent actress Jeanne Eagels’ death.  The afternoon is filled with Faulkner, as we celebrate his birthday. Like many great novelists, he abhorred most of what Hollywood stood for, but took the money anyway. Primetime gives as a double dose of the wonderful Bennett sisters. I’ve read that Connie didn’t think much of her acting and felt more or less like a mannequin for great couture, but I don’t buy it for a minute!  We round at the day with the spectacular Louise Brooks silent, Pandora’s Box.  If you think you can’t sit through a 109 minute silent, think again! And we end the day with two of my favorite imports, the touching, gritty and heartfelt New Wave masterpiece, The 400 Blows (the French title is an idiom meaning “to live a wild life”) and a little known Bergman gem, The Magician.

Monday begins on a decidedly lighter note as we dine and dance and sing and swing with four wonderful films full of Gershwin’s incomparable music. The afternoon turns decidedly chilly as we find ourselves shivering in several films that rely on cold weather and snow as major plot elements. Don’t miss James Arness as a menacing veggie from space!  I took the “B” Challenge as a paean to Warner Bros, the studio that had the machinery, the actors and the style to churn out some solid entertainment, even if it was on a B-budget!.  Look for Ronnie Reagan, Ann Sheridan, Barton MacLane in various roles, and, wait for it -- Hugh Herbert and Allen Jenkins in the epic -- “Sh, The Octopus.” That has to be one the best/worst B-movie titles ever! Set your DVR and keep these all for later binge watching!

Tuesday we welcome our Guest Programmer, “Bessie Clary” from 1944’s “Laura.”  Bessie has a real attitude, but she loves films that feature her fellow “domestics” and she’s not ashamed of it!  Hemmed in by Covid-19 restrictions, the idea of hitting the open road on a motorcycle has real, visceral appeal right about now, so we jump-start our bikes with The Wild One and don’t slow down until prime time!  The evening finds my second challenge, where B is for Bad Guys, only in this iteration, they are all women — and some very, very bad ones, indeed.  Who thought that sweet Nurse Mary Lamont could induce Bob Mitchum to jump out of a window!

Wednesday morning I salute one of the early movie series that I find sometimes breezy and funny and sometimes tense and exciting;  Boston ****, with Chester Morris. Morris always seems to be having fun in these and his infectious style makes up for most of the plot holes! I’ve always been interested in where our favorite stars come from, so I’m offering up an odd lot of films by Okies, including James Garner, Glenda Farrell, Van Heflin, Will Rogers, and perhaps most surprising (at least to me) Kay Francis. OK, let’s admit it, there ARE some movies that men can’t help but shed a tear over, despite their protestations to the contrary.  Here’s a few that leave some guys struggling to find a hankie, including Field of Dreams and the 1958 weeper, Ten North Frederick.

Thursday we dive into a noir birthday party (how weird is that?) with Lizabeth Scott. Too Late for Tears teams her with Dan Duryea and Dead Reckoning brings Lizabeth together with Bogie and Morris Carnovsky; a marvelous actor whose career was essentially ruined by the blacklist. Then we “celebrate” a couple of Oscar clunkers, which won best picture for reasons I can’t even imagine! My Star of the Month is Edmund O’Brien, who despite his generic looks and manner has a way of just jumping off the screen and seeming so REAL. Two films I feature were directed by Ida Lupino and are marvelous for their wide ranging socially relevant topics (serial killers and bigamists) and their understated power.

Friday finds us back in 1922, when Hollywood was consumed with 2 major scandals -- the murder of William Desmond Taylor and the trials of Fatty Arbuckle, who was accused of rape and murder. Fatty was innocent but his career was ruined by the publicity. To this day, despite a long list of potential suspects, the murder of William Desmond Taylor is unsolved.  But, before all of this happened, these two gentlemen were at the height of a couple of very successful careers.  For Challenge #3 I went with films that I think Ben just digs, at least according to an interview he did back in 2017, which includes both Spotlight and Casablanca.  Ben is nothing if not eclectic.  My primetime Friday night spotlight features some of my favorite classic roadside films, based on the title of artist John Baeder’s 1982 book, “Gas, Food and Lodging.” Fill up at the Diner or fill ‘er up at Aline MacMahon’s service station! My TCM underground films are both weird and wonderful.  The Dark Backward is as strange as they come and the film production-insider feature Living in Oblivion is truer than most people know!

Saturday starts on Bunker Hill in LA, a neighborhood that was once almost Studio-C, especially for crime and noir films.  If you wanted grit and interesting urban architecture, many directors and DPs headed up there instinctively.  Sadly, Bunker Hill was eventually leveled and “redeveloped,” so watching these films is one way to bring it back to life. Somehow Saturday afternoon seems like a good time for a handful of Doug McClure films (all but one directed by Kevin Connor) that feature Doug battling large scary creatures with great aplomb.  It’s just flat-out Saturday popcorn movie fun!  None of those movies are essential (clearly!) - but Baby Face absolutely is.  Barbara Stanwyck is at her very best in this raw and powerful 1933 pro-code classic.  From there on out, it’s all about other babies, though none nearly as mendacious as Barbara! 

• Like 2

TCM Programming Schedule Challenge #44

Week of September 25 – October 1, 2022

Sunday, September 25

A Salute to Samuel Fuller

6 AM Park Row (1952) Gene Evans & Mary Welch. Dir:  Samuel Fuller. Samuel Fuller Prod. UA, 82 min. p/s

7:30 AM I Shot Jesse James (1949) Preston Foster & Barbara Britton. Dir: Samuel Fuller. UNIV, 81 min. p/s

9 AM Falkenau, The Impossible (1988) Documentary. Dir:  Samuel Fuller/Emil Weiss.  Michklan World Productions, 52 min. Premiere #1

10 AM Pick-Up on South Street (1953) Richard Widmark & Jean Peters. Dir:  Samuel Fuller. FOX, 80 min. p/s NOIR ALLEY

12 PM Underworld U.S.A. (1961) Cliff Robertson & Dolores Dorn. Dir:  Samuel Fuller. COL, 98 min. p/s

Happy Birthday, William Faulkner

1:45 PM The Story of Temple Drake (1933) Miriam Hopkins & Jack LaRue. Dir:  Stephen Roberts, PAR, 71 min. p/s

3 PM The Reivers (1969) Steve McQueen & Sharon Farrell. Dir:  Mark Rydell. Cinema Center Films,   107 min. p/s

5 PM Intruder in the Dust (1949) David Brian & Claude Jarman, Jr. Dir:  Clarence Brown. MGM, 87 min. p/s

6:30 PM The Intruder (Kaki Bakar) (1995) Khalid Salleh & Bell Ngasri. Dir:  U-Wei Haji Saari. Satu Gitu, 70 min. Premiere #2

Double Bennett

8 PM Merrily We Go to Hell (1938) Constance Bennett & Brian Aherne. Dir:  Norman Z. McLeod. MGM, 95 min. p/s

9:45 PM The Woman in the Window (1944) Edward G. Robinson & Joan Bennett. Dir:  Fritz Lang. RKO, 99 min. p/s

11:30 PM Sally, Irene & Mary (1925) Constance Bennett & Joan Crawford. Dir:  Edmund Goulding. MGM, 58 min. p/s

Silent Sunday

12:30 AM Pandora’s Box (1929) Louise Brooks & Francis Lederer. Dir:  G.W. Pabst. Nero-Film A.G, 109 min. p/s

TCM Imports

2:45 AM The 400 Blows (1959) Jean-Pierre Leaud & Albert Remy. Dir:  Francois Truffaut. Les Films du Carrosse, 99 min. p/s

4:30 AM The Magician (1958) Max von Sydow & Ingrid Thulin. Dir:  Ingmar Bergman. AB Svensk Filmindustri, 107 min. p/s

Monday, September 26

Happy Birthday, George Gershwin

6:30 AM Shall We Dance (1937) Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers. Dir:  Mark Sandrich. RKO, 109 min. p/s

8:30 AM Lady Be Good (1941) Robert Young & Ann Sothern. Dir:  Norman Z. McLeod. MGM, 112 min. p/s

10:30 AM Manhattan (1979) Woody Allen & Diane Keaton. Dir:  Woody Allen. UA, 96 min. p/s

12:15 AM Funny Face (1957) Audrey Hepburn & Fred Astaire. Dir:  Stanley Donen. PAR, 103 min. p/s

The Weather Outside Is Frightful

2 PM Lost Horizon (1937) Ronald Coleman & Jane Wyatt. Dir: Frank Capra. COL, 132 min. p/s

4:15 PM The Thing from Another World (1951) Margaret Sheridan & Kenneth Tobey. Dir:  Christian Nyby. RKO, 97 min. p/s

6 PM The Mortal Storm (1940) Margaret Sullavan & James Stewart. Dir:  Frank Borzage. MGM, 100 min. p/s

7:45 PM Weather Wizards (1939) Dir:  Fred Zinnemann. MGM, 10 min. Short

Warner Brothers B Movies   --   Challenge #1

8 PM Girls on Probation (1938) Jane Bryan & Ronald Reagan. Dir:  William McGann. WB, 63 min. p/s

9:15 PM Tear Gas Squad (1940) Dennis Morgan & John Payne. Dir:  Terry Morse. WB, 55 min. p/s

10:15 PM Smashing the Money Ring (1939) Ronald Reagan & Margot Stevenson. Terry Morse. WB, 57 min. p/s

11:15 PM Money and the Woman (1940) Jeffrey Lynn & Brenda Marshall. Dir:  William K. Howard. WB, 67 min. p/s

12:30 AM Daredevil Drivers (1938) Beverly Roberts & Dick Purcell. Dir: B. Reeves Eason. WB, 59 min. p/s

1:30 AM Wine, Woman & Horses (1937) Barton MacLane & Ann Sheridan. Dir:  Louis King. WB, 64 min. p/s

2:45 AM Sh! The Octopus (1937) Hugh Herbert & Allen Jenkins. Dir:  William McGann. WB, 54 min. p/s

3:45 AM Crime School (1938) Humphrey Bogart & The Dead End Kids. Dir:  Lewis Seiler. WB, 85 min. p/s

5:15 AM Strange Alibi (1941) Arthur Kennedy & Joan Perry. Dir:  D. Ross Lederman. WB, 63 min. p/s

Tuesday, September 27

1944 Guest Programmer  --  “Bessie Clary” from  Laura  --- Challenge #5  

6:30 AM The Diary of a Chambermaid (1946) Paulette Goddard & Burgess Meredith. Dir:  Jean Renoir. Benedict Bogeaus Prod, 87 min. p/s

8 AM Imitation of Life (1934) Claudette Colbert & Louise Beavers. Dir:  John Stahl. UNIV, 111 min. p/s

10 AM My Man Godfrey (1936) William Powell & Carole Lombard. Dir:  Gregory LaCava. UNIV, 95 min. p/s

11:45 AM Personal Maid’s Secret (1935) Margaret Lindsay & Warren Hull. Dir:  Arthur Collins. WB, 58 min. p/s

Bikers

12:45 PM The Wild One (1953) Marlon Brando & Mary Murphy. Dir:  Laszlo Benedek. COL, 79 min. p/s

2:15 PM The Great Escape (1963) Steve McQueen & James Garner. Dir:  John Sturges. UA, 172 min. p/s

5:15 PM Easy Rider (1969) Peter Fonda & Dennis Hopper. Dir:  Dennis Hopper. COL, 96 min. p/s

7 PM Riding the Wind (1942) Tim Holt & Ray Whitley. Dir:  Edward Kiley. RKO, 60 min. p/s

Best of the Bad Guys (And They’re All Women)   --  Challenge #2

8 PM The Locket (1946) Laraine Day & Brian Aherne. Dir:  John Brahm. RKO, 85 min. p/s

9:30 PM Body Heat (1981) William Hurt & Kathleen Turner. Dir: Lawrence Kasdan. WB, 113 min. Bad Guys - Exempt

11:30 PM Fatal Attraction (1987) Glenn Close & Michael Douglas. Dir:  Adrian Lyne. PAR, 119 min. Bad Guys - Exempt

1:30 AM The Letter (1940) Bette Davis & Herbert Marshall. Dir: William Wyler. WB, 95 min. p/s

3:15 AM The Little Foxes (1941) Bette Davis & Herbert Marshall. Dir:  William Wyler. WB, 115 min. p/s

5:15 AM Double Indemnity (1944) Barbara Stanwyck & Fred MacMurray. Dir:  Bill Wilder. PAR, 107 min. p/s

Wednesday, September 28

Film Series We Love --  Boston ****  --  Challenge #4

7:15 AM Meet Boston **** (1941) Chester Morris & Rochelle Hudson. Dir:  Robert Florey. COL, 60 min. p/s

8:15 AM Confessions of Boston **** (1941) Chester Morris & Harriet Hilliard. Dir:  Edward Dmytryk. COL, 65 min. p/s

9:30 AM Alias Boston **** (1942) Chester Morris & Adele Mara. Dir:  Lew Landers. COL, 67 min. p/s

10:45 AM Boston **** Goes Hollywood (1942) Chester Morris & William Wright. Dir:  Michael Gordon. COL, 68 min. p/s

12 PM After Midnight with Boston **** (1943) Chester Morris & Richard Lane. Dir:  Lew Landers. COL, 65 min. p/s

Oklahoma Born

1:15 PM The Americanization of Emily (1964) James Garner & Julie Andrews. Dir:  Arthur Hiller. MGM, 115 min. p/s

3:15 PM Smart Blonde (1937) Glenda Farrell & Barton MacLane. Dir:  Frank MacDonald. WB, 59 min. p/s

4:15 PM Kid Glove Killer (1942) Van Heflin & Marsha Hunt. Dir:  Fred Zinnemann. MGM, 74 min. p/s

5:30 PM Mandalay (1934) Kay Francis & Ricardo Cortez. Dir:  Michael Curtiz. WB, 65 min. p/s

6:45 PM Ambassador Bill (1931) Will Rogers & Marguerite Churchill. Dir:  Sam Taylor. FOX, 70 min. Premiere #3

Movies That Make Men Cry

8 PM Field of Dreams (1989) Kevin Costner & James Earl Jones. Dir:  Phil Alden Robinson. Gordon Co, 107 min. p/s

10 PM Old Yeller (1957) Dorothy McGuire & Fess Parker. Dir:  Robert Stevenson. DISNEY, 83 min. p/s

11:30 PM Ten North Frederick (1958) Gary Cooper & Suzy Parker.  Dir:  Philip Dunne. FOX, 102 min. Premiere #4

1:15 AM The Incredible Journey (1963) Emile Genest & John Dranie. Dir:  Fletcher Markle. DISNEY, 80 min. p/s

2:45 AM The Shawshank Redemption (1994) Tim Robbins & Morgan Freeman. Dir:  Frank Darabont. Castle Rock, 142 min. p/s

5:15 AM Bogart, The Untold Story (1996) (Documentary) Dir:  Chris Hunt. Iambic Productions, 46 min. p/s

Thursday, September 29

Happy Birthday, Lizabeth Scott

6:15 AM You Came Along (1945) Robert Cummings & Lizabeth Scott. Dir:  John Farrow. PAR, 103 min. Premiere #5

8 AM Dead Reckoning (1947) Humphrey Bogart & Lizabeth Scott. Dir:  John Cromwell. COL, 101 min. p/s

9:45 AM I Walk Alone (1947) Burt Lancaster & Lizabeth Scott. Dir:  Byron Haskin. PAR, 97 min. p/s

11:30 AM Too Late for Tears (1949) Lizabeth Scott & Dan Duryea. Dir:  Byron Haskin. PAR, 100 min. p/s

1:15 AM The Company She Keeps (1951) Lizabeth Scott & Jane Greer. Dir:  John Cromwell. RKO, 82 min. p/s

A Couple of the Worst “Best Pictures” Ever

3 PM Forest Gump (1994) Tom Hanks & Robin Wright. Dir:  Robert Zemeckis. PAR, 142 min. Premiere #6

5:30 PM The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) Charlton Heston & Betty Hutton. Dir:  Cecil B. DeMille. PAR, 152 min. p/s

Star of the Month --  Edmond O’Brien (Thursday)

8 PM The Bigamist (1953) Edmond O’Brien & Joan Fontaine. Dir:  Ida Lupino. Filmmakers Releasing, 80 min. p/s

9:30 PM The Hitchhiker (1953) Edmond O’Brien & Frank Lovejoy. Dir:  Ida Lupino. RKO, 71 min. p/s

11 PM D.O.A. (1950) Edmond O’Brien & Pamela Britton. Dir:  Rudolph Mate. UA, 84 min. p/s

12:30 AM Seven Days in May (1964) Burt Lancaster & Kirk Douglas. Dir:  John Frankenheimer. PAR, 118 min. p/s

2:30 AM White Heat (1949) James Cagney & Virginia Mayo. Dir:  Raoul Walsh. WB, 114 min. p/s

4:30 AM The Killers (1946) Burt Lancaster & Ava Gardner. Robert Siodmak. UNIV, 103 min. p/s

Friday, September 30

100 Year Old Hollywood Scandals  --  The Murder of William Desmond Taylor & The Trial of Fatty Arbuckle

6:15 AM Morals (1921) May McAvoy & William Carleton. Dir:  William Desmond Taylor. RealArt Picture Corp., 50 min. Premiere #7

7:15 AM The Witching Hour (1921) Elliot Dexter & Winter Hall. Dir:  William Desmond Taylor. Famous Players-Lasky, 70 min. Premiere #8

8:30 AM Crazy to Marry (1921) Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle & Lila Lee. Dir:  James Cruze. PAR, 50 min. Premiere #9

9:30 AM Mabel & Fatty’s Married Life (1915) Mabel Normand & Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle. Dor:  Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle. Keystone Film, 14 min. p/s

9:45 AM Mabel & Fatty’s Wash Day (1915) Mabel Normand & Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle. Dir:  Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle. Keystone Film, 13 min. p/s

10 AM The Garage (1920) Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle & Buster Keaton. Dir:  Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle. Comique Films, 25 min. Short

Ben’s Picks --  Challenge #3

10:30 AM Man of the World (1931) William Powell & Carole Lombard. Dir:  Richard Wallace. PAR, 75 min. p/s

11:15 AM Out of Sight (1998) George Clooney & Jennifer Lopez. Dir:  Steven Sonderbergh. UNIV, 123 min. Bob/Ben Exempt

1:30 PM No Country for Old Men (2007) Tommy Lee Jones & Javier Bardern. Dir:  Joel & Ethan Coen. Scott Rudin Prod., 123 min. p/s

3:45 PM Spotlight (2015) Mark Ruffalo & Michael Keaton. Dir:  Tom McCarthy. Participant Media, 129 min. Bob/Ben Exempt

6:00 PM Casablanca (1942) Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid Bergman. Dir:  Michael Curtiz. WB, 102 min. p/s

Gas, Food & Lodging  --  Friday Night Spotlight

8 PM Diner (1982) Steve Guttenberg & Kevin Bacon. Dir:  Barry Levinson. MGM, 110 min. p/s

10 PM Out of the Past (1947) Robert Mitchum & Jane Greer. Dir:  RKO, 97 min. p/s

11:45 PM Niagara (1953) Marilyn Monroe & Joseph Cotton. Dir:  Henry Hathaway. FOX, 88 min. p/s

1:15 AM Heat Lightnin’ (1934) Aline MacMahon & Ann Dvorak. Dir:  Mervyn LeRoy. WB, 63 min. p/s

TCM Underground

2:30 AM The Dark Background (1991) Judd Nelson & Bill Paxton. Dir:  Adam Rifkin.  Greycat Films, 101 min. Exempt

4:15 AM Living in Oblivion (1995) Steve Buscemi & Catherine Keener.  Dir:  Tom DiCillo.  SONY, 90 min. Exempt

5:45 AM That Inferior Feeling (1940) Robert Benchley & William Bailey. Dir:  Basil Wrangell. MGM, 9 min. Short

Saturday, October 1

Shot on Bunker Hill

6 AM Cry Danger (1951) Dick Powell & Rhonda Fleming. Dir:  Robert Parrish. RKO, 79 min. p/s

7:30 AM Woman on the Run (1950) Ann Sheridan & Dennis O’Keefe. Dir: Norman Foster. UNIV, 77 min. p/s

9 AM M (1951) David Wayne & Howard Da Silva. Dir:  Joseph Losey. COL, 88 min. p/s

10:30 AM Criss Cross (1949) Burt Lancaster & Yvonne DeCarlo. Dir: Robert Siodmak. UNIV, 88 min. p/s

Doug McClure vs Large Scary Things

12 PM The Land That Time Forgot (1975) Doug McClure & John Enery. Dir:  Kevin Connor. British Lion Films, 91 min. p/s

1:45 PM At the Earth’s Core (1976) Doug McClure & Peter Cushing. Dir:  Kevin Connor. American International, 89 min. Premiere # 10

3:15 PM Warlords of Atlantis (1978) Doug McClure & Peter Gilmore. Dir:  Kevin Connor. EMI Films, 96 min. Premiere #11

5 PM The People That Time Forgot (1977) Doug McClure & Patrick Wayne. Dir:  Kevin Connor. American International, 90 min. p/s

6:30 PM Humanoids from the Deep (1980) Doug McClure & Ann Turkel. Dir:  Barbara Peeters. New World Pictures, 80 min. Premiere #12

Baby, Baby

8 PM Baby Face (1933) Barbara Stanwyck & George Brent. Dir:  Alfred E. Green. WB, 76 min. p/s (Essential)

9:30 AM Bringing Up Baby (1938) Katharine Hepburn & Cary Grant. Dir:  Howard Hawk. RKO, 102 min. p/s

11:15 AM Baby Face Harrington (1935) Charles Butterworth & Una Merkel. Dir:  Raoul Walsh. MGM, 62 min. p/s

12:30 AM The Reckless Moment (1949) James Mason & Joan Bennett. Dir:  Max Ophuls. COL, 82 min. p/s NOIR ALLEY

More Babies

2 AM Million Dollar Baby (1941) Priscilla Lane & Jeffrey Lynn. Dir:  Curtis Bernhardt. WB, 100 min. p/s

3:45 AM Baby Boom (1987) Diane Keaton & Sam Shepard. Dir:  Nancy Meyers. Meyers/Shyer Prod, 110 min. p/s

• Like 6

Just a quick note that TCM's message board anti-nasty word algo apparently is not letting the name of my series resolve to its real name, but I think you can figure it out.  Boston Blackee..... (and I'm not sure this will pass muster, either.

• Haha 1

Overeasy:  

Welcome to the Challenge! What a great first schedule.  Love your SOTM, Edmond O'Brien, 100 Year Old Hollywood Scandals, Boston B, HB Lizabeth Scott and Movies That Make Men Cry.  Warner Brothers B Movies are such a guilty pleasure (Really??  A studio actually made something called Shh, the Octopus???) and I am willing to bet this is the first schedule ever that saluted Doug McClure.  Super job and we are so glad to have a "new kid on the block."

• Like 2

OK.  I have to admit that I wasn't sure that among Overeasy's B movies there wasn't a "ringer"  --  a movie with an absurd title which was never even made.  Imagine my surprise, upon further investigation, that "Sh, The Octopus" is indeed, a "real" (I use the term loosely) film which even starred Allen Jenkins, an actor I normally love, but who must have done something to really, really **** off Jack Warner to have to co-star in this turkey.  I found a "critique" and a trailer on YouTube.  Enjoy and thanks to Overeasy for putting this undiscovered "gem" on our radar:

• Like 1
21 hours ago, overeasy said:

TCM Programming Schedule Challenge #44

Week of September 25 – October 1, 2022

This definitely an: 'A' schedule! Edmond O’Brien would be an excellent Star of the Month. I loved your: "Doug McClure vs Large Scary Things" theme!

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, lydecker said:

OK.  I have to admit that I wasn't sure that among Overeasy's B movies there wasn't a "ringer"  --  a movie with an absurd title which was never even made.  Imagine my surprise, upon further investigation, that "Sh, The Octopus" is indeed, a "real" (I use the term loosely) film which even starred Allen Jenkins, an actor I normally love, but who must have done something to really, really **** off Jack Warner to have to co-star in this turkey.  I found a "critique" and a trailer on YouTube.  Enjoy and thanks to Overeasy for putting this undiscovered "gem" on our radar:

The movie is somewhat famous -or infamous- because of the quite effective and quite startling transformation scene. Make-up of a special color was used to highlight certain aspects of the face to make it grotesque. The scene was then shot using a light of the same color so that the make-up could not be seen. Dimming of that light while brightening a light of contrasting color means a real-time, on-screen reveal of the 'transformation'.

• Thanks 2

10 days left!  We already have 3 great schedules and we need more!  By the way, we will be awarding TCM or classic film related prizes to all participants and the winner gets to choose his prize.  Some of the prizes include:  an 18 x 24 Noir City Film Festival Poster, John DiLeo's wonderful book of quizzes, "And You Thought You Knew Classic Movies," TCM Greatest Film Collections DVDs, a special "winter-centric" TCM Mug and a few other surprises.  Get those schedules in!!

s-l500.jpg.914b02182fbf3987ffa1c32a13372fed.jpg

I'm still goin'! I've got my SOTM picked and all my required TCM programming scheduled.  I have all my prime time themes planned.  Though I just remembered, "duh, I have to schedule the challenge requirements too, not just my random stuff." Lol! 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm still goin'! I've got my SOTM picked and all my required TCM programming scheduled.  I have all my prime time themes planned.  Though I just remembered, "duh, I have to schedule the challenge requirements too, not just my random stuff." Lol! 

Can't wait to see who your SOTM is.  We've had some very interesting ones in this challenge, so far.  

On 2/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, overeasy said:

Overeasy’s Schedule   --  Challenge #44: “Battle of the B’s”

Week of September 25 – Oct. 1, 2022

SOTM:  Edmond O’Brien

TCM Spotlight:  Gas, Food & Lodging

Silent Sunday Night:  Pandora’s Box (1929)

TCM Imports:  The 400 Blows (1959) and The Magician (1958)

TCM Underground:  The Dark Background (1991) & Living in Oblivion (1995)

The Essential:  Baby Face (1933)

Noir Alley:  Pick-Up on South Street (1953) SUN. & The Reckless Moment (1949) SAT.

Challenge #1:  Warner Brothers B Movies

Challenge #2:  Best Movie Bad Guys (And They’re All Women)

Challenge #3:  Ben’s Picks

Challenge #4:  Film Series  --  Boston ****

Challenge #5:  1944 Guest Programmer  -- Bessie Clary of 1944’s “Laura”

THis is a fantastic schedule, Overeasy! I love your SOTM, love the tributes esp. Sam Fuller, love Born in Oklahoma, your spotlight theme, Movies that Make Men Cry -- lots of great stuff. Love the idea of Worst Best Pictures. That would be such a funny flip for 31 Days of Oscar--to do a cynical look with movies that didn't deserve to win, etc.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

THis is a fantastic schedule, Overeasy! I love your SOTM, love the tributes esp. Sam Fuller, love Born in Oklahoma, your spotlight theme, Movies that Make Men Cry -- lots of great stuff. Love the idea of Worst Best Pictures. That would be such a funny flip for 31 Days of Oscar--to do a cynical look with movies that didn't deserve to win, etc.

I would kill for TCM to do the "Worst Academy Awards" . . . and, to show who might have been a more worthy winner.  What a wonderful twist on 31 Days.

• Like 1

SPEEDRACER5's SCHEDULE

Sunday, June 5

DAYTIME THEME: CHALLENGE #1: Lucille Ball, Queen of the B's at RKO

6:00am GO CHASE YOURSELF (1938) Lucille Ball, Joe Penner, Richard Lane. Dir. Edward F. Cline. RKO. 75 mins. (p/s).

7:15am THE AFFAIRS OF ANNABEL (1938) Lucille Ball, Jack Oakie, Ruth Donnelly. Dir. Ben Stoloff. RKO. 75 mins. (p/s).

8:30am NEXT TIME I MARRY (1938) Lucille Ball, James Ellison, Lee Bowman. Dir. Garson Kanin. RKO. 65 mins. (p/s).

9:45am BEAUTY FOR THE ASKING (1939) Lucille Ball, Patric Knowles, Donald Woods. Dir. Glenn Tryon. RKO. 68 mins. (p/s).

DAYTIME THEME: CHALLENGE #4 Gemini Twins: Double Trouble

11:00am THE PARENT TRAP (1961) Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara, Brian Keith. Dir. David Swift. Disney. 124 mins. (p/s).

1:15pm KISSIN' COUSINS (1964) Elvis Presley, Arthur O'Connell, Glenda Farrell. Dir. Gene Nelson. MGM. 96 mins. (p/s).

3:00pm THE DARK MIRROR (1946) Olivia de Havilland, Lew Ayres, Thomas Mitchell. Dir. Robert Siodmak. Universal. 85 mins. (p/s).

4:30pm TWICE BLESSED (1945) Preston Foster, Lee Wilde, Lyn Wilde. Dir. Harry Beaumont. MGM. 76 mins. (p/s). 

6:00pm TWINS (1988) Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny DeVito, Kelly Preston. Dir. Ivan Reitman. Universal. 112 mins. PREMIERE--2006 EXEMPT

PRIMETIME: Girls Trip!

8:00pm WHERE THE BOYS ARE (1960) Dolores Hart, Yvette Mimieux, Paula Prentiss. Dir. Henry Levin. MGM. 99 mins. (p/s)

9:45pm SHAG: THE MOVIE (1989) Phoebe Cates, Bridget Fonda, Annabeth Gish. Dir. Zelda Barron. Palace Pictures. 100 mins. (p/s).

11:30pm SUNKIST STARS AT PALM SPRINGS (1936) 19 mins. (p/s). 

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHT

12:00am GIRL SHY (1924) Harold Lloyd, Jobyna Ralston, Richard Daniels. Dir. Fred Newmeyer. Harold Lloyd Corp. 82 mins. (p/s).

1:30am HAUNTED SPOOKS (1920) Harold Lloyd, Mildred Davis, Wallace Howe. Dir. Alf Goulding. Hal Roach. 25 mins. (p/s). 

TCM IMPORT

2:00am MASCULINE FEMININE (1966) Brigitte Bardot, Jean-Pierre Leaud, Chantal Goya. Dir. Jean-Luc Gordard. Royal Films International. 103 mins. (p/s). 

3:45am CONTEMPT (1964) Brigitte Bardot, Jack Palance, Michel Piccoli. Dir. Jean-Luc Godard. Embassy Pictures. 103 mins. (p/s). 

5:30am SO YOU WANT TO GIVE UP SMOKING (1942) Short Film. 10 mins. (p/s).

5:45am SO YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR HAIR (1946) Short Film. 11 mins. (p/s).

Monday, June 6

DAYTIME THEME: CHALLENGE #2 BAD GUYS: A Tribute to Dan Duryea

6:00am BALL OF FIRE (1941) Barbara Stanwyck, Gary Cooper, Dan Duryea. Dir. Howard Hawks. RKO. 111 mins. (p/s).

8:00am SCARLET STREET (1945) Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, Dan Duryea. Dir. Fritz Lang. Universal. 103 mins. (p/s).

9:45am CRISS CROSS (1949) Burt Lancaster, Yvonne DeCarlo, Dan Duryea. Dir. Robert Siodmak. Universal. 88 mins. (p/s).

11:15am MINISTRY OF FEAR (1944) Ray Milland, Marjorie Reynolds, Carl Esmond. Dir. Fritz Lang. 84 mins. (p/s). 

DAYTIME THEME: Whirlwind WWII Romance

12:45pm THE CLOCK (1945) Judy Garland, Robert Walker, James Gleason. Dir. Vincente Minnelli. MGM. 90 mins. (p/s). 

2:15pm THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU (1944) Dennis Morgan, Eleanor Parker, Dane Clark. Dir. Delmer Daves. Warner Brothers. 99 mins. (p/s).

4:00pm THE SAILOR TAKES A WIFE (1945) Robert Walker, June Allyson, Hume Cronyn. Dir. Richard Wharf. MGM. 92 mins. (p/s). 

5:45pm ON THE TOWN (1949) Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Ann Miller. Dir. Gene Kelly. MGM. 98 mins. (p/s).

7:30pm MIGHTY MANHATTAN, NEW YORK'S WONDER CITY (1949) 20 mins. (p/s).

PRIMETIME: BFFs Carl Reiner & Mel Brooks

8:00pm EXCAVATING THE 2000 YEAR OLD MAN (2012) Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Bob Newhart. Dir. Matthew Buzzell. Shout! 44 mins. (p/s).

8:45pm THE PRODUCERS (1967) Zero Mostel, Gene Wilder, Dick Shawn. Dir. Mel Brooks. Embassy Pictures. 88 mins. (p/s).

10:15pm THE JERK (1979) Steve Martin, Bernadette Peters, Carl Reiner. Dir. Carl Reiner. Universal. 95 mins. PREMIERE #1

12:00am YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974) Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Madeline Kahn. Dir. Mel Brooks. Fox. 105 mins. (p/s).

1:45am DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID (1982) Steve Martin, Rachel Ward, Carl Reiner. Dir. Carl Reiner. Universal. 88 mins. (p/s).

3:15am ROBIN HOOD: MEN IN TIGHTS (1993) Cary Elwes, Amy Yasbeck, Patrick Stewart. Dir. Mel Brooks. Fox. 114 mins. PREMIERE #2

5:15am THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS (1983) Steve Martin, Kathleen Turner, David Warner. Dir. Carl Reiner. Fox. 90 mins. PREMIERE #3

Tuesday, June 7

DAYTIME THEME: HURRAY FOR HOLLYWOOD!

6:45am IT'S A GREAT FEELING (1949) Dennis Morgan, Doris Day, Jack Carson. Dir. David Butler. Warner Brothers. 85 mins. (p/s).

8:15am SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (1942) Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake, Robert Warwick. Dir. Preston Sturges. Paramount. 91 mins. (p/s).

10:00am JAILHOUSE ROCK (1957) Elvis Presley, Judy Tyler, Mickey Shaughnessy. Dir. Richard Thorpe. MGM. 96 mins. (p/s)

11:45am MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (1949) Terry Moore, Ben Johnson, Robert Armstrong. Dir. Ernest B. Schoedsack. RKO. 94 mins. (p/s).

1:30pm INSIDE DAISY CLOVER (1965) Natalie Wood, Christopher Plummer, Robert Redford. Dir. Robert Mulligan. Warner Brothers. 128 mins. (p/s).

3:45pm VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (1967) Barbara Parkins, Patty Duke, Sharon Tate. Dir. Mark Robson. Fox. 122 mins. (p/s).

6:00pm THE MUPPET MOVIE (1979) Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Animal. Dir. James Frawley. Associated Films. 97 mins. (p/s).

7:45pm LOS ANGELES "WONDER CITY OF THE WEST" (1935) 8 mins. (p/s). 

PRIMETIME: TCM SPOTLIGHT: European Vacations

8:00pm SUMMERTIME (1955) Katharine Hepburn, Rossano Brazzi, Isa Miranda. Dir. David Lean. 100 mins. (p/s)

9:45pm ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn, Eddie Albert. Dir. William Wyler. Paramount. 118 mins. (p/s).

11:45pm UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN (2003) Diane Lane, Sandra Oh, Lindsay Duncan. Dir. Audrey Wells. Walt Disney Studios. 113 mins. PREMIERE #4

1:45am GIDGET GOES TO ROME (1963) Cindy Carol, James Darren, Jessie Royce Landis. Dir. Paul Wendkos. Columbia. 103 mins. (p/s).

3:30am COME SEPTEMBER (1961) Rock Hudson, Gina Lollobrigida, Sandra Dee. Dir. Robert Mulligan. Universal. 112 mins. (p/s).

5:30am VISITING ITALY (1951) James A. Fitzpatrick. 7 mins. (p/s).

5:45am ROMANTIC RIVIERA (1951) James A. Fitzpatrick. 8 mins. (p/s). 

Wednesday, June 8

DAYTIME THEME: Be Still My Heart, Happy Birthday Moondoggie! 

6:00am GIDGET (1959) Sandra Dee, James Darren, Cliff Robertson. Dir. Paul Wendkos. Columbia. 95 mins. (p/s).

7:45am FOR THOSE WHO THINK YOUNG (1964) James Darren, Pamela Tiffin, Woody Woodbury. Dir. Leslie H. Martinson. United Artists. 96 mins. (p/s). 

9:30am THE LIVELY SET (1964) James Darren, Pamela Tiffin, Doug Mcclure. Dir. Jack Arnold. Universal. 95 mins. PREMIERE #5

11:15am GIDGET GOES HAWAIIAN (1961) James Darren, Michael Callan, Deborah Walley. Dir. Paul Wendkos. Columbia. 102 mins. 

DAYTIME THEME: "...So Kiss a Little Longer...Hold hands a little longer..."

1:00pm KISS ME KATE (1953) Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel, Ann Miller. Dir. George Sidney. MGM. 111 mins. (p/s).

3:00pm KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS (1948) Joan Fontaine, Burt Lancaster, Robert Newton. Dir. Norman Foster. Universal. 79 mins. PREMIERE #6

4:30pm KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE (1950) James Cagney, Barbara Payton, Helena Carter. Dir. Gordon Douglas. Warner Bros. 102 mins. (p/s).

6:15pm KISS OF DEATH (1947) Richard Widmark, Coleen Gray, Victor Mature. Fox. 101 mins. (p/s). 

PRIMETIME THEME: CHALLENGE#3 BEN MANKIEWICZ' PICKS

8:00pm CASABLANCA (1942) Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid. Dir. Michael Curtiz. Warner Brothers. 102 mins. (p/s).

9:45pm CITIZEN KANE (1941) Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Dorothy Comingore. Dir. Orson Welles. RKO. 119 mins. (p/s).

11:45pm ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN (1976) Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford, Jason Robards Jr., Dir. Alan J. Pakula. Warner Brothers. 138 mins. (p/s).

2:30am PATHS OF GLORY (1958) Kirk Douglas, Adolphe Menjou, Ralph Meeker. Dir. Stanley Kubrick. United Artists. 86 mins. (p/s). 

4:00am ACE IN THE HOLE (1951) Kirk Douglas, Jan Sterling, Bob Arthur. Dir. Billy Wilder. Paramount. 119 mins. (p/s)

Thursday, June 9

DAYTIME THEME: "Join Me, Perhaps You May Be Able to Help Solve a Mystery"

6:00am THE THIN MAN (1934) William Powell, Myrna Loy, Maureen O'Sullivan. Dir. W.S. Van Dyke. MGM. 80 mins. (p/s).

7:30am THE CANARY MURDER CASE (1929) William Powell, Louise Brooks, Jean Athur. Dir. Malcolm St. Clair. Paramount. 80 mins. PREMIERE #7

9:00am THE HOUND OF BASKERVILLES (1939) Basil Rathbone, Richard Greene, Nigel Bruce. Dir. Sidney Lanfield. Fox. 80 mins. (p/s).

10:30am NANCY DREW AND THE HIDDEN STAIRCASE (1939) Bonita Granville, Frankie Thomas, John Litel. Dir. William Clemens. Warner Brothers. 60 mins. (p/s).

11:30am FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK (1941) Errol Flynn, Brenda Marshall, Ralph Bellamy. Dir. Lloyd Bacon. Warner Brothers. 96 mins. (p/s).

1:15pm THE MALTESE FALCON (1941) Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre. Dir. John Huston. Warner Brothers. 100 mins. (p/s).

3:00pm MURDER MY SWEET (1944) Dick Powell, Claire Trevor, Anne Shirley. Dir. Edward Dmytryk. RKO. 95 mins. (p/s).

4:45pm LAURA (1944) Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb. Dir. Otto Preminger. Fox. 88 mins. (p/s).

6:15pm KISS ME DEADLY (1955) Ralph Meeker, Albert Dekker, Paul Stewart. Dir. Robert Aldrich. United Artists. 104 mins. (p/s).

PRIMETIME: STAR OF THE MONTH: ROBERT STACK

8:00pm WRITTEN ON THE WIND (1957) Rock Hudson, Lauren Bacall, Robert Stack. Dir. Douglas Sirk. Universal. 92 mins. (p/s).

9:45pm THE TARNISHED ANGELS (1958) Rock Hudson, Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone. Dir. Douglas Sirk. Universal. 91 mins. (p/s). 

11:30pm AIRPLANE! (1980) Robert Hays, Lloyd Bridges, Robert Stack. Dir. David Zucker. Paramount. 88 mins. (p/s). 

1:00am TO BE OR NOT TO BE (1942) Carole Lombard, Jack Benny, Robert Stack. Dir. Ernst Lubitsch. United Artists. 99 mins. (p/s). 

2:45am THE LAST VOYAGE (1960) Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone, George Sanders. Dir. Andrew L. Stone. MGM. 91 mins. (p/s). 

4:30am SABRE JET (1953) Robert Stack, Coleen Gray, Richard Arlen. Dir. Louis King. 90 mins. (p/s). 

Friday, June 10

DAYTIME THEME: Judy Garland's 100th Birthday

6:00am A STAR IS BORN (1954) Judy Garland, James Mason, Jack Carson. Dir. George Cukor. Warner Brothers. 154mins. (p/s)

8:45am ZIEGFELD GIRL (1941) James Stewart, Judy Garland, Lana Turner. Dir. Robert Z. Leonard. MGM. 131 mins. (p/s).

11:00AM FOR ME AND MY GAL (1942) Judy Garland, George Murphy, Gene Kelly. Dir. Busby Berkeley. MGM. 104 mins. (p/s).

12:45pm EASTER PARADE (1948) Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Peter Lawford. Dir. Charles Walters. MGM. 103 mins.

2:30pm STRIKE UP THE BAND (1940) Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, June Preisser. Dir. Busby Berkeley. MGM. 120 mins. (p/s). 

4:30pm BABES ON BROADWAY (1942) Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Fay Bainter. Dir. Busby Berkeley. MGM. 118 mins. (p/s).

6:30pm THOROUGHBREADS DON'T CRY (1937) Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Sophie Tucker. Dir. Alfred E. Green. 80 mins. (p/s).

PRIMETIME: Judy Garland 100th Birthday

8:00pm THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) Judy Garland, Frank Morgan, Ray Bolger. Dir. Victor Fleming. MGM. 101 mins. (p/s)

9:45pm MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944) Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien, Mary Astor. Dir. Vincente Minnelli. MGM. 113mins. (p/s)

11:45pm MATCH YOUR MOOD (1968) 7 mins. (p/s). 

UNDERGROUND: Space Babes

12:00am BARBARELLA (1968) Jane Fonda, John Phillip Law, Anita Pallenberg. Dir. Roger Vadim. Paramount. 98 mins. (p/s).

1:45am CAT-WOMEN OF THE MOON (1953) Sonny Tufts, Victor Jory, Marie Windsor. Dir. Arthur Hilton. Astor Pictures. 64 mins. PREMIERE--EXEMPT

3:00am QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE (1958) Zsa Zsa Gabor, Eric Fleming, Lisa Davis. Dir. Edward Bernds. Allied Artists. 80 mins. (p/s).

4:30am  FIRE MAIDENS OF OUTER SPACE (1956) Anthony Dexler, Susan Shaw, Paul Carpenter. Dir. Seymour Roth. Topaz Film. PREMIERE--EXEMPT

Saturday, June 11, 2022

DAYTIME THEME: Here Comes the Bride

6:00am JUNE BRIDE (1948) Bette Davis, Robert Montgomery, Fay Bainter. Dir. Bretaigne Windust. Warner Bros. 97 mins. (p/s). 

7:45am FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950) Spencer Tracy, Joan Bennett, Elizabeth Taylor. Dir. Vincente Minnelli. MGM. 93 mins. (p/s).

9:30am SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (1954) Howard Keel, Jane Powell, Russ Tamblyn. Dir. Stanley Donen. MGM. 103 mins. (p/s).

11:15am THE PRINCESS BRIDE (1987) Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Robin Wright. Dir. Rob Reiner. Fox. 100 mins. PREMIERE #8

DAYTIME THEME: Marriage Troubles

1:00pm TWO FOR THE ROAD (1967) Audrey Hepburn, Albert Finney, Eleanor Bron. Dir. Stanley Donen. Fox. 112 mins. (p/s).

3:00pm THE MARRYING KIND (1952) Judy Holliday, Aldo Ray, Madge Kennedy. Dir. George Cukor. Columbia. 93 mins. (p/s).

4:45pm WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (1966) Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, George Segal. Dir. Mike Nichols. Warner Brothers. 131 mins. (p/s).

7:00pm HOLLYWOOD MY HOMETOWN (1965) Ken Murray. 52 mins. (p/s). 

PRIMETIME: THE ESSENTIALS: Saturday Night Fever

8:00pm SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977) John Travolta, Karen Lynn Gorney, Barry Miller. Dir. John Badham. Paramount. 119 mins. (p/s).

10:00pm GREASE (1978) John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing. Dir. Randal Kleiser. Paramount. 110 mins. (p/s). 

NOIR ALLEY: Ann Savage

12:00am DETOUR (1945) Tom Neal, Ann Savage, Claudia Drake. Dir. Edgar G. Ulmer. PRC Pictures. 68 mins. (p/s)

1:45am MIDNIGHT MANHUNT (1945) William Gargan, Ann Savage, Leo Gorcey. Dir. William C. Thomas. Paramount. 64 mins. PREMIERE #9

3:00am RENEGADE GIRL (1946) Alan Curtis, Ann Savage, Edward Brophy. Dir. William Berke. Affiliated Productions. 65 mins. PREMIERE #10

4:15am PYGMY ISLAND (1950) Johnny Weissmuller, Ann Savage, David Bruce. Dir. William Berke. Columbia. 69 mins. (p/s). 

5:30am THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF TUPPERWARE (1959) 29 mins. (p/s). 

• Like 5

SPEEDRACER5'S NOTES!! 

June 5, 2022 through June 11, 2022

SOTM:  Robert Stack

TCM Spotlight:  European Vacations

Silent Sunday Night:  Harold Lloyd Double Feature | Girl Shy (1924) & Haunted Spooks (1920)

TCM Imports:  Brigitte Bardot Double Feature | Masculine Feminine (1966) & Contempt (1964)

TCM Underground:  Space Babes Quadruple Feature | Barbarella (1968), Cat-Women of the Moon (1953), Queen of Outer Space (1958) & Fire Maidens of Outer Space (1956)

The Essential: Saturday Night Fever (1977)

Noir Alley:  Detour (1945) 

Challenge #1:  Lucille Ball, Queen of the B's at RKO

Challenge #2:  Bad Guys: A Tribute to Dan Duryea

Challenge #3:  Ben Mankiewicz' Picks

Challenge #4: Back in the Day: Gemini Twins: Double Trouble

---

Premieres:

The Jerk (1979)

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)

The Man With Two Brains (1983)

Under the Tuscan Sun (2003)

The Lively Set (1964)

Kiss the Blood Off My Hands (1948)

The Canary Murder Case (1929)

The Princess Bride (1987)

Midnight Manhunt (1945)

Renegade Girl (1946)

Exempt Premieres:

Twins (1988)

Cat-Women of the Moon (1953)

Fire Maidens of Outer Space (1956)

---

Decades:

1920s:  3

1930s:  13

1940s:  34

1950s:  23

1960s:  19

1970s:  6

1980s:  6

1990s:  1

2000s:  1

2010s:  1

SUNDAY

Before she was Lucy Ricardo, Lucille Ball was known as "Queen of the Bs" at RKO.  We pay tribute to Ball's B-Movie career Sunday morning.  Eventually Ball along with husband, Desi Arnaz, would go on to own RKO studios when they purchased the ailing studio in 1957 and added it to their Desilu empire.  In the afternoon, we're seeing double with movies featuring twins.  The Parent Trap starring Hayley Mills and Hayley Mills is probably one of the best known movies featuring twins.  In this film, twins Susan and Sharon were separated at birth and coincidentally meet at summer camp.  We're premiering the classic 80s hit, Twins, with actors Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito who are mirror images of one another.  They also play twins separated at birth.  Then we meet a pair of evil twins both played by Olivia de Havilland in The Dark Mirror.  Finally, Elvis plays identical twin cousins in Kissin' Cousins.  We believe that they're identical twin cousins because it's an Elvis movie.  During primetime, we're taking a trip with the girls of Where the Boys Are and Shag: The Movie. Finally Silent Sunday Night features Harold Lloyd and TCM Imports features Brigitte Bardot. Make sure to watch George O'Hanlon's Joe McDoakes "So You Want to Keep Your Hair" short if you're upset about your receding hairline. 

MONDAY

Monday morning we're paying tribute to everyone's favorite bad guy, Dan Duryea. Then we get caught up in a series of whirlwind WWII romances.  Finally, we're hanging out with everyone's favorite best friends, Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks.  Before Reiner's passing in 2020, he and Brooks ate dinner together every night while they watched Jeopardy and movies.  This evening, we feature a documentary on their famous 2000 year old man skit, and pay tribute to each man's directing career. Brooks' spoof of the Robin Hood legend,  Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and Carl Reiner's comedy, The Man With Two Brains, will be premiered.

TUESDAY

We're headed to Hollywood with a series of movies about trying to hit it big in Hollywood or in Sullivan's Travels' case, trying to make it in Hollywood as a serious director.  During Primetime, we're headed overseas for this month's TCM Spotlight on European vacations.  Each Tuesday will showcase a series of films featuring European vacations.  This week, we're in Italy.  Katharine Hepburn falls head over heels in love during a Venetian vacation in Summertime, Audrey Hepburn falls in love with reporter Gregory Peck while in Rome in Roman Holiday, Diane Lane tries to put her life back together in Tuscany in TCM's premiere of Under the Tuscan Sun, Gidget heads off to Rome with her beau Moondoggie in Gidget Goes to Rome, and Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee fall in love in Italy in Come September

WEDNESDAY

This morning we send many happy returns of the day to James Darren, aka Moondoggie, aka my surfer boyfriend.  We'll see him teach Sandra Dee how to surf in Gidget, woo Pamela Tiffin in For Those Who Think Young and The Lively Set, which will be a TCM premiere.  Later, Darren returns as Moondoggie with new Gidget, Deborah Walley, and tries to keep her from making a fool out of herself in Hawaii in Gidget Goes Hawaiian. Later, we pay tribute to the Big Red Gum jingle with a series of films featuring "Kiss" in the title.  As one can see from the progression of the titles, one could succumb to the Kiss of Death.  In the evening, we're featuring an entire evening of Ben Mankiewicz' picks, including his favorite film, Casablanca and classic journalism films like Citizen Kane, All the President's Men, and Ace in the Hole.  We're also featuring Stanley Kubrick's classic war film, Paths of Glory

THURSDAY

No mystery will remain unsolved with Nick Charles, Philo Vance, Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew, Errol Flynn, Sam Spade, Phillip Marlowe, Dana Andrews, and Mike Hammer on the case, during our daytime tribute to sleuthing. In the evening, we're featuring our Star of the Month, Robert Stack.  Stack was discovered by Carole Lombard, with whom he appeared in To Be or Not to Be. Stack was nominated for an Oscar for his amazing turn in Written on the Wind.  Later, he would become known for his starring role in Desilu's The Untouchables and later as host of one of my favorite shows, Unsolved Mysteries

FRIDAY

We're celebrating Judy Garland's 100th birthday with a daytime and primetime salute to one of classic cinema's greatest and most tragic stars.  Of course, primetime will kick of with Judy's star-making role in The Wizard of Oz.  Garland will forever be identified with Dorothy Gale, the young girl who just wanted to cast her troubles aside and go "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." This song became Garland's signature song and for good reason, I think she deeply identified with the lyrics.  Later, we're headed WAY over the rainbow, to outer space, to check out some space babes, like Barbarella, Cat-Women of the Moon, The Queen of Outer Space, and the Fire Maidens of Outer Space.  Between Judy and the Space Babes, we're going to jazz up our Westinghouse refrigerator panels by following the directions outlined in Match Your Mood,  my all-time favorite Short. 

SATURDAY

June is the most popular month for weddings.  Saturday morning, we'll feature a series of films featuring a bride headed down the aisle, some happily and others unhappily--like Princess Buttercup in the TCM premiere of The Princess Bride.   Then, unfortunately, not all marriages work out.  During the afternoon, we'll see a trio of films featuring marriages on the rocks.  Some might work out and others may not. Saturday night's episode of The Essentials will pay tribute to the disco classic, the film that put John Travolta on the map, Saturday Night Fever.  Then we'll keep the Travolta-train going with the other film that put him on the map--Grease.  Noir Alley features the Poverty Row classic, Detour, featuring my queen, Ann Savage.  Then we'll close out the evening with some of Savage's other films--is she like Vera in all of them? One can only hope. And of course, we close out the week with my second favorite short, The Wonderful World of Tupperware

• Like 1

Speedy.  Wonderful schedule.  I just knew you would find a way to work Lucille Ball into it and yes, she did a whole lot of B's at RKO.  Dan Duryea is a super Best Bad Guy and your salute to James Darren aka Moondoggie is such fun.  I love your Daytime Tribute to Sleuthing and Space Babes is hysterical.  Great SOTM, Robert Stack, too.   Whirlwind WWII Romances is inspired.  Super job.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

SPEEDRACER5's SCHEDULE

Sunday, June 5

DAYTIME THEME: CHALLENGE #1: Lucille Ball, Queen of the B's at RKO

I like this schedule very much! My main concern is how you will break the news to Errol that you are partying down with Moondoggie.

• Haha 5
3 hours ago, SansFin said:

I like this schedule very much! My main concern is how you will break the news to Errol that you are partying down with Moondoggie.

He'll always be my #1 of course.  But I think Errol would understand if I wanted to go to a beach luau with Moondoggie to celebrate his birthday! 

• Like 2

Stevomachino's Notes

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #44: “Battle of the B's”

Week of October 9-15, 2022

SOTM: Dana Andrews

THE ESSENTIALS: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)

TCM IMPORTS: Face to Face (1976), Through a Glass Darkly (1961)

TCM SPOTLIGHT: Akira and Orson Tackle Shakespeare

NOIR ALLEY: Kiss of Death (1947), Out of the Past (1947)

CHALLENGE #44

Challenge #1 “B” Stands for B Movies – Universal's Inner Sanctum Mysteries series, and more!

Challenge #2 “B” Stands for Bad Guys – Khan, Nurse Ratched, Kathie Moffat, Angel Eyes, Vince Stone

Challenge #3 “B” Stands for Bob/Ben – Recommendations from Ben

Challenge #4 “B” Stands for Back in the Day (Film Series We Love) – Showa-Era Godzilla Films

Challenge #5 1944 Guest Programmer – Mortimer Brewster (from Arsenic and Old Lace)

PREMIERES:

Logan (2017)

Unbreakable (2000)

Jail Bait (1954)

Night of the Ghouls (1959)

Boogie Nights (1997)

Oldboy (2003)

Breaking News (2004)

Green Hell (1940)

The Frozen Ghost (1945)

Strange Confession (1945)

Pillow of Death (1945)

Crossroads (1986)

EXEMPT PREMIERES:

Face to Face (1976)

Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer Boris Karloff (1949)

Calling Dr. Death (1943)

Weird Woman (1944)

Dead Man's Eyes (1944)

Jackie Brown (1997)

King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963)

BREAKDOWN:

1910s: 0

1920s: 1

1930s: 12

1940s: 22

1950s: 22

1960s: 19

1970s: 8

1980s: 3

1990s: 5

2000s: 4

2010s: 1

NOTES:

Just a few comments, as the schedule is fairly self-explanatory (as usual!).

SUNDAY

The schedule begins with films that have either a main character confined to a wheelchair throughout the movie, or feature a memorable scene involving a wheelchair. The primetime hours focus on mental illness, and include The Silent Sunday Night selection, and two Ingmar Bergman films on TCM Imports.

MONDAY

Today celebrates director Ed Wood's birthday, high(low?)lighting several of his films, and includes the excellent Ed Wood (1994). The evening is devoted to Star of the Month Dana Andrews, and features the usual suspects of his fine filmography, as well as a few seldom-seen-on-TCM selections, including Swamp Water (1941), which I thoroughly enjoyed the one and only time it's been shown on TCM.

TUESDAY

The morning block showcases some stunning locales by featuring films shot in and around various state and national parks. Primetime gives us films presented by our guest programmer from 1944, Mortimer Brewster. Mr. Brewster seems to have chosen a night of films whose titles reflect a day in his life.

WEDNESDAY

I am always intrigued and impressed by directors (and the films they make) that include some kind of interesting/technically difficult/artistic decision. The “long take” has long been a favorite example of this. Wednesday morning features films that contain at least one shot whose preparation and execution astounds me!

The primetime block is devoted to Shakespearean adaptations by two of my favorite directors, Akira Kurosawa and Orson Welles. (NOTE – I didn't realize until much too late that LonesomePolecat also had a very similar theme in her schedule. So I apologize for the similarity. I promise I'm not copying off your homework! Let's chalk it up to “Great minds...etc etc”)😉

THURSDAY

The day starts with a colorful theme, and ends with a string of “B” movies from Universal. The Inner Sanctum Mysteries started off as a radio program that ran through the 40s and early 50s. Universal bought the film rights as a vehicle for Lon Chaney Jr., and ended up making 6 films in the series. To round out the night, I included two other Universal Horror personal faves, The Black Cat (1934) and The Old Dark House (1932).

FRIDAY

Friday starts off with more Universal pictures, featuring 50s sci-fi directed by Jack Arnold. The afternoon is dedicated to the harmonica ((which is really just a shameless tactic to throw Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) in there!))

Primetime features a run of films that Ben Mankiewicz encourages all viewers to see, including the TCM Underground pick of the week, Jackie Brown (1997).

SATURDAY

Saturday morning and daytime are reserved for a film series I hold dear, the Showa-era Godzilla movies. While mostly schlocky, I enjoy them unabashedly, and still maintain that the original, Godzilla (1954), is a brilliant, artistic masterpiece.

Primetime is dedicated to the “B”ad guys and gals of film, and kicks off with The Essentials, featuring Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982). Not only do I think this is the best Star Trek movie, I consider it to tick off almost every box that makes for ANY essential film. It has a great story/theme, a fantastic script, fine acting, good direction/cinematography, a beautiful score, and perfectly captures the “feeling” of Star Trek that made fans love the original series so much.

The rest of the evening features more delicious “baddies”, ranging from Nurse Ratched to “The Bad” himself, and from Vince Stone to the textbook femme fatale, Kathie Moffat in this week's second Noir Alley selection, Out of the Past (1947).

• Like 1

Stevo's Schedule

--------------------------------SUNDAY OCTOBER 9TH-------------------------------

Films Featuring Wheelchairs

6:00am Night Must Fall (1937) Robert Montgomery, Rosalind Russell, May Whitty. Dir: Richard Thorpe. MGM, 116min. p/s

8:00am Rear Window (1954) James Stewart, Grace Kelly. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. Paramount, 112min. p/s

Noir Alley

10:00am Kiss of Death (1947) Victor Mature, Brian Donlevy. Dir: Henry Hathaway. Fox, 99min. p/s

11:45am Logan (2017) Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart. Dir: James Mangold. Fox, 137min. Premiere #1

2:15pm Scream of Fear (1961) Susan Strasberg, Ann Todd, Christopher Lee. Dir: Seth Holt. Hammer Films, 81min. p/s

3:45pm What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) Bette Davis, Joan Crawford. Dir: Robert Aldrich. Warner Bros, 134min. p/s

6:00pm Unbreakable (2000) Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson. Dir: M. Night Shyamalan. Touchstone Pictures, 106min. Premiere #2

Delving into Mental Illness

8:00pm Hangover Square (1945) Laird Cregar, Linda Darnell, George Sanders. Dir: John Brahm. Fox, 77min. p/s

9:30pm A Double Life (1947) Ronald Colman, Edmond O'Brien. Dir: George Cukor. Universal, 104min. p/s

11:15pm Shadow on the Wall (1950) Ann Sothern, Zachary Scott. Dir: Patrick Jackson. MGM, 84min. p/s

Silent Sunday Night

12:45 am Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) John Barrymore, Martha Mansfield. Dir: John S. Robertson. Paramount, 69min. p/s

TCM Imports

2:00am Face to Face (1976) Liv Ullmann, Erland Josephson. Dir: Ingmar Bergman. Cinematograph AB, 114min. Exempt Premiere

4:00am Through a Glass Darkly (1961) Harriet Andersson, Gunnar Bjornstrand. Dir: Ingmar Bergman. Svensk Filmindustri, 90min. p/s

--------------------------------MONDAY OCTOBER 10TH-------------------------------

Based on the Works of H.G. Wells

5:30am The Time Machine (1960) Rod Taylor, Alan Young. Dir: George Pal. MGM, 103min. p/s

7:15am The Invisible Man (1933) Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart. Dir: James Whale. Universal, 71min. p/s

8:30am The War of the Worlds (1953) Gene Barry, Ann Robinson. Dir: Byron Haskin. Paramount, 85min. p/s

10:00am Island of Lost Souls (1932) Charles Laughton, Bela Lugosi. Dir: Erle C. Kenton. Paramount, 70min. p/s

Happy Birthday Ed Wood

11:15am Jail Bait (1954) Lyle Talbot, Delores Fuller. Dir: Edward D. Wood Jr. Howco Productions Inc., 71min. Premiere #3

12:30pm Bride of the Monster (1955) Bela Lugosi, Tor Johnson. Dir: Edward D. Wood Jr. Rolling M. Productions, 69min. p/s

1:45pm Night of the Ghouls (1959) Kenne Duncan, Tor Johnson. Dir: Edward D. Wood Jr. Atomic Productions Inc., 69min. Premiere #4

3:00pm Glen or Glenda (1953) Edward D. Wood Jr., Bela Lugosi. Dir: Edward D. Wood Jr. Screen Classics Productions, 65min. Public Domain

4:15pm Plan 9 from Outer Space (1957) Bela Lugosi, Vampira, Tor Johnson. Dir: Edward D. Wood Jr. Reynolds Pictures, 79min. p/s

5:45pm Ed Wood (1994) Johnny Depp, Martin Landau. Dir: Tim Burton. Touchstone Pictures, 127min. p/s

SOTM Dana Andrews

8:00pm The Ox-Bow Incident (1942) Henry Fonda, Dana Andrews. Dir: William A. Wellman. Fox, 75min. p/s

9:15pm Swamp Water (1941) Walter Brennan, Walter Houston. Dir: Jean Renoir. Fox, 88min. p/s

10:45pm Laura (1944) Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews. Dir: Otto Preminger. Fox, 88min. p/s

12:15am Elephant Walk (1953) Elizabeth Taylor, Dana Andrews. Dir: William Dieterle. Paramount, 103min. p/s

2:00am Curse of the Demon (1957) Dana Andrews, Peggy Cummins. Dir: Jacques Tourneur. Columbia, 95min. p/s

3:45am The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Myrna Loy, Dana Andrews, Fredric March. Dir: William Wyler. The Samuel Goldwyn Company, 170min. p/s

--------------------------------TUESDAY OCTOBER 11TH-------------------------------

Featuring Locations in National/State Parks

6:45am Planet of the Apes (1968) Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall. Dir: Franklin J. Schaffner. Fox, 112min. p/s

8:45am Close Encounter of the Third Kind (1977) Richard Dreyfuss, Francois Truffaut. Dir: Steven Spielberg. Columbia/EMI, 138min. p/s

11:15am Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) James Mason, Pat Boone. Dir: Henry Levin. Fox, 129min. p/s

1:30pm Vertigo (1958) James Stewart, Kim Novak. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. Paramount, 129min. p/s

3:45pm Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) Paul Newman, Robert Redford. Dir: George Roy Hill. Fox, 110min. p/s

5:45pm Star Wars (1977) Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher. Dir: George Lucas. Fox, 121min. p/s

7:50pm Colorful North Carolina (1942) (short) James A. FitzPatrick. Dir: James A. FitzPatrick. MGM, 9min. p/s

Challenge #5 Guest Programmer Mortimer Brewster (from Arsenic and Old Lace)

8:00pm Married Bachelor (1941) Robert Young, Ruth Hussey, Felix Bressart. Dir: Edward Buzzell. MGM, 81min. p/s

9:30pm The Family Secret (1951) John Derek, Lee J. Cobb. Dir: Henry Levin. Columbia, 85min. p/s

11:00pm Pretty Poison (1968) Anthony Perkins, Tuesday Weld. Dir: Noel Black. Fox, 89min. p/s

12:30am Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff (1949) Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Boris Karloff. Dir: Charles T. Barton. Universal, 84min. 1944-Exempt Premiere

2:00am The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland. Dir: Michael Curtiz. Warner Bros, 115min. p/s

4:00am Some Kind of a Nut (1969) Dick Van Dyke, Angie Dickinson. Dir: Garson Kanin. United Artists, 90min. p/s

--------------------------------WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 12TH-----------------------------

Film-making Fun!: The Long Take

5:30am Boogie Nights (1997) Mark Wahlberg, Julianna Moore, Burt Reynolds. Dir: Paul Thomas Anderson. New Line Cinema, 155min. Premiere #5

8:15am Goodfellas (1990) Robert de Niro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci. Dir: Martin Scorsese. Warer Bros, 146min. p/s

10:45am Touch of Evil (1958) Charlton Heston, Orson Welles, Janet Leigh. Dir: Orson Welles. Universal, 95min. p/s

12:30pm Contact (1997) Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaughey. Dir: Robert Zemeckis. Warner Bros, 150min. p/s

3:00pm Oldboy (2003) Choi Min-sik, Yoo Ji-Tae. Dir: Chan-wook Park. Egg Films, 120min. Premiere #6

5:00pm Rope (1948) James Stewart, John Dall, Farley Granger. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. Warner Bros, 80min. p/s

6:30pm Breaking News (2004) Richie Jen, Kelly Chen. Dir: Johnnie To. Media Asia Films, 90min. Premiere #7

TCM Spotlight - Akira and Orson Tackle Shakespeare

8:00pm Throne of Blood (1957) Toshiro Mifune, Minoru Chiaki. Dir: Akira Kurosawa. Toho, 110min. p/s

10:00pm Ran (1985) Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Terao. Dir: Akira Kurosawa. Greenwich Film Productions/Toho, 162min. p/s

12:45am The Bad Sleep Well (1960) Toshiro Mifune, Masayuki Mori. Dir: Akira Kurosawa. Toho, 151min. p/s

3:30am Chimes at Midnight (1965) Orson Welles, Jeanne Moreau. Dir: Orson Welles. Internacional Films, 119min. p/s

5:30am Othello (1951) Orson Welles, Michael MacLiammoir. Dir: Orson Welles. Scalera Film/Mercury Productions, 93min. p/s

--------------------------------THURSDAY OCTOBER 13TH-------------------------------

ROYGBIV!

7:00am Red-Headed Woman (1932) Jean Harlow, Chester Morris. Dir: Jack Conway. MGM, 79min. p/s

8:30am A Clockwork Orange (1971) Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee. Dir: Stanley Kubrick. Warner Bros, 136min. p/s

11:00am Yellow Dust (1936) Richard Dix, Leila Hyams. Dir: Wallace Fox. RKO, 69min. p/s

12:15pm Green Hell (1940) Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Joan Bennett. Dir: James Whale. Universal, 87min. Premiere #8

1:45pm Secret of the Blue Room (1933) Lionel Atwill, Gloria Stuart. Dir: Kurt Neumann. Universal, 66min. p/s

2:55pm Mood Indigo (1952) (short) Duke Ellington. Dir: Duke Goldstone. Snader Telescriptions, 4min.

3:00pm Violets in Spring (1936) (short) George Murphy, Virginia Grey. Dir: Kurt Neuman. MGM, 21min. p/s

3:30pm Chasing Rainbows (1930) Bessie Love, Charles King, Jack Benny. Dir: Charles Reisner. MGM, 96min. p/s

5:15pm Finian's Rainbow (1968) Fred Astaire, Petula Clark. Dir: Francis Ford Coppola. Warner Bros, 141min. p/s

7:45pm Rainbow Canyons (1936) (short) James A. FitzPatrick. Dir: Ruth FitzPatrick. MGM, 8min. p/s

Challenge #1 - “B” Stands for B Movies – Universal's Inner Sanctum Mysteries and More!

8:00pm Calling Dr. Death (1943) Lon Chaney Jr., Patricia Morison. Dir: Reginald Le Borg. Universal, 63min. B-Movie Exempt Premiere

9:15pm Weird Woman (1944) Lon Chaney Jr., Anne Gwynne. Dir: Reginald Le Borg. Universal, 63min. B-Movie Exempt Premiere

10:30pm Dead Man's Eyes (1944) Lon Chaney Jr., Jean Parker. Dir: Reginald Le Borg. Universal, 64min. B-Movie Exempt Premiere

11:45pm The Frozen Ghost (1945) Lon Chaney Jr., Evelyn Ankers. Dir: Harold Young. Universal, 61min. Premiere #9

1:00am Strange Confession (1945) Lon Chaney Jr., Brenda Joyce. Dir: John Hoffman. Universal, 62min. Premiere #10

2:15am Pillow of Death (1945) Lon Chaney Jr., Brenda Joyce. Dir: Wallace Fox. Universal, 66min. Premiere #11

3:30am The Old Dark House (1932) Boris Karloff, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Laughton. Dir: James Whale. Universal, 72min. p/s

4:45am The Black Cat (1934) Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi. Dir: Edgar G. Ullmer. Universal, 65min. p/s

--------------------------------FRIDAY OCTOBER 14TH-------------------------------

Happy Birthday Jack Arnold

6:00am Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) Richard Carlson, Julie Adams. Dir: Jack Arnold. Universal, 79min. p/s

7:30am Revenge of the Creature (1955) John Agar, Lori Nelson. Dir: Jack Arnold. Universal, 82min. p/s

9:00am Tarantula (1955) John Agar, Mara Corday, Leo G. Carroll. Dir: Jack Arnold. Universal, 80min. p/s

10:15am The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) Grant Williams, Randy Stuart. Dir: Jack Arnold. Universal, 81min. p/s

Featuring the Dulcet Tones of the Harmonica

11:45am A Hard Day's Night (1964) John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr. Dir: Richard Lester. United Artists, 87min. p/s

1:15pm Crossroads (1986) Ralph Macchio, Joe Seneca. Dir: Walter Hill. Columbia, 99min. Premiere #12

3:00pm Meet John Doe (1941) Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck. Dir: Frank Capra. Warner Bros, 135min. p/s

5:15pm Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards. Dir: Sergio Leone. Paramount, 165min. p/s

Challenge #3 “B” Stands for Ben

8:00pm Citizen Kane (1941) Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten. Dir: Orson Welles. RKO, 119min. p/s

10:00pm Casablanca (1942) Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman. Dir: Michael Curtiz. Warner Bros, 102min. p/s

11:45pm All the President's Men (1976) Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford. Dir: Alan J. Pacula. Warner Bros, 138min. p/s

TCM Underground

2:15am Jackie Brown (1997) Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson. Dir: Quentin Tarantino. Miramax, 154min. Ben-Exempt Premiere

5:00am No Country for Old Men (2007) Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem. Dir: Joel & Ethan Cohen. Paramount, 122min. p/s

--------------------------------SATURDAY OCTOBER 15TH-------------------------------

Challenge #4 “B” Stands for Back in the Day – A Favorite Film Series

Showa-Era Godzilla-thon!

7:15am Godzilla (1954) Takashi Shimura, Akihiko Hirata. Dir: Ishiro Honda. Toho, 96min. p/s

9:00am King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963) Tadao Takashima, Kenji Sahaha. Dir: Ishiro Honda. Toho, 91min. 2006-Exempt Premiere

10:45am Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) Akira Takarada, Yuriko Hoshi. Dir: Ishiro Honda. Toho, 89min. p/s

12:15pm Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster (1964) Yosuke Natsuki, Yuriko Hoshi. Dir: Ishiro Honda. Toho, 85min. p/s

1:45pm Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965) Nick Adams, Akira Takarada. Dir: Ishiro Honda. Toho, 93min. p/s

3:30pm Destroy All Monsters (1968) Akira Kubo, Jan Tazaki. Dir: Iahiro Honda. Toho, 88min. p/s

5:00pm Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) Masaaki Daimon, Kazuya Aoyama. Dir: Jun Fukuda. Toho, 84min. p/s

6:30pm Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) Katsuhiko Sasaki, Tomoko Ai. Dir: Ishiro Honda. Toho, 79min. p/s

Challenge #2 “B” Stands for Bad Guys (and Gals!)

The Essentials

8:00pm Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelly, Ricardo Montalban. Dir: Nicholas Meyer. Paramount, 113min. p/s

10:00pm One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher. Dir: Milos Forman. United Artists, 133min. p/s

Noir Alley

12:15am Out of the Past (1947) Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas. Dir: Jacques Tourneur. RKO, 97min. p/s

2:00am The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach. Dir: Sergio Leone. United Artists, 178min. p/s

5:00am The Big Heat (1953) Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, Lee Marvin. Dir: Fritz Lang. Columbia, 89min. p/s

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Stevomachino said:

Stevo's Schedule

This is a quite wonderful schedule and I do hope that TCM Programmers use much of it.

I must admit that I was taken aback when I did read your notation: "TCM SPOTLIGHT: Akira and Orson Tackle Shakespeare". It was automatic that I thought first of Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood (1957) but my brain stumbled over the concept of Orson Bean playing Iago. Or Hamlet. Or Macbeth. Or any other powerful Shakespearian character. His portrayal of: Katherina in: "The Taming of the Shrew" in drag would definitely be worth watching and I am sure it would have been a monumental piece of cinematic history but I have my doubts any director ever considered filming that sort of adaptation.

• Haha 1