Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another 900,000 Americans filed new unemployment claims last week

Another 900,000 Americans filed new unemployment claims last week

New weekly unemployment claims retreated only slightly from last week’s elevated level as the coronavirus pandemic continued to grip the U.S. economy.

The Department of Labor released its weekly report on new jobless claims Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. ET. Here were the main results from the report, compared to consensus estimates compiled by Bloomberg:

Initial jobless claims, week ended Jan. 16: 900,000 vs. 935,000 expected and a revised 926,000 during the prior week

Continuing claims, week ended Jan. 9: 5.054 million vs. 5.300 million expected and a revised 5.181 million during prior week

Initial unemployment claims came in at 900,000 or above for back-to-back weeks after hovering below that level since August. This month, seasonality factors coincided with a post-holiday spike in coronavirus cases to weigh heavily on the labor market data. The four-week moving average for new claims jumped by nearly 24,000 to 848,000 this week.

While most states reported declines in unadjusted new claims last week, a few reported notable increases. Arizona, a state grappling with an unbridled spread of the virus, saw 15,000 more new claims this week than last, and new claims in Illinois increased by nearly 14,000.

Biden brought in all of the old Obama people who sat around for years while the economy went nowhere, and here is the first report, 900,000 more jobless claims.

15 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Biden brought in all of the old Obama people who sat around for years while the economy went nowhere, and here is the first report, 900,000 more jobless claims.

You are blaming last week's jobless numbers when Trump was still President on Joe Biden?

News flash: Joe Biden became President yesterday and has not even had his cabinet confirmed as yet.

Even though Biden hasn't gone golfing yet I am very surprised that you are haven't started to complain about that too.

Donald Trump checked out being President months ago and why anyone would want the fat idiot back is incredible.

9 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

You are blaming last week's jobless numbers when Trump was still President on Joe Biden?

News flash: Joe Biden became President yesterday and has not even had his cabinet confirmed as yet.

Even though Biden hasn't gone golfing yet I am very surprised that you are haven't started to complain about that too.

Donald Trump checked out being President months ago and why anyone would want the fat idiot back is incredible.

An article from Forbes, 2019:

"Exactly 11 years ago today, February 17, 2009, President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 or the Recovery Act into law. The $831 billion in spending kicked off the longest period of economic growth and job creation in American history."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2020/02/17/obamas-2009-recovery-act-kicked-off-over-10-years-of-economic-growth/?sh=7a06862f68b7

These unemployment numbers is why we simply cannot deal with any influx of immigrants right now.  How can jobs be found for them when we hardly can deal with the present unemployed.

Employers know that Biden is taking office so they laid off the people who aren't necessary because they know the economy won't recover now. It's not that hard to figure out.

PS Why did Biden put in people who did a lousy job for the Obama years?

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

These unemployment numbers is why we simply cannot deal with any influx of immigrants right now.  How can jobs be found for them when we hardly can deal with the present unemployed.

Are you ready to pick grapes? These Americans were willing to, once upon a time. But not any more.

Grapes-of-Wrath-I.jpg

13 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Most countries are not accepting travellers at the moment so I don't think you have to worry.

5 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Are you ready to pick grapes? These Americans were willing to, once upon a time. But not any more.

Grapes-of-Wrath-I.jpg

I say give them a choice, WORK or FORGET getting unemployment!  Poor todays generation, might break a nail. 

10 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Employers know that Biden is taking office so they laid off the people who aren't necessary because they know the economy won't recover now. It's not that hard to figure out.

PS Why did Biden put in people who did a lousy job for the Obama years?

So, Obama's record growth for 8 years was in anticipation of Donald Trump becoming President then Trump started to lose jobs because people thought a democrat would likely get elected again.  Got it.

11 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I say give them a choice, WORK or FORGET getting unemployment!  Poor todays generation, might break a nail. 

Tell that to the coal miners in West Virginia, who think that it's their inalienable right to mine coal, which is becoming obsolete.  One of the most Democratic states in America turned Republican largely because Trump promised them a return to a robust coal-mining economy. That's never going to happen. You think those miners will be willing to pick fruit?

3 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Tell that to the coal miners in West Virginia, who think that it's their inalienable right to mine coal, which is becoming obsolete.  One of the most Democratic states in America turned Republican largely because Trump promised them a return to a robust coal-mining economy. That's never going to happen. You think those miners will be willing to pick fruit?

There are cultural issues at work in West Virginia too. The folks there are largely fundamentalist Christians with a very accelerated lifescript. For example, a couple of years ago I met a young woman from there who mentioned that she waited until she was older to get married.  She got married when she was 21. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Don't know where you get your information, we have a lot of private gardens / farms where people sell their products at farmers markets.

West-Virginia-Farm-Loans-300x199.jpg

Farmers-Market.jpg

2 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

There are cultural issues at work in West Virginia too. The folks there are largely fundamentalist Christians with a very accelerated lifescript. For example, a couple of years ago I met a young woman from there who mentioned that she waited until she was older to get married.  She got married when she was 21. 

It's like that line in Daisy Mae's song from Li'l Abner: "I'm past my prime, and I'm losin' time. Seventeen last spring, still without a ring!."

3 hours ago, hamradio said:

In addition those employers that had to lay off workers should only hire back workers that have a legal right to work in the USA.    

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Come on, give Movie Madness a break. Now that he's bitter over Trump's loss he can't wait to blame Biden for EVERYTHING!!!

He just got a little ahead of himself.

MM never mentioned the covid death numbers when Trump was in charge. Now that Biden is in the WH I'm sure we can look forward to MM throwing the covid numers in our faces all the time.

31 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Come on, give Movie Madness a break. Now that he's bitter over Trump's loss he can't wait to blame Biden for EVERYTHING!!!

He just got a little ahead of himself.

MM never mentioned the covid death numbers when Trump was in charge. Now that Biden is in the WH I'm sure we can look forward to MM throwing the covid numers in our faces all the time.

I'm glad that you brought that up.  The thing about a pandemic is that all this continued growth can be traced back and attributed to a set number of patients.  So this will continue to be all on Trump who could have slowed the growth and saved lots of lives if only he had taken it seriously.  The exponential growth is all down to him.  Unfortunately this clock is going to keep ticking for some time ...

01/21/2021 15:01:47
TOTAL ESTIMATED U.S. COVID-19 DEATHS: 406,673

Trump Death Clock

Estimated U.S. COVID-19 Deaths Due To POTUS Inaction
In January 2020, the Trump administration was advised that immediate action was required to stop the spread of COVID-19. According to NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci, “there was a lot of pushback” to this advice. President Trump declined to act until March 16th. Experts estimate that, had mitigation measures been implemented one week earlier, 60% of American COVID-19 deaths would have been avoided. (For further reading, click here).

My company is VERY successful. We've been hiring more people, to fill in the spots of those who started working from home last year. So we now have double the workforce, those in the office and those at home. They gave us all bonuses in December and there will be a mid-year bonus in June.

Arizona is a right to work state. We have the right to work and we do. We work hard all week and we work overtime on some Saturdays.

I will never be able to file unemployment because we are cross-trained, and we have offices across the country. So they could ask me to go to Florida to work in the New Port Richey office, and if I don't say yes, then I won't be able to file for unemployment...so my company has a lot of ways of keeping us gainfully employed.

But you have to want to work.