Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Democrats are working on........

The filibuster was popularized in the Jim Crow era by Southerners who wanted to prevent the Northern majority from passing legislation in favor of civil rights for Black citizens. Abolish it.

FmeL-VEG_bigger.jpg

R-Q7t_1I_normal.jpg

Adam Jentleson 

🎈

@AJentleson
Replying to @AJentleson
The de facto supermajority threshold was first forged against civil rights. Jim Crow-era segregationist senators repurposed a 1917 Senate rule to force every civil rights bill to clear a supermajority threshold, blocking them all. Only civil rights bills were blocked in this way.

And here people wonder why the sound of a southern accent has always grated on my ears.

THIS is why!

LOL 

Yes yes, I know. Not all southerners are dumb***ed racists or backwater hicks. STILL though, I gotta say that accent has never been one of my favorites, and especially whenever I hear some "southern belle" attempting to put on the charm..."Honey Lamb"!

(...okay, and now where were we here?...oh yeah...what "Democrats are working on"...and so, GIVE 'EM HELL, JOE!!!)

LOL...some more now

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And here people wonder why the sound of a southern accent has always grated on my ears.

THIS is why!

LOL 

Yes yes, I know. Not all southerners are dumb***ed racists or backwater hicks. STILL though, I gotta say that accent has never been one of my favorites, and especially whenever I hear some "southern belle" attempting to put on the charm..."Honey Lamb"!

(...okay, and now where we here?...oh yeah...what "Democrats are working on"...and so, GIVE 'EM HELL, JOE!!!)

LOL...some more now

When I hear a southern accent, I always think about Rod Steiger "In the Heat of the Night".

His character got what he deserved in the movie and Rod Steiger got what he deserved as an actor-- an Oscar for that role.

Somebody had to do it and he did a great job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Curious is his middle name Third? 

:P

C'mon now, ham! Didn't you notice how hard and almost assuredly doomed to failure Nazi jokes are after seeing the one I posted yesterday in Nip's "Is the covid vaccine mandatory" thread???

(...and didn't you ALSO notice that THAT one of MINE got absolutely NO response from anyone EITHER?!)  ;)

LOL

13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

When I hear a southern accent, I always think about Rod Steiger "In the Heat of the Night".

His character got what he deserved in the movie and Rod Steiger got what he deserved as an actor-- an Oscar for that role.

Somebody had to do it and he did a great job.

He did indeed.  But, when I hear a Southern accent I look to see if it's somebody I worked with at Cadillac.  Was a LOT of drawls goin' on in that place.  ;)   But someone go warn MM

If the GOP is filibustering, and as most GOP members are filled to the gills with hot air, then surely "global warming" will be a sure reality, as that's more hot air than the atmosphere can safely handle!  ;) 

Sepiatone

On 1/21/2021 at 7:14 PM, mr6666 said:

Nothing says Mitch McConnell

like filibustering to keep the filibuster.

A more accurate description of the filibuster rules. Republicans and Democrats, Northerners and Southerners and Westerners have used it over the course of time.  It was not just used to kill civil rights bills.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster_in_the_United_States_Senate

So Cid, I see you gave me one of those "sad" emojis after reading my earlier posting here:

On 1/21/2021 at 6:04 PM, Dargo said:

THIS is why!

LOL 

(...okay, and now where were we here?...oh yeah...what "Democrats are working on"...and so, GIVE 'EM HELL, JOE!!!)

LOL...some more now

Well heck, you Southern Boy, you! Didn't I SAY up there that I know "not all southerners are dumb***ed racists or backwater hicks"?!

(...and I know you can't help it if you probably have one of those accents, RIGHT?!!!)  ;)

LOL

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

So Cid, I see you gave me one of those "sad" emojis after reading my earlier posting here:

Well heck, you Southern Boy, you! Didn't I SAY up there that I know "not all southerners are dumb***ed racists or backwater hicks"?!

(...and I know you can't help it if you probably have one of those accents, RIGHT?!!!)  ;)

LOL

I don't have an accent; you do.;)

• Like 1