Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 hours ago, SansFin said:

bqsicMA.jpg

That seems to had it's inspiration from the old Bombardeir arctic transport.  Wonder how it works in sub zero tempuratures?

joey-young-with-1957-bombardier-snow-mac

This seems to be in between the two.

• Like 2
On 1/24/2021 at 12:48 PM, ElCid said:

The purple paint peeled after 24 months or so and they were terribly unreliable.  Pretty though.  Personally I preferred the Dodge Challenger - I owned a 71.

Dah rool dah rool.. Oh, Mama!

On 1/23/2021 at 1:40 PM, Janet0312 said:

Plymouth_Duster-.jpg

Now wait a minute. My first car was a Plymouth Duster. Looked very similar to this baby. Four on the floor clutch. We burned out more racing car clutches on this thing. It had no weight. So not good in the snow. Bit what an engine! Same stripey on the side. Let's see... Metallic green it was.  Boy, they sure don't make them like this anymore. Isn't that a pretty car?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...yep, nothin' has ever said "Jet Age styling" louder than THESE babies alright...the 1961-63 Ford Thunderbirds)

Yes ... but ... I do not know how to say this ... I suppose I will just have to blurt it out ... ready? ... It's a Ford!?!?! 

I try very hard to have an open mind for many things but this is far beyond the pale.

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Yes ... but ... I do not know how to say this ... I suppose I will just have to blurt it out ... ready? ... It's a Ford!?!?! 

I try very hard to have an open mind for many things but this is far beyond the pale.

;)

Yes yes, I know, Sans. I've never been much of a Ford guy myself. The only Ford I've ever owned was a pretty worn out 1965 Mustang convertible back in the late-'70s.

But, ya gotta admit there have been some beautiful cars made by that marque over the years. Take for instance another one of my Dream Cars here...

58081771-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Now wait a minute. My first car was a Plymouth Duster. Looked very similar to this baby. Four on the floor clutch. We burned out more racing car clutches on this thing. It had no weight. So not good in the snow. Bit what an engine! Same stripey on the side. Let's see... Metallic green it was.  Boy, they sure don't make them like this anymore. Isn't that a pretty car?

They make 'em better.  Maybe not as pretty, but more reliable and more dependable.

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

Yes yes, I know, Sans. I've never been much of a Ford guy myself. The only Ford I've ever owned was a pretty worn out 1965 Mustang convertible back in the late-'70s.

But, ya gotta admit there have been some beautiful cars made by that marque over the years. Take for instance another one of my Dream Cars here...

Watched Ford vs. Ferrari the other day.  Very interesting movie, if a little long though.  Don't know that much about Henry Ford II, but think he was treated poorly in the movie.  When he took over FoMoCo in late 40's it was headed for bankruptcy due to Henry Ford's poor management and turning the company over to his security henchman.  The only thing that had been saving it was war contracts.

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

I liked the look of the 2004 Thunderbird.  Question:  Did they have a special edition of the Thunderbird about this time?  i saw a beautiful one on the road about this time but could not find a google picture of it.

2004-ford-thunderbird-pacific-coast-road

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

Heh.  MY first "car" was a '60 ford falcon.  Bought it off a buddy's brother for $60.  A buck a year.  Owned it for a month but it only ran for a week.  Got my $60 back when I junked it.

My next vehicle (that I really miss) was a '65 Dodge Coronet 500 with a 383 4bbl. mill.  Luckily it was back in the days of the 25 cent gallon of gas.  ;)  THAT'S one I'd like to have back.  

Sure, it had an auto trans and a bench front seat, but I had a good time with it (driving AND when parked.  ;) )  up until some jerkwad T-boned me and totaled it :( 

Sepiatone

I have been re-watching the series: Perry Mason (1957–1966). I notice that many of the automobiles are Ford. It was slightly amusing that there is a scene where both Paul Drake and Perry Mason are driving black Thunderbird convertibles. 

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

I have been re-watching the series: Perry Mason (1957–1966). I notice that many of the automobiles are Ford. It was slightly amusing that there is a scene where both Paul Drake and Perry Mason are driving black Thunderbird convertibles. 

Ah yes. Like this...

i204912.jpg

sulky8.jpg

...and then later, this...

1038517.jpg

Btw Sans, did you know that Ford had to ask permission to use the name "Thunderbird" from the Triumph Motorcycle Co. of England which had had a model named that since 1950? And, with perhaps the most notable example of this motorcycle being that it was a 1950 Triumph Thunderbird which Marlon Brando rode in the film The Wild One...

Marlon-Brando-The-Wild-One.jpg&ehk=1TfeM

• Like 2

Paul Drake drove a: 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Sport Roadster in some of the early episodes. 

I am not a great fan of the Corvette and I would not own one on a bet but the styling must be truly classic for China to so blatantly steal it for their line of new electric vehicles.

ctdosd4hk5ueu5zhvs2k.jpg

11 hours ago, SansFin said:

Paul Drake drove a: 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Sport Roadster in some of the early episodes. 

I am not a great fan of the Corvette and I would not own one on a bet but the styling must be truly classic for China to so blatantly steal it for their line of new electric vehicles.

ctdosd4hk5ueu5zhvs2k.jpg

I have never been impressed by Corvettes.   Always thought of it as redneck car.   It actually was not very successful compared to the Thunderbird and I think GM kept it and poured money into improving it primarily because the T-Bird was there.

The T-Bird was not sold as a sports car, but rather as a "personal" car.    Hugely successful compared to Corvette and even much more so when changed to a four passenger in 1958.

15 hours ago, SansFin said:

We have the PM DVD set and frequently watch an episode.  Paul had the more interesting cars, but then he was sportier than Perry.

The production company probably had a deal with Ford for use of the cars.

In Route 66, Todd had a new Corvette each season and never explained how they could afford a new one every year of what they made doing odd jobs across the country.  Of course, Chevrolet provided it as publicity for their cars and they sponsored half of each episode.  Todd and his partner were not permitted to drive the Vette except during filming and rehearsals.  I think Chevy also provided a vehicle for Todd's family to use when they travelled with him for filming.

Chrysler Corp. was big into product placement with its vehicles.  I believe they would charge a dollar a day rental on them.  That is why you see so many in TV shows and movies.