Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Doniphan Ranch (Liberty Valance)

I have been trying to find this on the internet and I'm not coming close. Does anyone know where the Tom Doniphan ranch was in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"? That's a John Wayne film site I have been trying to track and cant seem to do it.

26 minutes ago, KidChaplin said:

I have been trying to find this on the internet and I'm not coming close. Does anyone know where the Tom Doniphan ranch was in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"? That's a John Wayne film site I have been trying to track and cant seem to do it.

I assume there was no actual ranch.    The few short scenes in the film could have been done in Studio City CA.

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume there was no actual ranch.    The few short scenes in the film could have been done in Studio City CA.

Wikipedia and IMDb both state most of it was shot at the studio, with some scenes shot at Janss Conejo Ranch, which is now Wildwood Park in Thousand Oaks.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Wikipedia and IMDb both state most of it was shot at the studio, with some scenes shot at Janss Conejo Ranch, which is now Wildwood Park in Thousand Oaks.

Yeah, but how do we know that this information is really true?

(...I mean, you know what they say about "printing the legend" don't ya, Tex?!)  

;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

It really doesn't matter what either of you write,  or even Hallie;   Tom couldn't read.

True, Tom couldn't read, but POMPEY could.

And thus unbeknownst to Tom, Pompey had actually had the deed to the ranch written in HIS name, and thus HE actually owned the ranch...lock, stock and barrel!

THAT'S right! Pompey was a hell of a lot smarter than anyone in Shinbone knew!!!

(...the preceding was brought to you courtesy of Black History Month 2021...and about a century and a half after Pompey had made his killing in the Shinbone real estate market)

;)

• Haha 3

A good, oh, 18 years ago, I happened to be working in Northern California.  My mom came to visit, and I took her on a spin around Lake Tahoe, because if you're in the area, you should go for a spin around Lake Tahoe.  So we're driving, and my mom sees a sign for the "Bonanza" ranch, and she says "hey, let's go to the Bonanza ranch".  She was old enough to know "Bonanza" but I'd never seen the show and I was concentrating on showing her the jaw-dropping beauty of the Lake Tahoe area, and I didn't want to waste hours at some tourist attraction, so I told her that we'd go there next time.

Not long after that, in 2004, the Bonanza ranch was sold to developers and closed to tourists forever.  Guess that 30 years after "Bonanza" went off the air there weren't a lot of tourists who wanted to see the sets anymore.  I've felt guilty about that ever since.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Y'know, I always liked that big house they showed as being the Cartwright place on the Ponderosa.  Yeah, I know it was likely a variety of "sets" when filmed were spliced to give the impression of one big house, but still....

Wouldn't mind having a real house based on that design.  But hey, I'll settle for being able to AFFORD a house like that!  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1