Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cloris Leachman, 1926-2021

Cloris Leachman was unique and interesting.    I just watched her this week in an episode of Wagon Train where she plays a saloon gal that falls hard for Flynt.  

Very varied film and T.V. career that touched the hearts of multiple generations.   

2 hours ago, Fedya said:

Oscar-winner for The Last Picture Show dies at 94

Of course, she was just as well known for her TV work which earned her a passel of Emmy nominations.

And isn't she the TCM Guest Programmer who selected Bridge on the River Kwai with the reason being that she had never seen it before?

Had a.. ...Smaller.. (more of blink and You might miss it role in the EXQUISITE Hard-Boiled Kiss Me Deadly ...

STILL.. .One of the BEST Thrimers.. EVER...

MV5BNDI3NjNkZDgtYjgzMC00ODAwLWEyMTUtMmFkYTk3ODE0YzAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE4MDg3NTIz._V1_.jpg

2 hours ago, midwestan said:

Her portrayal as Nurse Diesel in "High Anxiety" was hilarious too.

I don't know how she and Harvey Korman got through that spanking scene. She must have been quite the sport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was just watching that the other night. She’s about the only good thing in the film.

I disagree, but we can talk about it some place else.

2 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I don't know how she and Harvey Korman got through that spanking scene. She must have been quite the sport.

Dinner is served promptly at 8.  Those who are tardy will not get fruit cup.

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I disagree, but we can talk about it some place else.

I know HIGH ANXIETY has A LOT of fans, and the parts that do work work really well. 

“I didn’t like her...she never bathed.”

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Leachman had great comic timings,  but like I said she had a varied career.     She was fantastic as the widow in The Last Picture Show.

Nitpick: I thought she was coach's wife, not the widow.  Unless Coach dies near the end.  I haven't seen it in a while.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Fedya said:

Nitpick: I thought she was coach's wife, not the widow.  Unless Coach dies near the end.  I haven't seen it in a while.

She's in a sexless marriage with the coach, who is in the closet.  His homosexuality is only vaguely implied, but the implication has been confirmed by Bogdanovich.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

This one hurts so much. I loved her on The Mary Tyler moore Show, and she always added so much to everything she was in. With 8 Emmy awards, she holds the record (in a tie) for most wins ever.

If you count the Daytime statuette she won  for the 1983 ABC Afterschool Special "The Woman Who Willed a Miracle," she received nine overall Emmys.

See the source image

It's always blown my mind that Leachman preceded June Lockhart in the role of Ruth Martin, the mother of Timmy (Jon Provost), on TV's "Lassie."

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Leachman had great comic timings,  but like I said she had a varied career.     She was fantastic as the lonely wife in The Last Picture Show.

Oscar Vault Monday – The Last Picture Show, 1971 (dir. Peter Bogdanovich) |  the diary of a film history fanatic

She was brilliant in that scene...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Fedya said:

He didn't die. At least in the film.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Cloris has been around a long time. I remember she was the opening actress in the cult classic Kiss Me Deadly.

With her leaving us it really is the end of an era.

One thing I remember about "Kiss Me Deadly" is that Percy Helton and Strother Martin also were in it.  Fourteen years later, they all appeared in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."

My Love Of Old Hollywood: Horseathon: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid  (1969)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2