Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cloris Leachman, 1926-2021

Like others, I'm completely flabbergasted that TCM failed to make a TCM Remembers tribute, not even mentioning her passing on the website.  To show her movies, including her Academy Award-winning performance in The Last Picture Show, but not issue a tribute seems somehow rather callous. Sadly, today's TCM is not the TCM of old. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ClassicMindset said:

today's TCM is not the TCM of old. 

Even sadder, TCM never was the TCM of old.  

I don't criticize TCM for not doing what I think it ought to do, but for an Academy Award winner from such a notable picture,  not having a remembrance and at least a couple of movies in tribute, they dropped the ball. 

• Thanks 1

Where is her Tribute!  I just see the one for Cicely Tyson over and over, it's odd they would not do one for Cloris as well.  She was such an incredible and diverse actress and comedian. 

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Last night, the Twilight Zone episode on METV was "It's A Good Life" with CHLORIS LEACHMAN as BILLY MUMY's mother.   Her impact on our culture is enormous! 

They also showed an out-of-sequence Perry Mason episode just before that that featured Leachman.

38 minutes ago, Vikki said:

Where is her Tribute!  I just see the one for Cicely Tyson over and over, it's odd they would not do one for Cloris as well.  She was such an incredible and diverse actress and comedian. 

They probably consider her a TV star and not deserving of one (NOT true)

On 1/30/2021 at 7:23 PM, laffite said:

She was excellent in the portrayal of the somewhat scatter-brained mother of Daisy Miller (Cybill Shepberd) in the movie of the same name. If you haven't seen this don't let scatter-brained fool you. Although she is a bit amusing at times, this is a seriously dramatic role and she delivers.

I've always wanted to see this film. Too bad its Paramount.

Does anybody but me remember when she played Ruth Martin on Lassie during that first season when that family replaced the Millers?  She said she realized early on this was not for her and bailed.  June Lockhart quickly replaced her but for some strange reason, producers thought we viewers couldn't tell reel life from reality and replaced the actor playing Mr. Martin as well so we wouldn't think he'd traded wives.  Stuff like this makes we sometimes wonder where  executives' heads are at.

13 minutes ago, wouldbestar said:

Does anybody but me remember when she played Ruth Martin on Lassie during that first season when that family replaced the Millers?  She said she realized early on this was not for her and bailed.  June Lockhart quickly replaced her but for some strange reason, producers thought we viewers couldn't tell reel life from reality and replaced the actor playing Mr. Martin as well so we wouldn't think he'd traded wives.  Stuff like this makes we sometimes wonder where  executives' heads are at.

LOL. My memory doesnt go that far back. I do remember the first Timmy, but not Cloris.  When did they change Timmy?

Here is TCM's response. I will post if programming gets back with me.

Thanks for reaching out to TCM. We appreciate your feedback. We try our hardest to make TCM the best experience it can be and we know our fans expect a lot from our channel. It’s helpful to hear from you about how we can improve to hopefully exceed your expectations. Your comments have been forwarded to the Programming Department.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Here is TCM's response. I will post if programming gets back with me.

Thanks for reaching out to TCM. We appreciate your feedback. We try our hardest to make TCM the best experience it can be and we know our fans expect a lot from our channel. It’s helpful to hear from you about how we can improve to hopefully exceed your expectations. Your comments have been forwarded to the Programming Department.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

A wordier version of "Message received.  Duly noted."

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

It definitely wouldn't.  I think the backlot went kaput! 

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

REALLY??? LMREO!!!

From the Backlot homepage:

We are no longer taking new members or renewals for Backlot, but rest assured, if you have entered a contest you will still be eligible to win. We are always looking to provide the best fan experience possible, and we are busy putting together new opportunities for you to engage with the network, our hosts, our guests and our events. Make sure you’re signed up for TCM emails and follow us on social to ensure you are always up to date on all things TCM.

• 3 weeks later...

I would imagine the movie titles Leachman is in may be difficult for TCM to secure for broadcast. Looking at her filmography, I can imagine several different entities own the rights and TCM may not have working relationships with them. And if the films are offered for rental, they are packaged with other films by the distributor, which may not go well with TCM programming.

But, I was surprised to see a SOMETHING WEIRD release broadcast on TCM last month, so you never know. With so many corporations owning other corporations, you need to be "a lawyer, not a programmer, Jim"!

• Like 1
On 2/2/2021 at 5:14 PM, Hibi said:

I sent in a complaint. Will share here if I ever get an answer. Am sure it will be the standard B.S.

And you wonder why the programmer didn't get back to you?