Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

April 2021 "31 Days of Oscar 2021"

Thank you.  I have been staying safe and healthy.  I hope you have too and everybody too.  I actually just subscribed to TCM’s YouTube channel yesterday.  I can’t wait to try it out.  I’m really looking forward to it.  Is it brand new and what should I expect as I watch it?

• Like 1

Oh.  So it will actually be a first time for you too ha?  So you’ll check it out too.  I think we’re going to love it and TopBilled?  Remember.  If there’s any kind of particular programming you would love to see here on TCM sometime?  Like the same programming as me or if you maybe come up with anything really creative?  Let me know and maybe you and I could start a thread together.  I really love it when we have the same ideas and same tastes and by the way.  I’m still hoping Rick Moranis could maybe come to TCM as a guest programmer sometime.  How about you and I’m still really looking forward to the new Honey I Shrunk The Kids with him returning to reprise his role as Professor Wayne Salinski and Josh Gads as an all grown up Nick Sallinski and I was thinking.  Maybe his brother Gordon Salinski from Honey We Shrunk Ourselves will be back too.  He was funny.  Wasn’t he and I may have mentioned this before.  Remember his appearances on Sesame Street?  Those were great too.  Weren’t they and someone also said he could have also been in the Honey I Shrunk The Snuffleoffigus episode too.  I think he would have also been great in that one too.  Wouldn’t he?  I’m also still really hoping for Danny Kaye as SOTM sometime too.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

I’m still really looking forward to the new Honey I Shrunk The Kids with him returning to reprise his role as Professor Wayne Salinski and Josh Gads as an all grown up Nick Sallinski and I was thinking.  Maybe his brother Gordon Salinski from Honey We Shrunk Ourselves will be back too.  He was funny.  

I believe SHRUNK (the newer one) will be a video on demand. Not sure how they will make it available, but it should be fun.

I like the alphabetical format. Even though a lot of the movies are ones TCM shows often, at least they're going to be at different times. I spotted a few foreign films on during daylight hours.

• Like 1

Hey TopBilled.  Like I said the other day.  You know how every now and then we’ve been talking about how we would really love to see Danny Kaye as SOTM sometime and I’ve mentioned this before.  I think somewhere on this board actually.  Did you ever see Kraft Salutes Disneyland’s 25th Anniversary from 1980 that he hosted?  With all the guest stars and stuff?  He was so good and that’s when I first saw him and got to know who he was.  I didn’t know his name at first.  But I thought.  This guy’s really good and at first I thought he was still alive.  But of course.  He died.  In 1987.  So if you haven’t seen this?  Watch it on YouTube.  It’s so fun.  I used to watch it on The Disney Channel as part of The Wonderful World Of Disney on Vault Disney.  Disney’s Wonderful World.  Now I watch it on YouTube from time to time.  He hosted a Walt Disney World special from Epcot too.  But I don’t think I’ve seen all of that yet though.  I will sometime.

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

Hey TopBilled.  Like I said the other day.  You know how every now and then we’ve been talking about how we would really love to see Danny Kaye as SOTM sometime and I’ve mentioned this before.  I think somewhere on this board actually.  Did you ever see Kraft Salutes Disneyland’s 25th Anniversary from 1980 that he hosted?  With all the guest stars and stuff?  He was so good and that’s when I first saw him and got to know who he was.  I didn’t know his name at first.  But I thought.  This guy’s really good and at first I thought he was still alive.  But of course.  He died.  In 1987.  So if you haven’t seen this?  Watch it on YouTube.  It’s so fun.  I used to watch it on The Disney Channel as part of The Wonderful World Of Disney on Vault Disney.  Disney’s Wonderful World.  Now I watch it on YouTube from time to time.  He hosted a Walt Disney World special from Epcot too.  But I don’t think I’ve seen all of that yet though.  I will sometime.

I have not seen the Kraft special with Danny Kaye. But thanks for letting me know about it! :) 

On 2/1/2021 at 5:17 PM, David Guercio said:

Thank you.  I have been staying safe and healthy.  I hope you have too and everybody too.  I actually just subscribed to TCM’s YouTube channel yesterday.  I can’t wait to try it out.  I’m really looking forward to it.  Is it brand new and what should I expect as I watch it?

It's actually been there for quite a while. They have lots of past and recent interviews and documentaries as well as sections for their memorials, monthly on-air promos, and some of the other in between film content we see on TV.

I was hoping they would upload the wraparounds to Silent Sundays, Imports, and Noir Alley, because I think those would be of interest to link on those forum pages, but they haven't done so. 😕

You’re welcome.  Let me know when you’ve watched it and what you thought about it ok.  It’s on YouTube.  Just type it in.  Hit search and you’re all set.  It will either be from when it originally aired.  From when it was on Vault Disney on The Disney Channel or both.  Enjoy.  If you have any trouble?  Let me know.

• Thanks 1
On 1/28/2021 at 4:15 PM, Vidor said:

Once again don't see anything new in the foreign films.  That seems like low-hanging fruit they're passing up.  There have to be all sorts of long-forgotten foreign films out there that they could get a good set of subtitles for. 

I've suggested some foreign language films before for TCM to show.  Here it is again:

Pharoah

The Battle of Neretva

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

The Garden of the Finzi-Continis

Black and White in Color

Coup de Torchon

Colonel Redl

The Nasty Girl

Open Doors

Also worth showing:

Divorce, Italian Style

The Four Days of Naples (shown at least once)

The Brothers Karamazov (nearly four hours:  I wonder how the Soviet Union would make a movie of this very non-communist author's greatest book)

Lagaan

Farewell my Concubine

The Man Without a Past

Waltz with Bashir

The White Ribbon

• Like 1

What is happening with 31 Days of Oscar?  This programming is terrible. I see they have put Summer Under the Stars on streaming so is that where 31 Days of Oscar has also gone?  February and August have been my favorite months for viewing TCM. 

14 hours ago, skimpole said:

I've suggested some foreign language films before for TCM to show.  Here it is again:

Pharoah

The Battle of Neretva

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

The Garden of the Finzi-Continis

Black and White in Color

Coup de Torchon

Colonel Redl

The Nasty Girl

Open Doors

Also worth showing:

Divorce, Italian Style

The Four Days of Naples (shown at least once)

The Brothers Karamazov (nearly four hours:  I wonder how the Soviet Union would make a movie of this very non-communist author's greatest book)

Lagaan

Farewell my Concubine

The Man Without a Past

Waltz with Bashir

The White Ribbon

I've seen many of these.  It's a pretty solid list.  Maybe, with the balkanization of media continuing and TCM in all likelihood being largely limited to the Warner and MGM archives, it would pay for them to get more into foreign film.

"Coup de Torchon" is really good.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:51 PM, DesertRose1950 said:

What is happening with 31 Days of Oscar?  This programming is terrible. I see they have put Summer Under the Stars on streaming so is that where 31 Days of Oscar has also gone?  February and August have been my favorite months for viewing TCM. 

The Academy Awards were moved to April 25 for this year due to the pandemic. TCM will be showing their Oscars programming in April instead of February to match when the ceremony is going to be held.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, TCMallnightlong said:

Last year was the first time I enjoyed Oscar month, I hope the lineup is as good this year.

Isn't the line-up mostly the same,  each and every year?     I'm trying to recall what was unique about the last TCM Oscar month,  and nothing comes to mind. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 5:13 PM, Polly of the Precodes said:
  1. Thank you for compiling this.
  2. Nothing on the schedule I want to see; maybe I'll dip into that John Ford boxset.
  3. After the May 2 entries, the April entries repeat.
  4. Primetime programming for March 31 is still TBA. Any idea what TCM plans to show? (Probably documentaries about the history of the Academy Awards.)

4) The void on March 31 between Hotel and Adam's Rib has been filled out with creature features.

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

4) The void on March 31 between Hotel and Adam's Rib has been filled out with creature features.

Thanks. I meant to check that earlier.

On 2/13/2021 at 6:21 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Isn't the line-up mostly the same,  each and every year?     I'm trying to recall what was unique about the last TCM Oscar month,  and nothing comes to mind. 

I think that's the problem with Oscars month for me.  Every year, there's only a finite pool of films to choose from.  Regardless of how the schedules are organized, it's always going to be the same mix of films over and over, just in a different order.

38 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

They’re having them in April this year.  Because the Oscars are actually in April this year.  Right?

That's correct. Although given the dismal ratings for the Golden Globes this year, it is a question how many will turn into the Oscars.