Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

April 2021 "31 Days of Oscar 2021"


Recommended Posts

On 2/28/2021 at 2:59 PM, speedracer5 said:

I think that's the problem with Oscars month for me.  Every year, there's only a finite pool of films to choose from.  Regardless of how the schedules are organized, it's always going to be the same mix of films over and over, just in a different order.

Precisely. I'm tempted to actually try to compile a list of Oscar-nominated films that have not  been on TCM before. i have a feeling that there would be very few before the 90s that have not been featured on TCM, and the ones that were for the most part would be foreign-language films and documentaries (plus a handful of late 20s films lost to the ravages of time)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Fox is not much featured this year, I'll start with 1935 and later,  pre-2000 Oscar nominated Fox films never on TCM, beginning at 1999 and going back [films in italics were up for a major award; films in bold won a major award):

1999: Anna and the King, Star Wars Episode I, Boys Don't Cry, Fight Club, Titus

1998: The Thin Red Line, Bulworth

1997: The Full Monty, Oscar and Lucinda, Anastasia

1996: One Fine Day, Independence Day, That Thing You Do!, The Crucible

1994: True Lies, Speed, Nell

1993: Mrs. Doubtfire

1992: Hoffa, Alien³, Toys, My Cousin Vinny

1991; Grand Canyon, Barton FinkFor the Boys, The Commitments

1990: Home Alone, Edward Scissorhands, Young Guns II

1989: The Abyss, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Enemies: A Love Story

1988: Die Hard, Working Girl, Big

1987: Wall Street, The Princess Bride, Mannequin, Predator

1986; The Morning After, The Fly

1985: Ladyhawke

1983: Heart Like a Wheel, Return of the Jedi

1982: Quest for Fire

1980: The Empire Strikes Back, Tribute

1979: The Rose, Butch and Sundance: The Early Days

1978: An Unmarried Woman

1977: The Turning Point, The Other Side of Midnight

1976: The Omen, Silver Streak

1975; Whiffs

1972; The Hot Rock

1968: The boys of Paul Street

1964: The Visit

1963: The Stripper

1958: A Certain Smile, Mardi Gras

1956: Between Heaven and Hell, The Best Things in Life Are Free

1954; Hell and High Water

1952: The Pride of St. Louis

1951; The Frogmen

1950; Wabash Avenue, I'll Get By

1949: Sand, Prince of Foxes

1948: The Luck of the Irish, When My Baby Smiles at Me, Deep Waters

1946; Centennial Summer

1945: Captain Eddie

1944: Wing and a Prayer, Irish Eyes are Smiling

1943: The Gang's All Here, Crash Dive

1942: The Pied Piper, Ten Gentlemen from West point, Moontide

1940: Tin Pan Alley, Lillian Russell

1939; Swanee River

1937; Thin Ice

1936; Sing Baby Sing, One in a Million, King of Burlesque

1935: The Gay Deception, Thanks a Million

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking as the sole defender of "31 Days of Oscar" on this forum...I guess I don't see the huge problem with a largely similar slate of movies.  We agree that TCM should show "Casablanca", "Citizen Kane", and the like, films that are part of the channel's core mission?  Why not show them in March?  (Or as it happens this year, April.)

It is unfortunate that rights issues keep some films off the lineup.  It's too bad that they'll probably never show the Godfather films.  And as we've discussed before there are certainly ways that they can expand the lineup.  Give us a 2-hr block of animated shorts, give us a block of live-action shorts, more documentaries, more foreign films.  But there's nothing wrong with 31 Days of Oscar as a concept.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, is there a detailed April schedule up yet?  I'm depending on you fine people to help me see the live-action shorts that they *do* show next month, which are typically filler between the features.  "Goodbye, Miss Turlock" is quite good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in February 2019 TCM Programmer finally gain the rights to schedule "South Pacific" for a one-time  only broadcast.   TCM is showing the "Ten Commandments" in movie theatres across the United States at the end of March 2021 but has never scheduled this title on the network during the 31 Days of Oscar in the past.  Why?  It would be helpful if TCM Programmer could  explain this phenomenon?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a massive undertaking, and I don't even know if it's been considered, but something to make '31 Days of Oscar' stand out more, would be wrap-arounds for all the films shown, and not just during prime time viewing?  With 5 knowledgeable TCM hosts and plenty of industry men and women and critics available, I think it would be interesting to talk about the films or various nominees with back stories to share.  Another possibility, and it would probably be hard to schedule, but have a different category each day (or every 2 or 3 days) to show nominated films:  best supporting actor followed by best cinematography, followed by best editing, best makeup, best costume design, etc.   I like the concept to the programming TCM does for '31 Days', but after seeing a lot of the same films over the years, it can lose its freshness and effervescence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, midwestan said:

Another possibility, and it would probably be hard to schedule, but have a different category each day (or every 2 or 3 days) to show nominated films:  best supporting actor followed by best cinematography, followed by best editing, best makeup, best costume design, etc.   I like the concept to the programming TCM does for '31 Days', but after seeing a lot of the same films over the years, it can lose its freshness and effervescence. 

 

That's my favorite idea, to have films blocked out by awards.  Start with the first alphabetical award, which I believe is Best Actor.  Work your way through every single one to the last one which is Best Visual Effects.  Include the discontinued categories, even if your programming block for "Unique and Artistic Quality of Production" is only one movie.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thomasterryjr said:

Back in February 2019 TCM Programmer finally gain the rights to schedule "South Pacific" for a one-time  only broadcast.   TCM is showing the "Ten Commandments" in movie theatres across the United States at the end of March 2021 but has never scheduled this title on the network during the 31 Days of Oscar in the past.  Why?  It would be helpful if TCM Programmer could  explain this phenomenon?

These in-theater screenings are presented by Fathom Events (https://www.fathomevents.com/). They 1) secure the theater screening rights from the rightsholder (Paramount in the case of The Ten Commandments); 2) buy the rights to use the TCM trademark for promotional purposes; and 3) commission Ben M. to record wraparound segments for the film. Paramount has licensed the U.S. broadcast rights to ABC exclusively since 1973; I'd be very surprised if Disney were to release that stranglehold even for 31 Days of Oscar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The first few days of the programming slate are on my cable guide now and no short films included as of yet.  I'll be checking the terrible new TCM guide myself but I would be grateful for a heads-up from any of you fine people if you see a short in the 31 Days of Oscar schedule.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2021 at 11:08 AM, midwestan said:

Another possibility, and it would probably be hard to schedule, but have a different category each day (or every 2 or 3 days) to show nominated films:  best supporting actor followed by best cinematography, followed by best editing, best makeup, best costume design, etc. 

I believe one year they did that. It was a fabulous break from every title shown being a "Best Picture". I think they even had a day of "best stuntwork" winners. I kind of recall it was the first time TCM ever showed ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE '74 as a "Best Editing" Oscar winner.

(but my memory is often faulty)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in time for 31 Days, some interesting stats I found from an acquaintance on the internet. Runtime totals (and the percentage of how much of the film they were in) for all 4 of the acting categories with almost all the nominees from the 20s to today listed. Some are surprisingly long or short.

leading Actor: https://www.screentimecentral.com/leading-actor-nominees

leading Actress: https://www.screentimecentral.com/leading-actress-nominees

supporting Actor; https://www.screentimecentral.com/supporting-actor-nominees

supporting Actress: https://www.screentimecentral.com/supporting-actress-nominees

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a problem with them showing more modern movies during this month. It's just from the theme I know just about everything is going to be a tentpole classic, and I've seen them all/own them all. Plus lots of Academy decisions do not hold up well over the years. Around the World in 80 days anyone? At least this month long hiatus is happening  during the spring and not in the depths of winter. 

This is basically an opportunity for TCM to do two things: 1. Build an audience with the tentpoles. 2. Lower expenses because 31 Days of Oscar is actually 90%  31 Days of MGM/WB/RKO Oscar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Since Fox is not much featured this year, I'll start with 1935 and later,  pre-2000 Oscar nominated Fox films never on TCM, beginning at 1999 and going back [films in italics were up for a major award; films in bold won a major award):

1999: Anna and the King, Star Wars Episode I, Boys Don't Cry, Fight Club, Titus

1998: The Thin Red Line, Bulworth

1997: The Full Monty, Oscar and Lucinda, Anastasia

1996: One Fine Day, Independence Day, That Thing You Do!, The Crucible

1994: True Lies, Speed, Nell

1993: Mrs. Doubtfire

1992: Hoffa, Alien³, Toys, My Cousin Vinny

1991; Grand Canyon, Barton FinkFor the Boys, The Commitments

1990: Home Alone, Edward Scissorhands, Young Guns II

1989: The Abyss, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Enemies: A Love Story

1988: Die Hard, Working Girl, Big

1987: Wall Street, The Princess Bride, Mannequin, Predator

1986; The Morning After, The Fly

1985: Ladyhawke

1983: Heart Like a Wheel, Return of the Jedi

1982: Quest for Fire

1980: The Empire Strikes Back, Tribute

1979: The Rose, Butch and Sundance: The Early Days

1978: An Unmarried Woman

1977: The Turning Point, The Other Side of Midnight

1976: The Omen, Silver Streak

1975; Whiffs

1972; The Hot Rock

1968: The boys of Paul Street

1964: The Visit

1963: The Stripper

1958: A Certain Smile, Mardi Gras

1956: Between Heaven and Hell, The Best Things in Life Are Free

1954; Hell and High Water

1952: The Pride of St. Louis

1951; The Frogmen

1950; Wabash Avenue, I'll Get By

1949: Sand, Prince of Foxes

1948: The Luck of the Irish, When My Baby Smiles at Me, Deep Waters

1946; Centennial Summer

1945: Captain Eddie

1944: Wing and a Prayer, Irish Eyes are Smiling

1943: The Gang's All Here, Crash Dive

1942: The Pied Piper, Ten Gentlemen from West point, Moontide

1940: Tin Pan Alley, Lillian Russell

1939; Swanee River

1937; Thin Ice

1936; Sing Baby Sing, One in a Million, King of Burlesque

1935: The Gay Deception, Thanks a Million

Thanks for the information, but you are never going to see these films because the entire Fox catalog is now owned by Disney. If 21st century Disney excels at anything it is burying everything they own in the backyard. They just want you to cough up the bucks for Disney+, film history be damned. Disney is certainly not going to bother to restore the old films that they already own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2021 at 3:50 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Since Fox is not much featured this year, I'll start with 1935 and later,  pre-2000 Oscar nominated Fox films never on TCM, beginning at 1999 and going back [films in italics were up for a major award; films in bold won a major award):

1999: Anna and the King, Star Wars Episode I, Boys Don't Cry, Fight Club, Titus

1998: The Thin Red Line, Bulworth

1

Somebody should do this for the other studios.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally I'm annoyed that many of the movies I wanted to see this  month aren't going to be shown on TCM Canada.  On the one hand, I can't be surprised that TCM Canada won't show Hangmen Also Die, Primrose Path or Random Harvest.  But I'm peeved that I can't see Carol, The Egg and I, Lies my Father told Me, Mona Lisa, or Twice in a Lifetime.  Of these Mona Lisa was the one I most wanted to see.  The failure to see Lies My Father Told Me is most annoying.  It's a Canadian movie.  How can it easier to get the American viewing rights than the Canadian ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skimpole said:

Of these Mona Lisa was the one I most wanted to see.  The failure to see Lies My Father Told Me is most annoying.  It's a Canadian movie. 

Yipes!

I peruse the schedule a month in advance (currently looking over May) and pick out my "must sees" - MONA LISA made my list too. Why not try your library for a copy? My library has it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...