Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)

Too many!  Too fast!

What a fine actress.  And a fine lady.  A champion of human dignity, propriety, and probity.  As TomJH says above, she made one of the absolute greatest moments in cinema.  It's acting, it's a story, a performance, but coming from her, is so honest, so true, it stabs me to the heart every time I see it:

• Like 3

Thank goodness she was honored with a special Academy Award in 2018 for her "unforgettable performances" and "personal integrity." 

• Like 3

Tyson won two 1974 Primetime Emmy Awards -- Outstanding  Lead Actress in a Drama and Actress of the Year – Special -- for her performance as a centenarian and former enslaved person in "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman." The made-for-television production -- based on the 1971 novel by Ernest J. Gaines -- received seven other Emmys,  including Outstanding Special - Comedy or Drama.

Her third Primetime Emmy was for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Special in the 1994 CBS production "Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All." 

• Thanks 2

In 2013, Tyson won the Tony Award for Leading Actress in a Play for her work in a Broadway revival of Horton Foote's "The Trip to Bountiful." She had turned 88 several months earlier, making her the oldest performer to win a Tony.

See the source image

• Like 2

I never noticed until a couple of years ago that she was on the jacket cover of Miles Davis' 1967 LP "Sorcerer." Tyson and Davis were a longtime couple and married from 1981 to 1988.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During the 1963-64 television season  -- two years before Bill Cosby starred in NBC's "I Spy" -- Tyson was a regular in the CBS drama series "East Side/West Side."

The show starred George C. Scott as Neil Brock, a New York city social worker. Tyson played Jane Foster, a social worker aide. The actress became the first African-American to have a recurring role in a network television drama.

She also was the first actress to wear a natural hairstyle on a television series.

See the source image

• Like 4