Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)

I just herd about Cicely Tyson’s passing on the news last night and thought oh no.  What are they going to do on Live tomorrow?  She was scheduled to be on Live With Kelly And Ryan this morning and they had actually taped today’s show on Wednesday.  So she was on.  Kelly had made an announcement at the very beginning.  It was great seeing her on.  She had just written and come out with a new book.  I’ll be getting it and she had just turned 96 years old last month.  This is too bad and so sad.  She was such a really wonderful actress.  Wasn’t she and I would have just loved to have met her at the TCM Classic Film Festival and on the TCM Classic Cruise and the movie Sounder.  Which they show here on TCM of course.  Including on The Essentials.  Great movie ha?  When will there be a tribute to her.  I’ll be watching.  She will surely be missed.  RIP Cicely.  We’ll all really miss you a whole lot and we all really love you a whole lot.

7 hours ago, slaytonf said:

As most likely already know, there will be a tribute to her on Sunday.  Sounder (1972), and A Man Called Adam (1966). 

They couldn't get "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" (1968) with Alan Arkin?

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968) – RJB's Movie (and TV) Blog

• Like 1

The first thing I remember seeing Cicely Tyson in was "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman".  Not only was her performance riveting, but I thought the makeup job they did on her was outstanding as she went from a young woman to a centenarian.

• Like 2

Ms. Tyson was a major part of my childhood growing up. He level of acting skill was what I thought was the norm because that was all I knew. Until time passed and I realized just how special she was. What she did with those roles to make them iconic and stand the test of time. I'm amazed she was so active for such a long time.

I even caught her on an episode of "To Tell The Truth" as one of the liars 🙂

She definitely will be missed. Its good to see TCM give her such a tribute. She certainly deserves it.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, jakeem said:

They couldn't get "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" (1968) with Alan Arkin?

I see it's on 2 Feb. at 8:45pm Pacific.  Not part of the tribute, but better than nuttin.

• Thanks 3

A Man Called Adam is a terrific tribute to Cicely Tyson. Whereas she has only a supporting role in The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, in A Man Called Adam she has the romantic lead opposite Sammy Davis, Jr. Davis plays a very talented but very messed-up musician, and Tyson plays a civil rights activist who can't help getting involved with him. Her performance made me think not about acting but about real emotions and real life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unless I am mistaken, the evening of films dedicated to Cicely Tyson (airing tonight) was scheduled a few months ago by the programmers.

Ironic? Foresight? At any rate, it's a timely tribute.

v90LrlR__bigger.jpg

Admirers of Hollywood icon Cicely Tyson, who died Jan. 28 at the age of 96, will get a chance to say goodbye to her today at the historic Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, where she will lie in repose.

• Thanks 1