Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shrinking screen sizes

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I've run across that kind of problem.

Right now my fairly new 50" flat panel monitor is set at a  16:9 aspect ratio.  On TCM most movies made up until the very early '50's fill the screen.  And it depends on how some stations are broadcasting.   Example---

MeTV now broadcasts in a ratio  That not only gives me thick bars on top and bottom, but on both sides too.  Giving the effect of viewing old TV shows on an old 26" diagonal TV screen.   And AntennaTV, which used to show the old BURNS AND ALLEN SHOW in an aspect that filled that screen now switched to one that  does that too.  And every TV show made after 1980 up to recently is letterboxed.  I really don't know why.  I didn't have this problem with my old rear projection Hitachi, which was marketed as a "widescreen" set.  And I blame myself for not checking out all settings my now LG monitor offered before I bought it . As the Hitachi did have an aspect ratio setting available that was called "4:3 extended".  The LG has no such setting.  Now, I could set it at "all direction zoom" to fill the screen, but in most cases I'll lose some percentage of image  And no, I never ordered an HD option on my service, though I wonder if the box they replaced my original one that crapped out, and was the only one the tech had in his truck and is radically different from the one it replaced might have anything to do with anything.   :unsure:

Sepiatone

MeTV's master feed to its stations is in 16:9 and has been since 2016.   

I get MeTV over the air via an indoor antenna (my TV provider doesn't carry it).  The aspect ratio of the picture is 16:9, but most all of MeTV's programming is either 4:3 or a compromise ratio of 14:9.  Some content owners have remastered their old 4:3 content into 16:9 HD and if MeTV has those properties, they show it in 16:9.  If the source material is 4:3, they will usually use the 14:9 ratio for original filmed content, and 4:3 for original videotaped content.  Most of the shows MeTV currently runs were filmed, and not videotaped.  One notable exception is The Carol Burnett Show.

The 14:9 compromise lops off the top and bottom of a 4:3 frame to produce a wider picture.  It doesn't quite fill a 16:9 picture edge to edge, leaving narrow black bars on the side.  

• Like 1

I do see  many streaming TV shows & movies are "uploaded incorrectly" as Ohio said so the format cannot be corrected. This was mentioned before concerning old TV shows- I was incredibly disappointed when binge watching CYBILL to see only the last season was stretched upon uploading.

The "normal" setting (square, like before widescreen) button is non functional when using a streaming signal! Sorry, I cannot watch anything in the wrong aspect ratio & cannot understand how anyone can watch a distorted picture. Thankfully, I have an older, modest 32" Sony TV that has a button right on top to easily change the screen format.

Particularly annoying when watching MrTiki's big 60" Sony TV. The wide/normal/zoom choices are not an easy remote button, but have to be changed going into the picture "settings". Of course it's wholly worth the 30 seconds it takes to change it, but not easy for anyone elderly to fiddle with TV settings every time. 

I really hope future TVs figure this out instead of ignoring it thinking "no one wants to see it THAT way".  With so much classic TV & movies made "that" way, YES WE DO!

I did find the Aspect (#) button on my Spectrum remote and tried it.  Stretch, Normal, Expanded, etc.  Didn't like any of them except Normal.    Made very little meaningful difference in the size of the TCM On Demand movie I referred to earlier.

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I do see  many streaming TV shows & movies are "uploaded incorrectly" as Ohio said so the format cannot be corrected. This was mentioned before concerning old TV shows- I was incredibly disappointed when binge watching CYBILL to see only the last season was stretched upon uploading.

The "normal" setting (square, like before widescreen) button is non functional when using a streaming signal! Sorry, I cannot watch anything in the wrong aspect ratio & cannot understand how anyone can watch a distorted picture. Thankfully, I have an older, modest 32" Sony TV that has a button right on top to easily change the screen format.

Particularly annoying when watching MrTiki's big 60" Sony TV. The wide/normal/zoom choices are not an easy remote button, but have to be changed going into the picture "settings". Of course it's wholly worth the 30 seconds it takes to change it, but not easy for anyone elderly to fiddle with TV settings every time. 

I really hope future TVs figure this out instead of ignoring it thinking "no one wants to see it THAT way".  With so much classic TV & movies made "that" way, YES WE DO!

Ok let's think "old school" here.  Maybe a big long button all along the right side (for those who are right-handed), so it changes each time you reach out and whack it?

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/rcrumb-tv.jpg

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

In a similar vein, I noticed Popeye looked like this on TCM Saturday morning:

w9ljFcy.jpeg

I haven’t been watching the cartoons enough to know if this was a glitch or if they are commonly being stretched.  🙃

That's the 14:9 ratio I mentioned above.  They do it by cropping a 4:3 frame at the top and bottom.  It's most noticeable on title cards, where occasionally the tops or bottoms of letters will be cut off.

For a short while AntennaTV was broadcasting in a wide letterboxed aspect that made everybody look twice as wide as they were normally.  And normally heavyset folks looked ridiculous.

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

That's the 14:9 ratio I mentioned above.  They do it by cropping a 4:3 frame at the top and bottom.  It's most noticeable on title cards, where occasionally the tops or bottoms of letters will be cut off.

A compromise of sorts no doubt.  Hopefully it remains limited in use. 

The Popeye cartoon has been posted to WatchTCM in the standard 4:3 aspect ratio, so I think the presentation on Saturday morning was just an operator error.  I've seen this type of error before, where it looks like there is an 'anamorphic widescreen'-type setting somewhere that is incorrect.  I really don't think TCM is normally showing anything (so far) that falls into the 14:9 category.  If you ask me, such an alteration of the original presentation aspect ratio would be against their religion.  Of course there can be individual cases where the film source is not what they would like, but in general I believe TCM tries to letterbox / pillarbox to preserve the original format as needed.

On 1/31/2021 at 9:17 AM, ElCid said:

I have a 39" HD TV and all my DVD's and 90% of TV shows are full screen.  However, some shrink with bars on sides or top and bottom or all four.

Last night I watched Journal of A Crime (1934) on TCM On Demand on Spectrum cable.  The screen shrank from 39" to 21" with bars on all four sides.  What's the reason for this?

Its not the size of the film, its the shape that's the issue.

Through the years, movies were filmed at various aspect ratios. Old TV screens tended to be square. The only way to fit a rectangle onto a square is:

1. To have extra space on the top and bottom. (You see everything but, its a bit smaller). or:
  2. Have the camera pan from right to left (and you end up missing parts of the scene).

Newer TV's are more rectangle but, as I said, movies are made at various sizes and shapes. So no screen can accommodate them all. Unless you get a projector.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:57 PM, cmovieviewer said:

In a similar vein, I noticed Popeye looked like this on TCM Saturday morning:

w9ljFcy.jpeg

I haven’t been watching the cartoons enough to know if this was a glitch or if they are commonly being stretched.  🙃

So why does Olive Oyl looks NORMAL?

I  hooked up an old school  crosshatch generator to my TV's video input and to my puzzlement the pattern was still square not turned slightly rectangled. :huh:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHsXu9HEu3y5_4sofpalL

Edited by hamradio
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, hamradio said:

So why does Olive Oyl looks NORMAL?

I  hooked up an old school  crosshatch / color bar generator to my TV's video input and to my puzzlement the pattern was still square not turned slightly rectangled. :huh:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHsXu9HEu3y5_4sofpalL

So was it an SD output connected to an SD input?

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

So was it an SD output connected to an SD input?

It was the standard video input. The generator is from the early 1980's

Built it in 2016

PANA0593.jpg

PANA0595.jpg

The pattern appears the same perfectly squared boxes regardless of picture setting.

Does the same on my computer HD security monitor which has a video input along with VGA  It's the only type which supports older computer platforms well as my present Dell.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Fancy paper towels there, ham.

They're Bounty used to protect the table surface during construction.  Also makes the object I'm photographing stand out.

Tip: I only uses Viva for cleaning delicate surfaces i.e. plexiglass, computer printers.  Couple of decades ago Bounty use to been soft preventing hairline scratches but the company changed how they're  made. :(

Use Kleenex for radio dial face plates, LCD readouts, etc. 

Even when using Viva, still must use light pressure as possible.  I take care of my stuff.

3 hours ago, hamradio said:

Even when using Viva, still must use light pressure as possible.  I take care of my stuff.

Wow, glad you have good luck with it!  No wood pulp products are used to wipe anything in this house, only cloth. And yes, I meant that too. (no 2020 panic for me!)

I can sometimes even polish out DVD scratches. The item I hate washing the most? LPs.

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow, glad you have good luck with it!  No wood pulp products are used to wipe anything in this house, only cloth. And yes, I meant that too. (no 2020 panic for me!)

I can sometimes even polish out DVD scratches. The item I hate washing the most? LPs.

61qecK6FG-L._AC_SX425_.jpg

61B559HtGCL.jpg

Never leave out or store vinyl records, Laserdisc without sleeves even if using jackets.  I keep replacements.

7INPOLY-2.jpg?v-cache=1431612591

IS680661-01-01-BIG.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I've been doing that for CD's, DVD's when (rarely) needed but there is a limit of how many times it can be done.  I keep my disc in storage cases.

I do too, and usually get away with cleaning them with one of those alcohol swabs my wife used to use before giving herself her insulin shots( then later I gave them to her).  Works fine.

Oh, and I had a whole regimen of LP cleaning devices back in the "day", the DISCWASHER brush, that little bottle of solution, and that odd looking ION neutralizing gun.  Kinda looked like this gizmo, only mine was red.  ;) 

Sepiatone

15 hours ago, hamradio said:

61qecK6FG-L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Never leave out or store vinyl records, Laserdisc without sleeves even if using jackets.  I keep replacements.

Noticed the Studebaker cleaning outfit.  Have also noticed Studebaker radios, record players, etc.  in catalogs.  Guess it is another method new companies use to use an old name familiar to older people.  I don't think Studebaker ever made electronic components other than maybe what actually went into their cars.  Even then probably got it from a supplier.

8 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Noticed the Studebaker cleaning outfit.  Have also noticed Studebaker radios, record players, etc.  in catalogs.  Guess it is another method new companies use to use an old name familiar to older people.  I don't think Studebaker ever made electronic components other than maybe what actually went into their cars.  Even then probably got it from a supplier.

Borrowed name only, never had anything to do with cars.

studelogo.png

The Studebaker brand is found on a wide range of exclusive audio products. Retro designs combined with today’s tech and outstanding sound quality provide a beautiful visual and listening experience. Studebaker is a feel, a lifestyle, a state of mind and music that is singularly unique. It is a rare mix of sophisticated design with audio excellence that make all Studebaker products proud to be owned and enjoyed.

https://www.studebakerhifi.com/

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/3/2021 at 2:18 AM, cmovieviewer said:

The Popeye cartoon has been posted to WatchTCM in the standard 4:3 aspect ratio, so I think the presentation on Saturday morning was just an operator error.  I've seen this type of error before, where it looks like there is an 'anamorphic widescreen'-type setting somewhere that is incorrect.  I really don't think TCM is normally showing anything (so far) that falls into the 14:9 category.  If you ask me, such an alteration of the original presentation aspect ratio would be against their religion.  Of course there can be individual cases where the film source is not what they would like, but in general I believe TCM tries to letterbox / pillarbox to preserve the original format as needed.

With only one exception three or four weekends ago when it was in the correct aspect ratio, the Saturday morning Popeye cartoon has been squashed (or stretched; take your pick) since they  got into the mid 1950s color shorts.  It might have been a programming error the first time, but how it keeps happening week after week seems to be intentional for some reason.

• Like 1