Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Exorcism" (aka "Exorcismo") (1975)

Exorcism (aka Exorcismo) (1975)

w/ Paul Naschy, Maria Perschy, María Kosty and Mercedes Molina (as Grace Mills). Directed by Juan Bosch. And written by Juan Bosch and Paul Naschy.

Considering the name of this movie and the year of its release, it should come as no surprise that this is just another exploitation of The Exorcist (1973) with Paul Naschy as the Anglican equivalent of Father Damien Karras (but without the crisis in faith (so maybe he is a younger Father Lankester Merrin instead?)), Maria Perschy as Chris MacNeil and Mercedes Molina as Regan MacNeil (but a Regan old enough to partake in such a Euro movie's requisite nudity). Plus other actors masquerading as Lt. William Kinderman and Dr. Samuel Klein.

And changing the entity from a demon to the spirit of the possessed's father who died in a sanitarium doesn't make that much of a difference. That may add a certain incestual aspect to a scene fairly reminiscent of one from The Legend of Hell House (1973). But, let's be honest, Dante's Inferno is a fairly populated locale. Does it really matter from which of the nine circles of Hell the possessor comes from?

Nor does tossing in a couple of Satanic rituals (which are just an excuse for even more requisite nudity) complete with counterculture youth ala Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972).

Nor does tossing in a few extra mysterious deaths with a few extra red herrings.

Ultimately, we abide all of this filler while awaiting the inevitable exorcism. And that comes off a tad perfunctory. I do love the contact lenses, though!

The end result is, the ultimate sin, boring.

Random comments:

1.) This is the fourth of five movies in The Paul Naschy Collection II Blu-Ray set. Which, considering my opinion of the third movie in that set (The Devil's Possessed (1974)) probably accounts for why it took me this long to get to the fourth movie. And, considering my opinion of this fourth movie, it may be a while before I get to the fifth movie.

2.) And, of the Naschy movies that I've watched (or rewatched) during this go around, I would rank this one third from last as follows:

a) Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll (1974)
b) The Hunchback of the Morgue (1973)
c) Horror Rises from the Tomb (1973)
d) A Dragonfly for Each Corpse (1975)
e) Night of the Werewolf (1981)
f) Count Dracula's Great Love (1973)
g) Human Beasts (1980)
h) Exorcism
i) Vengeance of the Zombies (1973)
j) The Devil's Possessed (1974)

3.) This is one of five movies that the second billed Maria Perschy has in common with Paul Naschy; with the others being The Hunchback of the Morgue (1973), Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll (1974), Kilma, Queen of the Jungle (1975) (a female Tarzan movie) and The People Who Own the Dark (1976). I have not seen the latter two movies.

4.) Maria Perschy was born in 1938. The actor who plays her son, Joan Llaneras, was born in 1943. The actress who plays her older daughter, María Kosty, was born in 1951. Do the math!

5.) And one of four movies that the third billed María Kosty has in common with Paul Naschy; with the others being Vengeance of the Zombies (1973), Disco rojo (1973) (a crime movie) and A Dragonfly for Each Corpse (1975). I have not seen the second of those three movies.

6.) And one of two movies that the fourth billed Mercedes Molina has in common with Paul Naschy; with the other being The Werewolf and the Yeti (1975) which is the fifth and final movie in The Paul Naschy Collection II Blu-Ray set. Hmmm. On second thought, maybe it won't be a while before I get to the fifth movie!

7.) And this is only movie with Paul Naschy that was directed by Juan Bosch. That is a good thing! According to IMDb he has 31 directorial credits and, after this, I have no desire to seek out any of the other 30.

• Like 2

I had not heard of Paul Naschy (that I recall) before reading your review, nor seen any Spanish horror, but you've got me curious. I found a fan site called The Mark of Naschy curated by one Mirek Lipinski, who has an obvious admiration for Mr. Naschy and keeps up with releases and other news about him. I hope to get a look at some of his work soon.

He made a dozen wolfman movies and came to be referred to as a Spanish Lon Chaney. He does look vaguely familiar to me in this photo (one he seems to have preferred, by his handwritten note in the border) but maybe it's just a resemblance to one of Marlon Brando's looks. 

optSdY7.jpg

• Like 2
On 2/5/2021 at 5:51 AM, LuckyDan said:

He does look vaguely familiar to me in this photo (one he seems to have preferred, by his handwritten note in the border) but maybe it's just a resemblance to one of Marlon Brando's looks. 

I think he looks a bit like John Belushi.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, LiamCasey said:

I think he looks a bit like John Belushi.

Now that you mention it ....

I watched Dracula's Great Love overnight. I got what I expected. Boobs and blood. For anyone looking for campy, budget horror, Paul delivers. 

• Like 1